The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So she once had a loving relationship with her father..what changed?

I can’t speak as to the details, but I agree completely that Meghan’s “my way or the highway” attitude is not conducive to forging good relationships with anyone. I’m disgusted with how she’s treated her new family - and I’m tired of reading about how they haven’t supported her. We know HM and Charles have for sure - and Camilla. I wonder if Meghan doesn’t make it easy for anyone to help her.

Meghan and her father clearly have a complicated relationship. It seemed she loved him from afar and he wasn't that active in her adult life. But it all came to a head leading up to her wedding. But then again he has never meet Harry and that says something in itself.

As for the "support" from the family. We know what they want us to see publicly. We have no idea what happens behind closed doors with any of these people. I think history has shown us that.

And this goes to show that the media is just jumping on anything to spread a story whether it is true of not. The papers have ID'ed the man rented out the home where Meghan and Harry are saying. Has his name all over the place with random details. Now this man is flat out saying they are wrong.

Will it even matter? No. The media don't care because people are just reading and taking everything for face value whether it is true or not.

If they had just waited and held the announcement back until everything was in place all this could have been avoided.
I am exhausted thinking about It, goodness knows how the main players are feeling.
My prediction ,they will withdraw from royal duties, Charles will pay them an allowance in return for certain conditions. They will live abroad, Meghan will never return. Harry will come back for specific family events.

I do remember that but honestly, interaction goes both ways and not only did we not really see any interaction from Kate, we didn't see any from Meghan. I remember see pictures of Louis trying to show Meghan his (Kate's) sunglasses and it didn't appear as though she even gave him a glance or a minute's attention. So I guess it really works both ways.

I think Victoria Arbiter’s response to my tweet about being confused by the supposed lack of support for Meghan when we know HM and Charles have bears mentioning:

I think people are put out by the parent lack of a public show of support, but just because you can't see something it doesn't mean it's not there. We can't possibly know what was offered behind the scenes.

Also, maybe the family has offered support and Meghan just can’t recognize it. Maybe she’s expecting them to be more overt in their expression of affection (if they aren’t), I don’t know. I DO know that she’s running away after barely giving this life and her new family a chance

No one is running anywhere. Harry and Meghan are not quitting and never returning. Their website clearly says they want to continue doing engagements for the Firm and support their patronages.

LaRae

If they had just waited and held the announcement back until everything was in place all this could have been avoided.
I am exhausted thinking about It, goodness knows how the main players are feeling.
My prediction ,they will withdraw from royal duties, Charles will pay them an allowance in return for certain conditions. They will live abroad, Meghan will never return. Harry will come back for specific family events.

:previous:
If attention had been paid sooner to everything that was going on last year, things could have been handled and worked out a lot sooner behind-the-scenes.

Predictions as to what might ultimately happen are a dime a dozen.

The Keir Simmons report linked earlier gives his current version of events.

Last edited:
I have no idea if she was with them for several weeks or not and neither do any of you. We have no photographs and no public statements about their break or who was with them. Maybe she was and maybe she wasn't. I'm simply saying that I, like any of you here, am entitled to my own opinion and my opinion is that she may not be as close to her as people have previously thought. And, that only entered my mind when pictures emerged that made it clear that she's now at her own home in LA while all of this upheaval is happening. Meghan herself constantly tells us how she's "not okay" but then when things are literally in chaos all around her and her family and she feels the need to run to another continent in order to escape it all her mother that is supposedly so incredibly close to her carries on as though it's all incredibly normal? That, like much of the world surrounding Harry and Meghan, makes very little sense. As for her father, as someone who has a toxic father myself I've never and would never judge the fact that Meghan removed him from her life. I even have a father that provided quite well for me during my childhood but when it boiled right down to it he was toxic and it was better for myself and my children not to have him in our lives. It sucks but it happens. That doesn't mean, though, that you have to cut yourself off from both sides of your family. And it's hard to believe that every single relative on both sides of her family are so incredibly toxic that you can't allow yourself to be associated with them in any way. But, we just simply don't know enough about all of them to judge that.

I just find it very strange that this mother than she's supposed to be so incredibly close to doesn't go to her only child in the middle of all this. That's odd.

We have no pictures of them at all during that break other than the one of Archie and Harry posted and the one of the family sent to their patronages. We did have an official statement saying they would be with Doria during the holidays. Harry and Meghan flew back to England for a few days. Doria likely went home back to her own responsibilities. And another thing -- Meghan doesn't constantly tells us anything. She said it once. It people like us and the media who constantly bring it up.

I just find it very strange that this mother than she's supposed to be so incredibly close to doesn't go to her only child in the middle of all this. That's odd.

Well to be fair, her mother does work for a living and has her own life. It has been reported that she spent Christmas with them which of course she would since Meghan is her only child and Archie is her only Grandchild.

:previous:
If attention had been paid sooner to everything that was going on last year, things could have been handled and worked out a lot sooner behind-the-scenes.

Predictions as to what might ultimately happen are a dime a dozen.

I've wondered that too. Perhaps the 'wait and see' approach went on too long.

LaRae

I agree that given everything we've seen this is probably the most likely outcome. The only thing that I'd maybe disagree with is that Harry will come back for some family events. I honestly don't expect to see Harry at any events with the BRF for the foreseeable future. As long as Meghan isn't attending I don't think we'll see Harry, either. That may change in the future depending on a variety of factors but I'd guess that that's probably where things will stand for the time being.

Completely agree. I find this crass and tacky ..and disrespectful beyond belief

Do you find it equally disrespectful that the Cambridges have done the same thing? Not to mention Charles and the Duchy etc?

LaRae

If there is any truth to the stories about the Sussex threat to do a tell all interview if they don't get their way, I don't know why any company would want to do business with them. If they are willing to do that to his 93 year old grandmother, imagine what they would do to a company/corporation if they didn't come up with the appropriate dollars on demand. Over the last few days, I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't trust anything they say.

I imagine if they end up coming over for some events, they won't have to worry about the Order of the Garter service. I think Harry can kiss that honor goodbye.

Well to be fair, her mother does work for a living and has her own life. It has been reported that she spent Christmas with them which of course she would since Meghan is her only child and Archie is her only Grandchild.

She does. I do, too. But I can also assure you that if my only child was at the center of global chaos and clearly struggling I'd be there to support her. Job or no job, sometimes your kids, even as adults, have to come first. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's only my opinion. But I'm allowed to have an opinion and to post it here. Doesn't mean others have to agree with it, doesn't mean I'm 100% right. Doesn't mean I'm 100% wrong, either, though. To me this just simply seems like one of those times that a bit of support and her mother's presence might be beneficial and appreciated. She might even be a good person to speak to all of this about when decisions are needing to be made or feelings are overflowing. I'm 100% positive that her mother wouldn't leak anything to the press and might be a voice of reason and experience. Yes, she doesn't have the type of global experience and worldwide public presence that the BRF does but she does have the benefit of years of experience and cooler heads being that she has no financial stake in any of this.

Reactions: Fem
If there is any truth to the stories about the Sussex threat to do a tell all interview if they don't get their way, I don't know why any company would want to do business with them. If they are willing to do that to his 93 year old grandmother, imagine what they would do to a company/corporation if they didn't come up with the appropriate dollars on demand. Over the last few days, I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't trust anything they say.

I imagine if they end up coming over for some events, they won't have to worry about the Order of the Garter service. I think Harry can kiss that honor goodbye.

But you are willing to trust what the tabloid/media says...how does that makes sense? These same ppl who have been caught lying and distorting in order to sell papers.

LaRae

Meghan and her father clearly have a complicated relationship. It seemed she loved him from afar and he wasn't that active in her adult life. But it all came to a head leading up to her wedding. But then again he has never meet Harry and that says something in itself.

As for the "support" from the family. We know what they want us to see publicly. We have no idea what happens behind closed doors with any of these people. I think history has shown us that.

And this goes to show that the media is just jumping on anything to spread a story whether it is true of not. The papers have ID'ed the man rented out the home where Meghan and Harry are saying. Has his name all over the place with random details. Now this man is flat out saying they are wrong.

Will it even matter? No. The media don't care because people are just reading and taking everything for face value whether it is true or not.

I can’t argue with anything you said. It doesn’t change my mind about H and M, but I will try and take reports with many grains of salt...

It's hard to keep up with this thread - obviously a lot of people feel strongly about this. But I wonder if there is less going on behind the scenes than we think there is.

After all, the leak in this case is hardly the worst thing to have happened to the Queen - even within the last year. Harry and Meghan criticized the media, not the family. Moreover, they are not quitting, they plan to continue performing some duties. My guess is that the Queen and Prince Charles may have been a bit annoyed by the premature release but they are famous for taking the long-term view. I also find it hard to believe that William is in a "rage" over the release or Harry's plans to become a part time royal. I'm sure there is some discord in the family, but less than the media (which has to generate clicks and newspaper sales) are alleging.

It was obvious from the ITV interview that Meghan is very unhappy and believes she needs more space from the British media. Perhaps her personality is not suited for royal life - which is hardly a crime. On the other hand, with some time away, she may decide to come back stronger.

I think it would have been better if they worked out the plans with the Queen and Prince Charles and then quietly put it into practice. But I think that becoming "financially independent" would have made that difficult. I am sure they have some ideas on how to make money in a dignified manner. It is not unreasonable for them to be paid for heading up a charity, as long as the bulk of the money raised is used for the charity and they are not just figure heads. I think we'll find out soon.

Oh a lot of American media will happily line up for the exclusive. Hollywood works on short term money making opportunities--and most of these people have egos so big that they cannot imagine that anything like this would ever happen to them.

I don't know if what you say about the garter is true--I fully expect the BRF to give in. I am pretty sure they are trying to get all the Sussex demands met. They are acting as a father and grandmother.

I don't know if it is arrogance or hubris but the BRF has misjudged the public's mood at every possible opportunity. The do not have any forethought they course correct when too late. I do not expect that to change.

I keep seeing posters refer to what "they plan to do" in terms of their performance of duties to support or, in their words collaborate with, the Queen. However, what they plan to do and what they'll be allowed to do might be two very different things. Right now there's a strong public sentiment that they were disrespectful to the Queen and the institution of the monarchy and that won't be easily forgotten. It may be that the RF find it best to simply give them a settlement and be done with the "performing duties" part of it. It may be that they say they'll do them but when they find there's backlash they opt out of doing anymore. It may be that that was simply a bargaining chip and not something they ever really had any intention of doing. We simply don't know. But, given the behavior that's been displayed over quite a long period and culminating in their bombshell release, combined with the apparent public feeling about all this, I suspect that their "intention" may not be their reality when it's all said and done.

Do you find it equally disrespectful that the Cambridges have done the same thing? Not to mention Charles and the Duchy etc?

LaRae

William and Kate have a line of stationary, shoes, clothing, etc.. using the Cambridge name? Charles sells Prince of Wales Pretzels, etc...?

I am not familiar with what how other Royals promote their names/titles, but one difference between them and M/H is that the latter want to be part-time Royals, picking and choosing the parts of that life that they want to accept or reject.

William and Kate have a line of stationary, shoes, clothing, etc.. using the Cambridge name? Charles sells Prince of Wales Pretzels, etc...?

I am not familiar with what how other Royals promote their names/titles, but one difference between them and M/H is that the latter want to be part-time Royals, picking and choosing the parts of that life that they want to accept or reject.

Who does? Mind pointing me to this store link because I wasn't aware of these stationaries and pretzels...

Prince Charles sells a number of products under the Duchy brand. The Cambridges TM's their 'brand' around the same time the Sussexes did and so far NEITHER of them have sold anything. So why are you so outraged about the Sussexes? Looks like selective outrage to me.

Go read the Sussex website. It's laid out quite clearly they will continue to do engagements for the Firm and support their patronages. There are several members of the family that work part time. They do their various engagements and then go on about the rest of their lives.

There is no reason in this day and age the working members of the family can't figure out new ways to do things. In the age of technology it's very easy to have meetings and keep in contact with whomever is needed. It doesn't have to be done like it's been done the past 50/100 years because it's always been that way. The Queen goes to Scotland several months a year but manages to keep in touch with what's going on. Canada (assuming that's the location) is a CW country and they can easily get where they need to be from there.

LaRae

I keep seeing posters refer to what "they plan to do" in terms of their performance of duties to support or, in their words collaborate with, the Queen. However, what they plan to do and what they'll be allowed to do might be two very different things. Right now there's a strong public sentiment that they were disrespectful to the Queen and the institution of the monarchy and that won't be easily forgotten. It may be that the RF find it best to simply give them a settlement and be done with the "performing duties" part of it. It may be that they say they'll do them but when they find there's backlash they opt out of doing anymore. It may be that that was simply a bargaining chip and not something they ever really had any intention of doing. We simply don't know. But, given the behavior that's been displayed over quite a long period and culminating in their bombshell release, combined with the apparent public feeling about all this, I suspect that their "intention" may not be their reality when it's all said and done.

Agreed. I think he public will have long memories when it comes to how H and M have treated the Queen, Charles, and by extension Philip and William....It’s naive to think that, once this is settled, everyone will be happy and life will go on as if none of this happened. How will the public react if and when the Sussexes return ? I doubt it will be with unfettered joy.

LaRae

Let’s put it this way: Meghan and her North American advisers probably see the Duchy as the family business on the corner. Sussex Royal ,the global brand, can be so much more .

Again, it’s cuitural misunderstanding and lack of awareness that royalty is a pre-capitalist institution.

Last edited:
Who does? Mind pointing me to this store link because I wasn't aware of these stationaries and pretzels...

I was being facetious, but someone asked me what the difference is between what H and M propose to do (read the Guardian article) and what William, Kate and Charles are already doing. Harry and Meghan plan on branding their titles in several commercial venture (clothing, etc..)...I don’t know to what extend the Cambridges and PoW promote their “brand”

Well... lets see here. The Royal Collection Trust as a collection is owned by Elizabeth II and overseen by the Royal Collection Trust. The Queen owns some of the collection in right of the Crown and some as a private individual. This is the entity that has well stocked "trademarked" gift shops and even an online website store. The profits help to maintain this collection. Notice too that the website says "Official Royal Gift Shop". :D

https://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk

Waitrose Duchy Organics are also sold at an online store and as stated earlier, it was founded in 1990 by The Prince of Wales to not only promote his passion of sustainability but this "marketing" also puts profits into his Prince's Trust endeavors which helps so many different people.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/organic_shop

Both the Queen and The Prince of Wales have not let these ventures detract from the job they're to do. Should Harry and Meghan go this route, its possible then that with it being tied to their foundation, they wish to take more time to work with it, establish it and lessen the "Firm" side of things and be "junior" rather than "senior". I don't know. None of us know. What this all does tell me is that "marketing" and "branding" isn't something new to the people that are trying to work all of this out with the Sussexes.

To quote Alice, things are really getting "curiouser and curiouser" ?

Last edited:
Let’s put it this way: Meghan and her North American advisers probably see the Duchy as the family business on the corner. Sussex Royal ,the global brand, can be so much more .

Ok and so what? If people are going to be outraged at the Sussexes for selling something (which has not happened) or creating a brand then they need to be consistent with their outrage. This ain't nothing new in the family.

LaRae

I was being facetious, but someone asked me what the difference is between what H and M propose to do (read the Guardian article) and what William, Kate and Charles are already doing. Harry and Meghan plan on branding their titles in several commercial venture (clothing, etc..)...I don’t know to what extend the Cambridges and PoW promote their “brand”

And the tabloids tell the truth right? You are making assumptions based on rumor and speculation. Their website says absolutely nothing like what you are saying...go read it. Sussexroyal.com

Go research what Charles does with the Duchy.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

Or the will do what they say. Not sure where all "Meghan will never return" nonsense is coming from. As pointed her BFF Lindsay lives there. She has organizations there she is close to. This narrative doesn't even make sense. Seems more like a wish list to me.

So was I...

Sussexes and Cambridges did the same thing in regard to trademark. No one has sold anything. No idea if they will. Just seems like selective outrage on what you assume will happen no matter if it does or not.

Last edited:
Prince Charles sells a number of products under the Duchy brand. The Cambridges TM's their 'brand' around the same time the Sussexes did and so far NEITHER of them have sold anything. So why are you so outraged about the Sussexes? Looks like selective outrage to me.

Go read the Sussex website. It's laid out quite clearly they will continue to do engagements for the Firm and support their patronages. There are several members of the family that work part time. They do their various engagements and then go on about the rest of their lives.

There is no reason in this day and age the working members of the family can't figure out new ways to do things. In the age of technology it's very easy to have meetings and keep in contact with whomever is needed. It doesn't have to be done like it's been done the past 50/100 years because it's always been that way. The Queen goes to Scotland several months a year but manages to keep in touch with what's going on. Canada (assuming that's the location) is a CW country and they can easily get where they need to be from there.

LaRae

I think the most likely business would be designer clothing made using environmentally sustainable materials, with some of the profits being donated to charities.

LaRae

I’ll look into the Prince Charles/Duchy and Cambridge’s branding - I’m now curious about that.

The problem about being part timers is less an issue than it is how they’ve gone about this. We know that the Queen and Charles were very happy to accommodate Harry and Meghan - they just wanted the process to quietly play out. The public isn’t against the two needing separation if that’s what makes them happy. I think if these two hadn’t jumped the gun, treating their family with such disrespect, that the public might not even care if Charles partially financed them or if they got some sort of security. You make excellent points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom