The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said they have to be remanded out :ermm:

Last time I looked part time or even junior royals have patronages. Eugenie and Beatrice have patronages and they aren't working royals.

They have never said they are going to abandon Royal duties. Just full time.

From my point of view, depending on the outcome of the discussion, they need to be handed out. Part time royals, if they get their wishes, can’t live half the year in another country and expect to be a royal patron.

I’m not 100% but are Beatrice and Eugenie Royal Patrons or just Patrons because there’s a difference.

From the pro-monarchist Globe and Mail in Canada;

““You are welcome to visit, but so long as you are senior royals, Canada cannot allow you to come to stay.” The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been told by Canada’s biggest national newspaper that they are not welcome there as members of the royal family”

Do they lose their senior royal status by becoming part time royals? Henry is still 6th in line to the throne.

From my point of view, depending on the outcome of the discussion, they need to be handed out. Part time royals, if they get their wishes, can’t live half the year in another country and expect to be a royal patron.

I’m not 100% but are Beatrice and Eugenie Royal Patrons or just Patrons because there’s a difference.

From the pro-monarchist Globe and Mail in Canada;

““You are welcome to visit, but so long as you are senior royals, Canada cannot allow you to come to stay.” The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been told by Canada’s biggest national newspaper that they are not welcome there as members of the royal family” u

Do they lose their senior royal status by becoming part time royals? Henry is still 6th in line to the throne.

No they become part time royals by stepping down as senior royals. Which is what they said. We are stepping back from being senior royals.

Beatrice abd Eugenie are royal patrons. Including Beatrice with the royal ballet school. Just because they aren't working royals doesn't mean that.

Beatrice lives back and forth between USA and UK. Eugenie did too. Neither had an issue with keeping patronages. No reason these two can't.

And Canada has said they are more then welcome here. We simply said they will need to go the normal route, no special treatment.

That may be increasingly hard to maintain, as he balds/ages/puts on weight ? I hope you won't think it insulting when l say that what characterises the Hollywood milieu that seems to be their inevitable destination, is 'the NEXT big thing' ?

I would add another thing. When the Cambridge children are in their 20s and 30s , they will be the media magnets and little attention will be paid to the Sussexes or poor Archie. They will be like Andrew and his daughters basically.

Maybe the decision of the Sussexes to transition to celebrities living in North America might be precisely to escape that fate. Otherwise , they could have resigned themselves to being dignified , older working royals like Princess Anne, but Meghan might think of that as “ merely surviving , not thriving” or being held back.

Last edited:
I don’t doubt it for a moment in the UK, but in America? American’s still think of him as Diana’s little boy, and they already don’t “get” the BRF or the Monarchy in general, so he’s got that going for him. Still, I wonder how he’ll feel when the British public turn on him? If he’s paying attention to the media like apparently he does, he has to know that he’s caused a great deal of self-inflicted damage to himself.

I am an American and I don't still think of him as Diana's little boy, and this is coming from someone who used to be a big fan of Diana's. I think he needs to grow up. The sooner he realizes that you can't have your cake and eat it too, the quicker he will begin making wiser decisions.

'She was really great': Meghan Markle visits women's shelter on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

Meghan visited a women's shelter in Vancouver's downtown east side (one of the poorest neighbourhoods in all of Canada) yesterday. There is a photo. While her interest in women's issues has been clear and constant, in my opinion, this is the kind of thing that sets her up for criticism in the short term. She and Harry are "stepping back" but she is already visiting an agency and being photographed with the staff. Until the dust settles, and they have a clear plan, you would think that any such visits should be kept private. Of course, maybe this is part of the plan that she and Harry developed weeks, if not months ago.

That may be increasingly hard to maintain, as he balds/ages/puts on weight ? I hope you won't think it insulting when l say that what characterises the Hollywood milieu that seems to be their inevitable destination, is 'the NEXT big thing' ?

Yep! Hollywood is pure shallowness. I see botox, hair plugs, filler, injections, liposuction, personal trainers, spiritual healers and tattoos in their future. Have at it kids.

In our Belgian newspaper they are comparing Prince Harry to Prince Laurent !

Considering society’s fascination with the young and beautiful, I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s not insulting to me at all - I’m not into celebrity and I have no interest in Hollywood. I agree with you!

I would add another thing. When the Cambridge children are in their 20s and 30s , they will be the media magnets and little attention will be paid to the Sussexes or poor Archie. They will be like Andrew and his daughters basically.

Maybe the decision of the Sussexes to transition to celebrities living in North America might be precisely to escape that fate. Otherwise , they could have resigned themselves to being dignified , older working royals like Princess Anne, but Meghan might think of that as “ merely surviving , not thriving” or being held back.

Here is to hoping in 20 -30 years we not in this same place again. This move might be the best thing for them all in the long run.

I am an American and I don't still think of him as Diana's little boy, and this is coming from someone who used to be a big fan of Diana's. I think he needs to grow up. The sooner he realizes that you can't have your cake and eat it too, the quicker he will begin making wiser decisions.

I shouldn’t speak for all Americans, but I do think that many love him because they remember that small boy...I think it’s why they love William as well. Then again, there are many Americans not on social media who may very well yawn at the sight of them, lol.

I agree with you. I do believe Harry is deeply scarred, but the way to deal with it is not to blame and push away people who love you, and not to stamp your feet, whine, and threaten blackmail

I shouldn’t speak for all Americans, but I do think that many love him because they remember that small boy...I think it’s why they love William as well. Then again, there are many Americans not on social media who may very well yawn at the sight of them, lol.

I agree with you. I do believe Harry is deeply scarred, but the way to deal with it is not to blame and push away people who love you, and not to stamp your feet, whine, and threaten blackmail

The vast majority of Americans could give a flip about the BRF or any Royal Family. They wouldn't even be able to name but a couple or so of the BRF.

You ou are making a lot of assumptions without any evidence other than what the tabloid media is telling you. Why don't you wait and see what actually happens before you assume the worst? I say that to everyone who has spent days and days posting doom and gloom senarios.

LaRae

I certainly do not have police protection. I would never dream of getting into a car with a drunk driver, nor of not wearing my seat belt. I don't see how lack of police protection can be blamed for Diana's death, tragic as it was.

I feel a bit sorry for Justin Trudeau, who's having to field awkward questions about who should pay for security. He must be wondering how on earth he's got dragged into all this, from nowhere. It's hardly his problem that Harry and Meghan want to jump ship.

Completely off topic but Trudeau's problems are largely his own creation. Even some of the most ardent liberal party supporters admit that he is nothing more than an empty suit. Given his history of "woke" fanboying, people actually believe that he had probably agreed to pick up the tab for the Sussexes security in Canada before he and Morneau had to walk it back due to the public backlash. The man has no substance to him

Why don't you wait and see what actually happens before you assume the worst?

Because there isn't a SINGLE aspect of the behaviour of this couple, in the last week, that inspires any confidence in their 'common sense'..

No they become part time royals by stepping down as senior royals. Which is what they said. We are stepping back from being senior royals.

Beatrice abd Eugenie are royal patrons. Including Beatrice with the royal ballet school. Just because they aren't working royals doesn't mean that.

Beatrice lives back and forth between USA and UK. Eugenie did too. Neither had an issue with keeping patronages. No reason these two can't.

And Canada has said they are more then welcome here. We simply said they will need to go the normal route, no special treatment.

That’s what they want, not what has been agreed. Canada hasn’t by any stretch said they are welcome there, the article I posted in my previous comment says as much.

Beatrice is only royal patron of the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre, she has no connection to the Royal Ballet School.

Eugenie is a Royal Patron of European School of Ostropathy, Horatio’s Garden. She is listed as only Patron of other causes she works with.

Personally I don’t think it has anything to do with the logistics of keeping them. Also, the organisations might want an actual full time working royal as their patron...

Because there isn't a SINGLE aspect of the behaviour of this couple, in the last week, that inspires any confidence in their 'common sense'..

This, and because my sympathies lie with the Queen, Charles, William and the family as a whole. I feel for the pain, hurt, confusion and anger they’re feeling ...

That’s what they want, not what has been agreed. Canada hasn’t by any stretch said they are welcome there, the article I posted in my previous comment says as much.

Beatrice is only royal patron of the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre, she has no connection to the Royal Ballet School.

Eugenie is a Royal Patron of European School of Ostropathy, Horatio’s Garden. She is listed as only Patron of other causes she works with.

Personally I don’t think it has anything to do with the logistics of keeping them. Also, the organisations might want an actual full time working royal as their patron...

I was wondering why Eugenie and Beatrice's position in the BRF would be used as a comparison to Harry's when they aren't working royals, part time or otherwise.

So this situation that has come up erases every good thing they've done. Mistakes or errors not allowed, if you make one you are treated like you have committed the most henious crime and should be banished from the family and society.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering why Eugenie and Beatrice's position in the BRF would be used as a comparison to Harry's when they aren't working royals, part time or otherwise.

Whilst I'm not getting into comparisons, beyond this comment. You both can and can't compare them. They're non working royals with titles who do take part in events. They have never, IluvBertie would confirm, done an engagement on behalf of The Queen.

I think the key with this comparison, is that neither Bea nor Eugenie have ever publicly traded on their titles in the way which the Sussexs are perceived to be planning. Both girls have been incredibly select about the charities they support as well.

if you make one

Would that it were 'just the one'... its a catalogue of them, and not 'spur of the moment', accidental errors either...but MONTHS in the planning..

Would that it were 'just the one'... its a catalogue of them, and not 'spur of the moment', accidental errors either...but MONTHS in the planning..

Mods asked that we copy the entire quote rather than just a line to keep in context of the post we are responding to. Just FYI...

Yes, Meghan sends an ambiguous message about her respect for the Queen's process.

I believe she sent a clear message, and that is she will do as she pleases when she pleases and could care less about the Queen's process. :flowers: No clue if Harry actually said, "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets" before their wedding but that's my take on this whole mess. I absolutely think the British press has been deplorable to her and understand Harry wanting to protect her and Archie. But in the back of my mind I think he will regret this in years to come.

Whilst I'm not getting into comparisons, beyond this comment. You both can and can't compare them. They're non working royals with titles who do take part in events. They have never, IluvBertie would confirm, done an engagement on behalf of The Queen.

I think the key with this comparison, is that neither Bea nor Eugenie have ever publicly traded on their titles in the way which the Sussexs are perceived to be planning. Both girls have been incredibly select about the charities they support as well.

Absolutely!. I was agreeing with you in my initial response. :flowers:

With today’s new pics of Meghan ingratiating herself on her public engagement in Vancouver it seems opinión in Canada appears to be turning now that it dawns on them that Meghan & Harry want to act like royals in Canada:

“The Sussexes are working out their own personal issues, and Canadians wish them the best of luck. Canada welcomes people of all faiths, nationalities and races, but if you’re a senior member of our Royal Family, this country cannot become your home.

The government should make that clear. There can be no Earl Sussex of Rosedale and no Prince Harry of Point Grey. Canada is not a halfway house for anyone looking to get out of Britain while remaining a royal.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...why-members-of-the-royal-family-cant-live-in/

I guess that one of the problems is that this particular side of the Crown's role "to bring people together" is already played in Canada to a certain extent by the Governor General on behalf of the Queen.

https://www.gg.ca/en/role/responsibilities/bring-canadians-together

I have no problem with Meghan becoming a private humanitarian or a philanthropist , but I am getting early vibes of a "parallel court", which won't sit well either with Buckingham Palace or with Rideau Hall.

https://www.gg.ca/en/role/responsibilities/encourage-excellence

Last edited:
but that's precisely what the Sussexes want... to remain as royals but to live partly n Canada.. and to do various public appearances. that was plain from what they said.. Canada will be their spring board to the USA..

Yes, deliberate choices ....not mistakes or errors. I also don’t care for their attitudes.

Last edited:
Sorry for not adding more to the conversation in terms of news but the more I think about this whole situation the more I can't help but feel how selfish they have been. Ultimately if they really can no longer go on of course this is right for them is it helps them mentally gain strength.

But that doesn't also negate the fact their decision impacts so many people. What about their staff who many now face either much reduced roles or being made redundant. For example their new Private Secretary had a promising career in the Foreign Office, most lately as an Ambassador. Now she is Private Secretary for a couple who have just announced they are moving overseas and reducing their role so she can sit playing on the swivel chair in the office

Honestly if only they had waited a little longer before marrying. If Meghan had seen more of what royal life was all about she may have decided it wasn't for her sooner and the two could have married and made it clear they weren't going to be full time working royals. to be honest if they had announced what they have now back then it wouldn't have been half the drama it is now. They wouldn't have been given the Sussex title, they wouldn't have been given Frogmore if their intention was to be out the UK so much, they wouldn't have set up their own office with such highly qualified staff. Meghan could have been one of the first women to marry into the family who continued working and doing her own thing.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful think but they moved so fast in everything its almost like no one had time to breath.

but that's precisely what the Sussexes want... to remain as royals but to live partly n Canada.. and to do various public appearances. that was plain from what they said.. Canada will be their spring board to the USA..

I don't care too much about what they do in the US because they have no official status there. Whatever they do will be deemed private then even if it has media coverage.

In Canada, the situation is different because their present status is confusing and I think we have to hear what the Canadian posters and the Canadian papers say about it.

When members of the RF are in Canada on an official tour on the invitation of the Canadian government, there is no doubt that every public appearance they make is an official one. Otherwise, although I don't doubt many Canadians appreciate/would appreciate royal patronages and the royals working on behalf of Canadians and in Canada on a permanent basis, I don't see the latter as part of the delicate constitutional arrangement on which the relationship between the UK, the Crown and the Realms (formerly the Dominions) is now based. Ordinarily, when the Royals are not officially in the country (which is most of the time), the public role of the Crown falls on the constitutionally empowered representatives of the Queen in Canada, who are not Harry and Meghan, and I suppose the Canadians value that independence.

Just to make it clear, I thnk they mean well and want to do good in Canada, but they have to check with the Canadians first.

Last edited:
I think retaining an agent, business interests and lawyers in the US was Plan B ( and a fallback) for Meghan. It is an American instinct to do so and doesn’t necessarily mean she was not committed to Plan A, although I understand it might look like that to the British public.

Certainly she didn’t make a complete break with her former professional life as Mary Donaldson did when she moved from Australia to Denmark , but Mary is destined to be the next queen, so the two situations are not exactly the same.

What I am sure , however, is that Sussex Royal is something that was largely engineered by Meghan’s North American advisors,/ agents , Plan B then became Plan A , which is troubling.
Very few situations are exactly the same :flowers:. In this case, both of them were expected to give up their careers to become full-time working members of the respective royal families they married into.

Especially patronages that were handed down from the queen (such as the National Theatre) to another prominent full-time working member of the family would rightly be upset if they were suddenly downgraded to having a random member of the queen's family (who is living abroad) as their patron. That's different from an organization that only recently got a royal patron because of personal interest of that specific royal. They'll be happy either way most likely - although they might have preferred their royal patron to remain in the firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom