The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is whether they call themselves Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor, or evening Sussex as a last name, businesses will want them.

People don’t have short memories. Harry is not a German prince or prince of a monarchy few people know of. Harry and Meghan are both already a brand. Harry the son of Diana and former party prince. Meghan as the birscial actress who married a prince. Anyone who thinks forcing them not to use their titles will stop them cashing in on who they are is dillusional at best.

In reality this scandal will help. Businesses won’t care if Harry is qualified, they want his fame and name even sans title. All this did is make Harry and Meghan even more recognizable. Recognition is money.

I’d be shocked if Harry and Meghan, whatever their name or title don’t already have deals lined up. If they plan on living in Canada and working even more sign they aren’t just jumping in blind and hoping to work it out. Only thing needing worked out is on the royal side.

To be honest I am not so sure about this. For a short time, maybe, but what can they offer? Though it leaves me stumbled how long Sarah Ferguson managed to make money in the US, but let us hope the Sussex couple will not drop down to her level.
But what can they offer beside their name and hidden information about the RF?
Are Us really dull enough to go after a d-level-ex actress and a british prince?

I just watched the video with Bob Iger and he is definetly uncomfortable in the situation and I was surprised to hear Harry begging for even more not recognizing,
but this has been a long thing what humans do for money, only us, mainly considered poor believe the rich ones would not need to do and get more, but yes, they do!-disgusting, but human!
If this is what Harry is for, the palace must stop this.
And some have already stepped back, Obama, Oprah, Beckhams ?, wait and see what the Clooneys will say who stepped in for her..... I am not so sure about Meghan's importance, maybe she has over-estimated the whole thing.

Last edited:
Moment Prince Harry appears to tout Meghan Markle for a Disney voiceover job

I do believe that the Sussexes have caused some of their bad press prior to this week. How they handled Archie's birth was needlessly secretive. What do they gain from keeping the names of his Godparents secret? Part of being a royal is a certain amount of openness. I think this is really hard for Harry because he was a royal child in a different era. He and William were on display too much. Charles and Diana invited video cameras into there home on a number of occasions. Harry has mentioned how difficult it was for him to march behind his mother's coffin. He doesn't want his child to suffer, but he's over corrected.

He also saw his mother suffer and he doesn't want his wife to go through the same thing. He is acting in a primal way because he wants to protect those closest to him. I think his motives are admirable but his methods are misguided.

I think Meghan doesn't really get the duty aspect of being part of the royal family. I truly believe she wants to make a difference in the world. She did charitable things before she met Harry. I think she underestimated how hard the transition would be. She's gone through a number of stressful life changes in the last couple of years. Changing careers, moving to a new country, getting married and having a baby all in less than 2 years would be a big adjustment for anyone. Add on crazy amounts of fame, becoming royal and dealing with all the stories about her family, I can imagine she is hugely stressed. She might even have postpartum depression. In retrospect, it might have been better if she had not dived in with both feet, and allowed herself more time to adjust.

To be honest I am not so sure about this. For a short time, maybe, but what can they offer? Though it leaves me stumbled how long Sarah Ferguson managed to make money in the US, but let us hope the Sussex couple will not drop down to her level.
But what can they offer beside their name and hidden information about the RF?
Are Us really dull enough to go after a d-level-ex actress and a british prince?

I just watched the video with Bob Iger and he is definetly uncomfortable in the situation and I was surprised to hear Harry begging for even more not recognizing,
but this has been a long thing what humans do for money, only us, mainly considered poor believe the rich ones would not need to do and get more, but yes, they do!-disgusting, but human!
If this is what Harry is for, the place must stop this.
And some have already stepped back, Obama, Oprah, Beckhams ?, wait and see what the Clooneys will say who stepped in for her..... I am not so sure about Meghan's importance, maybe she has over-estimated the whole thing.

An actress with a main cast role on a hit prime time show is Not. D list actress.

How many news articles do they sell every week??? Harry is the former playboy and now he will be the black sheep prince. Son of Diana. Kim Kardashian built an empire off her backside, don't doubt what American interest can lead to.

Harry and Meghan have no link to the Beckhams. Just because the likes of the Obamas gave not spoken up in the past week doesn't mean they have backed away. Not as shallow as some people on here seem to be.

The reality is businesses hire celebrities every day to promote products and their activities. Harry and Meghan will have no issue.

Meghan was already self made begins she met Harry. Beyond her acting she had her profitable blog, and a clothing line. And Without a royal title she was working for the UN, world vision and other major charity groups.

unlike her husband, Meghan dies have the education, the work experience and the self generated humanitarian background to survive well without a title.

Trump won’t prevent them from living here. He’ll just lie and say he cleared the way for it, even though Harry can obtain citizenship like most spouses of American citizens.

With both Meghan and Archie being US citizens, this is actually where Harry would stand. "Marriage to a U.S. citizen makes you eligible for a green card. Having a green card for a certain number of years can make you eligible for U.S. citizenship."

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-i-married-us-citizen-us-citizenship.html

He also saw his mother suffer and he doesn't want his wife to go through the same thing. He is acting in a primal way because he wants to protect those closest to him. I think his motives are admirable but his methods are misguided.

And he is to be commended for that, that he wants the best for his family, and I have a feeling most people feel the same..

A thought occured to me though: I wonder if P.Charles (or someone else) ever really explained to his sons that the way Diana and him each tried to use "the media" in their divorce was a big mistake and they should never have done that...
To me it seems a bit as if Harry makes the same mistake in his attempt to control the media as Diana and Charles did at the time...

You have to apply for British citizenship if you are a non-citizen marrying a Briton, and the process takes a while - they can't just grant it automatically because of the problem of fake marriages where someone pays someone to marry them so that they can claim citizenship. Someone I know married an American and had to go through this ridiculous rigmarole of providing photos showing them on holiday together whilst they'd been dating, to prove that they were a genuine couple! I assume it's the same in the US - think Andie MacDowell and Gerard Depardieu in Green Card!

Only agree with one point

An actress with a main cast role on a hit prime time show is Not. D list actress.

How many news articles do they sell every week??? Harry is the former playboy and now he will be the black sheep prince. Son of Diana. Kim Kardashian built an empire off her backside, don't doubt what American interest can lead to.

Harry and Meghan have no link to the Beckhams. Just because the likes of the Obamas gave not spoken up in the past week doesn't mean they have backed away. Not as shallow as some people on here seem to be.

The reality is businesses hire celebrities every day to promote products and their activities. Harry and Meghan will have no issue.

I do not think a series which is , I do not know, a prime time event in one country and her playing not the lead role and no other movies made, makes her a a list actress. This is only my point of view considering what it is like in comparable situations and persons. I did not even know Suits before this thing with Prince Harry emerged and did not watch it since. It is known In Canada and ?

I agree that she has at least a degree and some work experience.
Maybe the RF should put more action in the upbringing and school education, degree etc of their children, the former generation of Charles siblings has proofed that most of them are unable to make their living thats mostly why they have to work for the firm. Other monarchies do not have this problem, if you look at the Nl, Benelux ..... in the Uk being a soldier or marrying someone has been the solution for siblings of the heir instead of challenging them to get a University degree and good training.( like any other non-royal parent would do)... beside the maturity which had arisen from this they would have been able to make their living. With W&Ka having at least a degree in arts , one can only hope that their children will not end up like Edward or Andrew? but get and make the best if their privileged schooling....
HM has had hardly any educational background when she started and missed to give her own children a positive upbringing in means of love&emotional hold, her children are somehow victims of this, but hopefully made things better with their own children. Harry was left aside or his mental problems were not seen earlier, which is a pity!, we have the results now.
Again compared to other monarchies the Windsors are not the brightest bunnies unfortunately as most of them had all the chances with being sent to best schools... but not made something if it!
The IMO often underestimated Prince Charles can now show he has qualities to see what is obvious and if not take advice from people knowing better to deal with the situation. Even if HM was still young enough to be the boss, she could not handle it as she hasn't through all her reign, because she simply does not know how, but we will see.

Harry didn't get the grades at school to go to university. He basically 'failed' - a 'D' grade in one subject and a 'B' in the other is hardly the sign of someone who has the brains to go to school. He did have the marks to get into Sandhurst as they do additional tests.

The other five of HM's adult grandchildren all have degrees. William changed from History of Art to Geography while Eugenie did her degree in History of Art and Literature. She has worked at an art gallery since leaving university.

Beatrice has a degree in History and History of Ideas. There are jobs that could use those subjects but she seemed to want to go into business but she didn't study the relevant subjects to go into a degree in that area. So when making her subject selections at school she didn't think about job prospects it seems.

Charles and Edward didn't get into Cambridge on merit so there are questions about their degrees.

Neither Anne nor Andrew had the marks to get into university either.

What would you suggest - insist that the universities take in these royals who don't have the grades required?

I do not see a complete resolution to the current problem after Monday's meeting with the Queen. But I hope they can all agree to a blue print going forward with the finer details to be worked out along the way.

And while Harry is in the UK I hope he can take the time to visit with his Grandfather Prince Philip.

I do not see a complete resolution to the current problem after Monday's meeting with the Queen. But I hope they can all agree to a blue print going forward with the finer details to be worked out along the way.

And while Harry is in the UK I hope he can take the time to visit with his Grandfather Prince Philip.

Prince Phillip would rip his ears off! :lol:

But perhaps a no holes barred talk with grandpa can help resolve things?

Well yes I was thinking similarly to you. But its still the right thing to do if he is game enough.
Philip may be able to talk some sense into him.

Harry didn't get the grades at school to go to university. He basically 'failed' - a 'D' grade in one subject and a 'B' in the other is hardly the sign of someone who has the brains to go to school. He did have the marks to get into Sandhurst as they do additional tests.

The other five of HM's adult grandchildren all have degrees. William changed from History of Art to Geography while Eugenie did her degree in History of Art and Literature. She has worked at an art gallery since leaving university.

Beatrice has a degree in History and History of Ideas. There are jobs that could use those subjects but she seemed to want to go into business but she didn't study the relevant subjects to go into a degree in that area. So when making her subject selections at school she didn't think about job prospects it seems.

Charles and Edward didn't get into Cambridge on merit so there are questions about their degrees.

Neither Anne nor Andrew had the marks to get into university either.

What would you suggest - insist that the universities take in these royals who don't have the grades required?

No! if course not, but why did they fail with all this privileges in gheir background, nobody cared that's the point. As a royal why make efforts? seems to have been the idea behind their upbringing and this is a fault. About Beatrice and Eugenie' careers, well, we have not seen much if this but them partying and vacations somewhere to be honest I doubt they ever really worked by the means anybody else would have to. Zara was sponsored and had enough talent to win something sportive, Peter ?, William has his future and then there is Harry just another Andrew if things go on, being controlled from a weird wife/exwife.....

Hopefully, going forward, the BRF will instill in their children, the importance of education and being able to make their own way in life. This is probably what Edward and Sophie had in mind when they asked that their children not be known as prince/princess.

The shock and uncertainty coupled with the media frenzy and the usual no, or minimal, comment from the BRF is getting out of hand.. It is a newspaper's picnic.

This will calm down.
No titles or names will be lost.
Harry and Meghan will continue to carry out much of their previous work but spend some months in Canada and some days in the US.
If Harry and Meghan do work on behalf of the Queen then they will have expenses met, as is the custom.
Of course, less work = less reimbursement.

No important decisions should be made while either Harry or Meghan feels at crisis point. Mental stability and security of thought and awareness is necessary.
ladongas, above, I agree with your opinion.

Other royals own houses in other countries.
...Prince Andrew, David Armstrong Jones.

To work out a structure under which Harry and Meghan can ethically earn their own money and also a structure under which they can earn money for charities is critical.
There is obviously a way that works for Princess Anne's family and Prince Michael of Kent etc..

It is just as important to also come to an agreement on acceptable media communications. The BRF and Harry and Meghan need to trust each other and make no shock disclosures. (unlike the past few days)

The change could end up being an improvement on the present situation.

This is probably what will happen. And if there is so much lack of trust within the different offices of the BRF, they should ask themselves why. If courtiers leak information (on their own or on behest of a royal) then I can understand why Harry didn't want to put anything down on paper.

Thanks for posting a direct link, I didn’t want to click on the DM.

That is truly outstanding, this has been in the wheelhouse for a long time.

And he is to be commended for that, that he wants the best for his family, and I have a feeling most people feel the same..

A thought occured to me though: I wonder if P.Charles (or someone else) ever really explained to his sons that the way Diana and him each tried to use "the media" in their divorce was a big mistake and they should never have done that...
To me it seems a bit as if Harry makes the same mistake in his attempt to control the media as Diana and Charles did at the time...

That' s obviously the same fault, isn't it?
William has lost his mother, too and suffered from media attention and he was their main focus always as he will be the heir. But he managed to cope with it and protects his family, too.
It is really funny if only it did not turn out a tragedy how everybody thinks Harry the only one who lost,suffered and now protects his family
but others have done before and much better.
Since his relationship with Meghan Harry has choosen to do things differently, instead of learning from others who have more experience and suceeded.
As Harry ain't the brightest bunny and only proofed to can be funny, maybe a somehow good soldier but with not more! this is either a lack if intelligence or most probably a combination if both a lack of intelligence and arrogance or stupidity.
Plus Meghan who does not seem to adapt anything, have no experience in Britain, being royal or being much in the focus if the media though she was a d-list actress before.
What can one expect from this couple? Maybe they see themselves as rebels or just doing things differently but they are nit learning, one desaster after another since they started.
I wonder if nobody gave Meghan the time to adjust slowly or if she did not want to. She has now proofed she just can't manage it.
I think it would be wise to rake them out, because there will always be a next surprise with them.
Monarchy is not about yourself but about serving!
And this is nit all easy but possible!

if they want to walk away, then fine. no titles,

Not a simple matter, AT ALL :

HMQ cant rescind the HRH or their titles, since the first is automatic thanks to the 1917 Letters Patent of George V and the second became legally 'incorporeal hereditaments' when they were granted by Letters Patent under the Great Seal.

The Sussexes would have to become subject to a Bill of Attainder in order to revoke them.

A bill of attainder was last passed in Britain in 1798, against Lord Edward FitzGerald.

Attainders by confession, verdict and process were abolished in the United Kingdom by the Forfeiture Act 1870

Last edited:

honestly, as long as the revenue of this goes to charity, as it seems to be implied it will, i see no issue in a meghan voiceover for disney. now, if it is to be used for them to become 'financially independent' as they get to retain their titles, their house in windsor, their security... then that is a problem. Bob Iger seems stunned/surprised, as in 'is he really asking me this?'.

watching that video is also quite embarrasing as well. harry sounds like a salesman trying to plug her wife for a role. awkward.

The fact that the talks are even taking place (involving the four households, the British government and the Canadian government) and that the Queen, according to the DM (take it with a grain of salt !), instructed that they be wrapped up in 72 hours is evidence that Harry and Meghan's temper tantrum has already worked (at least partially) for them. I find that sad.

I understand Charles' strategic thinking on the matter and the need to keep H&M in the fold, but I hope it is not another case of parents not knowing how to handle their spoiled kids.

i hope you are wrong, but fear you may be right. the queen cannot give in to their whims when it is clear the whole country opposes what they've done. not that they want to 'step back' but the fact that they expect everything else to remain the same. it is clear from the polls that the public don't have an issue with them leaving, but not whilst keeping titles/security/house renovated by the taxpayers. so i hope the queen understands and makes the right decisions here. i trust that charles and william will act as the voice of reason, although they may fear themselves that they need harry to perform as a monarchy. oh, it is now that i wish charles and diana would have had a 3rd child as this would have been less of an issue.

Last edited:

Wow...this is a no-holds barred look at Meghan from a former friend and business advisor. I believe her - I’m sure others won’t, but that’s fine. This rings true to me, from her wanting to “bag a prince” to her not understanding or caring about the Royal sense of duty to not getting the Royals as human beings...

This is terribly sad...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7876707/Meghan-mission-bag-prince-RULE-world.html

Last edited:
P

Tom Bradby has well and truly stuffed himself. What is he doing? William won't touch him now and Harry is out of it. Same with Omid. I have noticed a distinct pulling back from his love in for the Sussexes. Now he probably realises they are not going to be paying the bills anymore. A lot has changed since Wednesday.

There is a programme on ITV this evening (Sunday) at 10.15 all about them. I am interested to see how balanced it is because I have a feeling he will have a hand in it as he works for ITV>

Last edited:
I feel like people overestimate how much money $30-35million actually is, especially when it would be needed to fund the lifestyle Harry has grown up with/is accustomed to, and Meghan has entered after her engagement.

Should they need to pay for their own security, purchase a new home/furniture, pay taxes, etc - $30-35 million wouldn't last more than a decade without the need to have a source of income.

if they were really goig to have a quiet life away from the public gaze, It would be OK but they clearly DONT intend to have such a life.. (which I hink is more Meghan than Harry's desire to make money and be public figures...) so they will need to find some way of making more money or getting more from the Royal family

No! if course not, but why did they fail with all this privileges in gheir background, nobody cared that's the point. ..

I agree in part. Prince Richard, who was originally supposed to work for a living and not be a full-time royal (as his older brother would be the next Duke of Gloucester), studied Architecture at Cambridge (which is supposed to be a hard degree) and then went on to earn a professional Master's degree (also from Cambridge) that would allow him to be a practicing (US spelling) architect.

On the question of military careers, the UK has a proud military tradition and I think it is OK if a junior prince sees the military as a life career option. The current Duke of Kent went all the way to a service rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the Arny, I think, and was in active service for 20 years, which is a typical military career for many people. Prince Andrew also had a 20-year active service career (1981-2001, I think), but never made to Captain (equivalent to colonel in the Army). He retired, I suppose, as a commander, which would be comparable to lieutenant-colonel like the Duke of Kent. Both did, in my opinion, what was expected of them although they didn't have any exceptional career in the service.

The problem with Harry is that, not only did he not have the grades (or marks as you say in the UK or Australia ?) to go to university, but he also left the Army prematurely afer less than 10 years of active service and at a lower-than-expected rank. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake. Objectively he was obviously not needed as a working royal (there are already too many people doing that job in the UK) and it would have been nice to see Meghan living with him for a while as a quiet military wife (assuming they would have met and got married under such scenario, which we don't know).

Last edited:
No! if course not, but why did they fail with all this privileges in gheir background, nobody cared that's the point. As a royal why make efforts? seems to have been the idea behind their upbringing and this is a fault. About Beatrice and Eugenie' careers, well, we have not seen much if this but them partying and vacations somewhere to be honest I doubt they ever really worked by the means anybody else would have to. Zara was sponsored and had enough talent to win something sportive, Peter ?, William has his future and then there is Harry just another Andrew if things go on, being controlled from a weird wife/exwife.....

Phillip, Zara, William, Beatrice and Eugenie all went to University. If you want to who is the 'brightest' Eugenie got the best grades. Beatrice is dyslexic but did well for herself. Both of those girls essentially cannot do whatever career they want and really do posh girls jobs. But what does it matter. They did well for themselves. Peter and Zara both went to University and Zara is actually a trained physiotherapist along with her career. William and Harry were never really as academically bright as their cousins especially Harry. William did alright and went to St Andrews, which he didn't get the grades for but that is unimportant and Harry well didn't do well at school but went into the army. I have known fellow students of theirs and a teacher at Eton and William is always praised as being a really lovel guy you who you can chat too but they were all very quiet on Harry.

All six of the grandchildren had the best education money could get for them. And William could have gone to Oxford or Cambridge if he wanted but he didn't want to go without the grades so decided on St Andrews. Now Kate Middleton was a straight A student who again had an excellent education. She is far more academically capable than her husband.

more Meghan than Harry's desire to make money and be public figures.

Which is why I think this won't be the end of Harry's mental health issues, but the beginning of a FAR more serious phase..

It occurs to me that having your wife fly off, leaving you to deal with a multitude of critical issues ALONE.. [when your head is in an already fragile state] hardly speaks of 'Marital support' ?

Would ANY married person here desert their spouse under such circumstances, when your child is safely ensconced elsewhere with Nanny [and quite possibly Grandma] ?

Last edited:
I feel like people overestimate how much money $30-35million actually is, especially when it would be needed to fund the lifestyle Harry has grown up with/is accustomed to, and Meghan has entered after her engagement.

Should they need to pay for their own security, purchase a new home/furniture, pay taxes, etc - $30-35 million wouldn't last more than a decade without the need to have a source of income.

I am sure many of us could live the quiet private life they claim to want on that kind of money. I am prepared to give it a try.

I agree in part. Prince Richard, who was originally supposed to work for a living and not be a full-time royal (as his older brother would be the next Duke of Gloucester), studied Architecture at Cambridge (which is supposed to be a hard degree) and then went on to earn a professional Master's degree (also from Cambridge) that would allow him to be a practicing (US spelling) architect.

On the question of military careers, the UK has a proud military tradition and I think it is OK if a junior prince sees the military as a life career option. The current Duke of Kent went all the way to a service rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the Arny, I think, and was in active service for 20 years, which is a typical military career for many people. Prince Andrew also had a 20-year active service career (1981-2001, I think), but never made to Captain (equivalent to colonel in the Army). He retired, I suppose, as a commander, which would be comparable to lieutenant-colonel like the Duke of Kent. Both did, in my opinion, what was expected of them although they didn't have any exceptional career in the service.

The problem with Harry is that, not only did he not have the grades (or marks as you say in the UK or Australia ?) to go to the university, but he also left the Army prematurely afer less than 10 years of active service and at a lower-than-expected rank. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake. Objectively he was obviously not needed as a working royal (there are already too many people doing that job in th UK) and it would have been nice to see Meghan living with him as a quiet military wife (assuming they would have met and got married under such scenario, which we don't know).

He was needed. He is needed. The Royal family couldn't operate with 4 working members. As would be the case when the Queens cousins and her other,son and daughter retire and they wait for Charlotte, George and Louis to grow up. I mean William was in his thirties when he started being a full time royal. Will George be afforded the same. When he gets to that age his father will most likely be King.

William knows, there was a documentary on some time ago and William spoke about the media. The part that stuck in my mind was about finding a balance of access for the media but also an element of privacy. He spoke about it being a 2 way thing , but there was a line that shouldn't be crossed by either party because that is when it went wrong. He emphasised the ' either party' So to me it that was an acknowledgment of the past.

O

The problem with Harry is that, not only did he not have the grades (or marks as you say in the UK or Australia ?) to go to the university, but he also left the Army prematurely afer less than 10 years of active service and at a lower-than-expected rank. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake. Objectively he was obviously not needed as a working royal (there are already too many people doing that job in th UK) and it would have been nice to see Meghan living with him as a quiet military wife (assuming they would have met and got married under such scenario, which we don't know).
I think Harry left because he was coming to the point where they wanted to train him for full time royal work. He was always intended, with his future wife to be a working royal.. and with Philip getting older and the other support role royals like the Kents and Charles' siblings also getting older, it was time to bring him in, even if he wasn't strictly needed right then. Now, he ahs taken on full time royal work and he and his wife are saying they can't/wont do it.

He was needed. He is needed. The Royal family couldn't operate with 4 working members. As would be the case when the Queens cousins and her other,son and daughter retire and they wait for Charlotte, George and Louis to grow up. I mean William was in his thirties when he started being a full time royal. Will George be afforded the same. When he gets to that age his father will most likely be King.

My point was that he could easily have stayed another 10-11 years in the military as Prince Andrew and the Duke of Kent did before he would be needed for full-time royal work (we are talking a time horizon here around 2026 only).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom