The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that Charles intended on keeping his siblings and sons as working royals but not cousins - hence no working roles for the York princesses but he wasn't going to throw away his siblings and then Andrew happened.

Now Harry has something to consider. If the second son of the current monarch can be thrown out so can the second son of the next monarch - 'better to get out now while I can still do something with my life rather than wait to be thrown out'.

I am also sure that Meghan was pushing things from very early as she seemed to want to be a celebrity and not a royal and no one was able to make her understand the difference. I think she found things like curtseying to her grandmother-in-law something culturally foreign and having to always be aware of where she actually fitted in terms of protocol.

I do think the cultural clash between an American actress and a British prince was too much to cross and so Harry has had to chose - my immediate family, wife and son, over my extended family, father, brother etc. He has chosen his wife and son.

I do think though that it needs to be a full break - not half-in, half-out. No funding from the British at all, no 'royal engagements' in the CC (other than the real biggies like Trooping that even Beatrice and Eugenie and the Michael's of Kent attend). That is the level they have decided to be - the very minor royals so let them.

I agree with all of this, and I hope that the Queen and Charles insist on this.

My biggest concern is the affect on the family. The logistics will work themselves out, but I’m afraid things will never be the same for the BRF as a family...

Sometimes, when people are so unhappy and burned out, they can't face going back for any length of time. I agree that Harry and Meghan have not handled this well, but I am sympathetic to them since it is obvious that she has been very, very unhappy. Sometimes you have to put yourself first.

I think it would have far more constructive if Harry had come back alone and given the (true) explanation that Meghan is not feeling well. That would have given him time to have a heart-to-heart with his father. Once they understood how serious it was, I'm sure the family would have helped Harry work out a more graceful exit with the goal of protecting Harry and his family.

Meghan has been a Royal for what...19 months? And look where we are now because poor Meghan is “unhappy”. Hogwash.

A friend in the U.K. said they were watching the evening news and one of their reporters was outside BP and stated that the Sussexes were informed several weeks ago they would not be part of the slimmed down monarchy.

So if that is true, this announcement yesterday seems to be an extension of that news.

LARae
I’m gonna bet every single property I own and every dime I have, that if true this was not the original plan for the couple.

The fact Meghan was originally added to the foundation, the big wedding, the house, the patronage’s and president/vp positions given speak to that.

My guess is, if this is true due to Meghan not being able to wait to launch her silly brand and commercialize and profit off her title, then **** started hitting the fan with these two, so the family had to make a decision. And Harry with Meghan is too much of a wild card. If things were different, if it was just Harry, or Harry and a spouse who cared about duty and not money and fame, this decision, again if true, would not have happened.

I know that we shouldn’t speculate, but could Meghan be suffering from post-Partnum depression and is just unable to cope?

Once again.... just asking not opining on the topic.

Another point that keeps sticking out for me...all of this surely must cause a lot of people, myself included, to put a bit more stock in all those rumblings about Meghan ruthlessly cutting off those she deems no longer useful to her. Yes, her family is horrid and clearly unstable but in most cases, where there's smoke there's fire and goodness knows there's been lots of smoke around her for a long time. I have to say that even though I've long seen and commented on the warning signs, this has all driven home very clearly the point that there might just be something to all those stories.

And finally, their de facto mouthpiece has been quoted in People magazine talking about all of this and their reasons and if their settlement has not yet been finalized I don't believe he's done them any favors. He states in no uncertain terms that they're prepared for it all to be taken away and they're even accepting of the fact that they no longer have the right to represent the BRF.
https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...hey-are-being-driven-out-says-friend-its-sad/

I rolled my eyes at the notion that Harry and Meghan believe they age being driven out....honestly, they sound kind of paranoid to me, and if not paranoid, then extremely self-centered. Everything has to be about them. No one is driving these tow out except themselves; they are the ones choosing to separate themselves from Harry’s family.

I also agree it will likely be a complete break and I think they fully expect that outcome. I also suspect due to that we will rarely, if at all, see them at events like Trooping. Once there is a break they really have no reason to be involved.

I don't think it was a coincidence Meghan and Harry made a note to visit the Hubb ladies and Meghan was seen visiting her patronages. I think deep down they knew.

Try I Phone!! :D I'm on my desktop (Apple) using Chrome ...just now checked again and refreshed the page...it's working!

LaRae

yep - it's my Galaxy Tab! I'm on my HP desktop computer (which I recently bought and upgraded to 32gb!) and I can see the page. Me thinks it's time for an upgrade of my Samsung Galaxy Tab that I've had for three years :D:D:D

I was kind of hoping that they were going to release more information about projects and initiatives. I may be also jumping the gun a bit.....

I’m not defending Meghan but one thing that is unfair to her is the tired “evil, manipulative wife pulling her naive, easily led husband into her wicked scheme story. It’s dispiriting to see how quick people are to put the blame on the wife.

To be clear - I think Meghan’s behaviour surrounding this announcement has been deplorable and, unless it turns out she is suffering from serious mental health issues, I have no pity for her. She rushed into marriage with a man who came with unique responsibilities and once she figured out she wasn’t going to ever have enough power in the BRF to make the changes she thought it needed, she checked out.

BUT it’s not Meghan who was born into the royal family. That’s Harry. When a man cheats on his wife he is the one breaking vows, not the other woman. In the same way, Harry is the one turning his back on his unique heritage and needlessly causing his family pain.

And let’s get real: a woman cannot lead a man anywhere he really doesn’t want to go.. I think Harry knew very well he was marrying a woman who would likely not fit in easily with British Royal life and I think a part of him may have seen her as a potential escape route.

I also agree it will likely be a complete break and I think they fully expect that outcome. I also suspect due to that we will rarely, if at all, see them at events like Trooping. Once there is a break they really have no reason to be involved.

I don't think it was a coincidence Meghan and Harry made a note to visit the Hubb ladies and Meghan was seen visiting her patronages. I think deep down they knew.

I would agree with that. I really think we're looking at a complete and total break and I think that if they didn't already know that, it's probably sinking in now. The two biggest questions right now, for me at least, are whether or not they will get to keep any funding at all from the Duchy or whether they'll be expected to survive on their own not inconsiderable resources and whether or not they'll retain their HRHs and titles. I realize that the titles are much harder to do away with than the styles but frankly, I don't think it's at all out of the realm of possibility that their titles will be stripped even though it's a much bigger process. There will not be support in Parliament for allowing them to hang onto the Sussex title with the common knowledge that they want to use it for commercial purposes.

If I'm being honest I have to admit that once that complete break has taken place I very much doubt we'll ever see them again at Trooping or Sandringham for Christmas or anything else that amounts to a family event. I think they've really done a lot of damage not only professionally but personally and it's going to be hard to come back from that and that's if they even deem it important to try to maintain or repair those relationships which I have my doubts about. Maybe one day, quite some time down the line, we'll see Harry, and hopefully Archie, at family events here and there but I suspect Meghan has completely washed her hands of the UK with no intention of returning for any reason.

So allow me to speculate and say that if Canada's parliament agree, then Perhaps Prince Harry could take the roll of Governor General. Which is the Queens representative. It would be a good fit for them.

No thank you. We have had Canadian GGs since 1952 at this point; for the last 20 years, we've developed a tradition of appointing highly accomplished people.

I don't think we're really looking to replace a scientist and former astronaut only two years into her term with a man whose main selling point at this juncture is that he and the UK would both rather like to be rid of the other.

Besides, Harry is unlikely to want the role. It is not glamorous, nor is it monetizable, and it is no more amenable to "having a voice" than being a member of the BRF is. Additionally, there's no real tradition of a role for the GG's spouse other than showing up occasionally accompanying their spouse.

A friend in the U.K. said they were watching the evening news and one of their reporters was outside BP and stated that the Sussexes were informed several weeks ago they would not be part of the slimmed down monarchy.

So if that is true, this announcement yesterday seems to be an extension of that news.

LARae

I am also beginning to wonder if the Sussexes were not irritated/affected by all the gloating in the media pointing out how HMQ had removed their photo from the background of her Christmas speech.

It's a little thing....but i am starting to see the drip drip effect of what they might have considered as rejection.:ermm:

I know that we shouldn’t speculate, but could Meghan be suffering from post-Partnum depression and is just unable to cope?

Once again.... just asking not opining on the topic.
I listened to the Arthur Edwards interview on my drive home from work and the same thought occurred to me as well. He repeatedly pointed out how things really changed after Archie was born. Yes, Harry & Meghan's issues with the press were happening well before the birth but I dunno. That's as far as I'm willing to go in speculating on what ultimately precipitated this break.

The other interesting thought that occurred to me when I was walking in my front door was that Tom Bradby's latest article really does lend some credence to Dan Wootton's assertion yesterday that the pic of HM and the 3 direct heirs was "the final straw." Bradby basically confirms that it had been made clear to the Sussexes that the focus of the BRF was and always would remain most heavily on the direct line of succession. What we already knew - that they were the next generation's Wessexes - perhaps they hadn't really accepted that this was always going to be their destiny and when that pic came out last week, the reality finally sank in. Maybe Harry thought things would be different with Charles only having two kids versus HM's four, because he was one of Diana's boys, or who knows? And, clearly, there are some people in their inner circle who have convinced them that they are bigger stars than the BRF is willing to let them be. I fear Bradby is quite right - things are bound to get a lot worse in this rift before they ever get better.

Pranter said:

Then the whole story is much more incomprehensible as it alreaday is anyway.
Slimming down the Royal House would be quite a normal process, they just could have bite the bullet and get it done. A few more month and there you go.
Communicated by the Queen, nobody would have cared (be aware of that is what they wished anyway).

I am also beginning to wonder if the Sussexes were not irritated/affected by all the gloating in the media pointing out how HMQ had removed their photo from the background of her Christmas speech.

It's a little thing....but i am starting to see the drip drip effect of what they might have considered as rejection.:ermm:

Who knows but some correspondents think this was Harry trying to speed up the inevitable. He is the 2nd son. His brother has three kids. People know a slimmed down monarchy was coming. Some claim Harry would have been part if it. Maybe, maybe not. He clearly didn't see it that way.

I’m not defending Meghan but one thing that is unfair to her is the tired “evil, manipulative wife pulling her naive, easily led husband into her wicked scheme story. It’s dispiriting to see how quick people are to put the blame on the wife.

To be clear - I think Meghan’s behaviour surrounding this announcement has been deplorable and, unless it turns out she is suffering from serious mental health issues, I have no pity for her. She rushed into marriage with a man who came with unique responsibilities and once she figured out she wasn’t going to ever have enough power in the BRF to make the changes she thought it needed, she checked out.

BUT it’s not Meghan who was born into the royal family. That’s Harry. When a man cheats on his wife he is the one breaking vows, not the other woman. In the same way, Harry is the one turning his back on his unique heritage and needlessly causing his family pain.

And let’s get real: a woman cannot lead a man anywhere he really doesn’t want to go.. I think Harry knew very well he was marrying a woman who would likely not fit in easily with British Royal life and I think a part of him may have seen her as a potential escape route.

I agree. The “evil wife” narrative is tiresome and misogynistic. [...]Further, Meghan is isolated from most of her family. So as a couple they will need to rely on friends to support them. There’s no doubt Meghan is strong willed but it takes more than will to create the kind of life they seem to be seeking. They are setting sail with neither rudder nor anchor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about Harry and Archie's place in the succession now that this has unfolded.

As far as I've ever heard, the only ways royals have lost their place in the succession were to marry a non-Protestant or voluntarily renounce it in some other way (ie. Edward VIII).

As I was writing this I recalled that the King of Sweden had recently removed all his grandchildren Estelle and Oskar from membership in the royal house, but the children are still part of the line of succession. Also, his daughter Madeleine is now living in the U.S., I believe.

So I suppose it's not now unprecedented for royals to be relatively high on a list of succession and still not really be working royals or even living in the country.

All that said, it still doesn't seem quite right to me that Harry should choose this route for his son with them as high on the list of succession as they are. When Charles is king, Harry and Archie will be fourth and fifth in line. If something happened to the whole Cambridge family (which, barring an unprecedented disaster, won't happen but just supposing), can you imagine someone taking the throne who had primarily resided in another country and had no clear practical knowledge of what it meant to be a British royal?

Furthermore, iluvbertie sometimes raises the topic of counsellors of state. Archie would be on the list to be one at some point...how practical is that considering he is probably going to be raised in a different country?

I think this situation is all quite confusing and not nearly as straightforwards as Meghan and Harry seem to assume it will be.

Last edited:
Had a bit of through on this - sent out a bit of emails and this is what we came up with for the royal funding problem.

Here is my list of possible funding for the Sussex's:
1. Disney deal - Harry can do a Save Africa documentary. Do a David Atterburgh/ Bear turn. Megan can do Inspirational women and then they can always do Megan and Harry save the World about their charities and such.
2. Cosmetics/ Fashion/ Fragrances/ Luxury Goods - I think this is very much where Meghan wants to play. Release a line of clothes with her friends. Think of how the Beckhams and Kardashians do it.
3. Members of boards - potential especially as they age.
4. Memoirs, Talking Dates ect - Like the Obama and Clintons. I expect Harry& Meghan to especially be involved here on issues that are close to his heart. I also expect a magazine or similar like O.

All of these options can be done within the byline of doing charity work. Many celebrities do exactly that.

The problem is with conflicts within the royals already - for example if Harry is the new face of Audi and Charles and William drive Land Rover. It will also throw the whole supporting British talent, trade and exports into dispute. But many of asked exactly who's minor royals do they want to be - the UK's, the Commonwealth or the worlds? Essential every 'royal' duty they do, can and will be looked at as them potential looking for money.

Last edited:
The facts as I see them.
Harry and Meghan have been horribly bullied to the point where we now are seeing these current events as desperation by them.

Harry and Meghan are a young modern couple trying to find their way within the royal firm.
And yes they are going to make mistakes. So they learn from these mistakes and carry on.

Prince Charles has learnt how to be tough over the years, but he is fair. And I am sure he will treat them with compassion while they work out a solution to the current situation.

The Queen is the toughest of them all. She will offer guidance and a level head and she will be very fair with Harry and Meghan.
Like Osipi I believe we need to wait while BP works something out with H & M.

And we must never forget as 2020 marches on, that much of what has been reported is pure speculation or made up narrative. And that is the problem , as people end up with an unrealistic view of this couple. Some bits are true facts sure. However, there is plenty that is just made up speculation.

So allow me to speculate and say that if Canada's parliament agree, then Perhaps Prince Harry could take the roll of Governor General. Which is the Queens representative. It would be a good fit for them.
There is no way Harry is going to be Governor General of Canada:
1. We have one, and she is midway through her term. To toss her aside to put in a pouting prince would not fly.
2. He's not Canadian. It's been a long time since any Brit filled the role.
3. To my knowledge, he doesn't speak French. Non-starter.
4. He's not nearly accomplished enough. The current one is a freaking astronaut.

I am thinking about Harry and Archie's place in the succession now that this has unfolded.

As far as I've ever heard, the only ways royals have lost their place in the succession were to marry a non-Protestant or voluntarily renounce it in some other way (ie. Edward VIII).

As I was writing this I recalled that the King of Sweden had recently removed all his grandchildren Estelle and Oskar from membership in the royal house, but the children are still part of the line of succession. Also, his daughter Madeleine is now living in the U.S., I believe.

So I suppose it's not now unprecedented for royals to be relatively high on a list of succession and still not really be working royals or even living in the country.

All that said, it still doesn't seem quite right to me that Harry should choose this route for his son with them as high on the list of succession as they are. When Charles is king, Harry and Archie will be fourth and fifth in line. If something happened to the whole Cambridge family (which, barring an unprecedented disaster, won't happen but just supposing), can you imagine someone taking the throne who had primarily resided in another country and had no clear practical knowledge of what it meant to be a British royal?

Furthermore, iluvbertie sometimes raises the topic of counsellors of state. Archie would be on the list to be one at some point...how practical is that considering he is probably going to be raised in a different country?

I think this situation is all quite confusing and not nearly as straightforwards as Meghan and Harry seem to assume it will be.

Archie will never be councillor of state bar tragedy so it's not really a concern. When William is king, the next four in line would be his three children and Harry if the kids are over 21.

Right now we have
Charles
William
Harry
Andrew

If Harry removes himself by moving to Canada, Beatrice would be bumped up as she would be the 4th in line over the age of 21 living in the UK.

I really don't get the upset other then announcing it sooner then the queen knew. If they had announced this when they got married no one would blink. The Wessexes were part time royals the first few years. The Cambridges too.

I don't see them being stripped of their titles or losing place in succession. There is no grounds for it. They wouldn't be the first royals to have a private life. A small chance they lose HRH but even that I find doubtful.

I have no doubt Charles knew this was coming. Harry wasn't going to spring thus on his dad and think Charles would still help fund them. They aren't dumb enough to bite the hand that feeds them partially.

Charles is going to have to consider more then the next few years as well. When he was picturing slimming down the monarchy he pictured both his sons and their wives as the older royals retired. Now the question is does Harry come back full time down the line when his brother is king and needs back up? Or does William need to look else where? Posibly one of the York girls.

Had a bit of through on this - sent out a bit of emails and this is what we came up with for the royal funding problem.

Here is my list of possible funding for the Sussex's:
1. Disney deal - Harry can do a Save Africa documentary. Do a David Atterburgh/ Bear turn. Megan can do Inspirational women and then they can always do Megan and Harry save the World about their charities and such.
2. Cosmetics/ Fashion/ Fragrances/ Luxury Goods - I think this is very much where Meghan wants to play. Release a line of clothes with her friends. Think of how the Beckhams and Kardashians do it.
3. Members of boards - potential especially as they age.
4. Memoirs, Talking Dates ect - Like the Obama and Clintons. I expect Harry& Meghan to especially be involved here on issues that are close to his heart. I also expect a magazine or similar like O.

All of these options can be done within the byline of doing charity work. Many celebrities do exactly that.

The problem is with conflicts within the royals already - for example if Harry is the new face of Audi and Charles and William drive Land Rover. It will also throw the whole supporting British talent, trade and exports into dispute. But many of asked exactly who's minor royals do they want to be - the UK's, the Commonwealth or the worlds? Essential every 'royal' duty they do, can and will be looked at as them potential looking for money.

The reality is these two will have plenty of offers in any field.

Even strip them of their title, they will. People won't forget he was Prince Harry no matter what name he goes by. Might get them more business, as the former royal turned black sheep.

Look at Fergie. And these two are young, attractive, popular and Smart.

There is no conflict with brands. William and Charles don't get free land rovers as product endorsers. They choose to drive them.

There are plenty of commonwealth brands and businesses they can work with. And keep their link to the British and commonwealth through the charity work they continue. There are plenty of British born designers and business's with offices in the USA or Canada instead as well.

They likely had offers long before they made this choice. Likely one of the deciding factors. They aren't fools, they know his trust and her savings would not bank roll them forever.

Last edited:
I was trying to come up with a list of royal financial dealings for private funding. It is a long tiring and well impossible venture. As we really don't know. Yes - we know that Sarah Ferguson did Weight Watches, Zara Philips did something with land Rover and a pram company. Many people have sold access to Weddings and such. And it was all allowed. Yes - within limit and presumable with the Crown consent.
The thing is Harry and Meghan don't need to be royal, have titles, live in the UK, do duties or have any involvement with the monarchy whatsoever to make money off of their role. That is the way a celebrity obsessed market works. They will also be royals. They hold all the cards. I agree that BP can hold Frogmore up as an attempt to get them to rein in a bit, but essentially they can buy a house anywhere.
Problem - cashing in on past infamous exploits has an expiration date. Eventually the market will tire of them, their target audience will move on to someone younger and more relevant. And yes more attractive, everyone ages. So they have basically 15 years to cash in at most.

Last edited:
Just a note about the requirements to be a Counsellor or State:

1. The spouse of the monarch
2. The first four adults in the line of succession (heir apparent from age 18 and the rest from age 21)
3. MUST be resident in the UK.

So if Harry and Archie are to live in north America they become ineligible to be CoS as they won't be residing in the UK.

At the moment there is no 'time requirement' but I could see that changing. Elsewhere today I saw a suggestion that the Regency Act could be amended to make Catherine Regent for an under age George, rather than Harry. If they were to move in that direction they could easily put a finite time in the UK restriction on the CoS's at the same time.

After pulling that stunt, I doubt we will see Meghan attending a high profile BRF event ever again. She's gone, and she won't return, because her plan has never been to become a bread and butter royal but a royal celebrity superstar. Good luck with that!

No. We have a governor general already and for over the last 50 years, he/she has been a Canadian citizen.The days where a British person including the grandson of our current monarch could be our governor general are long over.

Although I like Harry, I do NOT want him to be our governor general and as a Canadian tax payer, I do not want to be supporting him. I've heard the same from other Canadians.

Speaking with my friends today at lunch it was unanimous that here in America we will greatly welcome Prince Harry and Princess Meghan if they so choose to live here. They are both smart and enjoyable people and its easy to make a small fortune here as long as you already have collateral money which I assume they do. I thought they were treated most unfairly in Great Britain, but there is always an opportunity to change one's way of life. In a way they will be 'our royals', but only in thought and never legally of course....lol.

My apologies to all Canadian's about the GG suggestion. I do understand your sentiments.

After the second world war we had the Duke of Gloucester here as GG and by all accounts that wasn't very successful either.

(...) If things were different, if it was just Harry, or Harry and a spouse who cared about duty and not money and fame, this decision, again if true, would not have happened.
I doubt that Harry does care about fame to be honest. This would be against all he was fighting for (normal life, not being hunted by the press).

Speaking with my friends today at lunch it was unanimous that here in America we will greatly welcome Prince Harry and Princess Meghan if they so choose to live here. They are both smart and enjoyable people and its easy to make a small fortune here as long as you already have collateral money which I assume they do. I thought they were treated most unfairly in Great Britain, but there is always an opportunity to change one's way of life. In a way they will be 'our royals', but only in thought and never legally of course....lol.

I'm sorry but there is no such person as "Princess Meghan" - she is the Duchess of Sussex.

I doubt that Harry does care about fame to be honest. This would be against all he was fighting for (normal life, not being hunted by the press).

We are in agreement on that.
Sadly that is not the life he will have with Meghan by his side, that much has been proven by now

I'm sorry but there is no such person as "Princess Meghan" - she is the Duchess of Sussex.

Her title is Ms. Meghan Markle, at most Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor, she has today proven she is not even worthy of the duchess title.
In my neck of the woods of the globe titles are usually earned through dedication and hard work. She has not shown dedication nor worked hard to Earn! The peerage titles she has gained by simply marrying Harry.

It's been interesting to read the opinion on this thread.

My own view is that Meghan and Harry have obviously been very unhappy for some time. From a humanitarian perspective, its cruel to keep someone in a situation in which they are so obviously unhappy. From a practical point of view people unhappy in their job are generally not going to be effective in that job.

For these reasons I don't have a problem with the Sussex's decision. I do have a problem with how it happened. As many others have said, springing the public announcement on the family was unnecessary and showed no respect for the Queen, Charles or William.

Now that it has happened, I agree with those who have said it must be a clean break rather than the half in/half out version on their web page. I have no problem with them going to live quietly in Canada or the US. I do have a problem with them setting up some sort of rival Court.

Likewise, if they are not working for the Crown then no public funding including from the Duchy, no protection paid for by British (or Canadian) tax payers and commercial rent paid for on Frogmore.

I am also uncomfortable with them using their royal titles for commercial purposes if the income is not going 100% to charity. If they want to endorse products or take speaking engagements and live off the proceeds - even a small amount of those proceeds - then do it as Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor, not as Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

I'm sorry it has come to this and I hope they will be happy in their new life but I can't see that happening, the British Media is not going to be any less intrusive than they are now.

Last edited:
Just a note about the requirements to be a Counsellor or State:

1. The spouse of the monarch
2. The first four adults in the line of succession (heir apparent from age 18 and the rest from age 21)
3. MUST be resident in the UK.

So if Harry and Archie are to live in north America they become ineligible to be CoS as they won't be residing in the UK.
I see; so at this point there is a good chance Beatrice will be added to the list to replace Harry, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom