The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mr Trudeau would be delighted to welcome a 'like minded' couple into Canada, and may 'move heaven and Earth to do so..

Betsypaige, that is sad, yes.

I think that for Meghan a breakdown of family relationships could feel more like what she's used to. Meghan has perhaps developed a fierce independence. She knows she will survive and thrive even without family.

I have high hopes that the strength of the Queen's communication teams will work out a viable solution. However, how to change the mindset of not missing or needing close family can't be decided in meetings around the table. If Meghan and Harry wish more independence then they will have it. Archie will have it too and he could be destined to feel an outsider in his own family through no fault of his own.

If Harry and Meghan do decide to reside in Canada on a more permanent basis the only way Harry could stay legally would be if he got some kind of diplomatic status from the British embassy because he would never qualify to immigrate here.

What? Harry is a trained soldier and helicopter pilot! He is the guarantee that little Canada, where polar fox and polar hare wish each other a good night, would stay in the limelights. He is a multi-millionaire, who can take care of himself.

So, c'mon!

This is all so sad IMO. We can't forget that at the hear of this is a family that is in effect splitting up. I'm sure this is so painful to HM, Philip and Charles - to see someone they love so hurt and rejecting everything they have worked so hard for and hold dear.

As ever there are those on either side who either see no fault at all in that the Sussex's do and those who only ever see fault. Those aside, more interestingly are the majority of people who are in the middle- who are prepared to give them a chance but who don't give them a free pass when they mess up. The reality is (IMO of course) that no one really knows what they want, they say they find their roles in the UK unbearable and untenable but just when you think they would say they want to live quiet lives away from the public and media they actually say they want to go to North America and in effect do what they are doing now. That doesn't seem to be solving anything other than giving them the freedom to use their royal role/title to do as and what they please including making money from it. I honestly 100% believe apart from those who will never see good in them, would happily have accepted that given how unhappy they are they should be allowed to go into private life, possibly eve taking on jobs (Harry maybe with an NGO or furthering his work with Invictus, Meghan could even go back to acting and just hold off on too many personal/family based interviews) and people would pretty much be okay with that.

As ever with the Sussex's the problems lie not necessarily even with their intentions (though at the moment they leave plenty of unanswered questions) but with the way it is all handled:

Why return home just to announce it? The Canada House engagement was apparently set up last minute so seems like it was almost solely to ensure plenty of attention on them before announcing, why come home to announce when really there is no need?

Why announce it after being told not to by HM? Yes the Sun may have leaked a version of their plan but they can't hate the media attention that much they would throw the monarchy and Harry's family under the bus just to stop the Sun from looking right surely.

Why put up your own website stating things that have not been agreed by the Household and HM? Honestly the only reason I can see for doing this is to make it harder for anyone not to give you what you've stated because doing so would be clearly evident.

If the media are too much and your tired of it (which most of us can understand) why make an announcement you know will create even more fuss and attention which says you will still continue to do so much that will inevitably create even more media attention.

If you want to still carry out duties for HM how can you honestly expect to be allowed to make money for yourselves using your titles and fame and on top of that do these public duties without using the well established Royal Rota media protocol that allows access to these public engagements by main stream media. How can you expect to handpick the media outlets that cover you. To be honest the issues with the media have not from what I can see been with the coverage of your public visits and duties. How will any of this stop the DM or other media they dislike or distrust from writing about them anyway?

If they wanted to retire from public life everyone would accept that, its that they want to effectively still be working royals as long as they can do the work they want,where they want, to the media they want, with the funding they want, seemingly returning when they want to do what they want.

I don't really understand why they need such a dramatic announcement, why say anything at all right now? They could have stayed in Canada longer, Harry could have returned to the UK for his engagement next week, then returned to Canada saying they were still enjoying some time away from it all to cherish with Archie. There was plenty of time to work out a solution surely? Unless there is a pressing reason why they want this settled so soon, I don't see what would change which meant they couldn't wait a few more weeks for an agreement with the Queen and Charles? What does announcing this now achieve? They could have used the time to discreetly put things in place so that when it was announced they had a more permanent overseas home set up or at least lined up.

There is no point keeping people doing something they are unhappy with so ultimately of course they should do what makes (or is likely to make) them happier but I'm not sure how they can just simply expect Charles to keep paying them as before and to in time start making their own money possibly from their positions.

It's sad but for the sake of a fresh start and happiness for all I really thing in some ways they need to treat this in some ways as a divorce, make a clear finance structure which allows everyone to know where they stand. A lump sum to buy a house in Canada (or maybe Charles even just buys it for them) to show he is supportive, hopefully somewhere with enough space to accommodate a small security team to prevent the public paying for renovations to house them and a smaller than now personal allowance (likely still 6 figures)

It really does seem to me that Meghan and Harry are in a poor place mentally where they see betrayal and deceit around every corner. Hopefully some time out will help them regroup and feel stronger again.

Last edited:
but who is going to pay for them to keep security while they are in Canada? That is pretty expensive. What about their house in England..

Could owning property in Canada make living there easier - does a propery owner's visa exist?
Maybe Harry has purchased a house in Canada.

Actually, I just looked up Canadian visas. It seems Harry could buy a farm and be self employed. There are also other types of ínvestent/business type visas. The thing is he would have to show that he were self employed and, in other cases, creating a Canadian job...

Last edited:
I’m confused.

They’ve clearly found a house either on Vancouver Island or near, the dogs are there and it’s a place they felt safe enough to leave Archie while they were in the UK.

The Daily Mail reported they’d be back on the 20th, now they’ve reporting in tomorrows paper they’re gone for the next three months.

It’s utterly ridiculous, who is paying for their security whilst they’re in Canada where they now apparently live without representing the crown?

Paper exclusives saying the Queen and Charles will financially support Harry and Meghan.

Oh and now the Obamas, not Oprah, are their advisors.

As usual media just grasping for a story.

Oh my giddy aunt, all the papers tomorrow are #megxit. ALL of them.

Many pages deep.

Deep sigh.

Last edited:
I’m confused.

They’ve clearly found a house either on Vancouver Island or near, the dogs are there and it’s a place they felt safe enough to leave Archie while they were in the UK.

The Daily Mail reported they’d be back on the 20th, now they’ve reporting in tomorrows paper they’re gone for the next three months.

It’s utterly ridiculous, who is paying for their security whilst they’re in Canada where they now apparently live without representing the crown?

Who pays for the safety of Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie?

I’m confused.

Well, it's clear to me, they have already relocated to Canada.
It's a fact, we might just as well accept it. - The Canadian reaction will be interesting though!

As for the security bill: Canada will foot most of the bill, at least until the status and role of the Sussexes has been resolved. Until then H&M are still high ranking members of the BRF and, we must assume, welcome visitors to Canada... As such it's the duty of Canada to protect them, as they would with other foreign high ranking guests. Or for that matter any other visitor who they feel is in need of extra protection.
And the royal protection officers will remain in place - again at least until this situation has been resolved.

H&M may be dancing around with their feet in their mouths, but for the time being they are still who they are: Senior royals.

Last edited:
I am saddened that the distance between Prince William and Prince Harry is widening. And that only happened from the moment Meghan entered Harry's life.
p.

I think the distance happened when Prince William married Kate, rightly so she (and the Middletons) became his family. Harry tagged along not rocking the boat and was quite lonely.

I'm not sure that is totally true--

"The administration of the duchy is regulated by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall (Accounts) Act 1838, which requires Treasury's supervision and for the accounts to be presented to both Houses of Parliament."

This seems to imply some government oversight.

This is true. The Duchy of Cornwall is its own entity in and of itself as a private estate. One of two royal duchies in existence with the other being the Duchy of Lancaster that provides the Queen's personal income.

The income that is provided to Charles is his own private monies and can be spent however Charles deems fit. For example, Charles did not purchase Highgrove. The Duchy of Cornwall did and that, along with the income will pass to the next Duke of Cornwall. As the Duke of Cornwall, Charles is entitled to the private estate's annual revenue surplus and is his personal income. So, in short, there's Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall along with the Duchy of Cornwall's separate financial holdings of which the duchy itself is accountable for. This is a link that explains it further.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/annual-review/2018-2019/income-expenditure-and-staff

Not to derail the thread but this is to show that Charles can continue to support that 95% of the Sussex expenses should he so choose. ?

Peter and Zara have never had security. Beatrice and Eugenie lost their RPOs in 2011, any security from that point has come from Andrews own pocket.

I think the distance happened when Prince William married Kate, rightly so she (and the Middletons) became his family. Harry tagged along not rocking the boat and was quite lonely.

Completely disagree. You only have to look at interviews they all did, and the engagements to see that isn’t the case.

Henry said, but a couple of years ago, how excited he was to live next to his siblings.

Last edited:

I think you hit a nail there.

Uncle Harry was a welcome guest. Merry and nice and good with the children. But uncle always have to leave at some point - going home - alone...
Yes, I agree, he would have felt lonely. And dearly missing a family of his own.

It looked that he was very much apart of their family. He was very close to George in particular before and Kate before he met Meghan. But you know he still went home at the end of the day and more and more of his long term friends were moving abroad too.

Betsypaige, that is sad, yes.

I think that for Meghan a breakdown of family relationships could feel more like what she's used to. Meghan has perhaps developed a fierce independence. She knows she will survive and thrive even without family.

I have high hopes that the strength of the Queen's communication teams will work out a viable solution. However, how to change the mindset of not missing or needing close family can't be decided in meetings around the table. If Meghan and Harry wish more independence then they will have it. Archie will have it too and he could be destined to feel an outsider in his own family through no fault of his own.

I agree, and I think that her lack of a family may make her overly stubborn and insisting on her own way. I wonder if she’s just not a fan of big families, like she’s overwhelmed by the Windsors. Sadly, I foresee that Archie wii likely grow up not knowing his family...

I'm surprised that Harry and Meghan have handled it in this way. They've acted like two stroppy teenagers stomping off in a huff. Why couldn't they have discussed it properly, like the Queen asked them to? I'm sure something could have been worked out.

The poor execution has surprised me too, as whatever you think of Meaghan she was quite media aware in the past. She only had a supporting actress role on SUITS yet she made her profile higher with The Tig, her UN speech etc..

Peter and Zara have never had security. Beatrice and Eugenie lost their RPOs in 2011, any security from that point has come from Andrews own pocket.

I always thought all the Queen's grandchildren had security guards.

So what will be your opinion if this does actually happen?

From royal correspondent Richard Palmer

@Royalreporter In spite of a number of polls over the past two days showing the public want Harry and Meghan to leave and be deprived of cash, the Queen and her family have no desire to cut the couple adrift. Better inside the tent than outside? Also Important to say that the talks are still at an early stage but they are “progressing well”, according to sources who say the governments of the UK and Canada are involved. The big thing is nobody is saying: You won’t get any money unless you agree to x, y, or z.

This seems to be the cover story of the papers tomorrow. Another leak?

Until Scotland Yard finishes their evaluation and changes things, me :lol: (And all other UK taxpayers too, of course!)

As they are not considered "working royals", their security personel (if they have it) is paid privately. I think Prince Andrew was paying for Bea and Eugenie, if Peter and Zara have security, probably Princess Anne.

Last edited:
I always thought all the Queen's grandchildren had security guards.

You are mistaken. The only members of the RF who have round the clock security are The Queen, Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla, Cambridge’s and still the Sussexes.

Isn't Canada part of the Commonwealth or am I mistaken?

It is. However they don’t intend to represent the commonwealth whilst spending half the year outside the UK. I believe they’ve chosen a commonwealth country for appearance sake, and for monetary reasons personally.

@RoyalReporter In spite of a number of polls over the past two days showing the public want Harry and Meghan to leave and be deprived of cash, the Queen and her family have no desire to cut the couple adrift. Better inside the tent than outside? Also Important to say that the talks are still at an early stage but they are “progressing well”, according to sources who say the governments of the UK and Canada are involved. The big thing is nobody is saying: You won’t get any money unless you agree to x, y, or z.

Hmm, I don’t want the Queen to punish Harry and Meghan, but neither do I want her - or Charles - to give them everything they want. I believe the Queen will do what’s best, though I hope she understands that the public doesn’t want to pay for part time Royals with an attitude problem

I think if they get the money it will mean some level of agreement to not enter certain types of commercial deals etc. I don't believe they will be given money and a free reign to do everything they want. The DM has a poll in tomorrows paper that shows while the public are happy for them to make their own way, that means making their own way, not on the coat tails of Charles and HM's money.

@RoyalReporter In spite of a number of polls over the past two days showing the public want Harry and Meghan to leave and be deprived of cash, the Queen and her family have no desire to cut the couple adrift. Better inside the tent than outside? Also Important to say that the talks are still at an early stage but they are “progressing well”, according to sources who say the governments of the UK and Canada are involved. The big thing is nobody is saying: You won’t get any money unless you agree to x, y, or z.

I think what will develop is a plan where Harry and Meghan will not be considered full time working royals for the "Firm" but rather part time representing the Queen and the monarchy on things such as tours, official engagements such as state banquets and Trooping the Color and whatever else the monarch would deem they're required for. They will not be called on to open hospitals or railways but rather their charitable work and their foundation will no longer be tied to the monarchy itself and not appear as "official business" in the court circular and the Sussexes will be focused more on the charities and organizations and incentives that are part of SussexRoyal Foundation and have sole control of that foundation.

They're enacting changes in how things work going into the future for the Sussexes and part of that will be perhaps residing in Canada for part of the year. It may even be seen eventually like the Queen taking personal time at Balmoral for a few months in the summer and Sandringham around the holidays. The Sussex family just chooses Canada, a Commonwealth country.
They're negotiating to enact changes that are suitable and workable for both the monarchy and the Sussexes.

To quote Buddha: Nothing is permanent. Everything is subject to change and being is always becoming". ?

Zara and Peter haven't got security. Prince Andrew pays for any security Beatrice and Eugenie have got - they did have state-funded police protection at one time, but it was stopped.

All this speculation about who's advised them is just paper talk, but I wish they *had* spoken to the Obamas or Oprah - intelligent people who would surely have advised them not to act so rashly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom