The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An article about Princess Margaret in the DM today. Margaret, Andrew, now Harry - issues with the second in line. Something for the family to keep in mind when Charlotte gets older.

Oprah and the Obamas were being accused of influencing them to walk away from the BRF. Of course they would comment on such a story. Today's paper now saying Elton.

That is hardly distancing when in fact Oprah says "I care about them a lot." These are high profile people and these clickbait nonsense articles are coming in fast despite no truth being held.

Next we will hear about the Clooneys. Everyone connected getting tagged.

^ Actions do indeed have consequences, and i'm certain HMQ believes so too..Naturally she will seek to be as emollient as possible [within her 'Red Lines'], which will have been set by a combination of herself,the PoW, the Govt, and crucially [I think] of the DoC, who may prove [in this instance] to be 'hardline'..

Last edited:
https://etcanada.com/news/572494/mi...ven-advice-to-the-duke-and-duchess-of-sussex/

The Obama's have btw let it be known they did not advise Meghan and Harry

I cant find an online reference on anything from the Obamas---can you give us a news source. Thanks

That is really interesting but not unexpected although it is playing out much quicker than I had thought. They have underestimated the universal respect for the Queen and overestimated their importance.

The Obama's in particular know the meaning of 'Duty'. H & M do not and selfishness is rarely rewarded in the long run.

As I mentioned earlier, the Obamas have released no statement at all. It’s sources talking to sources, nothing official.

If I were the Queen (there's a fun game) I'd be suggesting:

-they will continue to have funding for UK life and UK office (which I imagine will be much reduced)
-when in UK and doing public duties they will be able to use HRH Duke/Duchess of Sussex
-they will have usual royal police protection in UK
-probably wouldn't undertake overseas visits but will support patronages in the UK
-meet cost of 6 return flights from wherever they settle to UK each year (Trooping, Christmas, Easter and handful of others)

-Charles to provide six figure amount as personal living allowance (but much less than what they get now and not listed under official expenditure but from Charles own private spending)
-Harry and Meghan to use personal funds to pay for a North America home
-for anything other than approved events (requiring approval from BP) they will use either Mr & Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor or Mr & Mrs Sussex (their choice of which) only
-NDA preventing them talking about RF and its workings
-Couple meet North America security costs privately

Sounds quite reasonable and would provide the best protection for the BRF. Not something Meghan and Harry would agree to though.

If that's a quote, then wow! Double wow!!:eek:

Oh, that’s heartbreaking. There’s something special about sibling relationship, especially this one. I have to believe they will repair their relationship in time...maybe with their father’s help.

In the meantime, I hope that William will grow closer to his father; they are both sharing this pain...

apparently, conversations over H&M are 'progressing well':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51074844

oh, to be a fly on the wall in those conversations...! wouldn't it be interesting to hear everyone's point of view?

I would love to know Prince Philip's point of view.

Its being reported [in the New York Times] that the Prince of Wales has asked the Duke of Sussex to repay the cost of renovation Frogmore Cottage..

IF true, it rather sounds like they won't be living here at all...

I hope it is true, but I would take the NYT with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's a quote, then wow! Double wow!!:eek:

Did the duke of Cambridge say these things to the press? Or are 'sources inside the palace' claiming that he said these things?.

On a side note I wonder how Tom Bradby will be able to be seen as an impartial journalist anymore when he is in the Sunday Times with the following:

Writing for this newspaper, Tom Bradby, who did the recent ITV interview in which Harry and Meghan confessed their sense of isolation, warned failure to keep the pair on side could lead the Duke & Duchess of Sussex to do a 'no-holds barred' interview that could damage the monarchy further.
He writes 'I have some idea of what might be aired in a full, no-holds barred sit down interview and I don't think it would be pretty.'

Is it the job of journalists to deliver messages (or threats in effect) from their friends to estranged family?

On a side note I wonder how Tom Bradby will be able to be seen as an impartial journalist anymore when he is in the Sunday Times with the following:

He’s not been impartial for a long time...

Did the duke of Cambridge say these things to the press? Or are 'sources inside the palace' claiming that he said these things?.

William hasn’t said a thing.

If its true that the Duchess has ALREADY signed up to assorted 'deals' in futherance of the couples 'brand', it may be impossible to reconcile whatever is decided by the rest of the Family, with what has already been signed up to whilst the Sussexes were on their [misnamed] 'break' ?

Writing for this newspaper, Tom Bradby, who did the recent ITV interview in which Harry and Meghan confessed their sense of isolation, warned failure to keep the pair on side could lead the Duke & Duchess of Sussex to do a 'no-holds barred' interview that could damage the monarchy further.
He writes 'I have some idea of what might be aired in a full, no-holds barred sit down interview and I don't think it would be pretty.'

Is it the job of journalists to deliver messages (or threats in effect) from their friends to estranged family?

Here were are, blackmailing, nothing more nothing less.
Sickening

Prince Philip's comments probably aren't fit to repeat! I'd be quite interested to hear Earl Spencer's opinion, as well. But the last thing that a 98-year-old man in increasingly fragile health needs is a rift in the family. I would think he's already very hurt that Harry and Meghan wouldn't even spare a few days over Christmas to spend with him and the rest of the family. And, if that quote from William is genuine, that's heartbreaking - although I'm not convinced that he'd say that publicly. The whole idea of a "summit meeting" between a grandmother, a father and two grandsons is very upsetting. And the idea of Meghan joining in by phone or Skype or whatever is just ridiculous. Running away and leaving Harry to face the music by himself is not impressive.

Question to those of you involved in the discussion about Canadian visas. - Do you have to apply or be approved in person? Is that why they were visiting Canada House, or was it just to establish in peoples mind that they were back.

So many "sources" are filling these papers all of a sudden. Funny that.

I have many words for him which I can not post here - or even say in polite company. If he’s speaking on behalf of Harry and Meghan, then that’s despicable ..Harry trying to blackmail his family?!

An article about Princess Margaret in the DM today. Margaret, Andrew, now Harry - issues with the second in line. Something for the family to keep in mind when Charlotte gets older.

They should let those kids spend more time with continental European royals their age...must be good to be exposed to other children going through the exact same thing. I’m sure the Scandinavian and Benelux royals have a royal summer camp of sorts already. The Cambridge kids should join :D

Question to those of you involved in the discussion about Canadian visas. - Do you have to apply or be approved in person? Is that why they were visiting Canada House, or was it just to establish in peoples mind that they were back.

There’s been a lengthy discussion is regards to the fact Meghan and Henry cannot get visas for Canada.

William hasn’t said a thing.
I agree - I think it's another "source" talking. I'd be shocked to the moon and back if William really did say that to someone working for a tabloid.

Updated.

Daily Mail about the article in Sunday Times, with William: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...reveals-sadness-broken-bond-Prince-Harry.html

He said: 'I've put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can't do that any more - we're separate entities,' according to the Sunday Times.

William also spoke of his frustration that Harry is no longer part of the 'team' by deciding to become 'financially independent' in a pared-back Royal role.

Yet he hopes that there will 'come a time' when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be 'singing from the same page' once again.
ADDED: This is what friend claims, according to Sunday Times.

Last edited:
Updated.

ADDED: This is what a friend of William told Sunday Times.

Sorry Muhler, that’s not accurate either. There’s nothing in either article that confirms it’s a friend of Williams who has directly spoken to the press. The articles all say “it was claimed by a friend”.

Updated.

Daily Mail about the article in Sunday Times, with William: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...reveals-sadness-broken-bond-Prince-Harry.html

He said: 'I've put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can't do that any more - we're separate entities,' according to the Sunday Times.

William also spoke of his frustration that Harry is no longer part of the 'team' by deciding to become 'financially independent' in a pared-back Royal role.

Yet he hopes that there will 'come a time' when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be 'singing from the same page' once again.
ADDED: This is what a friend of William told Sunday Times.pk

-----------

I'm genuinely surprised William would even talk to the press about this. I hope someone will give us a summary from Sunday Times ASAP. So we know what William did say.
Right now, this is second reports from the Sunday Times article.

As friend said. The article will not be released online until midnight.

I had a look today at some of the articles about Harry and Meghan in the British press, and they seem to have jumped the shark completely. There is such malicious glee that I understand the frustration of the Sussexes completely. They may have made a mistake but come on everybody, they're not evil incarnate. The press is stirring this pot because they know people care.

Harry was one of the most beloved members of the British royal family since his birth. He did a lot of good and people had the feeling they "knew" him. I can't forget how he amused one of the bridesmaids with a little toy at William's wedding. So now the downfall is especially cruel. And my impression is that the press enjoys it.

Meghan doesn't have the credit with the public that Harry has/had but in her short time since their marriage, she has done some impressive things - I loved the idea of the Grenfell cookbook for example. If Kate went into the cold water of royal duties a bit slow, Meghan jumped inside. And like all the married-ins, they had to bear the scrutiny and over the top criticism. Gasp! she closed a car door!

So after thinking and reading a bit more, I have come to the conclusion that it's in everybody's interest to give them some space and respect, even if they didn't give it to his grandmother. Who knows what went on inside their minds.

I hope this is what Harry really wants. A super-celeb-influencer role sounds like Meghan's dream, but I would have thought living quietly in Africa or on a country seat, continuing his involvement with Invictus and Sentebale, would be more in Harry's style. I think they'll both work for charity. How concrete and realistic their plans are will become obvious over the next months.

If they both find happiness, I'll be glad. And I hope they find the right words and gestures to reconcile with the family, especially his grandparents who are getting on in years.

The viciousness of the press coverage had a softening effect on me. Some of the journalists gloated too much for my taste and now I understand what's Meghan up against.

Let's hope all this uproar doesn't affect little Archie. Young children are very sensitive to the feelings and moods of their parents.

Wow....I thought William was speaking metaphorically about being unable to put his arm around Harry, but the distance between them is so great that he meant it literally. That’s heartbreaking. There is still deep love between them, so there is always a chance that they will reconcile...though I’m not sure Meghan will allow that...

The article is certainly thorough.

Nope, the article is [...]because it claims William said things he actually didn’t. The title implies William, when you read the article a friend told the paper. Doesn’t actually say who the friend is, it could be a friend of the article writers for we know. It’s not actually journalism, [...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom