The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has certainly seemed like a differnet man since he got together with Meghan.. was the old jolly japes, fun loving, casual Harry not the real person? now he's this earnest depressed man who seems to follow his wife's lead on all sorts of things.
Harry is not a man who cannot think for himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or perhaps taking a Toddler on transatlantic jet for a very short time in London is a silly idea. They have trusted friends and a nanny to look after him very well .

Meghan flew to Canda tonight and has no plans to come back to UK anytime soon.
Harry is expected to join her and Archie very soon there but he also has an engagement next Thursday at Buckingham Palace.

If she were a monarch, that could be declared an abdication in some countries ( leaving the realm with no intention of coming back anytime soon).

Of course, she is not a monarch , but the tweet is describing it as Meghan effectively renouncing the UK. I understand she never liked it there to begin with and did not fit, but isn’t that a little dramatic and over the top ?

Last edited:
Not someday, now...in the sense that he’s already being used. The only reason to leave Archie in Canada would be to have a built in excuse for H and M to escape the wrath in Britain. They knew they’d be returning in short order - probably didn’t want to subject him to multiple long flights. I fear that the BRF may never - or almost never - see Archie. Sigh.

I agree. I bet they’ve already got the new house all set up. You know what, they deserve each other.

can’t lose sight of the real people there.

True, true, but the ones I care about aren't the young ones with their health and WHOLE life ahead of them, but the elderly and infirm who have devoted their lives to this country, and who have been USED so despicably.

Not some 'fly by night' who has wafted in and wafted out in a mere three years..

Last edited:
More on Meghan’s return to Canada.

@byEmilyAndrews

Meghan flew back to Vancouver tonight, leaving Harry to face the flak over what their new roles will be. The couple left Archie behind when they jetted into London Monday. “It was always planned as a quick trip, why bring Archie for the jet lag?”. Don’t think M will be back!

Dan Wooten is claiming the Sussexes are already in talks for commercial projects.

Well-placed royal insiders say that despite Buckingham Palace’s assertions that their exit will require a long process with many more decisions, they are already well underway with talks about lucrative new commercial projects.

Meghan is understood to be using her array of fashion industry contacts in a bid to cash in on her worldwide fame — potentially making millions in the process.

The sources say French fashion house Givenchy is included in the discussions.

Source

I anticipate many paparazzi shots of Meghan and Archie in Canada now-----the same child that was so protected that he must not be photographed except at the third full moon following the spring and autumnal equinoxes.....yes, this is rich, really rich.

And strategically stupid because of the obvious turnaround in parenting philosophy.

If she were a monarch, that could be declared an abdication in some countries ( leaving the realm with no intention of coming back anytime soon).

Of course, she is not a monarch , but the tweet is describing it as Meghan effectively renouncing the UK. I understand she never liked it there to begin with and did not fit, but isn’t that a little dramatic and over the top ?
That points to many who stated that it would be necessary for Meghan to first experience what life in the UK was like before making important life decisions such as marrying the son of the future king of that country. If she truly never liked the UK and did never intend to become a UK-based British senior royal she should have made it clear before the wedding; in that case Harry might still have chosen Meghan (which of course many wouldn't have take well) but they nor the BRF would have gone through what they have gone through and are going through now.

...He is clearly IMO a man who can't think for himself. This plan has Meghan all over it and left to himself I think he would stay in the royal job full time.. but He has let Meg chage him, and let her think up this daft plan and now he's not it seems even staying around to defend it...

Dan Wooten is claiming the Sussexes are already in talks for commercial projects.

Based on the 'funding page' that clearly stated that 'earning a professional income' was a priority; this doesn't come as a surprise (if true). They are looking forward to 'cash in'; and I am pretty sure they will with or without title at least for the near future. And after that they will continue to be a huge risk for many decades to come for the BRF. I truly wish Charles and William lots of wisdom in negotiating something that will protect the firm from the worst.

Last edited:
Leaving Archie in Canada while they returned clearly destroys the carefully constructed spin that they HAD to release their statement and roll out their website to get ahead of The Sun's breaking story. There might have been some question of it before but no longer can anyone believe that this hasn't been their intent all along from the moment they headed off to Canada 7 weeks ago.

And it will not help them in their negotiations with the BRF. And this will not help in the court of British public opinion, though I'm fairly certain Meghan doesn't care about that one iota, nor does Harry at this point. I expect he will come to regret this choice as I'm not sure he will ever give Meghan enough to keep her happy.

Yes it seems that Archie was left in Canada with nanny and I suspect Doria. Meghan is on her way back. I do wonder if Harry will make his way to see his father in person or not.

The tweet says that, according to People magazine, Archie was left in Canada with the Mulroneys . I don’t think Doria is involved. She may not be as close to Meghan as some people assume . Did they even spend time together in Canada over the six-week break ? There is no evidence to support that.

True, true, but the ones I care about aren't the young ones with their health and WHOLE life ahead of them, but the elderly and infirm who have devoted their lives to this country, and who have been USED so despicably.

Not some 'fly by night' who has wafted in and wafted out in a mere three years..

This...it’s not just the Queen, Philip, Charles...it’s Harry’s grandparents, his FATHER....I almost feel like Meghan made him choose between his family and hers (her mother), and he’s done so. It makes me wonder if he honestly respects anything his family has done, ever

Coming out of lurkdom because this topic moves me, thanks for the great read.

I don't know what the British tabloids wrote about Meghan, it must have been tough - in Europe, she still gets mostly positive press. Which is of course no good to her.

The problem is that she can't solve problems with the press in the way she's used to. When she complains or explains, the press uses it as new fodder. In that sense, her African interview was a huge mistake because it made her look self indulgent and whiny - she had lots of opportunities in Africa to put her own problems into perspective. But how tough is it to swallow unfair criticism (or even fair criticism) without being able to answer! I really don't know how they do it.

So I can totally understand why Meghan and Harry both want to climb down from that crazy train.

But what I don't understand is HOW they do that.

If you want to get less attention, don't seek attention. If you want to recede into the background, don't flounce, don't make statements. Just prepare your refuge quietly, make sure you are supported, and make as little waves as possible. It's possible.

By standing in front of the whole world and announcing: we quit!, they make HUGE waves.

And I suspect they're not troubled by press scrutiny, only by NEGATIVE scrutiny. If they really want to make their brand to money (although they're very rich), they will need attention, they will need to generate excitement around themselves.

If they become a huge lifestyle brand a la GOOP - why should the Duchy of Cornwall pay for them? Why should they use the name of Sussex if they never do anything for Sussex?

They did it the wrong way around IMO. They should have left the room so quietly that nobody notices they're gone.

If they really wanted privacy, that's what they would have done.

I'm sad. I had high hopes for Meghan, I thought she could make an interesting royal duchess.

And I'm sad for Harry's grandparents who have such troubles at their age.

A pity. Couldn't they have carried on a bit more, for his grandparents' sake?

Sorry, I had nothing new to say but enjoyed the discussion, so i de-lurked :)

Well....well...WELL! The Duchess has placed herself squarely in the Celebrity rather than the Royalty arena. And apparently by design.

There are no words. Who am i kidding---this is TRF---there are always words ;)

Lovely tag teaming by Harry and Meaghan; they planned this out for a long time. They’re coming across as nasty and malicious....

The more commercial they try to be, the more they’ll cheapen their brand. I think it’s the Queen and co. who will emerge with their dignity intact.

Comments about Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein have been deleted. Let’s stick to discussing Meghan and Harry. If you wish to discuss Prince Andrew, please take it to his thread.

Last edited:
ICAM. The "Yoko Markle" crowd has been there from the beginning....and they are on both sides of the spectrum(conservative and progressive).:cool:

What a mess. All I can say is thank goodness I mostly follow a nice, normal, no drama family like the Grimaldi of Monaco! :lol:;)

Do they even have a pulse over there in Monaco, Charlene is still the consort right? :D

I'm fairly conservative but am an Independent voter...and I am not a feminist in the sense of the word today... I am getting really annoyed at the 'poor Harry manipulated by his wife' crap. Harry's never been known to be any sort of shrinking weak personality.

LaRae

I think of Harry being like Diana is not missed on a lot of people. They both admitted to having mental health needs. Heck we all have mental health needs but both of theirs has seemingly been exasperated by their toxic transactions with the press. Diana met Charles. A man without nurturing parents who needed a nurturing wife. She was a damaged child from a complex background and too needed a nurturing partner to provide her with one way emotional support. The relationship was a disaster. William through look I guess met a very nurturing wife and gained in-laws early. Harry met Meghan and unfortunately that relationship has led to a complex public perception and one where both have looked increasingly fragile but also conversely increasingly entitled and volatile and lashing out in public to get what they want. They have a millennial attitude to getting what they want and getting it now. There is no long game and to be honest Meghan and Harry are older millennials anyway. It is all very unfortunate.

Oh no! Don’t you blame them being millennials (FYI Meghan is actually gen X cusp Y- like William and Catherine) for their behavior.

I always said, in the hands of the right woman Harry can thrive (seriously in Meghan place I would have told him to find a profession he loves and go to University and study it, and than talk about retiring from royal duties), the right woman is someone who is stable, and loves her regular non celebrity low-key life; essentially Harry needs imo a Sophie-Catherine mix kind of woman.
But he is still working through his mommy issues so rather than wait he proposed to someone who has all the worst qualities his mother had, but he does not seem to see it because to him that was the normal, because that is all he remembers of his mummy: hugs, unstable mental health + family drama and Hollywood glamour.

This...it’s not just the Queen, Philip, Charles...it’s Harry’s grandparents, his FATHER....I almost feel like Meghan made him choose between his family and hers (her mother), and he’s done so. It makes me wonder if he honestly respects anything his family has done, ever

JMO if I can add to that...often thought Harry had a chip on his shoulder because of his festering grief and anger over his mum. I think perhaps he blames his grandmother and father for the way HE feels she was treated by them. He’s callous behind that smile as he’s proving now, Meghan just makes him feel empowered imo

Yes Harry was told by BP not to go public but the Sun leaked the story (and online fingers are pointing at KP).

Still stirring the pot don't you ? For the record your champion just fled the country by night, so maybe it's time to stop your usual complotism and see what the sterling Sussexes are achieving on their own : a bloody mess.

Tonight i'm just sad. And i don't know why i'm thinking about Charles, the joy on his face when he walked Meghan down the aisle, the obvious tenderness toward Doria, the laughs with Camilla at the Garden Party just days after the wedding, the wonderful pictures of the whole family for his 70th birthday... bet he thought the dark years were well behind him.

And now that.

Disgusted.

We lose Prince Harry

Some anger seeping out. Prince Harry loses his family, his background and his tradition but then we are also losing Harry. He has been an arch-loyalist and kingpin of loyalty to the military. Now this commitment all seems expendable. I think of him as a selfentitled upper class twit but he is OUR public property as a part of The Crown. And by the logic of the monarchy he should be irreplaceable. "We" raised him, cared about him, we kind of housed him and always followed him along the way loyal to him as he seemed to be to us (paying the bills too). We rejoiced (or semi rejoiced) at the wedding we threw for him and at the happy appearance of a descendance (a "Fils de Grande Bretagne"!). Now it is a case of our public property being taken away! As "family", his eccentricities we have learned to live with.

And after all that we did for him!

Last edited:
Oh no! Don’t you blame them being millennials (FYI Meghan is actually gen X cusp Y- like William and Catherine) for their behavior. Meghan is a toxic individual (and at this point I am slowly starting to believe she truly is a narcissist or a truly manipulative person) and Harry is so damaged by PTSD...

I always said, in the hands of the right woman Harry can thrive (seriously in Meghan place I would have told him to find a profession he loves and go to University and study it, and than talk about retiring from royal duties), the right woman is someone who is stable, and loves her regular non celebrity low-key life; essentially Harry needs imo a Sophie-Catherine mix kind of woman.
But he is still working through his mommy issues so rather than wait he proposed to someone who has all the worst qualities his mother had, but he does not seem to see it because to him that was the normal, because that is all he remembers of his mummy: hugs, unstable mental health + family drama and Hollywood glamour.

She is a millennial. Just made it. So am I. It isn't a bad thing. I am just pointing out that the tendency to react for immediate gratification is there. No mature response at all.

Of course Harry needed a Kate. Or a Camilla. Or a Sophie. I think he thought he had. Independent woman. Done some great work. But she just crumbled. Maybe she is a narcissist. I don't know.

As regards the military aspect of your post ROB2008.. i'm on a number of regimental Facebook pages, and I assure you ANY respect service people might once have had for Harry evaporated OVERNIGHT, when the depths of his betrayal of the Commander-in-chief became obvious.
They now see him as an entirely altered individual.

The tweet says that, according to People magazine, Archie was left in Canada with the Mulroneys . I don’t think Doria is involved. She may not be as close to Meghan as some people assume . Did they even spend time together in Canada over the six-week break ? There is no evidence to support that.

People says Mulroney's. Omid's says nanny in Vancouver. Jessica's IG shows she is in Toronto and not Vancouver where apparently Archie is. I don't think any of them knows except that Meghan is returning back to pick him up per Chris Ship. Yet Emily Andrew claiming Meghan is staying for a while. So many versions.

Some anger seeping out. Prince Harry loses his family, his background and his tradition but then we are also losing Harry. He has been an arch-loyalist and kingpin of loyalty to the military. Now this commitment all seems expendable. I think of him as a selfentitled upper class twit but he is OUR public property as a part of The Crown. And by the logic of the monarchy he should be irreplaceable. "We" raised him, cared about him, we kind of housed him and always followed him along the way loyal to him as he seemed to be to us (paying the bills too). We rejoiced (or semi rejoiced) at the wedding we threw for him and at the happy appearance of a descendance (a "Fils de Grande Bretagne"!). Now it is a case of our public property being taken away! As "family", his eccentricities we have learned to live with.

And after all that we did for him!

Of course it's sad. Very sad. For his family. Bittersweet if this had been released quietly and maturely. Come on if a person came from the future and said one royal will resign. Everyone would say Harry. But it's the toxic nature. The marriage, which even though they were older and people marry faster then, now looks rushed. The wife who had no idea of what she has gotten herself into and now has fled and probably will not return much or at all. And Harry who will be goodness knows who. A part time royal with a part time marriage and family. Will he fade from public view until he is commentator on CCN when his father becomes King and then his brother and maybe his nephews wedding. Or will be marriage fade and little by little he will reestablish himself with work he finds fulfilling and reconnect with his family. Harry couldn't find a girl who wanted to take him as he was. Let's be honest. Meghan did. But the both miscalculated. Of course this whole sorry situation is sad and no one, no one, wants a repeat of Diana. But history repeats itself. So Diana was a symptom of her background, as is Harry.

Last edited:
Coming out of lurkdom because this topic moves me, thanks for the great read.

I don't know what the British tabloids wrote about Meghan, it must have been tough - in Europe, she still gets mostly positive press. Which is of course no good to her.

The problem is that she can't solve problems with the press in the way she's used to. When she complains or explains, the press uses it as new fodder. In that sense, her African interview was a huge mistake because it made her look self indulgent and whiny - she had lots of opportunities in Africa to put her own problems into perspective. But how tough is it to swallow unfair criticism (or even fair criticism) without being able to answer! I really don't know how they do it.

So I can totally understand why Meghan and Harry both want to climb down from that crazy train.

But what I don't understand is HOW they do that.

If you want to get less attention, don't seek attention. If you want to recede into the background, don't flounce, don't make statements. Just prepare your refuge quietly, make sure you are supported, and make as little waves as possible. It's possible.

By standing in front of the whole world and announcing: we quit!, they make HUGE waves.

And I suspect they're not troubled by press scrutiny, only by NEGATIVE scrutiny. If they really want to make their brand to money (although they're very rich), they will need attention, they will need to generate excitement around themselves.

If they become a huge lifestyle brand a la GOOP - why should the Duchy of Cornwall pay for them? Why should they use the name of Sussex if they never do anything for Sussex?

They did it the wrong way around IMO. They should have left the room so quietly that nobody notices they're gone.

If they really wanted privacy, that's what they would have done.

I'm sad. I had high hopes for Meghan, I thought she could make an interesting royal duchess.

And I'm sad for Harry's grandparents who have such troubles at their age.

A pity. Couldn't they have carried on a bit more, for his grandparents' sake?

Sorry, I had nothing new to say but enjoyed the discussion, so i de-lurked :)

I agree with you about how to achieve privacy. After the lies about when the baby was born, no christening pix, etc, etc I started to suspect. Every time they did something "differently" to attain privacy???? It always drew 10 times the attention. To be bland, fit in, dull, that is how people lose interest in you. I think possibly it was all done to attract attention, then this final KaBoom!

I like your sentence, " ...left the room so quietly that nobody notices that they're gone".

Their self importance is frightening, after reading several books on the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, all of this seems like deja vu all over again.

How many months do Harry, Meghan and Archie need to be living in the UK per year to keep their citizenship and be considered a British tax payer etc.?
Maybe it's obvious that they'll spend no more than ??? weeks abroad.
How many weeks can Harry live in North America without a visa etc.?

Harry has seemed generous and caring in the past so I'm hopeful that their new charitable set up is hugely beneficial for people in need and for the planet.

I can't understand the emergency pace at which the changes have to happen and why the umbrella of Buckingham Palace and the Queen were not respected.

A friend in the U.K. said they were watching the evening news and one of their reporters was outside BP and stated that the Sussexes were informed several weeks ago they would not be part of the slimmed down monarchy.

So if that is true, this announcement yesterday seems to be an extension of that news.

LARae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom