The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt if she ever intended being around long enough to become one.

Do they really think the press will suddenly lose interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she did, and was driven out. I think Harry was right to choose his marriage and family over other considerations.

She wasn’t driven out. She only gave it 19 months and chose to leave of her own accord.

She wasn’t driven out. She only gave it 19 months and chose to leave of her own accord.

19 months of being constantly criticized for everything from her hair, to holding her own belly, to not allowing every invasion or privacy the press tried to shove down her throat. Why should Harry allow his wife to be disrespected like this for the next few decades?

Do they really think the press will suddenly lose interest.

Of course they don't....they know the press will always be interested. Harry especially knows this. The issue wasn't the press being interested in what they do.

LaRae

19 months of being constantly criticized for everything from her hair, to holding her own belly, to not allowing every invasion or privacy the press tried to shove down her throat. Why should Harry allow his wife to be disrespected like this for the next few decades?

The list is longer than that too! It was a lot of negative.

LaRae

And a great deal of Positive

If I were to go about my job with hundreds of people watching and trying to find ways to tear me down, I think I might reasonably come to the conclusion that this was not the job for me.

Some people will not see the classicism, sexism and racism directed at Meghan, but oh well. It's not her job to make people understand where she's coming from. She thought the coverage would be fair, but it really wasn't. A critique is one thing, tearing someone down to sell your content is a different thing altogether.

And a great deal of Positive.

There was SOME positive coverage. Just because the press were sometimes nice, didn't mean they weren't also on the whole, abusive.

How is the criticism going to magically go away? They’re not even talking about living private lives. They still want public lives. That will come with criticism. It won’t go anywhere. I don’t get how this stepping back fixes that. I really don’t.

And she needed to learn how to do what other famous people do- including members of the BRF- not read it all, develop thicker skin, not take it all personally, etc. Not ALLOW it to ruin her life. She chose how to handle this- or not handle it. It is a choice. You can’t control the media as a general thing.

And a great deal of Positive

The focus the past week has be heavily negative. Same with the tabloids and Twitter accounts (most Royal Reporters and those working for said tabloids). Afterall if it bleeds it leads.

LaRae

How is the criticism going to magically go away? They’re not even talking about living private lives. They still want public lives. That will come with criticism. It won’t go anywhere. I don’t get how this stepping back fixes that. I really don’t.

And she needed to learn how to do what other famous people do- including members of the BRF- not read it all, develop thicker skin, not take it all personally, etc. Not ALLOW it to ruin her life. She chose how to handle this- or not handle it. It is a choice. You can’t control the media as a general thing.

It's not clear what their future roles will be. It's hard not to take things personally when others are very personal in their criticism.

Again, there was/is a vocal faction of the public who will always think the worst of someone in Meghan's position. Not even Andrew has been subjected to anything like this, and what he's done is far, far worse.

The focus the past week has be heavily negative here. Same with the tabloids and Twitter accounts (most Royal Reporters and those working for said tabloids). Afterall if it bleeds it leads.

LaRae

Also, how will they fill all those column inches/generate all those clicks if Meghan and Harry refuse to play along?

She thought the coverage would be fair, but it really wasn't..

If she truly thought that, she was incredibly naive. Because the press isn’t “fair” in the United States either. She knew that. Or should have. You can’t miss it.

And she said she talked to Catherine about this life. I assume media would have been discussed. I can’t imagine “fair” would have been Catherine’s adjective of choice either. It wasn’t to her. Or Harry. Would he really have said the press will be fair? Can’t picture it- given his issues with the press.

A simple google search would have told her how fair the media is.

She’s an actress too. She should know just from that. Not on an A list scale, but enough to have a clue how it works.

I find it very hard to comprehend how she ever thought it would be fair. It’s not fair to any famous person.

The focus the past week has be heavily negative. Same with the tabloids and Twitter accounts (most Royal Reporters and those working for said tabloids). Afterall if it bleeds it leads.

LaRae

But I think the negative press is because in many people’s eyes, they have done something negative?

Yep, she was driven out when Charles refused to walk her down the aisle. She was driven out when the Queen didn't make exceptions for her (like allowing her to stay at Sandringham when she/Harry weren't engaged). The only one driving the car is Meghan, with help from Harry.

That's life in the BRF and Harry should have prepared her for that - in other words, do not pay attention to anything the media says, good or bad. Meghan isn't the only one who has suffered at the hands of a mercurial press, but the BRF ignores it and moves on.

Last edited:

Meghan and Harry clearly doing what they need to do to not have their lives "ruined" so to speak. It is not for them. It is not something they want for themselves or their son. The family agreed. How it all shapes out -- time will well.

If she truly thought that, she was incredibly naive. Because the press isn’t “fair” in the United States either. She knew that. Or should have. You can’t miss it.

And she said she talked to Catherine about this life. I assume media would have been discussed. I can’t imagine “fair” would have been Catherine’s adjective of choice either. It wasn’t to her. Or Harry. Would he really have said the press will be fair? Can’t picture it- given his issues with the press.

A simple google search would have told her how fair the media is.

She’s an actress too. She should know just from that. Not on an A list scale, but enough to have a clue how it works.

I find it very hard to comprehend how she ever thought it would be fair. It’s not fair to any famous person.

I think the larger issue being that she couldn’t deal with being in a structured, restricted institution where she wasn’t able to do what she wanted. She wanted out and the media was a convenient excuse. She will absolutley face much worse if they love to America after an initial Honeymoon phase and she won’t have any protection from it.

Yep, she was driven out when Charles refused to walk her down the aisle. She was driven out when the Queen didn't make exceptions for her (like allowing her to stay at Sandringham when she/Harry weren't engaged). The only one driving the car is Meghan, with help from Harry.

That's life in the BRF and Harry should have prepared her for that - in other words, do not pay attention to anything the media says, good or bad. Meghan isn't the only one who has suffered at the hands of a mercurial press, but the BRF ignores it and moves on.

I don't think the family drove her out. They didn't make money off her misery, after all.

It's not clear what their future roles will be. It's hard not to take things personally when others are very personal in their criticism.

Again, there was/is a vocal faction of the public who will always think the worst of someone in Meghan's position. Not even Andrew has been subjected to anything like this, and what he's done is far, far worse.

Well- they have said they intend to still lead public lives within the BRF- part time supposedly.

They seem to still want to do charity work from what their website said. That will involve putting a public face on it- theirs. The photos from Meghan’s visit is an example. Meghan’s not retreating to an office job. So- I don’t see it.

What changes- best I can tell so far- is they are not in the U.K. much- and they can do what they want without oversight.

I think she needed to not read everything written about her. She’s hardly the first person subjected to unfair criticism.

But I think the negative press is because in many people’s eyes, they have done something negative?

Of course they did something negative. I have said myself they should not of released that statement without the Queen's consent/statement.

LaRae

Meghan and Harry clearly doing what they need to do to not have their lives "ruined" so to speak. It is not for them. It is not something they want for themselves or their son. The family agreed. How it all shapes out -- time will well.

The criticism won't go away magically, but they will not be as high-profile, so there will be fewer opportunities to take pot shots at Meghan.

Harry asked his father. Imagine him saying no. Not that I think Charles would but I think most people wouldn't in that circumstance. The same with Sandringham. She had no family in town. I could only imagine the headlines had she not been allowed. Harry likely wouldn't have gone and then a different narrative would have been happening. It made them all look good. Win/win. Many ways you can spin it.

That said.. what happened 2 years ago doesn't mean things didn't change. A lot can happen. We have NO idea. Nor do they want us to know. People can lay all the blame on Meghan. I think she and Harry fully expected it but doesn't change the facts we have zero knowledge of anything. And I doubt it is as black and white as people want to make it.

I think the larger issue being that she couldn’t deal with being in a structured, restricted institution where she wasn’t able to do what she wanted. She wanted out and the media was a convenient excuse. She will absolutley face much worse if they love to America after an initial Honeymoon phase and she won’t have any protection from it.

Oh believe me, the media in America love to tear people down, especially when they think it's deserved. Yes, the general public may love "Meghan and Harry" as a couple, but there's no love for the monarchy in the media - which of course relates to our nation's history. If they notice a sense of entitlement and such that we're now seeing, they'll go on the attack anytime she does something that sniffs being "overly Royal" - like expecting deferential treatment. Neither she nor Harry will be protected from tabloids - over here, they are just a power couple........

I don't think the family drove her out. They didn't make money off her misery, after all.

She's not going to be able to escape the media, nor control it, no matter where she goes.

Well- they have said they intend to still lead public lives within the BRF- part time supposedly.

They seem to still want to do charity work from what their website said. That will involve putting a public face on it- theirs. The photos from Meghan’s visit is an example. Meghan’s not retreating to an office job. So- I don’t see it.

What changes- best I can tell so far- is they are not in the U.K. much- and they can do what they want without oversight.

I think she needed to not read everything written about her. She’s hardly the first person subjected to unfair criticism.

There is unfair criticism, and there's knowingly publishing things that are not true. I don't think I'd want to stick around under those conditions.

There are still a lot of unknowns with this situation. The public doesn't know how long the Sussex have been trying to withdraw from public life. We know how things appear, but the real truth? It's not possible to know at this point.

She's not going to be able to escape the media, nor control it, no matter where she goes.

True, but the less they appear in the public, the less material the media will have to work with.

Harry asked his father. Imagine him saying no. Not that I think Charles would but I think most people wouldn't in that circumstance. The same with Sandringham. She had no family in town. I could only imagine the headlines had she not been allowed. Harry likely wouldn't have gone and then a different narrative would have been happening. It made them all look good. Win/win. Many ways you can spin it.

That said.. what happened 2 years ago doesn't mean things didn't change. A lot can happen. We have NO idea. Nor do they want us to know. People can lay all the blame on Meghan. I think she and Harry fully expected it but doesn't change the facts we have zero knowledge of anything. And I doubt it is as black and white as people want to make it.

Of course he wouldn't have - it's clear he considered it an honor and he was very happy to do it. For months afterwards, all we heard was about the close bond he and Meghan had....about how she had brought he and Harry closer. Somewhere along the lines, that changed.... and I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that she's expecting the BRF to be expressive and open with their emotions. The British in general aren't known for that. I read in a very recent report that she tried hugging a courtier and the courtier had to explain that that's now how things are done. Things are formal, even between family - like the Queen never calls anyone (except in this recent case), people call her. That doesn't mean the BRF don't love each other, don't love friends, etc.. It's just how it is.

I don't blame it all on Meghan, Harry definitely has to take his share of responsibility. Either they kind of rushed the marriage before they could determine if she'd be suited for the "life" or he honestly thought she'd be ok.......Plus, Harry isn't perfect; he's got his own flaws .......

I was fully (go back to my posts in the news thread that kept being closed) supportive of Meghan for .....well, pretty much up until now. A lot of that has to do with how much I think she and Harry have hurt the Queen, Charles and William.... There seems to be no regret, but rather we're getting their friends and mouthpieces like Bradby stating how the BRF is toxic, there's bad blood, etc.... That bothers me.

Was she booed/heckled/insulted/shouted at, at ANY of her Engagements ?
Was she not met with rapturous crowds [of all ethnicities, ages and classes] at each and every one of her appearances in this Country ?

As others have said, the Press is beastly, and anyone with the least intelligence knows it.. and those [with intelligence] who are its subject matter, DON'T read it.. for it is certain to play havoc with their heads.

I didn't have her down as a stupid Woman, but if she read the papers she MUST be !

Last edited:
Lots of blame to go around if you look hard enough. However, the truth is that the RF isn't known to be outwardly expressive with their emotions. The Royal Household is a business not a nursery school.

Bottom line …. H&M should have eased into life together and not rushed into marriage. A marriage transition is difficult enough without having to do it with being part of a royal family and a royal household and a very public figure. That's a tall order.

Frankly, Meghan is a well-educated and worldly woman who should have known that it would be a difficult transition and that people wouldn't look kindly upon her to throw a gauntlet down in front of a 93-year-old woman who still works. JMHO

The criticism won't go away magically, but they will not be as high-profile, so there will be fewer opportunities to take pot shots at Meghan.

We have no idea what they will be. I actually agree with others that the media is the media though the UK media is a different brand than the US. They will report a scandal but you don't see constant retractions like they had with the Mail and Sun regarding Meghan. TMZ smarter than that.

Life in Canada will for sure be quieter. I think these past few weeks prove that. The press is all over Vancouver at the moment but it will die down and they will all return back to the US and UK to cover their next story.

That seems to be the hope for now. But we shall see how it all really plays out. Hard to even guess as we have no details. Maybe tomorrow will bring them.

Please note that, yet again, several bickering posts containing back-and-forth arguing have been deleted. Members MUST treat one another with respect when points of view differ. Further action will be taken if this and previous Moderator requests are ignored.

Naturally if members they cannot respond to a post without adding some caustic comment against the other poster, then refraining from responding at all would be an ideal option.

Of course he wouldn't have - it's clear he considered it an honor and he was very happy to do it. For months afterwards, all we heard was about the close bond he and Meghan had....about how she had brought he and Harry closer. Somewhere along the lines, that changed.... and I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that she's expecting the BRF to be expressive and open with their emotions. The British in general aren't known for that. I read in a very recent report that she tried hugging a courtier and the courtier had to explain that that's now how things are done. Things are formal, even between family - like the Queen never calls anyone (except in this recent case), people call her. That doesn't mean the BRF don't love each other, don't love friends, etc.. It's just how it is.

I don't blame it all on Meghan, Harry definitely has to take his share of responsibility. Either they kind of rushed the marriage before they could determine if she'd be suited for the "life" or he honestly thought she'd be ok.......Plus, Harry isn't perfect; he's got his own flaws .......

I was fully (go back to my posts in the news thread that kept being closed) supportive of Meghan for .....well, pretty much up until now. A lot of that has to do with how much I think she and Harry have hurt the Queen, Charles and William.... There seems to be no regret, but rather we're getting their friends and mouthpieces like Bradby stating how the BRF is toxic, there's bad blood, etc.... That bothers me.

How do we know there wasn't bad blood? How do we know things were not toxic? Also sorry if I don't believe the Daily Mail claims to have spoken to her friends when she is literally suing them. Her friends willing spoke to one magazine. I don't really hold any stock to them not making up some story knowing it will rile up people. It is what they do.

But anyways.... again we have no idea who and what these people are really like. We know what we want to think and what we want to see them as. But that doesn't mean much in reality. Could Meghan be the schemer social climber who has lured Harry away from his family or could she be a woman who felt uncomfortable in a certain circumstance and after exhausting all avenues decided to change it. My guess it is somewhere in the middle.

Also I thought it was interesting that the editor of The Mirror was on GMB saying that he allegedly knew what set all this stuff into motion but legally couldn't reveal it. Know one could (and I kind of do) think he is full of it but I would imagine if he saying it on TV that he is saying it elsewhere and someone might try and look in it.

So who knows what the future could bring.

Article here from Rebecca English. Yes it's published in the Mail but it's very kind towards Harry and very much based on her own interactions with him rather than what undisclosed sources say. It essentially confirms what many people have said - Harry was always lukewarm at best about being a member of the Royal Family and dealing with the media.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uching-insight-Prince-Harrys-personality.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom