The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So all Daily Mail articles are now factual? Good to know...

I think a lot of these reaction is quite fascinating. No one has any idea what went down behind closed doors.

I don't think anyone in this situation is a victim or the villain. They ALL played a role in this happening and frankly I don't think anyone was all that surprised it happened. How it happened? Maybe but it actually occurring? Nah.

Now it has been semi hatched out with the final details coming. Everyone is trying to move on and continue their lives. We have been engagements with the other royals and things announced.

People should be mindful of just spewing any ol' thing because one day the truth just might come out and if it does I would almost guess that those we think are "innocent" are never as innocent as people want to see them as. That goes for anyone and everyone.

So the best thing for all is just to push forward. Seems to be the goal of the BRF now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wants to be embraced by her Community' ?

This is SO funny..Community takes YEARS to build.. flitting from one luxurious place to place to another [generally those provided by the gullible] for a couple of years MAX, does not 'a community build'...It requires commitment, and few can see any evidence of that in the history of her life..

She swan's in, briefly embraces the 'unfortunate' [and the camera] before taking off to somewhere more congenial. For the moment she thinks its Canada.. but.. where next ?

So all Daily Mail articles are now factual? Good to know...

I don’t think anyone is saying that. Just that parts of it could be true based on things she’s said in the past, current actions, etc.

And that article could also be total garbage.

If the rumours and talk turn out to be true and she doesn’t ever return to the U.K. for any meaningful length of time I don’t think I could support her and Harry keeping their titles. Whilst this is definitely a controversial thing to say, my thoughts are why have British titles and the privileges that come with them if you don’t actually spend any proper time in Britain? What does this mean for her British citizenship? Will she even become one now?
I also makes me feel even more uneasy that Frogmore cottage will be empty for the vast part of the year after all the renovation work on it.

If the rumours and talk turn out to be true and she doesn’t ever return to the U.K. for any meaningful length of time I don’t think I could support her and Harry keeping their titles. Whilst this is definitely a controversial thing to say, my thoughts are why have British titles and the privileges that come with them if you don’t actually spend any proper time in Britain? What does this mean for her British citizenship? Will she even become one now?
I also makes me feel even more uneasy that Frogmore cottage will be empty for the vast part of the year after all the renovation work on it.

I don't think she will ever reappear in work terms. Maybe at family events. Someone else will live at Frogmore. There is Beatrice and one day the Cambridges. It would be best for Harry to move back to that Kensington cottage when he is working.

sorry where does she intend to make the surprise visits to? The UK? Canada? California?

If the article is to be believed, to organizations and charities. Apparently she wants to be “embraced by her community.”

To be fair it seems they have been moved to other posts within the Household and ad-hoc staff have been told they will no longer be required, it sounds like no-one has lost their jobs but possibly only because HM and the Household have stepped in

I don’t think anyone is saying that. Just that parts of it could be true based on things she’s said in the past, current actions, etc.

And that article could also be total garbage.

Exactly. No one anywhere said that all DM articles should be accepted as fact. But often where there’s smoke there’s fire and this does sound very Meghan-esque so could be all or partially true. Or not. But if it is then these “friends” are doing her no favors by blabbing to the tabloids that she claims to hate.

According to gov.uk, anyone applying for citizenship 'should not have spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months'. If she has not yet submitted her formal application (she cannot apply until she has been in the UK for 3 years), and stays away for more than 90 days, her accumulated UK residency time will lapse, and she will have to start all over again.

So, yet again, not factually accurate. They’re not being made redundant, they’re moving location to another palace by the sounds of it. It also has no concrete proof as to why.

I’ll keep saying this, it’s inaccurate comments and reporting that starts endless nonsense comments which eventually gets threads shut down and cleaned.

I wish we could stick to facts.

Such a lovely present for the New Year...

Except they haven’t been made redundant and still have a job so the sarcasm, wasn’t necessary.

Well, if this if true, she may have wanted her friends to speak for her. I believe they’ve done so before. She’s saying it’s a toxic environment- that’s her defense for this mess. It’s probably the excuse for the horrible way this has been handled. She “couldn’t” wait to do this properly.

That said- a part of me thinks she should speak for herself if that’s actually how she feels, and she wants her incredibly negative feelings publicly known. She can own it. If this is true, of course.

True or not- it sounds over the top to me. Your soul is dying? Life was that hard? Um- okay.

That being said- technically all she’s said publicly is she wants to not be a full time royal. It wouldn’t stun me if the reality is she’s basically or entirely done though. But who knows.

She came back to the U.K. for about 30 seconds- visited the patronages that got blindsided later in the day, moved her dogs to Canada, didn’t bring her son to the U.K. even to see family, and is doing work in Canada.

If I wanted to demonstrate a continued interest in the U.K., I’d have stayed for a bit. At least through negotiations with the family. Maybe actually doing work in the U.K. too. At least make it look like I still cared. Because from an optics POV, looking at her actions- I’d say it appears she doesn’t. Actions speaking louder than words and all. That’s speculation. Maybe she intends to do exactly what she said on the website, but I can’t say it looks that great to me right now.

She looks completely out of control to me, thinking she has set up a parallel court in Vancouver. I think the best solution is simply to ignore her and then she will fade away.

So, yet again, not factually accurate. They’re not being made redundant, they’re moving location to another palace by the sounds of it. It also has no concrete proof as to why.

I’ll keep saying this, it’s inaccurate comments and reporting that starts endless nonsense comments which eventually gets threads shut down and cleaned.

I wish we could stick to facts.

Except they haven’t been made redundant and still have a job so the sarcasm, wasn’t necessary.

The article says only the permanent members of staff are being moved. Those who work on an ad hoc basis (is that a zero hour contract) have been made redundant. That’s how I’ve read this article.

Here's another take, one similar to what many black Americans are feeling.

https://thegrio.com/2020/01/14/how-meghan-markle-exposed-racism-in-the-british-media-then-bounced/

Here's an excerpt:
“Look at the reception that Meghan had when she arrived here,” royal biographer Penny Junor said during a recent appearance on CBS This Morning. “We took her to our hearts. The British were thrilled about her marrying into the royal family, and they were thrilled because she was mixed-race. That was one real plus.”

This lie was so bold even the usually tactful Gayle King had to call her out by noting that since-fired BBC Radio host Danny Baker describing the royal baby as a “chimp” because he has a Black mother is actually very decidedly racist.

At this point Junor, who had been doing her best to appear like a harmless and agreeable spokesperson for the British media, began to stutter in visible discomfort. Then she got so confused she accidentally said “coloured people” on-air, a term I suspect pales in comparison to what she calls us in private.

The actual article states they only had two permanent staff members and they have been placed elsewhere. Everyone else were basically part time and will continue to be when they are around and needed.

This from ITV's Chris Ship

"No members of Harry & Meghan staff have been “let go” says a source for the Sussexes, although some have been ‘redeployed’ apparently for “quiet periods”. << Which is presumably what #HarryandMeghan intend things to be (quiet) - going forward ??"

Also the correspondents seem to be under the impression Sussex news is coming tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here's another take, one similar to what many black Americans are feeling.

https://thegrio.com/2020/01/14/how-meghan-markle-exposed-racism-in-the-british-media-then-bounced/

Here's an excerpt:
“Look at the reception that Meghan had when she arrived here,” royal biographer Penny Junor said during a recent appearance on CBS This Morning. “We took her to our hearts. The British were thrilled about her marrying into the royal family, and they were thrilled because she was mixed-race. That was one real plus.”

This lie was so bold even the usually tactful Gayle King had to call her out by noting that since-fired BBC Radio host Danny Baker describing the royal baby as a “chimp” because he has a Black mother is actually very decidedly racist.

At this point Junor, who had been doing her best to appear like a harmless and agreeable spokesperson for the British media, began to stutter in visible discomfort. Then she got so confused she accidentally said “coloured people” on-air, a term I suspect pales in comparison to what she calls us in private.

Thanks for the link - it's interesting to read the perspective from African Americans. ?

The article says only the permanent members of staff are being moved. Those who work on an ad hoc basis (is that a zero hour contract) have been made redundant. That’s how I’ve read this article.

They’ll be no zero hour contracts in that household. The article then goes on to say that “other sources” say no one is being made redundant from their skeleton staff. So the article contradicts itself with its sources...

They’ll be no zero hour contracts in that household. The article then goes on to say that “other sources” say no one is being made redundant from their skeleton staff. So the article contradicts itself with its sources...

Thank you, wasn’t sure what they meant by ad hoc and if they meant that these people were employed on zero hour contracts. How do you know there would be no zero hour contracts? Or is it a type of contract the BRF doesn’t offer?

Exactly. No one anywhere said that all DM articles should be accepted as fact. But often where there’s smoke there’s fire and this does sound very Meghan-esque so could be all or partially true. Or not. But if it is then these “friends” are doing her no favors by blabbing to the tabloids that she claims to hate.

It certainly rings true based on recent events. If she did say these things to her friends, she also had to have told them to share it with the media since clearly she would know who she told what to. We already know she has had friends speak on her behalf before. Remember the letter to her father? Yeah, that certainly backfired.

I think she will become the biggest nightmare the BRF has experienced yet, and unfortunately for Harry, he will take the brunt of it and tear him apart.

It certainly rings true based on recent events. If she did say these things to her friends, she also had to have told them to share it with the media since clearly she would know who she told what to. We already know she has had friends speak on her behalf before. Remember the letter to her father? Yeah, that certainly backfired.

I think she will become the biggest nightmare the BRF has experienced yet, and unfortunately for Harry, he will take the brunt of it and tear him apart.

Actually, almost all of the sympathy has been with the BRF, from the Queen to Charles. Today we had that article about how Harry and William don’t respect their father and tomorrow Rebecca English will publish an article about Harry, good and bad. Meghan has been a “Royal” pain in the butt, but so has Harry, and the public seems to be tired of them.

The quicker they go the better, I don't think they could be trusted to keep to any agreement. The British people have had enough.

The British people have had enough.

When I think of the Years of Credit he built up, for his service in the Army, his work with Invictus, with Sentebale, all gone - expended in little more than a week, it seems unreal..

It cannot be laid at the feet of just the Press.. they are powerful, but not that powerful, and many, [especially on TV] have come forward to defend him..instinctively people feel he is a changed Man, and they don't like what he's become.. so the sooner they go [for good] the better.

According to gov.uk, anyone applying for citizenship 'should not have spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months'. If she has not yet submitted her formal application (she cannot apply until she has been in the UK for 3 years), and stays away for more than 90 days, her accumulated UK residency time will lapse, and she will have to start all over again.

She isn’t going to become a British citizen.

Goodness gracious, Meghan really needs to stop her "friends" from talking. There's now an article making the rounds purporting to have comments from her friends about her finally being able to breathe, how leaving the RF was a matter of life or death because her soul was dying, etc. And the wording of the article is very clear about the fact that she's done. She left, she now has free reign, and she didn't want Archie around that toxic life. It even clearly states "she will continue making surprise visits and and wants to feel embraced by her community."

If this is even remotely true then she needs to get a grip on her friends immediately because I suspect this type of thing would very seriously and negatively impact her negotiations with the RF and this is really not great publicity because it smacks of the me, me, me entitlement that Meghan's already getting so much flack for.

Who needs enemies if you have friends like that. Because this "she will continue making surprise visits and and wants to feel embraced by her community" just makes her sound really really shallow . Like vulnerable people are there to lift her up and to make her feel good .

If Prince Harry and Meghan originally planned to move to the United States, why did they not put this in writing in the first place?
Harry and Meghan's statement read 'North America'; it was the queen's statement that narrowed it down to 'Canada'.

Precisely. Why not just go ahead and admit that she wants out instead of this whole cat and mouse game about part time work, collaborating with the Queen *insert eye roll here*, geographic balance, and appreciation of the royal tradition into which their son was born? I realize that it's all trying to keep up the appearance of wanting to be half in and half out so that the perks don't all dry up and disappear but for heaven's sake, tell your friends to zip it until you've signed on the dotted line.
Or the alternative: half wants out and the other half wants to remain in?

sorry where does she intend to make the surprise visits to? The UK? Canada? California?
Canada I suppose (at least for now); as that's what she did this week. Calling on Monday for a visit on Tuesday.

If she isn't in the UK roughly at least 9 months of the year over several years, she won't qualify for British citizenship. Currently, it looks unlikely she will meet those criteria.

Last edited:
When I think of the Years of Credit he built up, for his service in the Army, his work with Invictus, with Sentebale, all gone - expended in little more than a week, it seems unreal..

It cannot be laid at the feet of just the Press.. they are powerful, but not that powerful, and many, [especially on TV] have come forward to defend him..instinctively people feel he is a changed Man, and they don't like what he's become.. so the sooner they go [for good] the better.

And....I don’t think the media - since the announcement- has generally been bad. Are they climbing over each other to get scoops? Of course, that’s how media is all over. However, there’s been a humanity that I often don’t see; there’s sympathy for the BRF, and some for Harry and Meghan. Primarily for the latter, there has been bitter disappointment - but that’s understandable.

Harry and Meghan made their bed, and they’ll need to sleep in it - which they seem to be fine with

Who needs enemies if you have friends like that. Because this "she will continue making surprise visits and and wants to feel embraced by her community" just makes her sound really really shallow .

Indeed, I couldn’t believe it when I read that quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom