The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry's the president of the Rugby League, and he's doing the draw for the rugby league World Cup next week. At least he's sticking to his commitments. Meanwhile, the Harry and Meghan story is on every front page this morning, ahead of the plane tragedy in Iran, the Australian bushfires and the Brexit bill going through the House of Commons. If they wanted to cause a stir, they've succeeded.

I don’t care what age a person is, I think it is terrible to proudly & publicly support a family member associated with a convicted paedophile while showing no support for others struggling from being bullied non-stop. It makes sense & I completely understand why the Sussexes made the announcement when they did, considering the malicious behaviour from others leaking details to tabloids. I’m grateful too for sussexroyal.com, I’d rather read from that source than others.
You don't know that she offered them no support. And you totally missed the point about a lifetime of sacrifice.

And she didn't "proudly and publicly" support her son - he was made to step down - quite rightly - from his public role, but she signalled that he is still her family.

You take your information from where you want but Tom Bradby isn't neutral - and neither is the couple's website.

They weren't happy and needed to do something about it - it could have been done with a bit more respect and a lot less petulance.

Were Sussexes mentioned in the Christmas Broadcast? If not it might hurt they feelings. They know their place, but it's still nice to be recognized, especially if you pit worki in, and it's a family firm. Also, I can see them hurt by the lack of Archie's photo. His birth was surely a highlight of the year. Was he even mentioned in the speech?
I know Sussexes are down the succession line, but they were supposed to be front-line royal represantives, at least till Cambridge kids are old enough. And IMO in popularity and recognizability (is that a word?) H&M are equal to W&K.

Were Sussexes mentioned in the Christmas Broadcast? If not it might hurt they feelings. They know their place, but it's still nice to be recognized, especially if you pit worki in, and it's a family firm. Also, I can see them hurt by the lack of Archie's photo. His birth was surely a highlight of the year. Was he even mentioned in the speech?
I know Sussexes are down the succession line, but they were supposed to be front-line royal represantives, at least till Cambridge kids are old enough. And IMO in popularity and recognizability (is that a word?) H&M are equal to W&K.

Archie was prominently mentioned in the Christmas speech ...

I really don't think that something as inconsequential as a speech and a photo was the reason for this - no one - hopefully is this childish and narrow minded.

It's been interesting to read the opinion on this thread.

My own view is that Meghan and Harry have obviously been very unhappy for some time. From a humanitarian perspective, its cruel to keep someone in a situation in which they are so obviously unhappy. From a practical point of view people unhappy in their job are generally not going to be effective in that job.

For these reasons I don't have a problem with the Sussex's decision. I do have a problem with how it happened. As many others have said, springing the public announcement on the family was unnecessary and showed no respect for the Queen, Charles or William.

Now that it has happened, I agree with those who have said it must be a clean break rather than the half in/half out version on their web page. I have no problem with them going to live quietly in Canada or the US. I do have a problem with them setting up some sort of rival Court.

Likewise, if they are not working for the Crown then no public funding including from the Duchy, no protection paid for by British (or Canadian) tax payers and commercial rent paid for on Frogmore.

I am also uncomfortable with them using their royal titles for commercial purposes if the income is not going 100% to charity. If they want to endorse products or take speaking engagements and live off the proceeds - even a small amount of those proceeds - then do it as Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor, not as Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

I'm sorry it has come to this and I hope they will be happy in their new life but I can't see that happening, the British Media is not going to be any less intrusive than they are now.
Absolutely agree with this.

They have in many ways been treated appallingly by the press and I can see that the "stuffiness" (for want of a better word) of royal life may have been a difficult fit for them. However, one thing I've been thinking for several months is that they can't take ANY criticism at all - and some comments were understandable.

Also, personally, I don't think it's fair to make this an "evil Meghan leading Harry astray" issue as some seem to be doing. I also disagree with the "evil Queen and Royal Family" doing nothing to help them.

I really don't think that something as inconsequential as a speech and a photo was the reason for this - no one - hopefully is this childish and narrow minded.
You know, it may depend on the atmosphere in the family. It might be hard when within a family some members are more important than others.
But of course that doesn't excuse H&M's ridiciulous demands and the whole execution of their stepping down

Based on the 'funding page' that clearly stated that 'earning a professional income' was a priority; this doesn't come as a surprise (if true). They are looking forward to 'cash in'; and I am pretty sure they will with or without title at least for the near future. And after that they will continue to be a huge risk for many decades to come for the BRF. I truly wish Charles and William lots of wisdom in negotiating something that will protect the firm from the worst.

As soon as we heard about the Oprah/Disney deal, I knew this was the direction they were heading in.

Meghan flew to Canda tonight and has no plans to come back to UK anytime soon.
Harry is expected to join her and Archie very soon there but he also has an engagement next Thursday at Buckingham Palace.

Ridiculous. The jet lag argument is ridiculous, Henry has engagements next week, why drop in and then leave? She just wanted the sensation of drama. Clearly she misses it.

I'm actually not seeing much criticism of Meghan and Harry wanting to step back from royal duties, aside from a very few sources. The outrage seems to be mostly about how the entire announcement was handled, and the wish list/demands/assumptions on the Sussex website. The general consensus seems to be for them to go if they need or want to, but that they owed both the Queen and the PoW a more considerate, orderly and dignified process, and that criticism is coming both from people who have been highly critical or hostile in the past, as well as people who have admired or defended them in the past.

I agree. It’s all around how it’s been done, and the fact it’s created more questions than answers. They just sound like spoilt brats.

Prince Charles sells Duchy Organics in Waitrose. The Queen sells official royal items in RCT. The Cambridges trademarked on the same day as the Sussexes.

Problem is with this we simply don’t know where the money is going to go from all these trademarked products potentially being linked to The Sussex Foundation. The Duchy Organics profit all goes to the Princes Charity, everything that’s sold as memorabilia in royal palaces goes back into the RCT or another charity. AFAIK the Cambridge’s have nothing like merchandise as of yet but I can guarantee where it’s going to go.

I just read that Harry wanted to meet with the Queen and courtiers blocked the meeting. I would have thought as Queen she could choose what she wants apparently not.

The strong consensus is that they wanted to meet with The Queen and she wouldn’t until Henry had spoken to his father. Which frankly sounds absolutely fair to me.

I see; so at this point there is a good chance Beatrice will be added to the list to replace Harry, then?

Assuming that post-marriage she is settled back in London and not in NYC as much as she has been in the past.

Certainly one of the York girls would be 'next cab off the rank' as a CoS and unless the Queen lives until George is 21 Beatrice will be eligible at some point.

The strong consensus is that they wanted to meet with The Queen and she wouldn’t until Henry had spoken to his father. Which frankly sounds absolutely fair to me.
To me what's said about Queen Elizabeth wanting Harry to discuss things over with Charles before reporting what they've agreed upon to her, shows that Charles is now the head of the family and as the future king the one who decides on matters that affects the future of both the family and the monarchy as a whole.
Naturally the Queen has to sign off on everything but both the handling of Andrew and now the Sussexes makes it look like she's delegated the decision making process & the implementation of it to Charles who by the looks of it includes William more and more.

What is everybody's problem? Harry is a grown man. He is also married with his own family to protect. After how Meghan has been attacked in the press, I cannot believe you all have issue with their decision.

Prince Charles will never cut off his son nor cut off communication with him. Meghan is American and the British news has been horrible to her. I always knew they would buy a home in the US as they should. His wife is American. It's natural.

They will be back and forth between England and the U.S. They will not be gone forever. They will still be in the news just based in North America half the time.
but they are not buying a Home in the US, they want to live in Canada and the UK.. They want to be in the BRF and work for them but also raise their own money. If they continue as working British Royals the Press will comment on them.. so they cant escape that.

I listened to the Arthur Edwards interview on my drive home from work and the same thought occurred to me as well. He repeatedly pointed out how things really changed after Archie was born. Yes, Harry & Meghan's issues with the press were happening well before the birth but I dunno. That's as far as I'm willing to go in speculating on what ultimately precipitated this break.

The other interesting thought that occurred to me when I was walking in my front door was that Tom Bradby's latest article really does lend some credence to Dan Wootton's assertion yesterday that the pic of HM and the 3 direct heirs was "the final straw." Bradby basically confirms that it had been made clear to the Sussexes that the focus of the BRF was and always would remain most heavily on the direct line of succession. What we already knew - that they were the next generation's Wessexes - perhaps they hadn't really accepted that this was always going to be their destiny and when that pic came out last week, the reality finally sank in. Maybe Harry thought things would be different with Charles only having two kids versus HM's four, because he was one of Diana's boys, or who knows? And, clearly, there are some people in their inner circle who have convinced them that they are bigger stars than the BRF is willing to let them be. I fear Bradby is quite right - things are bound to get a lot worse in this rift before they ever get better.

And perhaps the anger is understandable. Everyone seems to think Meghan is the driving force behind all of this, but Harry gave up a career he loved to do something he doesn't. At least not really. And only to be sidetracked so soon. If might feel that if the same thing that happened to the Wessexes will happen to them (as in no one paying attention) his sacrifice will have been for nothing. He still can't make a difference in anyone's lives, which is perhaps what made him giving up his career worthwhile.

Reading that Meghan already went back to Canada I wonder if this royal thing ever had a chance to work... UK is obviously not a home to her. I wonder if there was ever a chance for her to be happy being away form her mom and friends.
It's shocking how H&M abruptly cut ties with UK. 3 days ago their were dedicated to work for the Kingdom and now they live if on the other continent and only popped up with short visit. Zero transition period and easing into new role. I guess history likes repeat itself. They leave as they came. Hastly and reflectionless

If might feel that if the same thing that happened to the Wessexes will happen to them (as in no one paying attention) his sacrifice will have been for nothing.

Unfortunately this is where the sense of duty and role comes in which is a strange way for royals to describe their patriotism. The Wessex, Princess Royal, The Kent's and Gloucester's do -they get up and do regardless of their popularity and media attention. They do it for the Queen and the charity and possibly as the older generations see it as a role from God.
Yes it is not glamour and they are not thriving in their existence, but they believe this is what they are meant to be doing.
Has it been for nothing ? They wouldn't think so.

Oddly - A random through from the radio He noted that Harry would get everything he wanted because he is popular and attractive. If this was Edward - he would have been thrown to the dogs by all concerned and the public would have demanded absolutely every send they perceive they have every given him from birth.

And perhaps the anger is understandable. Everyone seems to think Meghan is the driving force behind all of this, but Harry gave up a career he loved to do something he doesn't.

I said this in my first full comment. This escapism isn’t new, Henry hasn’t ever wanted to be a royal that’s quite clear. The issue for me is the way it’s been handled and the abruptness of it. Meghan and Henry could have done such wonderful things as senior royals, for causes close to their heart. I personally don’t feel they had to choose this route to do what they wanted.

Reading that Meghan already went back to Canada I wonder if this royal thing ever had a chance to work... UK is obviously not a home to her. I wonder if there was ever a chance for her to be happy being away form her

Hit the nail on the head. This situation wasn’t given a chance. I think that’s where Meghan comes in, whilst we’ve always known Henry didn’t like his role he was solid with his brother and sister in law. Comments from a couple of years ago were how Henry was looking forward to living next to his siblings. I personally believe Meghan’s gone, well it’s not working for me, now you have to choose.

To me what's said about Queen Elizabeth wanting Harry to discuss things over with Charles before reporting what they've agreed upon to her, shows that Charles is now the head of the family and as the future king the one who decides on matters that affects the future of both the family and the monarchy as a whole.
Naturally the Queen has to sign off on everything but both the handling of Andrew and now the Sussexes makes it look like she's delegated the decision making process & the implementation of it to Charles who by the looks of it includes William more and more.

Couldn’t agree more! It’s so clear, not only from Charles being the head of the family but he’s also firstly Henry’s father.

Yes it is not glamour and they are not thriving in their existence, but they believe this is what they are meant to be doing.
How do you know that they are not thriving living a life performing royal duties? They all seem happy enough when out and about representing the Queen.

Speaking with my friends today at lunch it was unanimous that here in America we will greatly welcome Prince Harry and Princess Meghan if they so choose to live here. They are both smart and enjoyable people and its easy to make a small fortune here as long as you already have collateral money which I assume they do. I thought they were treated most unfairly in Great Britain, but there is always an opportunity to change one's way of life. In a way they will be 'our royals', but only in thought and never legally of course....lol.

As an American, I have no desire to see Harry and Meghan living here...not after this has all gone down.

One of the cardinal points in the British press seems to be "financial independent."

H&M can indeed become financial independent of the BRF and of the British state, because if they go commercial, especially if they go all out commercial, that can earn a serious amount of money! Certainly enough to live a life that exceeds the lifestyle they live now - and without the accountability to the BRF and the British taxpayers.
That sounds good on paper, right?

But can the BRF and the British government (read the British people) accept that full member of the BRF, are openly using their title and position to create a very substantial income?
Even if most of the income goes to charities and protections - of their choosing?

Personally I can't see the BRF and the British government accepting such a construction.
It's wishful thinking dreamed up by someone who don't understand that royals represent a country, not themselves. That they create an income for their country, not themselves.
Harry ought to know that, so I can only conclude that the branding agency, they are involved with, has somehow managed to convince him that this will not only work, but remain uncontroversial.
It is more than likely that they at some point will be involved with the wrong people. If they intend to remain full royals they must live up to a certain standard - it's a catch 22.

Even as semi-active royals they still have to adhere to the restrictions surrounding the BRF. The very same restrictions they obviously can't wait to get free from.

So the only solution, should they insist on following that path is to give up their royal status altogether.
They will still be able to earn a heap of money though - at least for some years.

In that context. Provided H&M become commoners, as much as that is possible, and earn their own money (and lots of them!) both for themselves and their causes, by basically selling themselves (their brand) how do you think H&M would be viewed and received by the public in both Britain as well as the Commonwealth countries where QEII is the head of state, mainly Australia, New Zealand and Canada?
Would the general public turn their backs on them? Seeing them as an embarrassment for the BRF? Or would they be embraced as the high-earning semi-royal celebs they have become?

As an American, I have no desire to see Harry and Meghan living here...not after this has all gone down.

It’s much easier, after the buttering up mission to Canada House, for them to go to Canada. Also looks like they still have ties to the BRF in that it’s part of the commonwealth.

Speaking with my friends today at lunch it was unanimous that here in America we will greatly welcome Prince Harry and Princess Meghan if they so choose to live here.

Who’s Princess Meghan?

I love Charles, but I think the Queen was showing respect to him as Harry’s father, not because he’s head of the Family. Also, she’s probably thinking about his this is essentially going to affect his reign more than hers...

Also, personally, I don't think it's fair to make this an "evil Meghan leading Harry astray" issue as some seem to be doing. I also disagree with the "evil Queen and Royal Family" doing nothing to help them.

I also completely disagree with the idea that the Royal Family have done nothing to help them … and I agree that it's unfair that Meghan is getting all the blame. This has happened throughout history - Anne Boleyn, Henrietta Maria, Marie Antoinette, the Tsarina Alexandra, Wallis Simpson and many others have all got the blame, rather than their royal husbands/future husbands. I'm not a fan of Meghan, but Harry is a grown man who is responsible for his own actions.

Just to add to my previous comment.

IMHO I don't think that Meghan and Harry have ever gave a chance living in UK. From the begining of their relationship they were constantly in transition period. Moving in together, getting married, being pregnant, renovating and moving into new home, getting used to life with a baby. They've just starter 'a proper' life together. They should have wait to see how their normal and everyday life would feel.

And perhaps the anger is understandable. Everyone seems to think Meghan is the driving force behind all of this, but Harry gave up a career he loved to do something he doesn't. At least not really. And only to be sidetracked so soon. If might feel that if the same thing that happened to the Wessexes will happen to them (as in no one paying attention) his sacrifice will have been for nothing. He still can't make a difference in anyone's lives, which is perhaps what made him giving up his career worthwhile.

If that’s his thinking, he should think again. Everyone in the family has made sacrifices - the Queen’s father paid the heaviest price, but she herself also. Then there’s Charles, his siblings (forget Andrew for now) and other Royals, past and present; It’s not like Harry has been asked to carry this lonesome burden. If this is his thinking, he just sounds like a child to me. No one is sidetracking him - but yes, there are heirs and heirs to be and he’s not one of them. It doesn’t mean he’s not loved or valued as much as his brother - or anyone else. As to making a difference in people’s lives, that’s rubbish - of course he can; what does he think his family - past and present - has been doing? Does Harry think that his father, uncles/aunts, etc... work has been useless because most of them aren’t heirs to the throne? If so, he needs to get his royal head out of his behind.

If I recall it correctly, Archie’s birth was mentioned in the Christmas broadcast, which even included a clip of the Queen and the DoE meeting the newborn baby and his parents at Windsor.

If I recall it correctly, Archie’s birth was mentioned in the Christmas broadcast, which even included a clip of the Queen and the DoE meeting the newborn baby and his parents at Windsor.
Thank you. Now I don't see a reason for getting upset about heirs' photo.

There was no reason for him to get upset. He knows that the "direct line" is often emphasised in this way.. and he's a second son.

One of the cardinal points in the British press seems to be "financial independent."

I really have a problem with the things that are reported right now - apart from their "intent" to step down and what is written on their webpage, I have yet to hear anything from the "mouth". And I don't trust the media at all.

Plus: we are all believing that man is born free and has the right of choice how to lead his life. But where is Harry's choice? He has the right to step down as a Royal, try to finance his life independantly and live where he wants to. Or not?

And if he does it is the right of his father and his grandmother to let him keep the titles he was born with or which he did acquire in his life. And pay him an apanage from the family money. But he has to accept as well if the souverain takes his titles and if his grandmother and his father keep him from the family money apart from his part of the inheritance after both his grandmother's and father's death. That's their decision and has nothing to do with him.

But it's theirs to negociate and fix in some sort of contract. That's what they do at the moment - with the added presence of the governments of the states Harry could chose to live, as he only has the right to stay in the UK without limits.

All other people have IMHO nothing to add but their own opinion.

So I am sitting here and wait for more info from the source. And if there is none, I'll accept that, for it is Harrys life, not mine.

The whole media spectacle we see at the moment, all those people offering opinions and their own biased "information" do not help anyone but muddy the waters.

Harry is a British citizen - he is free to live his life the way he can afford it and he can already afford to live in comfort without doing anything or just working for charities. I am sure he has a contract about his Cottage in Windsor Home Park, so if it is his according to the basic rules, he can live there. Or somewhere else where they allow a Briton and husband of an US citizen to live.

So all is settled or in the process of being settled. That's enough for me.
And if Meghan wants to stay with Archie in Canada till Harry has settled his affairs or flew over to fetch the boy back to the Uk means nothing to me because I should not have an opinion about things I know nothing about. For I don't know Meghan and Harry.
But: as a trained journalist I can say that I am deeply ashamed to see how other journalists use their craft to write influencing pieces and lies about them for people who don't know them either, but believe they get to know them through reading.

There was no reason for him to get upset. He knows that the "direct line" is often emphasised in this way.. and he's a second son.
Exactly. It's worth noting that only William's first child was included as well. Not to mention only the Queen's first child.

Do you think Harry will support his brother when he becomes king? Will he continue to support the Queen when necessary?

I also completely disagree with the idea that the Royal Family have done nothing to help them … and I agree that it's unfair that Meghan is getting all the blame. This has happened throughout history - Anne Boleyn, Henrietta Maria, Marie Antoinette, the Tsarina Alexandra, Wallis Simpson and many others have all got the blame, rather than their royal husbands/future husbands. I'm not a fan of Meghan, but Harry is a grown man who is responsible for his own actions.

He is but I think that all this stuff about making their own money comes for Meghan. He may have dreamed of walking away but I think she has supplied the idea (as an American used to earning her own money and planning her own career) that they can "make their own money" and do not have to depend on handouts from the RF. SO Harry might have opted for "quiet retirement" from royal life and a quiet life In the UK or elsewhere on what money he has, but I think seh's the one who has said "but we don't have to do that, we can make our own income.. by using our Brand or lecture tours or whatever.."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom