The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tom Bradby article in the The times is the worst thing I have ever read. Royal family members jealous of a Meghan and Harry, of course not The Queen and Phillip. Basically inferring Kate and William jealous and they were forced out. Maybe even particularly Kate. Inferring that the royals leaked it themselves basically. Trust me they wouldn't and have never done such a think ever before. They spike stories sure but never this and then trying to sound balanced by admitting some royals find them difficult. Awful article. To be fair. I am willing to admit, and even suspect, that some courtiers would want to see the back of a Meghan and Harry.

Also on the topic of some royals finding them difficult. I bet they do. You just have to notice how Harry hasn't been seen with any of his cousins, apart from borrowing Eugenie's house. Although public understanding is that Harry has always been very close to Eugenie and maybe William is closer to the Phillips cousins. Who he is seen with a bit. Also I am betting people were jealous a bit. It is a natural enough emotion. Doesn't mean they were a lady macbeth about it or were anything but civil.

Last edited:
For Catherine's birthday? I think they commented on KP post with their wishes.

I think it’s more notable that they decided to go public with their decision and their wishes/demands list right at Kate’s birthday without talking to any of the involved parties first and working together. They got blindsided instead.

I’d like to think there was at least an apology for the obvious damper they would have put on her birthday, but I guess that depends on just how poor relations are between them all now.

And this decision impacts no one in the short and long term more than William and Kate. Harry and Meghan were supposed to be their primary support. That is gone.

I’ve said it before- if they want a different role and are just miserable, best to move on for all involved. It’s not good for anyone. But my primary sympathy is with everyone else dealing with the fallout- from family to staff.

And Meghan pointedly leaving the U.K. after the announcement, not facing any of her family/bosses in person for the meeting about her and Harry’s future doesn’t leave a good impression at all.

The Tom Bradby article in the The times is the worst thing I have ever read. Royal family members jealous of a Meghan and Harry, of course not The Queen and Phillip. Basically inferring Kate and William jealous and they were forced out. Maybe even particularly Kate. Inferring that the royals leaked it themselves basically. Trust me they wouldn't and have never done such a think ever before. They spike stories sure but never this and then trying to sound balanced by admitting some royals find them difficult. Awful article. To be fair. I am willing to admit, and even suspect, that some courtiers would want to see the back of a Meghan and Harry.

Absurd. No one in the family wanted this public until the details were locked down.

And- there’s no way William and Kate really wanted them out. They just lost their primary support going forward. I think a more likely scenario is Harry and Meghan wanted to do things that aren’t the BRF way- and were told just that. It fits with their wishes/demands website.

I can well imagine some royals- and staff- find the Sussexes difficult. Their behavior from the interview to the handling of this decision alone makes that easy to envision. Forget what’s been going on behind closed doors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also on the topic of some royals finding them difficult. I bet they do. You just have to notice how Harry hasn't been seen with any of his cousins, apart from borrowing Eugenie's houe. Although public understanding is that Harry has always been very close to Eugenie and maybe William is c.over to the Phillips cousins. Who he is seen with a bit. Also I am betting people were jealous a bit. It is a natural enough emotion. Doesn't mean they were a lady macbeth about it or were anything but civil.

Even if a royal didn't leak it, a courtier could have. I mean that happens all the time in institutions and there BRF has a history of that sort of thing happening.

Its just messy all around. There is clearly a big lack of trust between all the royal houses in the BRF and each other and all the staffs. Not sustainable in the long term at all.

Absurd. No one in the family wanted this public until the details were locked down.

And- there’s no way William and Kate really wanted them out. They just lost their primary support going forward. I think a more likely scenario is Harry and Meghan wanted to do things that aren’t the BRF way- and were told just that. It fits with their wishes/demands website.

I can well imagine some royals- and staff- find the Sussexes difficult. Their behavior from the interview to the handling of this decision alone makes that easy to envision. Forget what’s been going on behind closed doors.

Ego and such don't always common sense make. I am not saying William and Kate wanted them out but we also have no idea what went down or if cool heads have led in the recent past. Again, royal brother fighting and back cutting is basically the norm looking at history.

People will believe the worst of whichever royal they dislike or doubt and the best of the ones they do like. IMO the truth is probs more in the middle.

Even if a royal didn't leak it, a courtier could have. I mean that happens all the time in institutions and there BRF has a history of that sort of thing happening.

Why? It was utterly stupid. And they don't do that really. What they do do is trade stories and their staff sometimes offer up one story on someone to spike a story on someone else.

oh boy. there is a thread about the Sussexes on another site. I stated my opinion that I wasn't surprised at their actions. disappointed, yes. I immediately thought of the Duke of Windsor...hardly the same thing, but the thought was there. and I can't imagine that thought hasn't occurred to Her Majesty. and the abdication was a big deal to the Royals. granted neither Harry or Meghan are poor. but living in a certain "style", takes money. Harry has never wanted for anything. this would be a big adjustment. and I can't see the Queen letting them trade on their titles. if they want to walk away, then fine. no titles, no money from the firm.

It's dreadfully embarrassing to watch, the Disney CEO seems really uncomfortable too.

I think it was clearly in jest and I didn't read any discomfort.

Also, I thought that by this point the deal had already been signed so...Disney was already giving money to their wild life charity... that was the whole point in them attending the premiere and Meghan had already agreed to the voice over work too.

Or the intern in the office did. I mean really. They don't use it. Their staff do.

Oh yes of course. I dont think any of the royals do more than sign off, if that, on their social. And likely its mostly their comms director signing off. :flowers:

Ego and such don't always common sense make. I am not saying William and Kate wanted them out but we also have no idea what went down or if cool heads have led in the recent past. Again, royal brother fighting and back cutting is basically the norm looking at history.

Again, people will believe the worst of whichever royal they dislike or doubt and the best of the ones they do like. IMO the truth is probs more in the middle.

Agreed. We don’t know what’s gone down. I’m sure it’s complicated. It’s family and the family business intermingled. And William is the future head of it.

I admire a lot of what Meghan and Harry have done. They’ve done some truly wonderful things with their endeavors. I thought they got a lot of undeserved criticism right and left.

But- I don’t have a high opinion of how they’ve handled things publicly starting with the interview. That really has me seeing them differently.

oh boy. there is a thread about the Sussexes on another site. I stated my opinion that I wasn't surprised at their actions. disappointed, yes. I immediately thought of the Duke of Windsor...hardly the same thing, but the thought was there. and I can't imagine that thought hasn't occurred to Her Majesty. and the abdication was a big deal to the Royals. granted neither Harry or Meghan are poor. but living in a certain "style", takes money. Harry has never wanted for anything. this would be a big adjustment. and I can't see the Queen letting them trade on their titles. if they want to walk away, then fine. no titles, no money from the firm.

You are not that far off though, yes the Duke of Windsor was king, but he also wanted a foot in both camps.

Huh? What he going to pull her citizenship. This is getting silly.

He has no power to do so.

This is Trump just using any opportunity to distract from his own problems.

If I were the Queen (there's a fun game) I'd be suggesting:

-they will continue to have funding for UK life and UK office (which I imagine will be much reduced)
-when in UK and doing public duties they will be able to use HRH Duke/Duchess of Sussex
-they will have usual royal police protection in UK
-probably wouldn't undertake overseas visits but will support patronages in the UK
-meet cost of 6 return flights from wherever they settle to UK each year (Trooping, Christmas, Easter and handful of others)

-Charles to provide six figure amount as personal living allowance (but much less than what they get now and not listed under official expenditure but from Charles own private spending)
-Harry and Meghan to use personal funds to pay for a North America home
-for anything other than approved events (requiring approval from BP) they will use either Mr & Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor or Mr & Mrs Sussex (their choice of which) only
-NDA preventing them talking about RF and its workings
-Couple meet North America security costs privately

I like your ideas, but I'm afraid they're going to get much more than that. From today's papers, it seems like Charles is very anxious to placate them.

The Cambridge jealousy angle is not new.

Half hour ago on CNN, Victoria Arbiter stated the leak from the Sun triggered the Sussex announcement and the queen and Charles were well aware of the Sussexes' plans. She also said racism, covert and overt, was part of the media coverage. The one shoulder dress comparison between Meghan and Kate was used. VA is going to get grief for this.

I think all proxys from both sides need to shut their pie holes at this stage.

Harry has net worth of 25 million and Meghan 5 million. I actually read not to long ago his net worth was 53 million. So, I don't understand them wanting to be financially independent. With 30 million dollars plus between them, they are not hurting for money. They are already financially independent. Harry's assets are inherited and cannot be taken away.

In Canada, they won't have to rush out and find jobs. Not with 30 million dollars plus between them.

So Tom Bradby is saying that if Harry and Meghan are not kept within the fold, they could do a no-holds-barred interview that could damage the monarchy further? I think Harry and Meghan should tell their friend to stop talking because this kind of statement doesn’t help the situation at all.

It's dreadfully embarrassing to watch, the Disney CEO seems really uncomfortable too.

Yeah, that was really embarrassing to watch.

Last edited:
Harry has net worth of 25 million and Meghan 5 million. I actually read not to long ago his net worth was 53 million. So, I don't understand them wanting to be financially independent. With 30 million dollars plus between them, they are not hurting for money. They are already financially independent. Harry's assets are inherited and cannot be taken away.

In Canada, they won't have to rush out and find jobs. Not with 30 million dollars plus between them.

I feel like people overestimate how much money $30-35million actually is, especially when it would be needed to fund the lifestyle Harry has grown up with/is accustomed to, and Meghan has entered after her engagement.

Should they need to pay for their own security, purchase a new home/furniture, pay taxes, etc - $30-35 million wouldn't last more than a decade without the need to have a source of income.

Agreed. We don’t know what’s gone down. I’m sure it’s complicated. It’s family and the family business intermingled. And William is the future head of it.

I admire a lot of what Meghan and Harry have done. They’ve done some truly wonderful things with their endeavors. I thought they got a lot of undeserved criticism right and left.

But- I don’t have a high opinion of how they’ve handled things publicly starting with the interview. That really has me seeing them differently.

I agree with you—on all points.

I started being uncomfortable with things around the time of Archie’s birth although things were a bit off before that, and nothing was quite right again, but I tried to ignore it. Then that African tour and the interview were just off-putting.

Wow the video of Harry at the Lion King premiere is sooo bad. He is clearly trying to use what I presume was an official royal event to get work for Meghan. I know the money from her voiceover went to charity but the scene of Harry networking for a "private job" at an official event won't help them now I don't think.

I'm not the biggest fan of the DM but the video is here on their site https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-tout-Meghan-Markle-Disney-voiceover-job.html
If anyone finds it anywhere else I'll happily change the link to another

Bob Iger seemed stunned - and no wonder. Using a Royal event to get Meghan work? So that means their donation to the charity was a way to make this less tawdry? It didn’t work. Is Harry’s main job to tout for his wife?

I think it’s more notable that they decided to go public with their decision and their wishes/demands list right at Kate’s birthday without talking to any of the involved parties first and working together. They got blindsided instead.

I’d like to think there was at least an apology for the obvious damper they would have put on her birthday, but I guess that depends on just how poor relations are between them all now.

And this decision impacts no one in the short and long term more than William and Kate. Harry and Meghan were supposed to be their primary support. That is gone.

I’ve said it before- if they want a different role and are just miserable, best to move on for all involved. It’s not good for anyone. But my primary sympathy is with everyone else dealing with the fallout- from family to staff.

And Meghan pointedly leaving the U.K. after the announcement, not facing any of her family/bosses in person for the meeting about her and Harry’s future doesn’t leave a good impression at all.

We really should not be offering in opinion about Meghan leaving the U.K. and why after the announcement. First of all, they have a baby. Secondly, her husband might have asked her to take off right after and let him handle this. Also, they are meeting on Monday to discuss this and Meghan is supposed to conference in. It is assumptions like this is probably the reason Harry is doing this. He is protecting his family.

I feel like people overestimate how much money $30-35million actually is, especially when it would be needed to fund the lifestyle Harry has grown up with/is accustomed to, and Meghan has entered after her engagement.

Should they need to pay for their own security, purchase a new home/furniture, pay taxes, etc - $30-35 million wouldn't last more than a decade without the need to have a source of income.

Plus, I doubt Harry’s money is all liquid, it will be invested. If he starts spending principal and investments his income will rapidly decrease.

This is an incredible sum of money, sure. But in reality, it's not even that much - between security cost (around 1 million per year), buying a new house, taxes, probably even paying rent on Frogmore Cottage and day to day life it's not the kind of money that will be able to support their lifestyle. Not to mention they'd probably like to leave Archie and his potential sibling with some kind of money. Roughly estimating, Prince Charles may be giving them around 2.5 million pounds per year (5.1 million in 2019 divided between Cambridges and Sussexes) for their expenses. It's possible that they already started using their own money to fund their North America team, the website and everything else connected to it.

To be able to live like them you'd need a lot more than 30 or even 40 million.

The Cambridge jealousy angle is not new.

Half hour ago on CNN, Victoria Arbiter stated the leak from the Sun triggered the Sussex announcement and the queen and Charles were well aware of the Sussexes' plans. She also said racism, covert and overt, was part of the media coverage. The one shoulder dress comparison between Meghan and Kate was used. VA is going to get grief for this.

I think all proxys from both sides need to shut the pie holes at this stage.

The quicker this is sorted the better, all these alleged 'sources ' need to keep quiet.
The leak if it was a leak could have came from any of them, even the Sussexs themselves. It was all very convenient that the website was ready to go, they came back from Canada but left Archie. So they knew that at least one of them would be going back.
All very strange.

According to People mag, in November Meghan visited at Frogmore with an extremely high profile US politician who also happens to have a foundation that bears her surname. At the time I wrote this off as Meghan naturally wanting to rub shoulders with high-profile people.

If, and its a BIG if, she took advice from this particular person, heaven help her. If you don't know who it is, just take a wild guess and look it up.

I cant find an online reference on anything from the Obamas---can you give us a news source. Thanks

Here’s a news source about the foundation of an extremely high profile US politician:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...83932e-32f9-11ea-a053-dc6d944ba776_story.html

They will make millions more on top of what they already have. What I mean, is that there is not an immediate need. And I highly doubt Price Charles and the Queen will cut them off totally. I bet they will pay for the security themselves. They are still family. We need to remember that. And the Queen loves Harry and Archie.

They will make millions more on top of what they already have. What I mean, is that there is not an immediate need. And I highly doubt Price Charles and the Queen will cut them off totally. I bet they will pay for the security themselves. They are still family. We need to remember that. And the Queen loves Harry and Archie.

She’s also the Queen and has been for almost 70 years. It it comes down to the Monarchy or her grandson-the grandson will be on the losing side.

Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Wow the video of Harry at the Lion King premiere is sooo bad. He is clearly trying to use what I presume was an official royal event to get work for Meghan. I know the money from her voiceover went to charity but the scene of Harry networking for a "private job" at an official event won't help them now I don't think.

I'm not the biggest fan of the DM but the video is here on their site https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eover-job.html
If anyone finds it anywhere else I'll happily change the link to another

Bob Iger seemed stunned - and no wonder. Using a Royal event to get Meghan work? So that means their donation to the charity was a way to make this less tawdry? It didn’t work. Is Harry’s main job to tout for his wife?

Oh my.....it's not good at all.

It's embarrassing to watch.

I never heard of Jessica Mulroney until Meghan got engaged even though I live in the same city. Her husband Ben is the son of a former Prime Minster and is/was was a very minor media personality.

I don't think there will be much of a backlash because most people here don't pay any attention to her.

Yep...I live in the same area as well and had never heard of Jessica Mulroney until Meghan came on the scene. I had seen Ben Mulroney on some entertainment show.

Canada does not have big-name celebrities like the U.S. does, so in a way it surprises me that Meghan has chosen Canada as the place to base herself and Harry. On one hand, here they would be "big fish in a small pond." On the other hand, all the money, celebrity and business connections, and big media outlets are in the United States.

Last edited:
Polling from the Sun now
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/dk-comp-page9graphicsheet.jpg

46% say they will probably not be able to be financially independent
62% vs 27% feel sympathy for Queen over decision
57% do not feel sympathy towards Harry and Meghan vs 33% that do
81% do not think they should receive any financial support from public money once they step back
48% think the decision is mainly down to Meghan, 33% both equally, 2% Harry
67% think they should not receive income from Duchy of Cornwall once they step back from royal duties vs 14% who think they should
46% say they shouldn't keep titles vs 34% who say they should
56% say they should not be able to still live at Frogmore Cottage, 28% say they should
46% support their decision to step back vs 27% who oppose and 27% don't know
66% say government should not continue to meet security costs, 19% say they should
46% say a slimmed down monarchy is a good thing, 11% say its a bad thing, 28% say its neither and 16% don't know

These results show as has been stated time and time again its the money side the public don't support, the rest, the idea of stepping back and even moving away, they support.

I agree with you—on all points.

I started being uncomfortable with things around the time of Archie’s birth although things were a bit off before that, and nothing was quite right again, but I tried to ignore it. Then that African tour and the interview were just off-putting.

I totally agree with both of you. The way they handled Archie's birth, the tour, and now this … just very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom