The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is time for the BRF to go.

HARDLY ! It'll take more than an errant sixth-in-line and a 'fly-by-night' spouse to see off an institution than has endured a 1000 years

Great that the Queen shared some of her feelings. Enough of H&M playing with the public's feelings while the BRF looks like cold-hearted institution

I don't necessarily think I'd put it quite that way. Most seem to be praising the Queen for being open about where things stand, the fact that this is not happening by her choice, etc. They seem more to be stating that they believe the Queen and Company made an offer, the Sussexes refused it, and now because they haven't been pandered to there will be temper tantrums and fireworks. I've yet to see anything actually attacking or even criticizing the Queen but rather it's Harry and Meghan who are assumed to be stamping their feet.

Ok, my bad, thanks !

Like I said in a post above, H & M have misread the public from the very start. They seem to have tried to emotionally manipulate everyone - the Queen, Charles, the media, the public -but they've failed, and now they probably are better off in Canada, because they have no currency anymore, no reservoir of love and goodwill to fall back on.

I think the statement from the Queen was very sad. As others have said the next days and weeks will be interesting. For me, the first telling thing will be does Harry stick around and fulfill his commitment on Thursday or does he go back to Canada and blow it off. The next thing will be how soon they start announcing sponsors, partnerships and other deals to start earning "professional income". And on that topic, someone said up thread that Ottawa would probably grant them diplomatic status but wouldn't that inhibit their ability to earn money and also what comments they could make?

HARDLY ! It'll take more than an errant sixth-in-line and a 'fly-by-night' spouse to see off an institution than has endured a 1000 years

Agreed. As an institution the monarchy has weathered far worse storms than this and the Whims of the Whiny won't bring down the whole institution. Yes, there's absolutely personal hurt between members of the institution and yes, there might be a new path for a couple of people who are, in the grand scheme of things, rather unimportant but as for the whole 1000 year old institution? No, these two want-to-be influencers won't be enough to shake that foundation.

I agree. I'm sad for Charles and for William but I'm most sad for the Queen and Prince Philip. After a rough end to the year health wise this really isn't something Prince Philip should even have to think about dealing with. He should be able to relish his time with his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Instead he's watching this mess play out. It's terribly sad and quite disrespectful and we all know what kind of toll significant stress can take on the elderly. I've said before and I'll say again, I really hope that Harry never comes to regret his decisions but I suspect that he will very much regret them with time.

Let's all be sad for the people who sat by and watched their family members get bullied in the media... not for the people who were actually bullied. :rolleyes:

Why does everyone expect the Sussexes to just tolerate the bullying for years on end because someone in their family is older?

If the older royals were so concerned why didn't they offer support to the couple, speak out on their behalf? They had no problems speaking up today when an article made William look bad.

Ok, my bad, thanks !

Like I said in a post above, H & M have misread the public from the very start. They seem to have tried to emotionally manipulate everyone - the Queen, Charles, the media, the public -but they've failed, and now they probably are better off in Canada, because they have no currency anymore, no reservoir of love and goodwill to fall back on.

That's an interesting take on things considering the Together Cookbook is back on top seller list after it was released 16 months ago...in solidarity with Meghan.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that the Sussexes have been run out being full-time royals (and they were...but no role/job is worth the constant bullying they received). However, I'm also excited for them and can't wait to see what they do with all of their new opportunities.

As for the rest, the British media can focus on the other royals who do hard work and don't get coverage (aka the Countess of Wessex, Princesses Anne) and the rest who will be King & Queen consorts can have the British media spotlight all to themselves now.

I don't see how they were "run out" - the queen bent over backwards for them even letting Meghan come to Sandringham for Christmas back when they were engaged - something she didn't let anyone else do.
As for her being "treated badly" the other royals got treated as bad or worse - Kate was referred to as "waity kaity" and her mother as a social climbing "trolly dolly". Camilla was pelted with bread rolls when she went shopping. Beatrice and Eugene got called "Cinderella's ugly stepsisters" and they did their own interview where they cried about how hard it was to be a member of the royal family. And the media were picking on Andrew and ignoring Meghan and Harry when they did this - Andrew is the only one happy now he's no longer the "worst" member of the royal family. The difference I find is that the people who like Meghan know little about the royal family and haven't been following them for years so they didn't see the others get treated poorly.

I don't hate Meghan I just don't see why she ran out there and married Harry - Chelsy Davy dated him for years before she decided she couldn't stand the criticism (and she was picked on big time). And I don't understand why she seems so determined to bring them down now. Except for Princess Michael I'd say they treated her pretty decently. You can argue the public didn't but they never treat the royals well.

In any case it looks to me like Meghan and Harry rushed into this and I doubt they'll stay married much longer. Then what will Harry do? Does he still want to be an independent royal? Canada and the US sound like Meghan's choices we all know Harry would love to live in Africa. He's said so many times.

Let's all be sad for the people who sat by and watched their family members get bullied in the media... not for the people who were actually bullied. :rolleyes:

Why does everyone expect the Sussexes to just tolerate the bullying for years on end because someone in their family is older?

If the older royals were so concerned why didn't they offer support to the couple, speak out on their behalf? They had no problems speaking up today when an article made William look bad.

That's an interesting take on things considering the Together Cookbook is back on top seller list after it was released 16 months ago...in solidarity with Meghan.

no one is getting bullied.

I really would have loved to see the many versions of the press release. I doubt the Queen had anything to do with it. So BP is out with the spin doctor.
Not using the titles might also be an attempt to be young and relevant.
I expect Charles, William and Harry & Meghan to release their confirmation
#familyunite statements shortly.
Meh. Imo, the less, or nothing at all, Harry and Meghan say the better, their statements tend to cause nothing but chaos and distress to his family.

Best they sit down, shut up, and say thank you ma’am to whatever the queen feel generous to give them after how they (I say them but I really mean Meghan but we are not allowed to say what we all know is happening out loud) have behaved this past year and half.

Last edited:
Agreed. As an institution the monarchy has weathered far worse storms than this and the Whims of the Whiny won't bring down the whole institution. Yes, there's absolutely personal hurt between members of the institution and yes, there might be a new path for a couple of people who are, in the grand scheme of things, rather unimportant but as for the whole 1000 year old institution? No, these two want-to-be influencers won't be enough to shake that foundation.

But I see them as a permanent source of trouble, especially with their fundraising for charity, they will put W&K in the shadow and remain an ongoing rival court.
That is why I had rather seen them sorted out and quietly living somewhere.
Once they are off, they will show to be uncontrollable and use all their us power (donations are meant) then to point out the good moral behind everything they do, like they tried now who could step up against such goodness for the poor, lonely, whatever?
it probably won't work in the Uk for a while but be honest, let them be away for a few months, once they come back with sweet little Archie I can see the crowds waving to them ��

Last edited:
So, we have had almost a week of high drama, endless commentary saturating the news and newspapers and here we are with a formal announcement from the Queen.

Almost at the start of the thread, my first thoughts were that I wish all the details of the plans had been agreed before any announcement had been made. I stand by that statement and will go further by saying that none of this high drama these last few days should have been at all necessary had the Duke and Duchess of Sussex discussed privately their plans and it all announced at the appropriate time by the Queen via Buckingham Palace in a dignified and proper manner.

So, we are left with A) information becoming publicly available belonging to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as to what their plans and wishes are, B) a Statement from the Queen days later confirming that only part of their plans and wishes are (reluctantly) agreed, and C) the remainder of the plans and wishes yet to be finalised and will be announced in the coming days.

Hardly the slick, efficient, concise, quality information one would wish to associate with a Royal House.

I agree. I'm sad for Charles and for William but I'm most sad for the Queen and Prince Philip. After a rough end to the year health wise this really isn't something Prince Philip should even have to think about dealing with. He should be able to relish his time with his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Instead he's watching this mess play out. It's terribly sad and quite disrespectful and we all know what kind of toll significant stress can take on the elderly. I've said before and I'll say again, I really hope that Harry never comes to regret his decisions but I suspect that he will very much regret them with time.

Under the best of circumstances you never know when the last time you'll ever see someone...HM and Philip are 93 and 98 respectively. If Harry doesn't spend enough time with them (this is why I was so upset that he skipped Christmas with the BRF), he WILL regret it .....when it's too late to do anything. Regret is a terrible thing to live with.

**Charles is not young, either - I believe Harry needs to spend as much time with him as possible as well.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion when they are clearly referring to the Sussex's who are the ones making the demands.

I came to that conclusion because I was foolish and had my head up my rear end as my father would say, lol

I don't see how they were "run out" - the queen bent over backwards for them even letting Meghan come to Sandringham for Christmas back when they were engaged - something she didn't let anyone else do.
As for her being "treated badly" the other royals got treated as bad or worse - Kate was referred to as "waity kaity" and her mother as a social climbing "trolly dolly". Camilla was pelted with bread rolls when she went shopping. Beatrice and Eugene got called "Cinderella's ugly stepsisters" and they did their own interview where they cried about how hard it was to be a member of the royal family. And the media were picking on Andrew and ignoring Meghan and Harry when they did this - Andrew is the only one happy now he's no longer the "worst" member of the royal family. The difference I find is that the people who like Meghan know little about the royal family and haven't been following them for years so they didn't see the others get treated poorly.

I don't hate Meghan I just don't see why she ran out there and married Harry - Chelsy Davy dated him for years before she decided she couldn't stand the criticism (and she was picked on big time). And I don't understand why she seems so determined to bring them down now. Except for Princess Michael I'd say they treated her pretty decently. You can argue the public didn't but they never treat the royals well.

In any case it looks to me like Meghan and Harry rushed into this and I doubt they'll stay married much longer. Then what will Harry do? Does he still want to be an independent royal? Canada and the US sound like Meghan's choices we all know Harry would love to live in Africa. He's said so many times.

What did Princess Michael do, except wearing that broche which I understood as a nice gesture. ???

They could follow the Wessex children route - the titles and HRH not there by mutual agreement. No need to change the LP. Just consent.

The problem with this is there has to be mutual agreement.

IMO (and a lot of people share this) Harry and Meghan are looking to cash in on their royal titles. If this is true, there is no way they would agree to voluntarily give up these titles. Think about it: What would sell more, a line of clothes branded as Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor or HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

The problem with this is there has to be mutual agreement.

IMO (and a lot of people share this) Harry and Meghan are looking to cash in on their royal titles. If this is true, there is no way they would agree to voluntarily give up these titles. Think about it: What would sell more, a line of clothes branded as Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor or HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

In all honesty, I doubt it would matter in the short term because as they say "no publicity is bad publicity" but for the long term, as their star wanes, it will matter. I agree that they would not voluntarily give up either style or title but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

As an aside, Although William may not have run emotional support groups or funded them (to my knowledge), it's been mentioned in the past that he has privately spoken to emotional support groups for young people who've lost their parents.

From the Guardian article (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ghan-seek-global-trademark-sussex-royal-brand):

I'm pretty sure the Cambridges never did that.

I'm reserving judgement on this whole issue to see what the Sussexes do with their trademark. We don't know what they are planning (I don't trust media rumours) and what will be permitted.

Last edited:
Moving abroad is a complicated thing, whoever you are. It can't all be sorted in one afternoon, by people who are not legal and financial experts.

The "my family" rather than "the Royal Family" was very telling, and the comment about wishing they'd stayed as full time working royals was as well.

There is widespread sympathy for the Queen and Prince Philip. I don't know how much of what the papers say to believe, but they're reporting that Prince Philip is bedridden for much of the time now. I don't think he was physically up to dealing with this. All the more reason why Harry should have visited him over Christmas.

Last edited:
On a side note the statement underline the importance for the Queen to be a "full-time working member of the BRF".
To keep in mind for the honors thread, the RFO etc ...

They just read a statement on the CBC from the minister in charge of immigration that there are no special provisions for members of the royal family to gain Canadian citizenship, they would need to apply through regular means; however, as members of the Royal Family they do not need permission to visit.

I see them getting something akin to permanent visitor status.

Under the best of circumstances you never know when the last time you'll ever see someone...HM and Philip are 93 and 98 respectively. If Harry doesn't spend enough time with them (this is why I was so upset that he skipped Christmas with the BRF), he WILL regret it .....when it's too late to do anything. Regret is a terrible thing to live with.

**Charles is not young, either - I believe Harry needs to spend as much time with him as possible as well.

I cannot see this. Death is the risk if life, and in any other family with elderly some will not be able to stick with them any time left, that is a normal process. society is far away from what is was or could be. any working commoner can't spend days or weeks with their grandparents so why should Harry feel obliged to?
And the elderly still have themselves and in case of HM a job to do, so why should she choose to spend hr free time with exactly one, Harry, grandson-absurd idea.

Last edited:
They just read a statement on the CBC from the minister in charge of immigration that there are no special provisions for members of the royal family to gain Canadian citizenship, they would need to apply through regular means; however, as members of the Royal Family they do not need permission to visit.

Who said anything about Canadian citizenship??

They do not need permission "to visit", but visiting is very different from being a permanent resident. Could a "permanent visitor" work for example or run a business ? Maybe Canada is just an interim solution after all as the statement may suggest.

Honestly the whole statement reads to me as a sad grandmother who understands a member of her family needs space and time away to figure out his life. So she granted it.

I also notice the language that in a way leaves the door open. They might slam it shut themselves but I don't think they will be denied. This probably is for the best. They clearly were not forced out but also felt they needed to step down and away for their own sanity.

So now the transition will happen.

It would have been so easy to step back by officially announcing that the BRF needs to be slimmed down. Everything could have been worked out and everybody would have been happy for Harry as everyone knows he always struggeld with his role.

Why on earth did they choose this way? It's a mystery to me.

What did Princess Michael do, except wearing that broche which I understood as a nice gesture. ???

This "Broochgate" was just ridiculous and underlined the defiance from some part of the public toward the Windsors : they just waited for any sign screaming racism.
I think Princess Michael was not intentionally racist by wearing this brooch, she was just indifferent to Meghan, wich is maybe worse for her die hard fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom