The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a gray area. it wasn't never officially announced.

It’s not a grey area. His parents have custody of him. There is zero precedent for anything else.

Prince & Princess Michael as well as Beatrice & Eugenie, plus to a much lesser extent the Duchess of Kent are all royal but are free to live the lives of non working royals, although obviously none are as famous as the Sussexes.

If H&M had announced at the time of marriage their intention to live private lives in Canada then people would have accepted this.

It is sad, but the signs were there but if anybody dared to say anything they were shot down called horrible names that we should for one minute question Meghans motive or action.
I am struggling to believe that every single person who ever said or wrote something negative either in newsprint ir SM has had an ulterior nasty agenda.

That is simultaneously the worst and saddest article I’ve ever read - and it makes me furious. Harry and Meghan are immature, jealous brats. To be triggered by a lovely family photo? As if his father and grandmother don’t deeply love him ? Them? Jealous probably of his little nephew ?

I was annoyed when they chose to spend Christmas away from Sandringham -who knows how much longer his grandparents have, and they’d already spent Thanksgiving with Doria. I said it before - Harry has chosen Meghan over his own family. Charles and the Queen did their best to make her feel welcome, but I guess it wasn’t enough - nothing would have been enough.

The Sussexes are coming across as cold, nasty, calculating, vindictive. My heart breaks especially for Charles - it is his son, after all - and of course the Queen...William, the rest of the BRF...and even the public. This is not the warm, funny little boy they took to their hearts and watched grow up.

I think the BRF will be fine, they’ll emerge better off than H and M...but it will be a much sadder family.
Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail or any other tabloid. They aim for sensationalism not accuracy.

Reading through their idiotic finance section and the talks about what imo is essentially selling themselves out for money - influencer style -made me remember the foundation panel they all did together and the question about disagreements and if it was resolved (with Harry or William asking “is it” resolved- I remember we all went “mmm odd and awkward). I wonder if this is part of the reason for the split from the foundation: Meghan wanted to merch (as a friend says) and make money that way and William put his foot down vetoing the **** out of it (because this is not how royalty operates) and Harry got annoyned Meghan stupid idea was not being accepted and...

Second thing, about earning money via merching. And this is pure night shift speculation on my part so humor me: There is a website that is dedicated to Meghan’s outfits, they have long admitted to having a mutual friend with Jessica. It has been theorized that the girls running the site were doing so with Meghan and/or Jessica full approval potentionally making money off of it, as they have been able to upload info about Meghan outfits often within mere minutes after Meghan is seen in it. I’m indulging in crazy theory, but given recent tantrum i can’t help but wonder if there has been truth to this theory/hunch I have seen being floated around in many Brf boards online.

It tells us that she had no intention of staying, all the talk about back to work when they visited Canada house was misleading. She has left the country.

I truly wish Charles and William lots of wisdom in negotiating something that will protect the firm from the worst.

That smacks of extortion. I hope Charles stands fast and doesn't give them a penny.

I hope they are forced to give up their titles so they can't commercialize the royal Sussex brand.
And then Charles and the Queen can kick them to the curb and forbid any royal funding.

It tells us that she had no intention of staying, all the talk about back to work when they visited Canada house was misleading. She has left the country.

Their written intentions tell us they aren't leaving permanently, that they want to still work in the UK on various engagements.

Nothing said to CH was misleading.

LaRae

I just saw this and was about to post it. I’m not sure what to think about it, but the fact they say to become “financially independent” struck me as odd. Sounds like they’re wanting to commercialize all things Sussex related which just makes me

They are Independently wealthy, now. Meghan is worth a great deal of money and Harry inherited a very large sum of money from his Mother, they don't need to cash in on anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Daily Mail Group is being sued for dishonesty. It’s disgusting that tabloid is allowed to continue to spread false info about the Sussexes.

All the campaigns against bullying are meaningless, it’s Heartbreaking that no one will help the Sussexes fight against press abuse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy!!!
My concern is now what has always been my concern with allowing them to live abroad: that should Harry decide to come back she will not allow him to take Harrison. Being in the UK gave Harry more power in terms of potential full custody (because despite it all I still believe when separated Harry is the better choice to raise the child in Britain with his family).

Yes, I agree, it is weird. I suspect it has to do with her friendship with Jessica Mulroney.

I did feel somewhat sympathetic to Meghan at the beginning, but I also sensed she was seeking celebrity more than anything else. I've noticed over the years that the younger royals have been portrayed as celebrities in the media, especially in the U.S., where there is no monarchy, so this is how Meghan viewed royal life. She now apparently is going to use her new royal title as a platform to be a celebrity influencer.

I think you hit on something. There was a quote in, I think, The Evening Standard, that the Sussexes see themselves as able to reach a younger demographic than the BRF. I wonder if "seeking celebrity more than anything else" was on William's mind and was the start of the rift between them.

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail or any other tabloid. They aim for sensationalism not accuracy.

They’re essentially reporting what everyone else does. I know from tabloids - coming from NY - and I believe this.

That smacks of extortion. I hope Charles stands fast and doesn't give them a penny.

I hope they are forced to give up their titles so they can't commercialize the royal Sussex brand.
And then Charles and the Queen can kick them to the curb and forbid any royal funding.

They may deserve it, but I don’t think it will happen. I believe the RF will try to agree some arrangement with the Sussexes that will attend at least part of their wish list. It may seem like rewarding bad behavior or surrendering to blackmail, but the Firm probably sees it as damage control.

Besides, I think Charles in particular , in addition to having a connection with his son, still sees H&M as potential allies in the future . I won’ t go any further than that because it would be speculative and off-topic.

Coming out of lurkdom because this topic moves me, thanks for the great read.

I don't know what the British tabloids wrote about Meghan, it must have been tough - in Europe, she still gets mostly positive press. Which is of course no good to her.

The problem is that she can't solve problems with the press in the way she's used to. When she complains or explains, the press uses it as new fodder. In that sense, her African interview was a huge mistake because it made her look self indulgent and whiny - she had lots of opportunities in Africa to put her own problems into perspective. But how tough is it to swallow unfair criticism (or even fair criticism) without being able to answer! I really don't know how they do it.

So I can totally understand why Meghan and Harry both want to climb down from that crazy train.

But what I don't understand is HOW they do that.

If you want to get less attention, don't seek attention. If you want to recede into the background, don't flounce, don't make statements. Just prepare your refuge quietly, make sure you are supported, and make as little waves as possible. It's possible.

By standing in front of the whole world and announcing: we quit!, they make HUGE waves.

And I suspect they're not troubled by press scrutiny, only by NEGATIVE scrutiny. If they really want to make their brand to money (although they're very rich), they will need attention, they will need to generate excitement around themselves.

If they become a huge lifestyle brand a la GOOP - why should the Duchy of Cornwall pay for them? Why should they use the name of Sussex if they never do anything for Sussex?

They did it the wrong way around IMO. They should have left the room so quietly that nobody notices they're gone.

If they really wanted privacy, that's what they would have done.

I'm sad. I had high hopes for Meghan, I thought she could make an interesting royal duchess.

And I'm sad for Harry's grandparents who have such troubles at their age.

A pity. Couldn't they have carried on a bit more, for his grandparents' sake?

Sorry, I had nothing new to say but enjoyed the discussion, so i de-lurked :)

I agree 100% with your comments about how Harry & Megan should have gone about achieving the privacy they claim to want so much. IMO there is absolutely no reason for all this public drama except that they want it to maximize attention on their "new brand" & as leverage to force the Queen's hand to let them go on their terms.

I also agree that it is very sad for the Queen & Prince Philip. This must be painful beyond words for them- their grandson turning his back on them in this very public way.

What I now think of the Sussexes can't be posted here, I'd be permanently banned.

Prince & Princess Michael as well as Beatrice & Eugenie, plus to a much lesser extent the Duchess of Kent are all royal but are free to live the lives of non working royals, although obviously none are as famous as the Sussexes.

If H&M had announced at the time of marriage their intention to live private lives in Canada then people would have accepted this.

I think you are right. Absolutely right.

I also think that Meghan's aspirations were for fame and fortune which makes her no better or worse than many, many people past present and future.

Its the utter hubris and disregard for the BRF that is by turns both disappointing and nauseating.

Harry may eventually recover from this from a PR perspective but I don't think Meghan will. The ghost of Wallis looms large on both sides of the pond. Don't get me wrong, I think she will live well and make coin and enjoy celebrity but will probably never be generally respected or admired. Can she move sales for Givenchy? Sure, more power to her.

But it could have been so very different.

It' related to the position of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as part of the members of the Royal Family, members of the family of the Head of State and public figures performing duties for the Head of State and as such for the British government.
It shows, again if needed, the utter amateurism of their announcement, ans how some temper tantrum is becomig a constitutional crisis.
I say well done, like if No 10 had nothing else to think about ...

I agree.

Harry and Meghan seem to be backward in their thinking on two points. First, as members of the BRF, they don’t tell the organization their plans. They ask nicely and, if they are given a hard no, they accept it and move on. If they are told maybe but let’s discuss it further to see what can be worked out then they respectfully argue their case on a timeline set by the royal family and their advisors. If any of their wishes are granted it goes without saying the plan will be enacted at a time of the BRF’s choosing, in a manner in which the royal family sees best. Harry and Meghan are very much the junior partners in this situation because of point number two - the British Royal Family is not a family run chain of grocery stores all the heirs get to fight over. It’s more like a huge multinational corporation that also happens to be an integral part of British history, culture and, most importantly, government. The Queen is the Head of State. Every time Harry and Meghan act in their official capacity as working royals they are representing HER. In turn, she, and by extension her family, are accountable to Parliament. The government was involved in working out the details of Charles and Diana’s divorce, it was very much involved in making plans in the aftermath of Diana’s death, it is involved in every major royal wedding and funeral. It was and will continue to be involved in decisions regarding The Duke of York. And you better believe it will from here on in be very involved in dealing with Harry and Meghan.

To put it in terms The Sussexes are likely to understand: they are on the brink of knowingly damaging the UK’s oldest, most recognizable, most profitable brand. They’re about to find out what it’s like to deal with powerful people who aren’t Pa and Grannie.

I think you are right. Absolutely right.

I also think that Meghan's aspirations were for fame and fortune which makes her no better or worse than many, many people past present and future.

Its the utter hubris and disregard for the BRF that is by turns both disappointing and nauseating.

Harry may eventually recover from this from a PR perspective but I don't think Meghan will. The ghost of Wallis looms large on both sides of the pond. Don't get me wrong, I think she will live well and make coin and enjoy celebrity but will probably never be generally respected or admired. Can she move sales for Givenchy? Sure, more power to her.

But it could have been so very different.

It surprises me how it all unraveled in such a short time and how quick she was to bail out. Was Meghan ever committed to making it work ? Or did she really have completely unrealistic expectations of royal life and how she would be able to operate as. a member of the family ? I don’t buy the latter.

Last edited:
Their written intentions tell us they aren't leaving permanently, that they want to still work in the UK on various engagements.

Nothing said to CH was misleading.

LaRae

It’s really bad optics imo to come back to the UK, drop a very public bombshell and then leave.

And by leaving Archie in Canada it’s pretty obvious, press or no press, they weren’t planning on waiting for a cohesive plan to come together that had the backing of BP.

If this is what they want, so be it. But this has been handled in an incredibly poor manner by them imo.

What is everybody's problem? Harry is a grown man. He is also married with his own family to protect. After how Meghan has been attacked in the press, I cannot believe you all have issue with their decision.

Prince Charles will never cut off his son nor cut off communication with him. Meghan is American and the British news has been horrible to her. I always knew they would buy a home in the US as they should. His wife is American. It's natural.

They will be back and forth between England and the U.S. They will not be gone forever. They will still be in the news just based in North America half the time.

Last edited:
They’re essentially reporting what everyone else does. I know from tabloids - coming from NY - and I believe this.
If five people repeat the same lie that doesn't make it true. It's possible Rebecca English simply borrowed part of her story from other (unverified) sources as way of making her article appear more credible.

Last edited:
Ive actually seen a lot of people be very understanding of this move in the UK including my many friends and family there.

I am sad but not surprised to see the vitriol many are spewing at this couple here. More of the same. Lots of folks believing lock, stock and barrel whatever line the "palace' (or supposed palace) and the British Media, a culpable party in this mess, is trotting out--despite the fact that said headlines and "exclusives" literally change by the minute. First the Queen knew nothing. Oh well she knew something but not REALLY. Oh well now these talks have been going on for months! Oh but actually the Queen knew everything and actually forced Harry and Meg out. One moment Harry was triggered by a photo, the next we are told he was central to the future of the family. Next we are told something different. Harry has shown time and again he is devoted to his family and perfectly understands his role. But that narrative doesn't fit the petulant prince one that many in the press want to cement to justify their campaign.

I can’t speak for other forum members, but my opinions are based on the Sussex website outlining their impractical plan, BP’s terse response and Meghan leaving the country today.
It wasn’t hard to connect the dots. No other info was needed.

What is everybody's problem? Harry is a grown man. He is also married with his own family to protect. After how Meghan has been attacked in the press, I cannot believe you all have issue with their decision.

Prince Charles will never cut off his son nor cut off communication with him. Meghan is American and the British news has been horrible to her. I always knew they would buy a home in the US as they should. His wife is American. It's natural.

They will be back and forth between England and the U.S. They will not be gone forever. They will still be in the news just based in North America half the time.

They plan to live in Canada , not the US , and you obviously have not been following the news or this thread to appreciate what the issues with their announcement are.

What is everybody's problem? Harry is a grown man. He is also married with his own family to protect. After how Meghan has been attacked in the press, I cannot believe you all have issue their decision.

Prince Charles will never cut off his son nor cut off communication with him.

I fail to see how this really changes anything with the press. The press is still going to talk about them. They’re not even giving up their public roles. They’re stepping back from being senior royals. Even if they did give up being royals, the press would still talk about them. They sell.

I’m sure Charles won’t either. This is his son and family. For personal and professional reasons, I expect him to try to find a compromise that works.

Last edited:
It’s really bad optics imo to come back to the UK, drop a very public bombshell and then leave.

And by leaving Archie in Canada it’s pretty obvious, press or no press, they weren’t planning on waiting for a cohesive plan to come together that had the backing of BP.

If this is what they want, so be it. But this has been handled in an incredibly poor manner by them imo.

From what I understand the reason they released the statement was due to the leak to the tabloids. Personally I wish they would of waited to release it.

Also seeing reports now they were told several weeks ago they would not be part of the streamlined Monarchy, IF true perhaps this is what encouraged them to decide to try and find a new way to stay in some way working for the Firm but also do more of their own projects ...it's not unheard of for members of the family (working members) to live in other countries part of the time.

I agree if Archie was in Canada they only planned to be in the UK a short time and then head back. However I'm not sure that really matters in these days of technology. I've seen reports Meghan is gone back and that they are both gone back. Not sure which is accurate.

My guess there is A LOT going on we don't know about. All we are seeing is the tip of the ice burg and ppl are making some pretty wild and extreme comments...none of us know what's really up.

LaRae

It surprises me how it all unraveled in such a short time and how quick she was to bail out. Was Meghan ever committed to making it work ? Or did she really have completely unrealistic expectations of royal life and how she would be able to operate as. a member of the family ? I don’t buy the latter.

Or maybe there is another element that is happening that we don't know or maybe some don't want to believe is capable of being true.

I mean right now people are seeing what's happening and have their opinion based on a various of things but frankly none of us know what has really occurred behind these closed doors. You might think "A" happened. I could think "B" did when actually "G" is the real story but it won't matter because minds have been made up.

People are sometimes surprised to discover that what we assumed to be might not be the reality. And some learn that the hard way. All that said the situation is sad overall and I hope for everyone's sake they come to a conclusion that doesn't completely destroy whatever is left of these relationships.

There has clearly been a break down in trust across the board.

I think Charles really needs to come out and support his son or make some sort of statement now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom