The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the Canadian PM - according to the British press - has ensured QEII that Canada will pay for H&M's security while they stay in Canada, logic says that there are serious discussions about H&M going to live there at least for an extended period.
I.e. way more than five months, otherwise it would not make sense for Canada to pay the whole bill (and as such presumably being in full charge of their protection) as a shorter stay would be covered mainly by Britain. In the shape of royal protection officers.

So how is Canada to, shall we say, circumnavigate the rules on permanent residences and immigration?
And how is the reaction in the Canadian press?

- I read a headline somewhere suggesting that H&M will live in Toronto. Meghan seemingly has a close friend there.

No. They're really not. Prince Phillip and his children maybe, but the Queen is half British, and Prince William and Prince Harry are 3/4 British, and Prince George and Siblings are like 7/8 British. You can thank the Queen Mother, Diana Princess of Wales, and The Duchess of Cambridge for that. :)

Philip is of German and Danish descent, but I can't see that the rest of the RF are....

No. They're really not. Prince Phillip and his children maybe, but the Queen is half British, and Prince William and Prince Harry are 3/4 British, and Prince George and Siblings are like 7/8 British. You can thank the Queen Mother, Diana Princess of Wales, and The Duchess of Cambridge for that. :)

What ? How is the Queen “ half British” if both her parents and grandparents were all born in Britain ( including Queen Mary) ?

I'm going to include some links here to commentary in The Guardian as they live blog the so-called summit

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...oyal-family-queen-duke-duchess-sussex-william

"It is being reported in London’s Evening Standard that the Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, has privately assured the Queen that the commonwealth country would pick up the bill for security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex if they were to move to Canada as has been mooted.

That could prove contentious domestically for Trudeau. Dr Barry Mackenzie, a Canadian royal historian, was asked about exactly this on BBC Radio 5 live this morning, and said: “That I think is going to be a sticking point for Canadians. And even though this whole scenario seems to have done a lot to make Canadians sympathetic to the situation in which the Queen finds herself, at the same, if this arrangement means that Canadians are going to have to pick up that bill, then I do fear that may be fodder for republicans, who already complain about the fact that the monarchy is expensive.”

We heard similar views when we asked our Canadian readers what they thought about the proposed move."

Pertaining to the rules for commercial activity:

"The Press Association have just put out a report outlining the existing rules by which members of the royal family are allowed to carry out commercial activities. They could form the starting point for any agreement that comes out of today’s summit meeting. They were devised almost 20 years ago, in the wake of a scandal when the Countess of Wessex was accused of cashing in on her royal status in an attempt to win business for her PR firm.

Under the rules, royals have to first consult the Lord Chamberlain before taking on a new business activity. They could be seen as an impediment to the kind of independence that Harry and Meghan appear to be seeking.

The guidelines also stressed that anyone connected with a business activity “should be carefully briefed not to try to exploit, either deliberately or inadvertently, the member of the royal family’s position, associations or access”.

At the time the rules were introduced there were also calls for a register of royal interests, similar to that operated by MPs, listing the business interests or shareholdings of members of the royal family. This was not introduced, with palace officials warning it could be exploited as an unofficial endorsement.

It does throw into sharp relief one of the contradictions at the heart of the Sussexes’ bid for commercial freedom. Their worth in terms of endorsements and commercial exploitation rest, at least on Prince Harry’s side, almost entirely on being a member of the royal family. It is difficult to see how any work by the proposed “Sussex Royal” brand (see 10:50) can be anything other than tied up with their connections to the monarchy."

Last edited:

I know this and was talking about the older generation, the house of Windsor has risen from Germans.....?

Rearranging the order of precedence

One of the key challenges for HMQ is to adjust either or both of (1) the official and the (2) royal household orders of precedence.

Concievably, Harry could retain his titles and royal style but be 'liberated' from the social conventions that tie him and his wife down. Informally they could no longer function as royal nor enjoy the consequences/ constraints of royal status. That way, he doesnt have to suffer the pain of people bowing to him and deferring to him at receptions, dinners, etc. This could be a 'progressive' solution. Like any 'average' individual, they would still be classed as security risks and therefore qualify for police protection that is in the public interest.

I know this and was talking about the older generation, the house of Windsor has risen from Germans.....��

So did the Anglo-Saxons so I suppose we could say the same for most people in the UK :flowers:.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if Trudeau actually said that Canada would pick up the tab for their security. It would never fly with Canadians, not in a billion, million ,trazillion years would they happily accept it.

I do not understand it anymore.They want more freedom, rigth? Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy.. so in that case I can understand it that they want to live abroad for a while.. maybe to find out how they want to shape their lives.
This is actually not so strange and also happens in other royal famillies. I already mentioned the Dutch royal family. The Danish prince Joachim and his wife Marie live abroad etc and have jobs.

It seems the problem is that they want it all.. and financial compensation and their titles and protection where ever they live , so that is not really financial independence Or is this all not true and only gutter press ( or whatever you name that in english).

What exactly makes it such a big thing ... what do they want?

I would be shocked if Trudeau actually said that Canada would pick up the tab for their security. It would never fly with Canadians, not in a billion, million ,trazillion years would they happily accept it.

It seems as if he has said that they will provide security, so I imagine that means payng for it. I don't know why

In this 'day and age' the absurdity of the 'they're ALL Germans assertion' is astounding..

People who move to London [from anywhere] are INSTANTLY considered, and 'identify' as Londoners.. they needn't be born or brought up here.. they just ARE...

Maybe it means we supply the personnel and the UK pays for it.

Meghan was a hardworking actress, she worked often 10-12 hours or more per day, had visions, plans, energy to make her and this world better. I can imagine, that she thought at the beginning, she can help and make more with the support of the royalhouse.. But then she recognized that these royals are only marionettes, who do not really care for issues behind the doors and sure not work too hard... (sure not so much as Meghan in filmindusty)... The english people can be happy, that Meghan doesn't want to paid for this laziness, and I think other royals should rather think about it and take an example.
Are you kidding....?!:lol:
Really nobody in this hard working RF (at least the senior members) should take this [...] actress as an example! Just the thought of it is hilarious....!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Harry, William and Charles have left separately..that was quick ..

Harry has an engagement later this week. Right?

That's the plan as of right now. I suppose the answer lies in whatever was determined at today's meeting and what they looks like going forward.

I do not understand it anymore.They want more freedom, rigth? Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy.. so in that case I can understand it that they want to live abroad for a while.. maybe to find out how they want to shape their lives.
This is actually not so strange and also happens in other royal famillies. I already mentioned the Dutch royal family. The Danish prince Joachim and his wife Marie live abroad etc and have jobs.

It seems the problem is that they want it all.. and financial compensation and their titles and protection where ever they live , so that is not really financial independence Or is this all not true and only gutter press ( or whatever you name that in english).

What exactly makes it such a big thing ... what do they want?

According to their own website/ statement that is what they want.

1. Live abroad
2. Retain security
3. Retain Frogmore Cottage for when they do come over.
4. Refuse the sovereign grant ( 5% of their income) which leads you to presume they want the money from Charles as they didnt say they would refuse that. (95% of their income, )
5. Become financially independent
6. Continue their charity work.
7. Will do some royal duties
8. Appear to want to retain the titles,, the website is called SUSSEX ROYAL with a monogram which includes a crown.

That's the plan as of right now. I suppose the answer lies in whatever was determined at today's meeting and what they looks like going forward.

I doubt if they have made decisions after 1 afternoon of talks... Harry it seems is here for another day or 2 at least... and Im sure talks will go on for another day or maybe even 2 days.

If its true about Trudeau's offer, its rather generous of them.

However 'Financial independence' it ISN'T.

According to reporters on the scene, they left at around 4:30. A very quick meeting, so I wonder if any decisions were made or if this just set up next steps?

According to their own website/ statement that is what they want.

1. Live abroad
2. Retain security
3. Retain Frogmore Cottage for when they do come over.
4. Refuse the sovereign grant ( 5% of their income) which leads you to presume they want the money from Charles as they didnt say they would refuse that. (95% of their income, )
5. Become financially independent
6. Continue their charity work.
7. Will do some royal duties
8. Appear to want to retain the titles,, the website is called SUSSEX ROYAL with a monogram which includes a crown.

Yes, basically everything they have now but the freedom to pursue their own interests, branding etc., and make money doing so. Oh, and only do the bare minimum for crown and country.

Hmmm...well, I think it was certainly smart to release a statement given the hubbub around all of this. I'm not sure that statement really told us a whole lot of anything but it was certainly very interesting as it appears to be a bit more personal that the usual statement s released by BP. It does appear that the Queen and Company aren't planning to keep the public totally out of the loop and good for them for reading the public mood and realizing that it would be a mistake to just say nothing.

Wowzers.

The undertone of “although we would have preferred them”. Shows how much they have forced their own families hand in this.

Wowzers.

The undertone of “although we would have preferred them”. Shows how much they have forced their own families hand in this.

Totally agree! In a way I’m glad they included that line in the statement, it shows that Meghan and Harry are in no way an innocent party in this whole scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom