The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying, Harry is the loser here, but he will live now in Meghan's world...

If we're being totally honest I'm pretty sure Harry has lived in Meghan's world since the day they met. Given the timelines of the registration of this new website, the planning that's gone into it, the messages they've sent with their words and conduct and decisions...I think it's pretty clear that this has been the plan all along, at least in her mind. She had global ambitions for her "initiatives" and needed a bigger platform than being a B-list television actress on a cable channel was providing. Now, don't get me wrong, Harry shares in much of the blame here, but I really believe that Meghan never had any intention of fitting in, playing by the royal rules, etc. She very much had plans for "Brand Sussex" right from the start and Harry not only gave her the access and the means, he followed right along and participated. I hope that in the years to come he won't regret all of this and his treatment of his family but I suspect that in time he will regret it bitterly.

Latest YouGov poll has 46% of the population supporting H&M’s decision and 26% against according to Channel 4 news tonight.

More from that poll.

@RoyalReporter

A YouGov poll finds Prince Harry and Meghan’s decision to step back from royal life is supported by 45 per cent of Brits; 26 per cent oppose. But 63 per cent think the couple should no longer receive the Duchy of Cornwall income; only 13 per cent do.

Almost half the British public (49 per cent) think the monarchy won’t be damaged by the Sussexes’ decision; a third do (32 per cent).

Of course racism was there from the start, of course classism, anti americanism were also there from the start.
But, and i'm sorry to say that, knowing, alas, the human nature : it was expected ! And Meghan from her interesting, very public and social media fuelled background knew exactly what to expect, the best and the worse, by entering into the BRF !
I don't understand, we were repeated again and again that Meghan was a very strong woman Michelle Obama style, that she would overcome hands down all the difficulties, that she was an activist with strong views etc ... And you know what i would have adored a strong figure like that in the BRF. But then something was off. The strong woman morphed into a fragile, self -pitying girl apparently terribly unhappy with the restrictions of her status, merely 2 years after her wedding.
I can hear it was difficult, i can hear that racism fuelled by social medias is unbearable but again wat did you expect by entering into the BRF ? Is it naivety? unpreparation ? A wake up call that the fairy tale was not as idyllic as it seemed ? But clearly some priorities have suddendly changed ...

All true, but as Michelle wrote in her autobiography there came a point she basically laid down the law and told everyone what she needed to be thrilled in her life. She found the support she needed to then become fully supportive of Barack's ambitions.

I really don't see how it is acceptable to have an expectation of racism being bearable. Frankly that is very disappointing. Again going back to not expecting it to be easy but fair. There is only so much one can take. I wouldn't want to live my life thinking I have to simply accept what is thrown at me.

Last edited:
Two years later: Meghan is estranged from her family (except rumored only her mom) Harry is now estranged from his family (if that doesn’t make the bells in your head ring to the point of a migraine, with his problematic this is!)

It's a rather sad line of events; especially as only two years ago they were beaming at the BRF christmas with Meghan being the first fiancée allowed to attend and Harry being proud that this was the family that Meghan never had... Two years later they seem to have completely given up on having any family at all (other than friends whom Meghan calls family who seem to encourage them in their disastrous ways).

People Magazine is reporting that Archie has remained in Canada while Harry and Meghan have been in London to drop their bombshell. If that's true then it lends a whole other element to their plans and says quiet clearly that they're planning to bolt within a matter of days.
https://people.com/royals/prince-ha...rchie-remained-in-canada-amid-palace-shakeup/
Not sure what to make of it; if this would turn out to be true (which seems rather illogical but this whole blow-up is rather illogical) that would explain how they are manipulating everyone and everything to get things done 'quickly' probably expecting that will favor them - but they may have found it by now; it's not that easy.

I think this is key...who exactly is it a good sign for? Harry and Meghan? Have they really backed the RF into a corner and now stand to get everything they want after they've forced everyone to once again bend over backwards for them? I suspect that if the reports of the Queen trying to find a "workable solution" are true then yes, it might be a good sign for Harry and Meghan but it might be a sign that the RF are not taking into account or reading the public mood and may not be a good sign for anyone BUT Harry and Meghan.

A good sign? I would think the wish to have the negotiations done 'fast' will mean that well-thought out alternatives in which H&M's wish would come true to have more freedom but also be still somewhat important royals are out of the window. I expect them to be presented with rather clear cut options on 'in' or 'out' and not 'the best of both worlds as they seem fit'.

So, we'll have to see what will come of it; but at this point I don't think the current events (as reported) necessarily point to the BRF giving in. I'm pretty sure it's Charles who is very much in charge and clear on where his boundaries are.

See also Osipi's post below on possible 'options' that are on the table (instead of H&M's idealized version).
In this matter, I fully trust that HM, The Queen will, along with the now reported round table with other members of the "Firm" and #10 and perhaps other government's representatives, will do and act in a manner that is best for the stability of the monarchy itself.

I'm guessing there will be quite a few either/or decisions made. For example, "if you keep your HRH, commercial ventures are not an option" and "if you're moving away from the Sovereign Grant and the "Firm", you will be expected to pay the going rent on the Crown Estate property you live in" and even "If you decide to split your residence between the UK and another country, Harry will have to forfeit his position as a Councillor of State". Either/Or. No half measures with picking and choosing this or that.

This is all strictly going to be from a business angle of the family "Firm" and the work of the monarchy. Harry and Meghan may find themselves totally on the outside of everything involved with what the monarchy does on a global platform and be left to their own devices with their foundation with H&M at the helm and running things. This, however, will *not* (to me) cause them to be estranged or exiled from the British royal family themselves. There may be animosity and hurt feelings for a while but I don't believe the Sussexes will be shunned for their decisions on how they want their lives to be. They may, however, find that their life plan and the monarchy mix like oil and vinegar.

What comes to mind for me is a quote from Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning" which states "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." This is true. However, actions beget reactions and Harry and Meghan may get what they want but not necessarily in the way they want things to be. They cannot call the shots and dictate how their roles within an institution will be. They can wish and hope and request and beg and plead but the bottom line is they run the chance of being told "no" to it all and lose everything. Not a well thought out gamble in my book.

Last edited:
The important part would be 'they said'. From the BP statements (and the subsequent reports) it is clear nothing has been arranged so far. H&M have expressed their wish but have not explained yet how things will work out and how they think to make things work.

BP was very clear that they knew about 'the desire' but that all was in 'an early stage'. Nonetheless, H&M had spent considerable time designing a website and preparing lots of questions about what they would like and had the guts to release it instead of first reaching an agreement with the Firm. In addition, anyone with some knowledge of how British royal life works, would know that their plan - which was in some ways very detailed (what they want) and in others not clear at all (how they are going to support themselves and how they can assure that their various intended roles would be compatible) - was not a feasible option.

Apparently they told the PoW and the DoC 10 minutes before publishing it online. The statement itself was premature but their website publicly showing their 'demands' made things much worse.

It's curious, what makes them think they are in a position to make such 'demands'?

Because Tom Bradby is totally neutral in all this.

Pretty awful that a 93 year woman who has sacrificed a lot for this institution is treated like this by her own grandson. I think it's unfair to blame the BRF.

They've had a very tough time and I absolutely support their right to take a different path. But I don't think they are totally innocent and the manner of this announcement is ungracious to say the least.

I don’t care what age a person is, I think it is terrible to proudly & publicly support a family member associated with a convicted paedophile while showing no support for others struggling from being bullied non-stop. It makes sense & I completely understand why the Sussexes made the announcement when they did, considering the malicious behaviour from others leaking details to tabloids. I’m grateful too for sussexroyal.com, I’d rather read from that source than others.

Hmm … Nick Booth, the founding CEO of the former William and Harry Foundation -- is now based in Toronto as CEO of a non profit called True Patriot Love Foundation.

I wonder if he has been advising (ill advising) Harry and Meghan on this?

I don’t care what age a person is, I think it is terrible to proudly & publicly support a family member associated with a convicted paedophile while showing no support for others struggling from being bullied non-stop. It makes sense & I completely understand why the Sussexes made the announcement when they did, considering the malicious behaviour from others leaking details to tabloids. I’m grateful too for sussexroyal.com, I’d rather read from that source than others.

Wait for the Tee shirt and the cap, it will come pretty soon ...

The Evening Standard claims they have the authoritative behind the scenes story. M&H’s escape plan “arrived in the inbox last week and has, we have been told by palace sources, “completely incoherent”. The money didn’t stack up. Taxpayers would still be forking out millions of pounds for round-the-clock security, and the tax perks that go with a grace-and-favour home. The Duchy of Cornwall would still be providing the bulk of the income, hardly most people’s definition of financial independence.

There were basic questions about things like their immigration status in Canada that needed answers.

The family wanted to know too if the couple had already signed commercial deals, with companies like Disney, because they suspected they had.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/...han-right-intentions-wrong-plan-a4330366.html
Very basic questions indeed. The Disney-sponsorship also came in mind regarding their 'charitable entity' as at the premiere of the Lion King it was very clearly communicated that Disney was donating to H&M's charity and in no way to the Royal Foundation as run by the DoCs.

The issue here is not being a part-time royal. If H&M had simply announced that they wanted to become part-time royals and have a career in the private sector like some royals in other countries, I suppose many people would have been disappointed, but would have accepted their decision,.

The thing is that they didn’t do just that. Instead they started talking about carving out a new progressive role for themselves “ within the institution” , but with no supervision and outside the normal chain of command. Then they started dictating terms ( living part time in Canada , keeping Frogmore Cottage and security, taking the PoW’s Duchy of Cornwall money , etc.) and basically implied that everyone else ( the Queen, the PoW, the DoC, the British government, the Canadian government, etc. ) had to do as they were told and make it happen. Even worse, they behave as if every item on their wish list had already been agreed to. That kind of petulant “ have the cake and eat it” attitude is what angered people in the public and in the press .

Exactly, they want the name and fame of being members of the royal family (and lots of other perks) but are shielding away from the responsibility that comes with it.

The Queen showed her willingness to act swiftly, decisively, and forcefully when she made the decision to handle Andrew's issues as she did. I very much doubt that she'll hesitate to show these two exactly what and who they are, what their standing is, and exactly who is in charge.
Apparently, quick decisions are in the works - but with the PoW in the lead instead of the queen. Though she surely will sign of on it and most likely made her thoughts known to her heir.

Seriously I think right from the start this would have been a condition on their marriage (I know I would put one in place). Im guessing what people dont realise is that WE were the ones on trial not them. We had an opportunity to show that we werent sniping rascist vipers intent on villifying and witch hunting Meaghan and Harry if they were to stay in the BRF fold and we failed big time. Ever since they married they have had to endure so much hatred, racism and rumour mongering. They quite clearly were not prepared to put up with it and certainly didnt want it for their children.
On the contrary I think Harry is very clear about what it entails to be part of the royal family. Im sure he didnt need to be dragged into deciding they were no longer going to be part of the official office. He would realise that now that William has got a good selection of heirs and spares that he is surplus to the need.
He doesnt need to be there and he doesnt need to be subjected to the hate and vilification that comes with being in that role.
Its the press that are trying to whip up an anti M&H sentiment which Im guessing is only validating the reasons why they want to step back from it all.
Of course the RF might be disappointed but that doesnt mean they dont understand or wont support him. It will be a sad time as the brothers part ways and go in different directions this is afterall what siblings do when they growup and have families they get different priorities.
Im sorry to those baying for blood but the British public DO NOT own them.

Last edited:
Wait for the Tee shirt and the cap, it will come pretty soon ...

Thank you!! Fans are crying racism but all i see is greedy and self centered folks.
They want to control the narrative and make money while enjoying royal privileges

what a shame. She conned her way to the family by pretending to actually want to be part of the team and that she respected the queen. She just wanted an approval to marry Harry and then use the title for her own benefit.

:previous:

Last edited:

Considering the metaphorical woodshed that PA now calls home instead of continuing in public life, I beg to differ with "proud & publicly support" . DeeT: I edited this because I realized "convicted pedophile" was a reference to Epstein and not PA. I apologize for my error.

For a show business veteran in her thirties that has proven adept at social media I think she is much much tougher when it comes to the downside of internet life than she lets on.

Last edited:
Another thing about the website statements is that despite their best efforts they come across as elitist-----and if they are targeting a wide US audience, that isn't good. If their target audience is limited to wealthy Americans that want to rub shoulders with second-tier royals, well congratulations, well done.

Americans love underdogs striving in the face of adversity. Right now in the royal world that description better fits the York princesses. They are just as interesting, just as fashionable, and royal by blood. I would not be surprised to see their favorable press coverage in the US grow this year. Just a thought.

It's indeed a strange combination: very elitist and 'know better: for example about how to do 'finances' within the royal family (make sure that members can profit from their position) and media (only on their terms; not respecting long established ways of dealing with the press - of course, especially how to go about the media is something that needs a constant discussion but as members of the royal family you cannot favor specific media and exclude others; although I think they could set reasonable expectations and include consequences if media don't respect them - but that's different from a full 'pick and choose' approach). However, on the other hand, it also reads - and especially in combination with their Southern Africa documentary - as a 'poor me' story; and you have to give in to all I want because poor me... And the 'me up against everyone else' (including your whole family that you committed to working for for life) also is rarely a productive way of moving forward.

I guess this is Meghan and Harry's way of forging their own way through circumstances they experience as very unfair and hard; although I am afraid much (not all of course) of that is their own doing. I hope all is sorted out some way or another... and relationships will be healed at some point as they are clearly at least partly broken now.

The Sussex Royal website was designed by a Toronto-based firm called "Article" Here is their website and they are already cashing-in on the royal connections by using the Megan and Harry monogram on their site of "clients" … Clearly this is what they spent their time in Canada doing!

https://madebyarticle.com/

The headline above the introduction of their clients is interesting as well: it's all about the 'brand':
"We Work With Brands We Believe in."

Last edited:
I am so sad that it has come to this....

Just when I thought we were getting somewhere with Megan's fight against bullying, rascism, anti-monarchists, crazy Markles, and so much more, they choose to step back. Who knows, really, how much damage this last year has done to her mental health and his. Harry always seemed the more fragile and angry about his mother's death, perhaps because he was the younger child. After all, Harry's role as a "spare" has thankfully been erased with William's brood. Charles is planning to scale down the monarchy anyway. The BRF will get along just fine even without H&M's constant presence.

I don't know which media to believe anymore even the ones I thought might be somewhat objective, whether articles and programs are truthful, hurtful, or written based on the probability of generating clicks. Everyone has an opinion on this, and so many of these opinions are not based on basic facts at all.

I suppose it is time for me to "step away" myself, especially after one news outfit called this a "tragedy" for the Queen and the BRF. A real "tragedy" for instance, is the shooting down yesterday of the Ukrainian plane with innocent, primarily Canadian citizens aboard, coming home from Tehran after winter holidays. Victims of a cruel chess game played by world leaders.

Question
Will they find what they are looking for in Canada?
Will they really find or carve out the lifestyle that suits them in Canada.

I could see Harry being invited onto a Company or two as a Director. That would give them a comfortable living. With Harry attending various Royal events back in the UK. And I could see Meghan being involved in many causes that suit her, and attending various things in the USA and back in the UK.

It will be interesting to see what the Palace and H & M come up with.

I just can't help but feel this couple have been bullied to the point where this is now the result.

Question
Will they find what they are looking for in Canada?
Will they really find or carve out the lifestyle that suits them in Canada.

I could see Harry being invited onto a Company or two as a Director. That would give them a comfortable living. With Harry attending various Royal events back in the UK. And I could see Meghan being involved in many causes that suit her, and attending various things in the USA and back in the UK.

It will be interesting to see what the Palace and H & M come up with.

I just can't help but feel this couple have been bullied to the point where this is now the result.

but that's not what they want. They want to be royals who go back and forth between their jobs in the UK and what they do in Canada. They want to keep their home in the UK.. they want to make money so that they can go on with their own charity work presumably abroad.

If we're being totally honest I'm pretty sure Harry has lived in Meghan's world since the day they met. Given the timelines of the registration of this new website, the planning that's gone into it, the messages they've sent with their words and conduct and decisions...I think it's pretty clear that this has been the plan all along, at least in her mind. She had global ambitions for her "initiatives" and needed a bigger platform than being a B-list television actress on a cable channel was providing. Now, don't get me wrong, Harry shares in much of the blame here, but I really believe that Meghan never had any intention of fitting in, playing by the royal rules, etc. She very much had plans for "Brand Sussex" right from the start and Harry not only gave her the access and the means, he followed right along and participated. I hope that in the years to come he won't regret all of this and his treatment of his family but I suspect that in time he will regret it bitterly.

Sadly I have to agree that Meghan wanted to not just be a breath of fresh air in the BRF, but a hurricane. What she neglected to remember - if she knew it at all - was that the monarchy has been around for a thousand years; it's survived because it's adapted when necessary, but it hasn't essentially changed - and I don't think most people do want it to change. For all the bad press and self-inflicted damage some royals have caused, they do a LOT of good. I don't know if Harry has talked so often about his mother than maybe now his wife wants to almost be her in the sense of having a similar impact, but Diana as far as I know wasn't trying to cause a revolution; she just wanted to raise her kids as normally as possible and probably hoped that the BRF might be more openly affectionate with each other. Meghan, on the other hand, seems to be wanting to affect a sea change - and, frankly, NO ONE asked her for that. No one wants it (I guess unless you're a Republican).

Charles said fairly recently that he knows that he can't do or say things as King that he can do or say as Prince of Wales - so even he with his modern, forward thinking views, understands what the monarchy is about.

Meghan is probably the one who has come up with all this stuff about raising money. I should say it is her idea to say to Harry "If we can do this that and the other to raise our own money, we can then do what charity work we like".. and she has the ideas about schmoozing and raising it.

Im guessing what people dont realise is that WE were the ones on trial not them. We had an opportunity to show that we werent sniping rascist vipers intent on villifying and witch hunting Meaghan and Harry if they were to stay in the BRF fold and we failed big time.

Those of us who supported, explained and excused things for the past several years would beg to differ.

Change of topic--
Looking back--

I was a little surprised when news that Harry & Meghan were dating broke, but as we learned more about Meghan it seemed okay. Things moved fast but they were an older couple who had both had serious past relationships.

Christmas 2 years ago seemed good for all-it was lovely for the Queen to invite the fiancee to Christmas at Sandringham. During the lead up to the wedding, things seemed to be going well (other than her weird paternal relatives.) The whole mess with her father seemed incredibly sad.

The Australian tour that fall went really well--then it seems everything went downhill. That is when the rumors really kicked up.

And this past year, well, there was a lot of weirdness that began to change my perception of the Sussexes.

This is purely personal opinion but I feel like the Sussexes distanced themselves from members of the BRF and experienced staff--because they didn't want to hear the "No, you can't do things that way because...."

Last edited:
Meghan is probably the one who has come up with all this stuff about raising money.

Its pretty clear that Money and a 'Global brand' are her primary motivations..

Last edited:
You might consider that other people did read the webpage directly and came to different conclusions than you?

From my perspective, having read the website completely, I found it breathtakingly presumptuous and coming from a place of incredible entitlement. The only thing of value there was the explanation of why they chose Frogmore, which they should have deigned to explain months ago IMO.
As someone who read the entire thing yesterday, YES, THAT.

Not only did I read it, me and my friend talked about specific answers and what they wrote - what we found lacking is solid information "this is what we want and this is how we're going to do it". The phrase "financially independent" shows up so many times, but not even once it's mentioned how they want to achieve it. They wrote they want to "collaborate" with HMQ - without having a solid, agreed by BP plan on how they could do that, which is so presumptuous.

I see their website for what it really is - a wishlist. "This is the reality we want to create for ourselves", but at no point they said how they want to achieve their goal. No wonder they were told to keep on working on their plan instead of presenting their idea to the world.

What's interesting, I can't open the "Funding" page they have (or have had?) on their website right now. Everything else works, but this one disappeared.

I just read that Harry wanted to meet with the Queen and courtiers blocked the meeting. I would have thought as Queen she could choose what she wants apparently not.

So according to Scobie they did actually leave Archie in Canada and are on their way back there this evening.

Hmm...

?? well, good for Archie! Mummy and Daddy are coming home after tossing a bomb into Buckingham Palace. :lol:

Yup, he’s a willing participant. His own ego let this get out of control, I blame him more. It’s beyond greed for me when he can show his cold heart to the Queen. How cruel. Yes, he can live in Meghan’s world until, well, until he becomes disposable......

I just read that Harry wanted to meet with the Queen and courtiers blocked the meeting. I would have thought as Queen she could choose what she wants apparently not.

Oh, man, if this is true I read it completely differently than you do.

He has certainly seemed like a differnet man since he got together with Meghan.. was the old jolly japes, fun loving, casual Harry not the real person? now he's this earnest depressed man who seems to follow his wife's lead on all sorts of things.

So according to Scobie they did actually leave Archie in Canada and are on their way back there this evening.

Hmm...

"has always been their priority..." I'd say this is all becoming more and more clear.

If so, that doesn't sound as if the tabloids forced their hands at all.

Most sources claim that the queen asked H&M to first figure things out with the Prince of Wales; after that they could discuss their more elaborate/detailed plans with the queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom