The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think rather that the family is stronger with Harry (and Meghan) in it and finding some way to serve. They are an asset when it comes to the work itself. But the attacks on them were untenable (and I know not everyone agrees here that they were untoward) in the long term.
I don't think so at this point nor for the foreseeable future. Tom Bradby made some comments earlier in the week regarding that there has been friction going back to the wedding so the behind the scenes disharmony actually preceded the media onslaught.

My take is that Meghan realized that things were not going to get better with neither the British media nor the so-called "men in grey". Concurrent with that is that she has become a global superstar and as such there are opportunities galore for her make money and support the causes that she holds dear without being in a work environment that she undoubtedly finds toxic. It was probably a no-brainer in her mind that she needed to shake the BRF off and move on to the next chapter. I think all the rhetoric around serving the monarchy is for PR and also probably represents Harry's point of view, although it should be noted that Harry seems to have reverence for his grandmother and her role but he's also made clear that he does not care for bread and butter royal work.

Interestingly it is often referenced that the Windsors are ruthless and IMO Meghan is ruthless as well. I don't agree with quite a few things that the Sussexes have done but I don't know if I should be blase about one party's ruthless ways and condemning of the other's.

I think in the long-term the BRF will be fine and Meghan will be fine, the unknown is Harry. My hope is that the current uncoupling and the uncoupling(s) to come will be done amiably and that there is room for reconciliation and, to borrow a phrase from the Sussex Royal website, new working models.

I support the decisions of the Sussex couple. Get plenty of life chances

Furious Prince Philip said ‘What the hell are they playing at?’ after Harry and Meghan decided to quit the Royal Family.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10719...-decision-quit/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

If true, this is terrible ..and her I love it at the same time. I love that Philip is such a spitfire that he’s expressing his fury at his grandson and his wife. It’s terrible that he’s 98, sadly in ill health, and has to deal with this. I wonder if Harry cares that he truly has let down so many people who love him

Charles will fly back from the Gulf nation of Oman, where he was attending a condolence ceremony Sunday following the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7bab00-3534-11ea-a1ff-c48c1d59a4a1_story.html. I was wondering how Prince Charles was going to pay respects in Oman and attend the Monday meetings, a bit of a rough schedule. Despite my really wanting this to work out for the Harry and Megan, they were pretty selfish in the way they went about the process of "stepping down".

He might have been able to talk to some other royals (including the Dutch king) about the whole mess he is currently trying to solve. They might be one of the few who truly understand what this means for a monarchy and family.

The "leak" was the following article, published by The Sun the day before the couple made their announcement:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10693487/prince-harry-meghan-move-to-canada/

It begins with:

and then quotes further details (ETA: not of their specific plans, but arguments in support of the move) from anonymous "friends of the couple".
So, it had already leaked? In that case I don't understand how they were getting ahead of a leak that had already been published by issuing a statement and sharing all kinds of details on their proposed way forward that the palace already had indicated needed more work on their website.

The idea that Harry and Meghan might want to live elsewhere and do things differently wasn't new...

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN is doing a lot of coverage on this mess and it normally doesn't do wall to wall royal coverage, even with Andrew was in the news. Then the ad came on: CNN is doing a documentary titled the Windsors next month. All of this is most likely going to be included in the show. Based on CNN reporting so far the BRF and the British press are going to take hits, but it needs to be careful it doesn't come off that all of Britain is out to take down an American (some are though) so this is payback.

I support the decisions of the Sussex couple. Get plenty of life chances
I also support their decision to step back however I don't agree with the manner in which they've dealt with it. IMO they should have waited for the BRF along with the British and Canadian governments to come to an agreed upon plan.

Stepping back

Sometimes we step back to step forward. The US rag mags read Markle defies crown etc... In the next twenty years the royal family will be instrumental in creation of economies, jobs and goodwill. I am glad that they have chosen to build wealth and family. Family connection is what makes this world a merciful and better place. Service to others is a gift from the royals not the common right of world. I invite them to look at the Midwest as a stopping place for privacy. The current turmoil with Andrew does concern me a bit, but the solution is to merely marry him off post haste. He has been a bachelor far too long. Members of the royal family are far too often put in bad company as if it was funny. It merely defines the difference between them and others. We all need to be wary of our surroundings at all times. There are vultures out there everywhere. I wish everyone a prosperous new year!

Suzzannah

Hmmm. I don’t buy it. If Harry felt that Meghan needed to get out of the country, then he should have explained that to his father and grandmother. He could have brought her to Canada and then returned himself to try and hash this out...privately. In fact, why even bring Meghan back at all?

As to the comments from ex friends, I’d that’s true, then that’s a bunch of bull and it’s H and M feeling sorry for themselves

A source said tonight: “The statement was rushed out and part of the reason for that is that Harry knew he needed to take swift action.

"Meghan has not settled in the UK and he knows that and wants her to be happy.

“And it has got worse recently, with their spell in Canada helping to cement her view that the family would be better off out of the spotlight and spending more time there.

“He feared staying in the UK too long would lead to Meghan having a meltdown. That is why things moved so quickly.”

But ex-pals claim their announcement to step back from the royals isn't surprising as Meghan and Harry always felt like "outsiders".

One source told the Daily Beast: "They just felt totally unwelcome."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10720745/meghan-markle-meltdown-toxic-harry/

CNN is doing a lot of coverage on this mess and it normally doesn't do wall to wall royal coverage, even with Andrew was in the news. Then the ad came on: CNN is doing a documentary titled the Windsors next month. All of this is most likely going to be included in the show. Based on CNN reporting so far the BRF and the British press are going to take hits, but it needs to be careful it doesn't come off that all of Britain is out to take down an American (some are though) so this is payback.

CNN is, like all American coverage, pro H and M and anti BRF. I won’t be watching, but thanks for the info !

Not sure what ‘contardictors’ are???
I’ve reread my post & I made no reference to Meghan whatsoever - not sure why you assumed I was labeling her a victim. Nor did I label ‘all...bloody racists’ - no need to set up a straw man argument to obfuscate the fact that Phillip and Andrew have been accused of uttering offensive racist comments long before Harry met Meghan.
And no need to to be condescending, labeling my listing of sources for the quotations as a ‘pretty little inventory.’ I try to treat all posters with respect and I would appreciate the same courtesy.
I certainly hope that most members of the RF are not racist or bigoted, but there is evidence that some are...insensitive.

And there is evidence that some have an agenda by stirring the pot on the racism front.
I mean it's so easy. Some posters were accused to have waited so bad the fallout of Meghan. I must say that it's obvious that some posters waited so bad to see the Windsors shown in a bad light.
From day 1 there was some kind of defiance toward the institution, the Establishment. More than a bit a fresh air, Meghan had to give the Windsors a run for their money.
In our insanely over sensitive PC world, the Harry/ Meghan story has always been quite heavy on the red flagged class, sex, political and race fronts. I remember quite well what i thought when their engagement came out : if it works, it will be a world class triumph for the modernization of the Monarchy, if it doesn't, it will explode in the face of the Queen.
Well, where are we now ?

Harry and Meghan need to read this - and I can’t believe I’m saying this of a NY Post article.

They hate the “Royal Rota” system, in which a designated royal reporter and photographer cover their events as representatives of the entire media and the royals have to do a little light waving and smiling and generally go along with it. What they don’t seem to understand is that this system exists for their protection; in exchange for the small compromise of making nice with designated journos on a set schedule, they get a break from the pandemonium of being trailed by hordes of invasive paparazzi at all times.

As if! Within the royal embrace, media coverage is bubble-wrapped. Out there in the cold cruel world of ordinary celebrity, it’s anything goes. No “Royal Rota” agreement applies in Hollywood. It’s every paparazzo out for himself, every time you go out for a coffee, and when you’re on your own property you have to pay for your own security to keep them at bay instead of sending the bill to the taxpayer. The Royals, because of the circumstances of Princess Diana’s death and because of the institutional respect commanded by the Crown, are just about the only celebs west of Vladimir Putin who can enforce any limits whatsoever over their coverage.

Besides, if H & M ever were to break completely free of the Firm (unlikely), a big chunk of their mystique would be gone. They’ll soon find themselves being mocked for pimping out their new Sussex Royal brand. Hoodies, T-shirts, socks, ball caps and pencils — really? They’re going to leverage a thousand years of dignity and tradition for a bunch of cheesy crapola that’s going to wind up at the Dollar Tree? The whole point of being royal is to float above and beyond ordinary existence, to make ordinary mortals fantasize about what it’s like to be you. Once you’re doing interviews with E! or hawking Christmas ornaments on the Home Shopping Network, you’re just two schmucks getting torn apart by the late-night comics.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/11/why-harry-and-meghan-will-find-life-even-harder-as-non-royals/

What’s interesting about that Disney CEO video floating around is that you can’t even really hear either. You have it captioned but that doesn’t mean that’s what was said. At least some of the media was smart enough to say “allegedly” cause I’m sure they don’t want Disney coming at them. This also was started by a random YouTuber. Will be interesting if they comment.

That said, I don’t see the issue with it. No different than when William said it was his idea to do the Mary Berry special and pitched it to her. Charity acts all around. Just seem some want to be offended to be offended. Networking is the name of the game. You think Earthshots or Invictus got its backing without it too?

CNN is, like all American coverage, pro H and M and anti BRF. I won’t be watching, but thanks for the info !

Yes, soon we Americans will be inundated with magazine covers featuring a smiling Harry & Meghan embracing one another with headlines like "Harry & Meghan's Independence Day," "Don't Mess with Meghan," "Harry Makes His Mother Proud," and heaven knows what else. My stomach is already churning. :eek:

I also support their decision to step back however I don't agree with the manner in which they've dealt with it. IMO they should have waited for the BRF along with the British and Canadian governments to come to an agreed upon plan.

Exactly.... now followed up with the article by Tom Bradby has not helped.

There's no way that the Sun can know what Prince Philip said, but I'd imagine he said something similar, and probably a lot worse ... and I'd also imagine that he's extremely hurt that his grandson couldn't manage to come and see him over Christmas.

Philip himself, despite being a direct descendant of Queen Victoria, wasn't welcomed by "courtiers" (for lack of a better word) when he married the Queen. There's quite an amusing story about a snobby courtier telling him about Windsor Castle, implying that he'd be over-awed by it, and Philip pointing out that his own mother was born there, in the presence of Queen Victoria. So he'd probably have some sympathy with Meghan struggling to adapt, and it's well-known that he was upset at having to give up his naval career, but he's certainly not likely to have any patience with the disrespectful way that Harry and Meghan have treated the Queen.

Nobody is being racist. There was huge support for Harry and Meghan's marriage.

Yes, soon we Americans will be inundated with magazine covers featuring a smiling Harry & Meghan embracing one another with headlines like "Harry & Meghan's Independence Day," "Don't Mess with Meghan," "Harry Makes His Mother Proud," and heaven knows what else. My stomach is already churning. :eek:

Oh god, this is the truth....they’ll be on ET, Access Hollywood, People, you name it, Americans will eat it up. Not me. I don’t care about celebrities - I care about the Royals, and now I care about how this affects them.

The last part of this is heartbreaking ...If Harry doesn’t want to be Royal, then give all the trappings up, period, but that doesn’t require turning his back on his family and his heritage. His grandparents are elderly, his father is not young - and he needs his youngest. His brother misses him and their once special relationship deeply. Doesn’t he miss them?

DUNCAN LARCOMBE The Sunday Mirror: 'He's long dreamed of being Normal'

'Harry is the rebel prince who has always tried to escape what he calls his 'accident of birth'.

'By 'stepping back', Harry is boldly stating what many of us have known about him for years. He simply doesn't want to be royal, owned by the public and judged how successfully he toes the line.

'People should think twice before blaming Meghan for this decision. Far from being the woman who stole the people's prince, she has merely given her husband the courage to face his demons and follow his dream.

'I hope for his sake this bold step works, although I fear that once he has tasted life on the outside, Harry will regret turning his back on his family and the public, who have always held such a special place in their hearts for him.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-opinion-Harry-Meghan-decision-step-down.html

“Meghan’s doing”

What is she doing? How about Harry and the entire royal family? This is all on her? Fascinating.

No one is perfect or really a victim in this mess, IMO. And I think they ALL know it. People slinging nastiness won’t change it.

This week will be interesting.

Last edited:
held such a special place in their hearts for him.'

Not any more, no-one i've talked to about him [this last week], holds him in anything but contempt...and their opinion of his wife is unrepeatable here.

Last edited:
Charles will fly back from the Gulf nation of Oman, where he was attending a condolence ceremony Sunday following the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7bab00-3534-11ea-a1ff-c48c1d59a4a1_story.html. I was wondering how Prince Charles was going to pay respects in Oman and attend the Monday meetings, a bit of a rough schedule. Despite my really wanting this to work out for the Harry and Megan, they were pretty selfish in the way they went about the process of "stepping down".

For some reason I assumed that Charles and HM and William and Harry and all of the other rf and govt parties involved have been in continuing discussions since this bombshell hit. Now it seems like there will be a summit meeting tomorrow with these people. Does that mean the queen has not been involved until now? And maybe she is too frail to deal with this kind of a problem right now?
Has Charles been carrying out responsibilities besides the funeral the whole time or we just don't know?

I see some people want to send Harry and Meghan to the Tower. The virulence around is probably Meghan. Is in Canada .

Meghan is doing what she doing? How about Harry and the entire royal family? This is all on her? Fascinating.

No one is perfect or really a victim in this mess, IMO. And I think they ALL know it. People slinging nastiness won’t change it.

This week will be interesting.

Before you posted, it would have helped to be aware of the context...but you didn’t take the time.

I see the OP has deleted her comment - thank you!

Last edited:
That latest Bradby article is nothing short of damning for Harry and Meghan. They've let it be known that he's very much acting as one of their mouthpieces and now that piece that he's published is out there prior to their summit tomorrow. It's really nothing short of a threat, bribery, and even extortion and none of those will help their cause. It's really quite vile that they scream constantly about bullying and poor little Meghan being bullied but then resort to tactics like this to get their way with the RF? While I understand that they're family and the family will be loathe to cut them off entirely (well, except for Anne because I suspect she has very clear opinions about all of this and none of them are favorable for Harry and Meghan), they really can't cave to this and bend over backward to give these two anything. After all this they deserve nothing and while yes, it would be a massive problem for them to go anymore scorched earth than they already have, it's a massive problem now and for the future for them to be rewarded for this behavior. They're far too unreliable, unpredictable, and self-centered to be catered to and worked with considering that requires a degree of trust that they'll never have again.

After a couple of days of pondering over this, I agree. It seems that neither Harry or Meghan are suited for royal life - I don't want to start any comparisons, but it seems Harry probably got his taste for "normal" life from Diana since she made an effort for him and William to experience things - such as eating in McDonalds and going to theme parks - they wouldn't have experienced otherwise as royal children at the time. It wasn't surprising to hear them step back, but at the same time I also agree that their way of going about it wasn't the best approach and will feed on the viewpoint that they are spoiled and "want to have their cake and eat it too" - thus not helping the media attacks.

The fact the media are all up in arms about this decision from Harry and Meghan was expected but also makes me roll my eyes - they're partly responsible for this move.

Does, or can, Harry understand that a "normal" life for him would have to be intentionally very low profile? that being royal in and of itself is not so much what marks him out so much as the incredible fame he has known since birth?

To change that: Think life away from large cities. Intentionally limiting your appearances to private fundraisers for worthy charities. Perhaps that has what appealed to him about the prospect of living in Africa. Using your influence at the board room level instead of public events.

And now, his wife is as famous as he is. She wasn't when they met. Not by a long shot. But despite the complaints I think shes risen quite high in the celebrity world and is in no hurry to change that. Backing away from the royal aspect of her spotlight is her desire so she can become autonomous again.

This couple seems to be working at cross purposes with each other as they take on changing their relationship with the BRF.

I don't envy anyone involved in this dustup either personally or professionally.

Not any more, no-one i've talked about him to [this last week], holds him in anything but contempt...

I’m afraid that’s largely true - and it didn’t take that long for him to squander that love and goodwill.

I know how Americans would receive him - most think of Royals as celebrities to gush over. I wonder how Canadians will receive him?

The couple would not have much difficulty if Harry decided to become a U.S. citizen.

I think they'd be happy in Malibu, in one of its more remote sections, and with its very well-enforced paparazzi laws.

Denville, it just seems strange to me that a baby who can't speak but who has a passport can travel the World with any one other than it's parents.

Any baby could be snatched and taken over borders with any adult, therefore.
I guess there might be papers supporting the guardian role of the nanny but who can verify those to be accurate. No wonder children are kidnapped to other countries.

What would happen if the parents had an accident and couldn't return. For a low profile baby how would a nanny prove guardianship?

Would Prince William be able to claim that he is the baby's uncle?

Does, or can, Harry understand that a "normal" life for him would have to be intentionally very low profile? that being royal in and of itself is not so much what marks him out so much as the incredible fame he has known since birth?

To change that: Think life away from large cities. Intentionally limiting your appearances to private fundraisers for worthy charities. Perhaps that has what appealed to him about the prospect of living in Africa. Using your influence at the board room level instead of public events.

And now, his wife is as famous as he is. She wasn't when they met. Not by a long shot. But despite the complaints I think shes risen quite high in the celebrity world and is in no hurry to change that. Backing away from the royal aspect of her spotlight is her desire so she can become autonomous again.

This couple seems to be working at cross purposes with each other as they take on changing their relationship with the BRF.

I don't envy anyone involved in this dustup either personally or professionally.

Living a relatively "normal" life - or at least one that is quiet and devoid of too much attention - would indeed require living an intentionally low-profile life. I do feel that Harry and Meghan would or should recognise this concept.

They spent what, to me, would be an idyllic six weeks out of the public eye in amazing and tranquil surroundings, spending time alone or with friends or exploring the stunning scenery - all without hardly a mention in the press. We got a delightful photo of Harry and Archie over Christmas and a view of their Christmas card that was great.

Then the drama came and all thoughts of low-profile, tranquility seem to have vanished. More than enough has been said about that.

What Harry & Meghan seem to want to achieve is that low profile, tranquil private life and combine it with a high-profile - maybe internationally high-profile - professional/public role for the purpose of their charitable interests.

How that can be achieved will take a lot of time to work out and for it to come to fruition. Only with careful planning and a great deal of time and forbearance on all sides can it be properly achieved.

Last edited:
That is exactly the issue, they want to be high profile when it suits and completely private the rest of the time. That just isn't how it works, sadly, but realistically.

I said ages ago in reference to some other furore with the Sussex's, its not what they say and do as much as its the way its carried out. Likewise now we see all this fuss because they released a statement without any consultation and with far too may unanswered questions that leaves room for speculation and worst case scenarios.

If I was them I would seriously be looking at those giving them PR and communication advice and potentially be looking at suing them for gross misconduct, assuming they have been following the advice in the first place.

For some reason I assumed that Charles and HM and William and Harry and all of the other rf and govt parties involved have been in continuing discussions since this bombshell hit. Now it seems like there will be a summit meeting tomorrow with these people. Does that mean the queen has not been involved until now? And maybe she is too frail to deal with this kind of a problem right now?
Has Charles been carrying out responsibilities besides the funeral the whole time or we just don't know?
I think they have been preparing for the meeting. This isn't an ordinary family squabble. They need to consult with the UK and Canadian governments. They need to consult the police in both countries. It's been reported that they have looked into tax implications. They might have even had talks with other leaders in the Commonwealth.

This meeting needs to start with cooler heads, which a few days cooling off period will help. It also needs to be based in reality. H&M have given their wish list, now they need to know what the actual implications of these wishes are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom