The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the addition of the "royal" to Sussex has always been the sticking point for me, but we'll see how that plays out. The Sussexes certainly have gone to a lot of trouble to set up the Sussex Royal brand, so using it may be non-negotiable for them. It all depends on how scorched earth they are willing to go.

Scorched earth policy would be totally stupid and really underscore and reinforce public perceptions that they are spitting in the face of the monarchy. It would make for a riveting interview but of little long term value to their lives.

Interesting update about Canada. I have to say I am a bit surprised.

Along with the bullying statement posted by the same RR

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail

For what it is worth, we are also being told today that Harry and Meghan have 'no plans' to do an interview (television or print)....

Scorched earth policy would be totally stupid and really underscore and reinforce public perceptions that they are spitting in the face of the monarchy. It would make for a riveting interview but of little long term value to their lives.

Agreed. However, I've already been astonished at some of the things the Sussexes have done, and their willingness to air things that most royals would never give friends permission to say, or wouldn't say themselves to reporters. And to flout a direct request from the Queen and Prince Charles. So. We'll see.

Feel free to delete if this has been posted before.

According to Evening Standard, the Canadian PM has pledged that Canada will cover the security costs while H&M are in Canada.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/canada-security-bill-harry-meghan-justin-trudeau-a4332906.html

As I expected. Even more so with a PM like Trudeau who is personally friends with Meghan.

We have to wait for official confirmation, but basically British police cannot provide 24/7 protection on a permanent basis in a sovereign foreign country. If H&M want to live most of the year ( or at least a significant part of the year) in Canada and have public security , the Canadian police will have to do it. From what I understood from our fellow Canadian posters ( than you again!), it will be the RCMP, that is, the federal/national police, that will be responsible for protecting them.

Edit: should we assume they have already figured out the immigration situation also? If so, I am waiting for the political fallout in Canada.

Last edited:
What time is the meeting? When will it get over? Do we get to know any conclusive outcome today?

For what it is worth, we are also being told today that Harry and Meghan have 'no plans' to do an interview (television or print)....

I do think this is interesting but mainly because the Sussexes have implied that they wont be liaising with RR - so how would Rebecca know if that is the case?

As per Twitter, Harry arrived at 11.20am, whilst William arrived at 1.45pm.

What time is the meeting? When will it get over? Do we get to know any conclusive outcome today?

Supposedly the meeting is 2pm (Harry arrived prior to that according to royal reporters) - I can't see how something can't be announced, even if it's just to say negotiations are still ongoing?? Surely??

As per Twitter, Harry arrived at 11.20am, whilst William arrived at 1.45pm.

Sounds about right. Make sense for HMQ and PoW to talk to him alone first.

So it confirms that the statement was aimed at Tom Bradby's article

I'll interrupt to bring up something the papers finally mentioned today that I remember hearing abut when Diana got divorced. There's a 300 year old rule that says the queen's grandchildren are her custodial children should anything happen. Something like that. I thought that's maybe why they left Archie in Canada. The paper said it wouldn't apply to Archie and the Queen because he's her great grandchild not her grandchild - but it would apply to Charles and Archie. He would get custody of Archie.

I'll interrupt to bring up something the papers finally mentioned today that I remember hearing abut when Diana got divorced. There's a 300 year old rule that says the queen's grandchildren are her custodial children should anything happen. Something like that. I thought that's maybe why they left Archie in Canada. The paper said it wouldn't apply to Archie and the Queen because he's her great grandchild not her grandchild - but it would apply to Charles and Archie. He would get custody of Archie.

I would be surprised if such a rule were to be implemented today.

So maybe H & M should so some appreciation for their father and father-in-law...If Charles wants to support his son out of his pocket, that’s fine (though, Harry wouldn’t exactly be independent then), but not from the Duchy.

The Prince of Wales has been paying millions of pounds extra to fund Harry and Meghan’s lifestyle from his private income — on top of the money he gives them from the profits of the Duchy of Cornwall, the Standard has learned.

At one stage he was paying the ​Sussexes, who say they want to be financially independent in their new role once they step down as “senior royals”, more than Prince William and his family. That figure is now around the same.

Inside sources say Charles paid out “hundreds of thousands of pounds” in private income too to help furnish Harry and Meghan’s Windsor home, Frogmore Cottage, in addition to the £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money spent on renovations.

“On top of that he paid out a small fortune for their wedding,” a source said.

Another source told the Standard: “There is a great deal of hurt given that the Prince of Wales has gone out of his way to help his son who he loves dearly and embrace his daughter-in-law into the family.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1578917392

So maybe H & M should so some appreciation for their father and father-in-law...If Charles wants to support his son out of his pocket, that’s fine (though, Harry wouldn’t exactly be independent then), but not from the Duchy.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1578917392

I always assumed that Charles privately funded both his sons in addition to Duchy money, so I'm not sure how much news this is. Aside from the issue of personal hurt Charles may or may not be feeling, it certainly does illustrate how complicated and expensive Harry and Meghan living abroad may be--we haven't even gotten to the issue of who is going to pay for their home(s) in Canada and/or the US.

The tax situation has always been an interesting and expensive one.

I think that is something they needed address directly, especially since that was coming from Tom Bradby. So- good.

That and the bullying.

I do think this is interesting but mainly because the Sussexes have implied that they wont be liaising with RR - so how would Rebecca know if that is the case?

Typically even the RR won't claim they were told by BP if they weren't told by BP.

LaRae

I always assumed that Charles privately funded both his sons in addition to Duchy money, so I'm not sure how much news this is. Aside from the issue of personal hurt Charles may or may not be feeling, it certainly does illustrate how complicated and expensive Harry and Meghan living abroad may be--we haven't even gotten to the issue of who is going to pay for their home(s) in Canada and/or the US.

The tax situation has always been an interesting and expensive one.

I would assume they are expected to pay for their home in Canada themselves. That is the minimum definition of “ financial independence “ .

I think that is something they needed address directly, especially since that was coming from Tom Bradby. So- good.

That and the bullying.

I think that's the end of Bradby's relationship (whatever it was) with the Wales boys.

LaRae

I would assume they are expected to pay for their home in Canada themselves. That is the minimum definition of “ financial independence “ .

For most adults that would be a reasonable expectation. It seems that in this case, the definition of "financial independence" is flexible and open to debate, so I guess we'll see. It would definitely make a dent in Harry's private fortune, whatever that amount is.

Ahmmmm, I think it means they will use Daddy's money to pay for their own home, and refer to it as "financial independence".

As I expected. Even more so with a PM like Trudeau who is personally friends with Meghan.

We have to wait for official confirmation, but basically British police cannot provide 24/7 protection on a permanent basis in a sovereign foreign country. If H&M want to live most of the year ( or at least a significant part of the year) in Canada and have public security , the Canadian police will have to do it. From what I understood from our fellow Canadian posters ( than you again!), it will be the RCMP, that is, the federal/national police, that will be responsible for protecting them.

Edit: should we assume they have already figured out the immigration situation also? If so, I am waiting for the political fallout in Canada.

Sorry? :ohmy:

Agreed. However, I've already been astonished at some of the things the Sussexes have done, and their willingness to air things that most royals would never give friends permission to say, or wouldn't say themselves to reporters. And to flout a direct request from the Queen and Prince Charles. So. We'll see.

Sadly, you are correct

Canada apparently has a national police, as well as provincial and municipal police ( in some provinces and some municipalities). I asked the Canadian posters who would be responsible for the Sussexes’ security and they explained it would be the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, that is, the federal police.

I was thanking them for clarifying that point.

Last edited:
For most adults that would be a reasonable expectation. It seems that in this case, the definition of "financial independence" is flexible and open to debate, so I guess we'll see. It would definitely make a dent in Harry's private fortune, whatever that amount is.

Harry's private fortune is said to be about £30m and meghan has some money too.. but I dotn think they will pay for a house, I suspect Charles will do tat....

I can’t imagine for one second that there’s any question of anyone trying to seize custody of Archie! It’s a long and tiring flight from Vancouver to London, not to mention an 8 hour time difference leading to jet lag. If Meghan was planning on going straight back, which she clearly was, I assume that she just didn’t want to put a young child through all that twice in the space of a few days.

I’ve had just had a boring accountancy news e-mail update which I get as part of my job, and the headline of that is the possible tax implications of Harry and Meghan’s move! Not only are they the headlines of the news, they’re even the headlines of accountancy news e-mails!

Last edited by a moderator:
After all the RF hardly has born british blood, they are Germans to a very high percentage tüif really looked at. LOL

No. They're really not. Prince Phillip and his children maybe, but the Queen is half British, and Prince William and Prince Harry are 3/4 British, and Prince George and Siblings are like 7/8 British. You can thank the Queen Mother, Diana Princess of Wales, and The Duchess of Cambridge for that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom