The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking the comments on their announcement on their Insta and I am actually amazed by how the tides seem to have turned against them so fast. When they first posted it, the comments were mostly positive. Now the comments with the most likes are the ones chastising them for the move. The words most repeated seem to be "financial independence"--they are mocked either for the vagueness of language or the hypocrisy of the idea or both.

No doubt this media storm has created a lot of drama but honestly their IG has always had vicious trolls who overtake the comments after a few hours. I wouldn't really be surprised. That was the main issue why they issued that new guidelines. Look under any of their posts and it is always the same ole. I mean even the ones announcing their son's birth.

Oprah has already been asked on her tour and she denied the story. This came from Page 6 in the US. It is basically the gossip section and they clearly trying to stir the pot for some clicks. They also asked Serena who refused to comment. They just going after all the high profile people they know.

Yes, as you point out Oprah Winfrey has denied the rumor:

https://people.com/royals/oprah-winfrey-denies-she-advised-meghan-markle-and-prince-harry/

Thank you! I think the Americans who don’t “get” the monarchy just see the royals as celebrities on the level of movie stars - perhaps because of Grace Kelly. I think those of us who do “get it” probably are also history lovers and have read about the monarchy as part of British history..

You hit the nail right on the head. The average American views royals as just another kind of celebrity - like a movie star or rock musician or (gasp) the Kardashians.

I remember - years ago - a coworker telling me how much she preferred Sarah over Diana because Sarah was "fun" and "acted just like one of us" while Diana was much more dignified in public.

The fact that members of the BRF aren't supposed to act like one of us completely escaped her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's very sad that they've damaged their relationship with the rest of the family. I hope Prince Philip is here to enjoy several more Christmases yet, and to get to know Archie, but he's looking pretty frail now. Most people would be wanting to spend time with their grandfather whilst they still had the chance. And Meghan's dad's never even met Harry or Archie. They may not get chance to mend these rifts, and then they may regret them.

You hit the hammer right on the head. The average American views royals as just another kind of celebrity - like a movie star or rock musician or (gasp) the Kardashians.

I remember - years ago - a coworker telling me how much she preferred Sarah over Diana because Sarah was "fun" and "acted just like one of us" while Diana was much more dignified in public.

The fact that members of the BRF aren't supposed to act like one of us completely escaped her.

Hence why so many American newspapers are hailing Harry and Meghan for their desire for freedom. I guess it goes back to Americans loathing the idea of a monarchy - see 1776 and thereabouts.

I begin to think 'the Lady' planned this all along.. [...]

Hence why so many American newspapers are hailing Harry and Meghan for their desire for freedom. I guess it goes back to Americans loathing the idea of a monarchy - see 1776 and thereabouts.

The counter-argument that should be made is that this not about two people trying to gain their freedom from an oppressive patriarchal ( or, in this case, matriarchal ) structure, but rather two employees going rogue and refusing to follow the chain of command of the corporation they work for.

Americans are free to choose who they work for , but, when they are unhappy with their job, they quit and move on to do something else. Dictating terms and imposing on the organization that employs them for their own personal gain is not acceptable behavior in American culture or, at least, I don’t think it is.

Yes, I agree, I think Americans tend to value individual freedom over duty. A lot of Americans saw Diana as an underdog trapped by a stifling institution.

The counter-argument that should be made is that this not about two people trying to gain their freedom from an oppressive patriarchal ( or, in this case, matriarchal ) structure, but rather two employees going rogue and refusing to follow the chain of command of the corporation they work for.

Americans are free to choose who they work for , but, when they are unhappy with their job, they quit and move on to do something else. Dictating terms and imposing on the organization that employs them for their own personal gain is not acceptable behavior in American culture or, at least, I don’t think it is.

This is the perfect counter-argument.

I begin to think 'the Lady' planned this all along..

Whatever the plan was or was not, the damage is considerable. There is now a seemingly irreparable rift between Harry and the Cambridges ( who used to be very close to him) and Harry, who was an asset to the Institution, is now gone and may even turn into a liability if his and Meghan’s free agent projects end up somehow putting the Crown or the royal brand in an embarrassing or difficult position. There is also the possibility that Harry and Meghan may keep fueling a feud with the Windsors in the surrogate press until they get exactly what they want or even beyond that.

That is why I think Charles wants a reconciliation as soon as possible. He lived through the Diana years, realizes he is not exactly very popular and sees the potential for future damage if that is not contained.

Oh I agree completely, but based on Twitter (which is all I can go by), Americans are not looking at it that way. The U.S. newspapers (from what I’ve seen) and Americans think Harry and Meghan have been shackled to a fusty, musty, ridiculous institution. I refuse to read anymore comments or any newspapers, therefore.

That is why I think Charles wants a reconciliation as soon as possible. He lived through the Diana years, realizes he is not exactly very popular and sees the potential for future damage if that is not contained.

Except that the Sussexes are not against Charles personnaly, unlike Diana (and why would they ? Charles has been more than gracious with Meghan), they are obviously against the limitations of the Monarchy as institution.
It would be absolutely crass to them to throw Charles under the bus to obtain what they want ( some part of the deal concerning revenues from Charles btw).

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, I think Americans tend to value individual freedom over duty. A lot of Americans saw Diana as an underdog trapped by a stifling institution.

Yes, this ...agree completely

Except that the Sussexes are not against Charles personnaly, unlike Diana (and why would they ? Charles has been more than gracious with Meghan), they are obviously against the limitations of the Monarchy as institution.
It would absolutely crass to them to throw Charles under the bus to obtain what they want ( some part of the deal concerning revenues from Charles btw).

The logic is that Charles will be the head of the monarchy and, to some extent, may even be already partially in charge. Any future attack on the monarchy for not treating them the way they think they deserve to be treated is therefore an attack now on the Queen and, in the future, on Charles. Likewise , any embarrassing action they make take as free agents ( either political or financial ) that may hurt the image of the monarchy ultimately hurts now the Queen and, eventually, Charles.

In other words, they have proven to be loose canons, so letting them go rogue is unwise., as it was with Diana following her divorce.

A not insignificant number of people have said since shortly after the engagement that Meghan and Harry would marry, Meghan would have a baby very quickly, and shortly thereafter, Meghan would leave the Royal Family and return to a social media-based brand.

These people were branded as "trolls," "Daily Mail commenters," people who were bigots just opposed to having an accomplished woman of color in the royal family, bitter, and jealous. In turn, they contended that they were, in fact, simply the ones who had taken the time to find out about Meghan and her past beyond what she herself and her friends had presented to the media. They invited anyone to do the same digging and suggested anyone who did would come to the same conclusions they had about the longterm plan here.

Funny who turned out to be dead right.

A not insignificant number of people have said since shortly after the engagement that Meghan and Harry would marry, Meghan would have a baby very quickly, and shortly thereafter, Meghan would leave the Royal Family and return to a social media-based brand.

These people were branded as "trolls," "Daily Mail commenters," people who were bigots just opposed to having an accomplished woman of color in the royal family, bitter, and jealous. In turn, they contended that they were, in fact, simply the ones who had taken the time to find out about Meghan and her past beyond what she herself and her friends had presented to the media. They invited anyone to do the same digging and suggested anyone who did would come to the same conclusions they had about the longterm plan here.

Bingo. I think what we're seeing now is quite a lot of vindication for those who did not have a good feeling about this from the start. And the truth is, many of us who didn't have a good feeling about this from the start really, really wanted to like her and truly hoped we were wrong. We truly hoped that our sense of all of this was just off and the vast majority of us truly had zero racist, classist, other-ism, mentalities about it. We simply saw her for what she was behind the facade that was being offered up by the anonymous friends speaking to People, the Oprah's and Amal's who suddenly became bosom buddies, etc. And sadly, our suspicions about the future plans have been confirmed.

Here's an interesting breakdown of some of the costs that are associated with the Sussexes, and which will now be under review. Apparently some of the figures given on the Sussex site may not be totally accurate:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...tion-sussexes-claims-about-finances-qb0j3pgj8

Here's another:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-harry-meghans-plans-breakaway-revealed-just/

The Telegraph article was very interesting.

They seem to have a number of articles making counterpoints to several Sussex claims/POV. I wish I could read more than the first paragraphs.:sad:

By a journalist who has a white mother and black father--

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20..._source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

It is absurd to blame the Harry and Meghan fiasco on 'British racism'

"...It is true that Meghan has suffered racist remarks on internet platforms. And, no doubt, a very small minority of genuinely prejudiced Britons will dislike the Duchess simply because of the colour of her skin. But the suggestion that the public at large is instinctively hostile to the couple because a dingy, residual bigotry claws at the inner depths of the British zeitgest is absurd. So too the idea that the country's press is institutionally prejudiced, peppering their copy with double-entendres that Meghan is ‘unsuitable’ for the Royal Family, and doesn't 'fit in'. ..."

Last edited:
Meghan flew all the way from Canada, without her son, only to have a great entrance at Canada House and at Hubb Kitchen, only to return straight away after dropping the mexit bombshell. That alone says a lot about her and the attention she craves.

I begin to think 'the Lady' planned this all along.. [...]

Can’t say I disagree. I never heard of her before the engagement but as others who followed her have said she wanted to “expand her brand”. Boy oh boy, after getting “Sussex” on her resume up until today, impatience comes to mind. That’s one thing - the issue I can’t wrap my head around is Harry doing this so coldly to his grandmother.

Please note that comments suggesting that the Duchess of Sussex is a narcissist have been edited/deleted. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a psychologically abusive and potentially dangerous personality trait. Accordingly, as with other unverifiable health issues we cannot allow such discussion. Thank you.

You're too kind. These people were branded as racists, nothing more, nothing less.
I remember very well when the first critics came out : the unfamous Vanity Fair issue. Some posters, including me, were a bit worried about a possible clash Celebrity vs Royal status.
The conclusion was : wait and see.

I guess we have seen ...

Meghan flew all the way from Canada, without her son, only to have a great entrance at Canada House and at Hubb Kitchen, only to return straight away after dropping the mexit bombshell. That alone says a lot about her and the attention she craves.

Or it actually says she is still dedicated to her patronages and the commitments they had already made :ermm: But I guess that's too positive.

We know she also made at least one private visit to the national theatre. There is a chance she visited her other patronages as well. They were warned their plans to step back were about to be leaked. Meghan decided to pay visits in person to her patronages to give them a heads up before it came out. Likely confirming she plans to have continued presence.

Her and Harry were likely scheduled weeks before to go to Canada house. That wasn't a last minute thing. The couple decided to continue through with it.

But no shock all blame on Meghan. Meghan is the celeb now wanting to cash in on titles with no work. Harry is the weak minded man led by a comivung wife and forced to abandon his dedication. When in reality Harry has spoken of leaving Royal life long before he met Meghan. And nothing about HM says weak minded and led by his wife.

Be angry fine. But this ridiculous need to villain ire Meghan and put all blame on Meghan likely another example why they leave.

You're too kind. These people were branded as racists, nothing more, nothing less.
I remember very well when the first critics came out : the unfamous Vanity Fair issue. Some posters, including me, were a bit worried about a possible clash Celebrity vs Royal status.
The conclusion was : wait and see.

I guess we have seen ...

We haven't seen.

The naysayers said Meghan would divorce Harry and run back to her acting life with the fame on her resume. That Harry as simply a prop for her, and like her first failed marriage, she would ditch him when she got what she wanted.

Did I miss it, I was under impression her husband and son were part of this move. Maybe I missed something while I am at work.

But again let's lay all the blame on Meghan. Harry is innocent scapegoat.

Obviously they have the time to update their account and post pictures there from their visit to the Hubb kitchen presenting themselves as working royals, they've got nerve, really.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...res-visit-Grenfell-kitchen-five-days-ago.html

First picture of HM since the Sussex bombshell: clearly not amused!

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01/10/16/23243466-7873341-image-a-102_1578672325853.jpg

Love that photo of HM behind the wheel, with a red lip. I mean it with much respect and affection when I say that woman is still A Boss.:flowers:

There is no way Harry is going to be Governor General of Canada:
1. We have one, and she is midway through her term. To toss her aside to put in a pouting prince would not fly.
2. He's not Canadian. It's been a long time since any Brit filled the role.
3. To my knowledge, he doesn't speak French. Non-starter.
4. He's not nearly accomplished enough. The current one is a freaking astronaut.

I agree that he will not likely become Governor General (nor would he and Meghan probably want this, as it's not a very exciting/mostly ceremonial job) but I guess I spoke to soon earlier...I think I said Canadians wouldn't want this either. However, apparently there's been a poll and 60% of Canadians polled DO want Harry as GG.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...arry-to-become-governor-general#comments-area

Last edited:
The logic is that Charles will be the head of the monarchy and, to some extent, may even be already partially in charge. Any future attack on the monarchy for not treating them the way they think they deserve to be treated is therefore an attack now on the Queen and, in the future, on Charles. Likewise , any embarrassing action they make take as free agents ( either political or financial ) that may hurt the image of the monarchy ultimately hurts now the Queen and, eventually, Charles.

In other words, they have proven to be loose canons, so letting them go rogue is unwise., as it was with Diana following her divorce.

I don’t disagree, but on the other hand Charles does need to keep his son in line to the best of his abilities, and unlike with Diana, I think most people are backing him. They certainly don’t want him to keep paying H & M from the Duchy of Cornwall. I think that the more Harry and Meghan get, the more they will demand, so while I don’t necessarily think there should be a scorched earth policy, I believe that the Queen and Charles should offer up a list of options where it’s obvious that whichever they pick, they won’t get nearly all of what they want.

Ultimately, I think the BRF will emerge just fine; I think the Sussexes will damage themselves.

Bingo. I think what we're seeing now is quite a lot of vindication for those who did not have a good feeling about this from the start. And the truth is, many of us who didn't have a good feeling about this from the start really, really wanted to like her and truly hoped we were wrong. We truly hoped that our sense of all of this was just off and the vast majority of us truly had zero racist, classist, other-ism, mentalities about it. We simply saw her for what she was behind the facade that was being offered up by the anonymous friends speaking to People, the Oprah's and Amal's who suddenly became bosom buddies, etc. And sadly, our suspicions about the future plans have been confirmed.

I agree Heather but I think Harry likes attention too. She could have all the hissy fits behind closed doors and no one would know. He allowed this mess. We’re seeing a glimpse of the real him.

I wish this family all the best in the world. I truly hope that they get away from this type of toxicity and live a life according to their own heart's desire.

Thank you for these kind words. I hope so, too.

And here is my question again: what reliable information do we have apart from the Sussexes writing they "intend" to step back (and we know how this family means things that are "intended") and that BP stated it takes time to negociate and organize it all, but that they are all on it.

Everthing else is just rumours and opinions. Discussions of people who have nothing to do with what is happening. A media who always prefers clickbait to truth and "grey men" with their own agenda.

I still sit back and wait, but seeing this, I can understand Harry and Meghan wanting to change their situation right in the middle of so much meddling and interference of people who have nothing to do with it all.

For myself, all I can say is that I did 'have reservations' when Ms Markle married Prince Harry, they were based on my perception of how she may/may not be able to 'fit in' to an ancient and highly hierarchical monarchy, as a Californian, free-spirited feminist.

Many [both here and elsewhere] felt the same, but tried to put away their worries, since a much-loved Prince had made his choice, and [above all] they wanted that sad little boy, traipsing behind his Mothers Coffin to find the happiness that eluded her.

I still want that for him, but think it increasingly unlikely, given the alienation that now exists between him, his Family and his Country of birth.

Last edited:
Ooh, the more I read, the angrier I get... How dare they? No one asked them to try and disrupt the system, no one wants them to. Meghan has been married to Harry for less than two years - it takes a special kind of arrogance and self-importance to decide that you’re going to come to another country and change a thousand year old institution. Harry has zero respect for his father, grandmother, brother, family, history. He’s - sadly - second rate.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex see themselves as royal “disrupters” who want to help forge a new model for the royal family in the 21st century, the Evening Standard has learned.

Sources close to Harry and Meghan say they regard their role as similar to the tech innovators who have challenged the established heavyweights of the corporate world.

One source said: “It’s been clear this set up hasn’t been working for them and they’re keen to craft a new model.”

For myself, all I can say is that I did 'have reservations' when Ms Markle married Prince Harry, they were based on my perception of how she may/may not be able to 'fit in' to and ancient and highly hierarchical monarchy, as a Californian, free-spirited feminist.

Many [both here and elsewhere] felt the same, but tried to put away their worries, since a much-loved Prince had made his choice, and [above all] they wanted that sad little boy, traipsing behind his Mothers Coffin to find the happiness that eluded her.

I still want that for him, but think it increasingly unlikely, given the alienation that now exists between him, his Family and his Country of birth.

We have nothing to go on that he alienated from his entire family but tabloids.

He is certainly not in exile from the UK. You make it sound like he has been forced to leave his beloved country forever. One he chose to move and two he can and plans to return for work. Many people leave the country of their birth for many reasons like work or love and shocking ply they are happy.

You have him painted as some poor exile living in misery separated from all he knows. Instead of building a life he Chose with his wife and son in a country they both clearly feel a connection to or they'd not choose it.

Some how millions of expats do it every day and seem quite happy at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom