The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everybody's problem? Harry is a grown man. He is also married with his own family to protect. After how Meghan has been attacked in the press, I cannot believe you all have issue with their decision.

Prince Charles will never cut off his son nor cut off communication with him. Meghan is American and the British news has been horrible to her. I always knew they would buy a home in the US as they should. His wife is American. It's natural.

They will be back and forth between England and the U.S. They will not be gone forever. They will still be in the news just based in North America half the time.

I don’t think the issue is Harry wanting to step back from Royal life. It is more that it looks like Harry and Meghan want to be Royal when it suits them and private people with Royal adjacent commercial projects most of the time.

I think Harry and Meghan have made things very difficult for themselves. Why couldn’t they have issued a few more photos of Archie? Most people will post photos of babies on Facebook or Instagram, although admittedly they’re not going to attract worldwide interest. Why couldn’t they have named his godparents – what was the big secret? It’s hardly as if the press were going to go round and hound them: I doubt most people could even name one of the Cambridge children’s godparents. Nobody has bullied them. They’ve just received some criticism, which everyone in the public eye does – it’s not pleasant, but, if you are in the public eye, whether you are a royal, a politician, a sports player, an actor, a singer or anyone else, then that’s just part of it, and you have to learn to ignore it. I don’t suppose Kate enjoyed having topless photos of herself published in trashy magazines across the world, and some of the stuff that’s been said about Camilla is horrendous. If you want to step out of the limelight completely, as Princess Beatrice seems to be doing, then that’s fine, but you can’t have your cake and eat it.

Well said. It was just plain weird that they couldn't do things like let the press know when Meghan went into labor, the photo op on the hospital steps that everyone's grown to expect, the occasional actual color photo and not arty teasers. What's the harm in any of those? Why must the christening be ultra-ultra private? Did they do all this just to be different? If so, it was foolish, because it set people's back up INCLUDING royal reporters. "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." If you think they're against you, why wave a red flag in front of them? And the RF exist by grace of the public, so throwing a bone in the form of photo ops once in a while is right and proper. They just don't seem to get it.

I think Charles really needs to come out and support his son or make some sort of statement now.

I think he’s waiting until the statement has something to say. Right now, it would just add to the confusion and be misinterpreted no matter what.

Reactions: RJC
Reading through their idiotic finance section and the talks about what imo is essentially selling themselves out for money - influencer style -made me remember the foundation panel they all did together and the question about disagreements and if it was resolved (with Harry or William asking “is it” resolved- I remember we all went “mmm odd and awkward). I wonder if this is part of the reason for the split from the foundation: Meghan wanted to merch (as a friend says) and make money that way and William put his foot down vetoing the **** out of it (because this is not how royalty operates) and Harry got annoyned Meghan stupid idea was not being accepted and...

I'm going to present a thought here that has crossed my sleep deprived old timer's head. Perhaps I'm off beam but I can assure that my head is not where a lot of people think it may be and I have a doctor's note from my last colonoscopy. :D

About "merching" as a way to create income for the Sussex venture. Do we absolutely know for positive that this "merching" is to line their own pockets and provide an income for them *or* perhaps are they thinking of doing the same thing the Royal Collection Trust has been doing for years with their gift shops? The profits are used to support and maintain the Royal Collection.

To help their foundation become "financially independent, they could offer "trademarked" items for sale through their charities and patronages and incentives where the profits keep the foundation in the black and even sometimes for a specific fundraising event, offer items. We know how fast the demand for Archie's little hat shot up and that was a positive effect. I still have somewhere in the recesses of my closet a "Live Aid" T-shirt from a donation long ago that raised 127 million dollars for starving people in Africa. Is it remotely possible that the "merching" would have an altruistic connotation to it?

There have been a lot of negativity surrounding this latest bombshell dropped and there's also been positive reactions to it also. As I see it, right now we don't really have a *real* clue how this will all be ironed out and put into effect or what ramifications and repercussions will be the result. We seem to think we know what it looks like but I'm hoping that it will be resolved in a timely matter to the satisfaction of not only the Sussexes but also with the Monarchy and Harry's family.

One thing I think we pretty much can count on is that the Queen is the master of diplomacy and I'm hoping she's taught her son well over the years. Do what is best not only for the monarchy itself, but also for the well being of Harry and Meghan and Archie and come up with solutions that appeal to everyone involved.

Maybe I'm being a tad bit optimistic but I do believe that Harry and Meghan are a huge asset to the British monarchy but they're also not puppets on a string to dance to music that causes them strife and discord and unhappiness. I'm going to sit back and watch and wait. Put me in the "I'm tailgating with the middle of the road camp".

It’s really bad optics imo to come back to the UK, drop a very public bombshell and then leave.

And by leaving Archie in Canada it’s pretty obvious, press or no press, they weren’t planning on waiting for a cohesive plan to come together that had the backing of BP.

If this is what they want, so be it. But this has been handled in an incredibly poor manner by them imo.

It is tough to know who is saying what. The Penny Junors and Richard Kays et al all seem to be making quick bucks off of this … which sort of proves the point the Sussexes were making.

IMO, Harry and Meghan have to realize that monetizing Royal titles is not good for The Crown. They should have spent time with BP staff striking a balance that works for everyone. This young couple seems to be going down the Fergie path: candles, mantras, umpteen meetings with "businessmen" who may or may not like massages.

Even Harry's dad got pulled in by shady figures. Bishop Ball, Jimmy Savile … Harry and Meghan have to watch out for wealthy unsavory characters who want to be associated with the legitimacy of The Royal Family.

They could have made their announcement from anywhere i the world if it had been sanctioned and approved by the Queen and Prince Charles, and Prince William but clearly it was not. If ONE of them needs to remain behind to deal with the mess they have created, it would have to be Harry. There is no way the Queen, Prince Charles or William would have conducted Meetings or negotiated with Meghan by herself in this crises. HE is the Grandson, Son, and brother of the current and future monarchs. Meghan may be driving much of this bizarre behavior because she can’t deal with the pressure, but only Harry can man up and bridge the chasm they have created within the family. Meghan has been part of this family for less than two years, and look where we are now.

I know their OT but given the disaster that is happening because of her..
I wonder if any of this is making all of the people who vlified her father and family (not necessarily without full reason for some of them) stop and rethink her family statements about her?
I know this is certainly making me reconsider some of Samantha warning (a lot of which I cringed because I thought it was the mere words of a bitter sister.. and i’m as far from a Meghan fan as can be.

I think Hallo girl was being sarcastic. Some people disbelieving certain media outlets are promoting the tales put forth by those men.;)
In that case I apologize to Hallo girl.

I literally shudder whenever I see a link to the Daily Mail. Good grief, even Wikipedia forbids its editors from using it as a source !!

I'm actually not seeing much criticism of Meghan and Harry wanting to step back from royal duties, aside from a very few sources. The outrage seems to be mostly about how the entire announcement was handled, and the wish list/demands/assumptions on the Sussex website. The general consensus seems to be for them to go if they need or want to, but that they owed both the Queen and the PoW a more considerate, orderly and dignified process, and that criticism is coming both from people who have been highly critical or hostile in the past, as well as people who have admired or defended them in the past.

Samantha... She literally was posting racist cartoons of Meghan and Doria on her twitter account. I don't care what one thinks of Meghan but to even take her (a woman who had all her children removed from her care) serious just says so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is tough to know who is saying what. The Penny Junors and Richard Kays et al all seem to be making quick bucks off of this … which sort of proves the point the Sussexes were making.

IMO, Harry and Meghan have to realize that monetizing Royal titles is not good for The Crown. They should have spent time with BP staff striking a balance that works for everyone. This young couple seems to be going down the Fergie path: candles, mantras, umpteen meetings with "businessmen" who may or may not like massages.

Even Harry's dad got pulled in by shady figures. Bishop Ball, Jimmy Savile … Harry and Meghan have to watch out for wealthy unsavory characters who want to be associated with the legitimacy of The Royal Family.

Prince Charles sells Duchy Organics in Waitrose. The Queen sells official royal items in RCT. The Cambridges trademarked on the same day as the Sussexes.

More on Meghan’s return to Canada.

Dan Wooten is claiming the Sussexes are already in talks for commercial projects.
I need to go back to my early posts and see what the timeline I gave this train wreck before it will hit the station..
I can’t imagine even my predictions were this early!

Seriously.
Go ahead meg, merch your to your heart content, you’ve achieved what you desired most your all adulthood life: world [in]famous[y], just please free the child and husband, I mean he has done his part has he not? Skyrocket you to where you couldn’t reach by [...] acting skills self.

I’m so mad at this ****, it’s infuriating and painful to watch to be honest.
This is the one thing this past two years I hoped deeply I was sooo wrong about.
But it’s nice to know my instincts and deductions skills were still working even as I was going through hardship and personal upheavals and changes.

It surprises me how it all unraveled in such a short time and how quick she was to bail out. Was Meghan ever committed to making it work ? Or did she really have completely unrealistic expectations of royal life and how she would be able to operate as. a member of the family ? I don’t buy the latter.

One surely wonders the urgency of this entire mess. The terms they seek and Meghan flying the coop with lightning speed. What a tangled web my goodness. Hoping that it gets sorted out somehow, I can’t help but think they haven’t been completely honest to the family and that another “bomb, round 2” will happen when they reunite wherever that is.

The trademarking is not really that shocking. People are taking a leap but most people trademark just to protect their name and image. Could it lead to more? Of course but it can just as easily not. It is all assumptions right now.

I also agree that I the way in which they posted the statement rubbed many the wrong way but it also impressed others who might not have such a devoted view of the monarchy. There are people posting plenty of polls and opinions off the streets and to say there is a wide range would be an understatement.

I'm actually not seeing much criticism of Meghan and Harry wanting to step back from royal duties, aside from a very few sources. The outrage seems to be mostly about how the entire announcement was handled, and the wish list/demands/assumptions on the Sussex website. The general consensus seems to be for them to go if they need or want to, but that they owed both the Queen and the PoW a more considerate, orderly and dignified process, and that criticism is coming both from people who have been highly critical or hostile in the past, as well as people who have admired or defended them in the past.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about this whole affair.

From what I understand the reason they released the statement was due to the leak to the tabloids. Personally I wish they would of waited to release it.

Also seeing reports now they were told several weeks ago they would not be part of the streamlined Monarchy, IF true perhaps this is what encouraged them to decide to try and find a new way to stay in some way working for the Firm but also do more of their own projects ...it's not unheard of for members of the family (working members) to live in other countries part of the time.

I agree if Archie was in Canada they only planned to be in the UK a short time and then head back. However I'm not sure that really matters in these days of technology. I've seen reports Meghan is gone back and that they are both gone back. Not sure which is accurate.

My guess there is A LOT going on we don't know about. All we are seeing is the tip of the ice burg and ppl are making some pretty wild and extreme comments...none of us know what's really up.

LaRae

There is a lot we don’t know. I find it difficult to believe Charles wasn’t planning on including Harry. The RF is about to get much smaller naturally due to the ages of most members.

And it’s been pretty obvious that in the future the RF was going to be to smaller- just based on the York’s and Wessex’s children. Streamlining has already begun. Perhaps he was planning on going even smaller. But for all the rumors about Charles wanting to streamline things, Harry not being part of it was never mentioned that I recall. Really- it just puts more pressure on William and Kate. Who knows though.

Realistically if Charles wanted this- a logical time to bring up the subject would be when Harry got engaged. I mean- if this is what he wanted- I’m sure it didn’t just pop into his head last month, coincidentally when Harry and Meghan were publicly unhappy and obviously considering or actively planning this move. It doesn’t make much sense to have Meghan join the firm full time and have her give up everything iif that wasn’t his intention long term.

I find it very difficult to believe they didn’t plan on being in the U.K. when they dropped the bombshell. That tells me they planned on dropping this public bomb almost immediately after arriving, regardless of any possible leaks. And even so- stuff is leaked all the time. The respectful thing to do would be to wait until all parties were ready with a cohesive plan AND they weren’t getting blindsided by the public announcement. There is zero excuse for the latter imo.

I wonder what Philip thinks.

Prince Charles sells Duchy Organics in Waitrose. The Queen sells official royal items in RCT. The Cambridges trademarked on the same day as the Sussexes.

There is nothing wrong with merchandising per se. It is what happens to the money raised.

Charles' money from Duchy Organics goes to The Prince's Trust. The money The Queen gets via the items in the Palaces goes to maintain the Royal Collection.

This money doesn't go to support them.

This is what some people are now suggesting the Sussex's intend on doing - selling Sussex Royal stuff but keeping some or all of the proceeds for themselves rather than using ALL of it for their causes. If they do use all the proceeds from any Sussex Royal products for their chosen causes there won't be a problem but there will be if they are keeping some of that money for their own lifestyle.

I do think that Charles intended on keeping his siblings and sons as working royals but not cousins - hence no working roles for the York princesses but he wasn't going to throw away his siblings and then Andrew happened.

Now Harry has something to consider. If the second son of the current monarch can be thrown out so can the second son of the next monarch - 'better to get out now while I can still do something with my life rather than wait to be thrown out'.

I am also sure that Meghan was pushing things from very early as she seemed to want to be a celebrity and not a royal and no one was able to make her understand the difference. I think she found things like curtseying to her grandmother-in-law something culturally foreign and having to always be aware of where she actually fitted in terms of protocol.

I do think the cultural clash between an American actress and a British prince was too much to cross and so Harry has had to chose - my immediate family, wife and son, over my extended family, father, brother etc. He has chosen his wife and son.

I do think though that it needs to be a full break - not half-in, half-out. No funding from the British at all, no 'royal engagements' in the CC (other than the real biggies like Trooping that even Beatrice and Eugenie and the Michael's of Kent attend). That is the level they have decided to be - the very minor royals so let them.

The facts as I see them.
Harry and Meghan have been horribly bullied to the point where we now are seeing these current events as desperation by them.

Harry and Meghan are a young modern couple trying to find their way within the royal firm.
And yes they are going to make mistakes. So they learn from these mistakes and carry on.

Prince Charles has learnt how to be tough over the years, but he is fair. And I am sure he will treat them with compassion while they work out a solution to the current situation.

The Queen is the toughest of them all. She will offer guidance and a level head and she will be very fair with Harry and Meghan.
Like Osipi I believe we need to wait while BP works something out with H & M.

And we must never forget as 2020 marches on, that much of what has been reported is pure speculation or made up narrative. And that is the problem , as people end up with an unrealistic view of this couple. Some bits are true facts sure. However, there is plenty that is just made up speculation.

So allow me to speculate and say that if Canada's parliament agree, then Perhaps Prince Harry could take the roll of Governor General. Which is the Queens representative. It would be a good fit for them.

Do they even have a pulse over there in Monaco, Charlene is still the consort right? :D

I'm fairly conservative but am an Independent voter...and I am not a feminist in the sense of the word today... I am getting really annoyed at the 'poor Harry manipulated by his wife' crap. Harry's never been known to be any sort of shrinking weak personality.

LaRae
A close friend was the strongest person I knew; no issues, had the misfortune of dating a narcissist for a long time, it was terrible watching the early stages knowing something was not right in that relationship but none of us understanding what it was, and then connection was severed with us all with the instance of said bastard). Only now after he has fled the relationship and has sought therapy to handle the abuse did he realize, as did we his friends who has happily reconnected, understand what was happening.

Even the strongest person can be manipulated when it is done the right and their weakness are used as a weapon to weaken them.

Last edited:
Another point that keeps sticking out for me...all of this surely must cause a lot of people, myself included, to put a bit more stock in all those rumblings about Meghan ruthlessly cutting off those she deems no longer useful to her. Yes, her family is horrid and clearly unstable but in most cases, where there's smoke there's fire and goodness knows there's been lots of smoke around her for a long time. I have to say that even though I've long seen and commented on the warning signs, this has all driven home very clearly the point that there might just be something to all those stories.

And finally, their de facto mouthpiece has been quoted in People magazine talking about all of this and their reasons and if their settlement has not yet been finalized I don't believe he's done them any favors. He states in no uncertain terms that they're prepared for it all to be taken away and they're even accepting of the fact that they no longer have the right to represent the BRF.
https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...hey-are-being-driven-out-says-friend-its-sad/

Deleted

LaRae

Last edited:
Very interesting that the Funding page on sussexroyal.com is now blank. It's not returning a 404 (page not found), which I find more interesting...

I wonder if they're about to announce initiatives or projects?

Another point that keeps sticking out for me...all of this surely must cause a lot of people, myself included, to put a bit more stock in all those rumblings about Meghan ruthlessly cutting off those she deems no longer useful to her. Yes, her family is horrid and clearly unstable but in most cases, where there's smoke there's fire and goodness knows there's been lots of smoke around her for a long time. I have to say that even though I've long seen and commented on the warning signs, this has all driven home very clearly the point that there might just be something to all those stories.

And finally, their de facto mouthpiece has been quoted in People magazine talking about all of this and their reasons and if their settlement has not yet been finalized I don't believe he's done them any favors. He states in no uncertain terms that they're prepared for it all to be taken away and they're even accepting of the fact that they no longer have the right to represent the BRF.
https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...hey-are-being-driven-out-says-friend-its-sad/

As for "cutting people off" well some of the closest people in her life have been by her side for close to two decades. She considers them her family. Not the crazy ones who people want to claim because they happen to share blood. Even before Meghan knew Harry she called herself an only child and said her "besties" were her sisters. Even during this break they were by their side.

I don't claim she doesn't cut people out or has qualms of doing it but she has many long term relationships to challenge that.

Last edited:
Very interesting that the Funding page on sussexroyal.com is now blank. It's not returning a 404 (page not found), which I find more interesting...

I wonder if they're about to announce initiatives or projects?

It's working for me.

LaRae

Speaking of Harry's engagement next week...I really have to wonder if that will actually happen. This has all blown up so spectacularly that it really seems like it might not even be fair to the organization because so much attention will be on Harry and the drama rather than on the actual organization that should be benefitting from their association with him. I really can't say that I would be even a teeny tiny bit surprised to hear over the next couple of days that he's backed out or that another member of the RF will be handling that engagement.

While Harry has been open about his past mental health issues, we have no idea what he is currently going through. So let's not start speculating on his current mental state. Comments about that and about the future of the Sussex marriage, have been deleted.

Last edited:
Speaking of Harry's engagement next week...I really have to wonder if that will actually happen. This has all blown up so spectacularly that it really seems like it might not even be fair to the organization because so much attention will be on Harry and the drama rather than on the actual organization that should be benefitting from their association with him. I really can't say that I would be even a teeny tiny bit surprised to hear over the next couple of days that he's backed out or that another member of the RF will be handling that engagement.

I wondered that myself. It may well depend if they have a plan by then.

Well the RF are rapidly running low on alternatives. That’s 3 senior royals unexpectedly out in about a month. Assuming they get to be part time, that goes from 3 to maybe the equivalent of 1. While I think it’s clear the RF knew the Sussex’s wishes, by most, if not all, accounts not long enough to even begin to really process it all.

The timing was terrible, though Andrew’s problems are what they are. Still I’m sure everyone is thrilled to be jumping from one public mess to another. And hours before Catherine’s birthday. Goodness.

Harry's a grown man. He made his decisions right or wrong and he'll have to live with them. This narrative that he is led astray by the American jezebel is nonsense. Perhaps Harry chose his wife and son over his royal family because he found that some may not have been as supportive as wanted or needed. The Markles? Please. Bitter relatives with credibility issues. That bunch is belly aching because if Meghan and Harry are out as royals (as it stands no) there goes the gravy train for them.

Hmmmm...I'm viewing it from my samsung galaxy tab, using Chrome. Perhaps I need an upgraded Galaxy tab? :D:D:D

Try I Phone!! :D I'm on my desktop (Apple) using Chrome ...just now checked again and refreshed the page...it's working!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom