The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen showed her willingness to act swiftly, decisively, and forcefully when she made the decision to handle Andrew's issues as she did. I very much doubt that she'll hesitate to show these two exactly what and who they are, what their standing is, and exactly who is in charge.

In this matter, I fully trust that HM, The Queen will, along with the now reported round table with other members of the "Firm" and #10 and perhaps other government's representatives, will do and act in a manner that is best for the stability of the monarchy itself.

I'm guessing there will be quite a few either/or decisions made. For example, "if you keep your HRH, commercial ventures are not an option" and "if you're moving away from the Sovereign Grant and the "Firm", you will be expected to pay the going rent on the Crown Estate property you live in" and even "If you decide to split your residence between the UK and another country, Harry will have to forfeit his position as a Councillor of State". Either/Or. No half measures with picking and choosing this or that.

This is all strictly going to be from a business angle of the family "Firm" and the work of the monarchy. Harry and Meghan may find themselves totally on the outside of everything involved with what the monarchy does on a global platform and be left to their own devices with their foundation with H&M at the helm and running things. This, however, will *not* (to me) cause them to be estranged or exiled from the British royal family themselves. There may be animosity and hurt feelings for a while but I don't believe the Sussexes will be shunned for their decisions on how they want their lives to be. They may, however, find that their life plan and the monarchy mix like oil and vinegar.

What comes to mind for me is a quote from Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning" which states "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." This is true. However, actions beget reactions and Harry and Meghan may get what they want but not necessarily in the way they want things to be. They cannot call the shots and dictate how their roles within an institution will be. They can wish and hope and request and beg and plead but the bottom line is they run the chance of being told "no" to it all and lose everything. Not a well thought out gamble in my book.

Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

@chrisshipitv So 24 hours after THAT statement from Harry and Meghan, the
Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"

I don’t think that the US government has anything to do with this matter, but Canada certainly is an interested party, not least because I suspect the Canadians may be asked to foot the bill ( at least partially).

I don’t think that the US government has anything to do with this matter, but Canada certainly is an interested party, not least because I suspect the Canadians may be asked to foot the bill ( at least partially).

This and I suspect that some Canadians might be feeling a little bit used or played after that Canada House engagement. So many people, including posters here, felt that something was very, very off about that whole engagement and now we know why. But it did kind of give off the vibe that somehow Canadian officials were "in on it" or "plotting" with Harry and Meghan and I don't believe it sat well with a lot of people.

Again if it's true the method to rush things and to somewhat force the Queen to react was despicable, simply despicable.
I mean so publicy, from your own grandson ...
Don't talk about respect after that mate.

Agreed, but , if the news is true, they may be well getting what they wanted, i.e. the four royal households plus the British and Canadian governments scrambling to fulfill their demands. I sincerely hope they are not rewarded for bad behavior and end up getting another deal .

Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

@chrisshipitv So 24 hours after THAT statement from Harry and Meghan, the

Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"

Just because the news is reporting it, doesn’t prove an official source released the information. Like I said if it came from BP, why not say so?

Depending on what route they go, charitable wise, a lot of their “funding” and promotion will come from the USA. There’s a spot on Oprah waiting for them I bet.

I have a feeling that the Queen may bend the rules to accomodate the Sussexes. It's her grandson after all. Hopefully they will take the public into account. The BRF does not have a luxury to make bad decisions now. I'm not sure whether Brits will be happy with part-time Prince.

I think we also need to be open to the idea that we may not have all the information. We can only guess why the announcement was made yesterday and we can only guess the reaction of the rest of the royal family. H&M may have been "forced" to make the announcement, or they may have been frustrated. If the reports are true and the queen has ordered that they work closely to find a solution, it's a good sign, I think.

I have a feeling that the Queen may bend the rules to accomodate the Sussexes. It's her grandson after all. Hopefully they will take the public into account. The BRF does not have a luxury to make bad decisions now. I'm not sure whether Brits will be happy with part-time Prince.
As a Brit, after this display of petulance I'm absolutely delighted for Harry to become an unemployed Prince. Let them have their freedom and a chance of a happier, quieter life - but no input from the taxpayer. In spite of all the criticism and unpleasantness they faced from some quarters there was a lot of good faith towards them - they've lost a lot of support with this strategy.

I think we also need to be open to the idea that we may not have all the information. We can only guess why the announcement was made yesterday and we can only guess the reaction of the rest of the royal family. H&M may have been "forced" to make the announcement, or they may have been frustrated. If the reports are true and the queen has ordered that they work closely to find a solution, it's a good sign, I think.

I think this is key...who exactly is it a good sign for? Harry and Meghan? Have they really backed the RF into a corner and now stand to get everything they want after they've forced everyone to once again bend over backwards for them? I suspect that if the reports of the Queen trying to find a "workable solution" are true then yes, it might be a good sign for Harry and Meghan but it might be a sign that the RF are not taking into account or reading the public mood and may not be a good sign for anyone BUT Harry and Meghan.

Love their website “manifesto” laying out their fantasy life as progressive, what? Global Saviors? Duke and Duchess of the Universe? After all, they are MUCH too big and important as THE power couple to be under the thumb of a mere Queen, Country, et.al, They are Universal Ambassadors entitled to reap financial rewards from their adoring worshipers and other powerful influencers. They are a global brand, which is being smothered by an institution and a little white haired lady that wanders around with a handbag not doing anything REALLY important like they will be doing. As the most important masters of the universe, they will control the media and make sure what is printed is only the most glowing and positive stories about their incredibly important work.

What a bunch of narcissistic bull poo poo. These two are something else. The pure arrogance, selfishness and complete disregard for the Queen, her heir(s) and the institution is stunning. They weren’t getting what they wanted in the time and way they wanted it so they will just do it their own way. And if the Queen and Prince Charles allow it, then it won’t bode well for the future dealings with these two.

I so wish the Queen and Prince Charles would take a firm stand and strip them of HRH and the titles since they clearly want to market and make money off the Sussex title. Harry and his wife can then be known as Mr and Mrs Harry Mountbatten-Windsor and go live I where ever they want but without the financial support or branding of the Royal Family.

I think this is key...who exactly is it a good sign for? Harry and Meghan? Have they really backed the RF into a corner and now stand to get everything they want after they've forced everyone to once again bend over backwards for them? I suspect that if the reports of the Queen trying to find a "workable solution" are true then yes, it might be a good sign for Harry and Meghan but it might be a sign that the RF are not taking into account or reading the public mood and may not be a good sign for anyone BUT Harry and Meghan.

Don't worry ever since the good Queens grandfather they have been brilliant at sensing the lay of the land. Diana being different and actually it was the public who were wrong. What would you do with two traumatised and berieved children.

From what I’ve read, is unworkable. So that all parties are going to have to come up with one that is. I can’t see the Sussex’s getting everything they want. I think both sides will have to compromise.

I believe the Sussexes are going to get everything they have demanded. I would not surprised if the several governments of Commonwealth countries have been invited. However is it a case of tying down a loose cannon or killing a bull in a china shop? That is what we will see.
There will be many statements in the next weeks, maybe even an interview with an American news company. Whether that is to launch the new initiative in America or proclaim that they are now living a meaningful existence I don’t know, maybe both. I seem to think that everything is very time sensitive , which makes me wonder what is not been said. Maybe their next baby announcement needs to be from their Canadian HQ - who knows.
I do however feel for the other people affected by this, notably the charities that are now in limbo. They have said they will maintain them , who knows now. They might not want a minor royal patron they should be allowed to decide. With Prince Philips charities still been wrapped up and now Andrew’s needing to find new homes it must be a very difficult time for them

From what I’ve read, is unworkable. So that all parties are going to have to come up with one that is. I can’t see the Sussex’s getting everything they want. I think both sides will have to compromise.

Well the RF actually don't. There is nothing Meghan and Harry can give them long term to insight them to go softly, softly. What they wont is them speaking about the royals or earning money on thr back of it. They will give them a settlement to avoid this and let them keep the titles and come to family things. But apart from that. They won't give much I don't think. They will not take the titles. But as an act.od goodwill I think H and M should downgrade them at least.

Support is big here. I mean money support. The B4itish public will not be happy with supporting them.

Last edited:
Agreed, but , if the news is true, they may be well getting what they wanted, i.e. the four royal households plus the British and Canadian governments scrambling to fulfill their demands. I sincerely hope they are not rewarded for bad behavior and end up getting another deal .

They will get a deal because at the end they are still part of the family and i'm firmly convinced, despite all the attempt to show the Windsors like heartless lizards, they do care about them.

^I don't doubt that HMQ desires a solution [and fast], but caving into 'blackmail' - what else, [truly] was yesterdays bombshell, is a very bad idea. Not only the public, but senior members of the BRF are likely to be alienated by anything perceived to be a 'reward for bad behaviour'

Last edited:

Compromises are never neutral though in my experience. The question is whether the Sussexes will get a good or a bad deal from their point of view .

I think Charles in particular wants to strike a conciliatory tone and keep them in the fold somehow in a position where they can be controlled . I don’t think he wants a new Diana situation and those two have proven to be loose canons. A big difference , however, is that Diana had popular support and the Sussexes, after yesterday’s stunt, not so much, at least not in the UK.

I meant it might be a good sign that this will be contained before it turns into a complete disaster for both parties. Harry and Meghan did shoot themselves in the foot with this announcement and they lost so many people's sympathy. As for The Firm, this crisis is making them look rigid and outdated. Right now no one is winning... well, maybe republicans!

I meant it might be a good sign that this will be contained before it turns into a complete disaster for both parties. Harry and Meghan did shoot themselves in the foot with this announcement and they lost so many people's sympathy. As for The Firm, this crisis is making them look rigid and outdated. Right now no one is winning... well, maybe republicans!

I don't think that is true. Everyone has sympathy for the family. In fact it is the first time I have heard people say. I am really not that into them but
I am just hurt for them. They will never get so much support to be honest. This is a 93 year old woman who has given her life and a 98 man who likewise gave up his in service of her work. It isn't lost on people.

And the royal have changed lives. The prince's.trust, the Invictus games, DOE awards. Changed the lives of thousands of people and that is the reason for the job.

Last edited:
What's the word on the streets this morning in Britain?

What do people you overhear say?

Are they disappointed? Angry? Indifferent towards H&M (I.e. a: Okay have a nice live)? Don't really care? Embarrassed? Supportive?

I think the professional commentators are just as clueless as we are, but the reaction among ordinary people is crucial.

I think many people cannot fathom them not consulting the Queen. If they had consulted her, then I think the general feeling would be more "if it's right for them, whatever". But most people do have a respect for the Queen, even if they aren't interested in the rest of the royal family, and this just feels treacherous.

That phrase in their statement "with your encouragement", did they genuinely think the public were going to applaud them?

I keep coming back to Meghan's statement to paraphrase I knew it would be hard but I thought it would be fair. Can any way that they could put up with the constant scrutiny and in many instances of thinly veiled racist attacks? Yes all married in royal women endure the scrutiny but this was next level.

In an aside, why is this? Why are all these women treated as objects not living, breathing, thinking and human beings with people? Why are the supposed to silently take it?

Back to the issue. The racism has been there since day 1. Remember Harry's statement when they started dating? Remember when more people had to be hired to police the social media accounts? At that time someone official (senior staff of senior family member) needed to speak out officially and publicly. That done and the current situation is probably not here.

Thinking ahead, especially for George, who would want to put someone they love thru this? William and Kate were lucky enough to meet at university and have a relationship under the radar for quite some time. Still be was concerned about what life would be like for her. Their first few years they had some space and were widely criticized. This gave them a good foundation but they were also younger. When the time comes George may have a hard time finding a spouse one that loves him and is willing to take the scrutiny.

The Palace needs to get the story straight. First no one knew, then they kind of knew. Now it is it was known but there was no solid plan. Not a good look.

Finally, I am so tired of this all being Meghan's fault. Harry is not a child. He said,years before Meghan, he wanted out. He had a role, found a way to make it work and found someone to share his life, work and have a family. We all carry childhood baggage, I think he feels he couldn't protect his mom and will do everything in his power to protect his wife and family.

I've been supportive of this couple from the beginning. However, I feel a profound disquiet at their plans and at their preemptive announcement.

I posted the link at least 3 times here yesterday....but it doesn't fit the narrative so good luck getting anyone to calm down long enough to read their website/statements.

LaRae

You might consider that other people did read the webpage directly and came to different conclusions than you?

From my perspective, having read the website completely, I found it breathtakingly presumptuous and coming from a place of incredible entitlement. The only thing of value there was the explanation of why they chose Frogmore, which they should have deigned to explain months ago IMO.

The idea that they'll just decide to settle in Canada is presumptuous and rude. I'm Canadian. I strongly support immigration. What I don't support is the idea that two people queue-jumping potential newcomers to Canada. The fact that you're friends with the PM's wife doesn't actually qualify you for anything under our current immigration framework. And without significant investments or Meghan returning to acting (which isn't a guarantee), I don't think there are any immigration categories that the two of them actually qualify for. And that's before we get to the question of paying for their security.

Their explanation of royal finances was laughable; claiming the desire to achieve financial independence but still receive Duchy funding is ill-conceived, for all the reasons mentioned by others in the thread.

Stating that they would continue to receive Duchy funding, round the clock security, and continuing to live at Frogmore when those things had clearly not been agreed upon is a dishonourable bargaining tactic, to say the least.

Well Robert Jobson who has close ties in Prince Charles' office has is own POV. Interesting read.

According to him Harry tried to hold meetings with HMQ and Charles a few times and was brushed off repeatedly. I have no doubt the "punishment" will happen but clearly Harry is prepared for it.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...rkle-defied-plans-senior-royals-a4330341.html

That is a very charitable reading towards the DDofSussex.

According to that article, he kicked things off on Christmas Eve, and -- when asked -- came up with the half-baked plan listed on the website, which Charles very understandably responded to with "this needs work, let's talk". The Queen asking to meet only after he'd worked things out with Charles was a completely reasonable and responsible request. If by "brushed off" you mean "they didn't immediately give the Sussexes everything they wanted" then I guess that yes, they "brushed them off". But the timeline in the Standard makes Harry and Meghan look like arrogant children stamping their feet.

I fully support them taking a step back from the monarchy, going to live in the US, and being essentially like Beatrice and Eugenie. But that isn't what they've proposed and their methods are contemptible.

Last edited:
It isn't lost on people

Indeed it isn't.. people [otherwise ambivalent about the BRF] seem appalled at the caprice of the Sussexes, and their presumption in this matter..

They would be well advised not to appear in Public [until this is resolved], as I suspect the warmth of their reception outside Canada House would not be repeated...

As for The Firm, this crisis is making them look rigid and outdated. Right now no one is winning... well, maybe republicans!

Not really sure about that. As far as i heard, a lot of people seem to sympathise with the BRF, simply because the Sussexes seemed to shake the untouchable : the Queen.
But now of course it's the reaction from the British public, the American one is another matter and as we are witnessing a rift between the Sussexes and the Firm, there is clearly a rift between the British and the American perception of the affair. But it has always been the case, about the Sussexes, on this Forum for exemple, from the very start.

Absolutely.

There is no other way out of this than getting together and negotiate a solution.
However, H&M are not in a position to dictate anything.
They will be lucky if just some of their wishes come true.
And it's not just the BRF they will be negotiating with. It's the British government - it's after all the British state that will foot some of the bill and it's the British government who will decide how much they wish to use H&M abroad in particular.

H&M may suddenly realize they are replaceable. More than they thought.
H&M played their hand too soon and they are left with no aces.

So I think a solution that will satisfy the BRF and the British government (read: The British public) but not necessarily H&M will be the most likely outcome of these negotiations. - It will be up to our resident Britons to assess how much they are willing to give H&M.

H&M have played their hand saying we want "a junior role", they can't retract now.
W&K would have some good cards left: Themselves and their children.
H&M have... what?
What can they do now? Threaten to remain "senior" royals? Threaten to take on more engagements? Threaten to stay only in Britain?
They can't even play the card saying: Then we'll go public saying we will step down embarrassing the BRF. They have already used that.
They have no cards left.

So H&M may get one wish fulfilled: They will become secondary royals - very secondary royals.

It will be interesting negotiations!
No, I think. Yes, the may be secondary Royals. But not necessarily. Like all Royals before them, they depend on the will of the souverain and the government. And we know that if Charles want them, he will have them. And the British people will love them, I think. These are just insider cabales who became outside news but without the necessary knowledge how to really think about it.

IMHO.
I think it's different from Danmark here, really. But who knows.

Well I can tell you from the street that there are a couple of responses. Hurt for the Queen amd all the other members of the family who just work and work
. The media were horrible and they are not in line anyway. Everyone however is now saying. We aren't paying for them.now are we. I see a lump sum from the family and removal of RPO's or ones to be paid privately. Restrictions about talking about family in public. All that stuff.

I was thinking this as well-a settlement of some kind upon signing an NDA. And limits on how they can use their titles.

I don't see RPOs being used after the near future.

I think they will have very small royals roles or no role at all in order to avoid too much drama in the future.
Many things they do attracts negativity and I am sure the Firm needs stability. H&M have become very toxic to the FIRM. It's best they savor ties with them, with love off course.

At this point, one of the major problem I see is broken Trust between the FIRM and the couple. I don't see how they can move forward and work together in the future without learning to Trust each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom