The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there's some good in all this going on right now with the Sussexes. It gives a forum to express what we think, what we think we see and how things may go and it is an intelligent discussion. Its also been a good venue to learn more in depth about how things work with the BRF, the "Firm", their charities and patronages and just how they get their monies and how it is used. Its how I've learned a *lot* over the years and I knew practically nothing at all when I first logged on here as Iluvbertie can attest to. All things are connected.

The biggest shock to me, personally, is that with all this going on and avidly keeping track of it all, I've noticed a difference in myself. Finally I jump into the 21st century and actually purchase a refurbished laptop and by habit, I'm the type that would be like a little kid with a new toy. its been severely neglected as I'm not overly familiar yet with the keyboard. Go figure.

Keep calm and carry on! :D

I can relate to this since although I have followed the BRF since the 80’s and considered myself to be pretty knowledgeable until I came here. :lol: I was in awe of the knowledge that iluvbertie and others members have that I simply didn’t know about the BRF. I have learned a lot and continue to learn. I am so grateful for this forum where I can read, learn and share opinions with other Royally obsessed geeks like me. :flowers:

Breaking: Joint statement this morning from William and Harry over reports of bullying.
‘Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between The Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge.
‘For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful.’

It’s clear from my conversations this morning that BOTH brothers are deeply, deeply unhappy about suggestions that Harry feels he has been ‘bullied’ out of the Royal Family by William.

I think that statement says a lot about the ongoing coverage of these last few days. People having to constantly deny these clickbait lies by the press. But hey it got the brothers to agree on something.

Though interesting how quickly we get a statement of this nature when it involves certain royals. Kind of gives value to the fact they can and will counter a narrative if truly important to them.

Last edited:
I’m petty enough to openly say (not directed at anyone in particular), but I TOLD YOU SO.

Thank the lord for this announcement and Roya Nikkah should be ashamed of what she wrote for a BS article.

I didn’t believe it anyway, but the question begs to be answered, are all these stories just made up by the media or are they being fed from inside sources? This is such a circus at this point,

I thought it was the Tom Bradby they were denying. That was.qn appalling story which claimed everyone bullied Meghan amd Harry.

I think Harry and Meghan are wise to get trademark protection for a wide assortment of commercial ventures, even if those ventures (i.e., mental health counselling) are not on the table - and none of us knows what is on the table right now. The registrations protect them from someone else from opening a business using the name and fooling the public into thinking Harry and Meghan are involved.

I thought it was the Tom Bradby they were denying. That was.qn appalling story which claimed everyone bullied Meghan amd Harry.
Honestly, I didn't read the story but I wouldn't be surprised that it was made up out of whole cloth. The idea that the royal family is furious with Harry and Meghan for wanting to step back is really not very credible. William would not want to force Harry to be a full-time royal against Harry's wishes and Charles has always seemed loathed to force Harry and William to do things they don't want to do.

As has been pointed out, William was a part-time royal for years. Camilla has certainly struggled with being a member of the royal family (and has received a ton of negative media). I also think Charles, and even the Queen, would have chosen another life if it had been possible.

I doubt that Harry and Meghan are thinking of starting a new home shopping network. Other senior members of the family have run dignified commercial concerns. I acknowledge that, in the past, it has been the men men who marry into the family, but it is the 21st century.

It will be interesting to see what will be worked out but I cannot believe that Harry and Meghan will be given any consequences for the current situation. I also do not believe that either Harry or Meghan will keep Charles, William and the rest of the family from Archie. I'm sure that in time, it will all sort itself out.

With respect to the Queen and Prince Philip, i hope this has not been stressful for them. But even if it has, I think they would be the first to say that Harry and Meghan should live their own lives. If the Queen lives as long as her mother, it will be another 10 years. I don't think it is reasonable for them to wait that long if they are unhappy with the current situation.

That supposed statement was extremely badly written and vague. And it doesn't actually deny anything...I am not entirely sure why it was released.

That supposed statement was extremely badly written and vague. And it doesn't actually deny anything...I am not entirely sure why it was released.

"Despite clear denials" are the first three words!

But you are willing to trust what the tabloid/media says...how does that makes sense? These same ppl who have been caught lying and distorting in order to sell papers.

LaRae

It is not the tabloids that make me not trust them. It is their past and current actions. BP said they were working on this but these two released the demand list as if it was completely decided when it wasn't. They claim to be oh so emotionally fragile but they have no problem plotting and planning all of this mess. I don't think they have as many problems as they claim, they just know what buttons to push for sympathy.

Tom Brandby is also the one that said H&M were prepare to do an interview spilling the beans on the RF if their demands weren't met. He has stated that he speaks with Harry and has a good relationship, so why would he jeopardize that by fabricating stories which is what he knows Harry detests? Something doesn't look right here.

"Despite clear denials" are the first three words!

Clear denials about what? It doesn't name specifics that is what I mean. If we saw this statement without the RRs saying it was about the bullied claim, would you know what the "clear denials" were about? No. Almost single last UK paper has ran a NUMBER of stories, extremely inflammatory ones at that, about the Wales' Brothers relationship today between print and online.

As someone who has written statements for public figures before, this is a classic hedge your bets statement. It is extremely weird. Not sure what either "side" was hoping to achieve with it. It also begs the question of why this supposed story warrants a denial but the other incredibly damaging stories don't?

As I said, it is just very random to me.

Last edited:
Tom Brandby is also the one that said H&M were prepare to do an interview spilling the beans on the RF if their demands weren't met. He has stated that he speaks with Harry and has a good relationship, so why would he jeopardize that by fabricating stories which is what he knows Harry detests? Something doesn't look right here.

Tom is also extremely close to William. He is close to both brothers, especially close actually.

Sigh, this is all just so weird. I am exhausted as a royal watcher. I hope things settle ASAP.

At this point, HM really should just allow them to do whatever interview they're threatening to do. There's nothing to stop them from doing it anyway, so all the palace is accomplishing by temporarily preventing it is to kick the can down the road. The British public isn't on H&M's side here, and they're the only ones HM answers to. Meghan publicly going nuclear at some point looks like a virtual certainty, and there's not likely to be a better time than now to let it happen.

I agree!
Get it over with while Harry and Meghan have lost much public goodwill, that dilutes the impact.

(It's just a form of blackmail, and the best response to blackmail was the Duke of Wellington's).

Where have they published this statement? Link, please?
Thank you.

It wasn't published officially or on letterhead but given to the RRs by the Palace presumably.

I’m petty enough to openly say (not directed at anyone in particular), but I TOLD YOU SO.

Thank the lord for this announcement and Roya Nikkah should be ashamed of what she wrote for a BS article.

The Times article in question was written by Valentine Low, not RN.

Additionally, sources say that Harry and Meghan have no plans to do an interview:

Tom is also extremely close to William. He is close to both brothers, especially close actually.

Sigh, this is all just so weird. I am exhausted as a royal watcher. I hope things settle ASAP.

I'm betting he's not close to William any more, if he ever was, after that hatchet job article Bradby just published.

I am looking forward to this entire thing being settled so everyone involved can get on with their lives. My expectation is that Harry and Meghan will get virtually everything they have demanded. How that will work out for the larger BRF in the long run is questionable, but even though the royal family are, according to some, terrible, heartless, unprogressive people (sarcasm intended) I'm very sure that all of them love Harry and want nothing but for him to be happy. The damage from the breach of trust and lack of respect for the Queen may never heal, but that is the BRF's private business.

I don’t think Harry and Meghan will get everything they want and think they are entitled to. They will get their freedom, but with limited ability to make $$ by using words “HRH” and “Royal” on anything. That just too commercial and crass. What then is to stop Anne, Andre, Edward and the rest of the clan from doing the same.

We will see H&M at funerals and, perhaps, Charles coronation. Maybe a private visit here and there.

These two are going to be as free as caged birds.

It wasn't published officially or on letterhead but given to the RRs by the Palace presumably.

If it wasn't posted o the Sussex Royal Insta or personally approved through their stringent vetting of media that are allowed to write about them, then can we be sure Harry said it? :lol:

Reactions: Fem
I don’t think Harry and Meghan will get everything they want and think they are entitled to. They will get their freedom, but with limited ability to make $$ by using words “HRH” and “Royal” on anything. That just too commercial and crass. What then is to stop Anne, Andre, Edward and the rest of the clan from doing the same.

We will see H&M at funerals and, perhaps, Charles coronation. Maybe a private visit here and there.

These two are going to be as free as caged birds.

To me the red line should be not allowing their business to use the ‘royal’ label. I am not sure about Sussex as it is a title which is privately held by Harry and which will be inherited by his son , so I don’t see how he can be prevented from trademarking it as other peers do for commercial purposes. There may be an issue with Sussex being mistaken for the Sussex region in England in which case they might insist that their brand be changed to “ Duke of Sussex” or something along those lines instead.

I don’t see any strategic advantage for the RF to argue about 24/7 state security as long as the British and Canadian governments are willing to pay for it as I think they will if asked by the Palace, but we have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I'm betting he's not close to William any more, if he ever was, after that hatchet job article Bradby just published.

I am looking forward to this entire thing being settled so everyone involved can get on with their lives. My expectation is that Harry and Meghan will get virtually everything they have demanded. How that will work out for the larger BRF in the long run is questionable, but even though the royal family are, according to some, terrible, heartless, unprogressive people (sarcasm intended) I'm very sure that all of them love Harry and want nothing but for him to be happy. The damage from the breach of trust and lack of respect for the Queen may never heal, but that is the BRF's private business.

There is no question Bradby was close to William (and Harry) going back decades even. William having regular conversations with Bradby was how William was able to figure out his cell was being hacked. Bradby was specifically asked to do their engagement interview, advised Kate on media for years, was a personal invite to their wedding, Kate worked with Bradby's wife on a jewelry piece (or art piece?) for charity and Bradby was also invited to private Middleton family events.

Last edited:
To me the red line should be not allowing their business to use the ‘royal’ label. I am not sure about Sussex as it is a title which is privately held by Harry and which will be inherited by his son , so I don’t see how he can be prevented from trademarking it as other peers do for commercial purposes.

I don’t see any strategic advantage for the RF to argue about 24/7 state security as long as the British and Canadian governments are willing to pay for it as I think they will if asked by the Palace, but we have to wait and see.

Yes, the addition of the "royal" to Sussex has always been the sticking point for me, but we'll see how that plays out. The Sussexes certainly have gone to a lot of trouble to set up the Sussex Royal brand, so using it may be non-negotiable for them. It all depends on how scorched earth they are willing to go.

Except he didn't say that exactly. I think that is the point. He spoke in a hypothetical in that "Harry knows where the bodies are buried" if it came to that point and it went from there. He had no business saying that either but this man is also a reporter with his own agenda too. He claims knows both brothers well but he is also going to do his job, so to speak.

All that said, I don't think the Sussexes will get all what they want. It will be a compromise that works with everyone but most important will protect the monarchy. They the pure intention was just to remove them or them just walk away than all this happening today wouldn't be. So we shall see.

Is it the times article they are referring to?

It does seem to be, yes. The Times article not only contained the allegation of bullying, but also denials from both friends of Williams and other friends of Harry's.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex regard themselves as having been pushed away from the royal family by the “bullying” attitude of his brother the Duke of Cambridge, The Times understands.

In an analysis that is contested by sources close to Prince William and others close to Prince Harry, the Sussexes want to step away from their royal role after two years of “constantly being told their place”, according to a source that knows the couple well.

And reporters who've actually talked to the palace sources have confirmed that the characterization of bullying is the problem.

There is no question Bradby was close to William (and Harry) going back decades even. William having regular conversations with Bradby was how William was able to figure out his cell was being hacked. Bradby was specifically asked to do their engagement interview, advised Kate on media for years, was a personal invite to their wedding, Kate worked with Bradby's wife on a jewelry piece (or art piece?) for charity and Bradby was also invited to private Middleton family events.

Bradby has himself denied being friends, instead calling himself "a friendly face".

He says while it did occur to him that " building a relationship with Prince William might be useful to the rest of my journalistic life", he said he has always gravitated toward people he likes and who "have humanity".

"My mother hated that calculation and she particularly hated people who kissed arse, especially the arses of those who were powerful," he said. "I suppose that stuck with me. William has his proper friends and I am not one of them. I'm a friendly face in the media and someone he can talk to if he wants to."

Source: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...iam-just-someone-he-can-talk-to-34419495.html

So basically they just burned to the ground Tom Bradby or what ?

Has the meeting started yet ? I don’t suppose there will be a statement to the press afterwards today, or will it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom