The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with them "carving out a new role" - it's been clear for a while that they weren't happy with their lives as they were.

I have a big problem with the way they have announced this - disrespectful and deceitful are the words that spring to mind.

It's a real shame - Meghan was a breath of fresh air at first and Harry seemed so happy. Good luck to them - I hope they can do what they would like.

I must admit I can't see exactly how it's going to work - it does seem a bit of a logistical nightmare. So they still want Prince Charles to foot their bills - and they qualify for year round protection from the Met. How does that work when they are in North America? When police forces are having their budgets cut and basic police coverage is cut back - but they have to provide security for a couple who want to live abroad and be free from the Royal Family.

They have been fiercely and often unjustly criticised but that doesn't mean all criticism is unjustified. I think this narrative that they have had no support from the BRF is ridiculous and untrue and grossly unfair to the Queen and Prince Charles.
Egotistical, self-important and petulant with absolutely no awareness of what they look like in some situations eg. standing in a shanty town complaining how hard you have it or taking a private jet to go to a gathering on the environment...

Harry is fiercely protective and has said he doesn't wish his wife to be commoditised like his mother was or to lose her to the same dark forces. The press can be really, really tough and positively nasty and there is no doubt Diana suffered greatly - and leaving Harry deeply traumatised. But he's an adult now and he needs to realise his mother wasn't killed by the press, she died because she was in a speeding car driven by a drunk man and she didn't wear a seat belt.

So good luck but I don't think they have started off on the right foot.

i'm kinda sad about it, but it looks to me, that they are driven away by the criticism. i hope for them live will get better for them, but i think, they will face new criticism. It will be interesting how this will work out.

On the issue of Frogmore Cottage, all the renovation and structural work done was funded by the Sovereign Grant and not the taxpayers, themselves. This ensured that the property that belongs to the Crown Estates endures through future generations and wasn't solely for Harry and Meghan although H&M, themselves, financed the interior decorating. This is why its been stated that should they no longer work for crown and country, they'd be required to pay a going rent on the property to remain there. That's part and parcel of them moving away from the Sovereign Grant in all this. I don't believe this will be done by half measures. One either/or decision to watch for here.

This had been elaborated for probably a long time, I imagine his brother at least had some kind of idea! The fact that they spent XMas away from the Queen and the rest of the fanily shows how slowly they were trying to part different ways lus the split in the foundation with his brother. Of course I do not have the crystal ball but I am thinking Meghan was probably one of the forces for this to happen

He's not interested in the army etc or some other proper job like a pilot, they want to lead the Bono or Angelina Jolie life, do-gooders on a global stage, Bono's base for fame is being a musician, Jolie being an actress and they are royal and they need to stay royal to stay interesting. But there is a difference that they don't understand because there is public money involved. I guess that was Meghan's plan all along, she needed Harry to come from small time actress to get to the global stage to grace the world with her virtues, but she never understood that the royal idea is different, it's enormous privilege against duty and public service. You cannot have one without the other, therefore it will all end in tears. It will work with a celebrity A Lister, but not with a British Prince.
I just can't believe how full they are of themselves.

You nailed it!!! Many people have actually speculated Meghan's fame angle after her Vanity Fair cover (Mad about Harry!!) hahaha lol

For me, it was their wedding. She invited celebrities that she knows very little of and few old friends. Only mom as a family member. Who does that at Global Stage? The fact that she thought it was ok to do that, it shows Meghan's narcissistic behaviour. Families are not perfect. But usually families stick together in good and bad. She doesn't understand this concept. Everything is about me-gain. and Harry is indulging her - whether because of his love for her or mental health issues, i don't know.

They don't bring the best in each other, which will be a downfall for them.

With all of this happening I can only think of one thing: Harry is on the run. From his basic self. He is a grown man, but is he *truly* in every aspect of the word?
On Meghan I have nothing to say.

Based on his previous sentiments I think Harry is leading the 'charge'. It's interesting to see self proclaimed feminists blame it all on Meghan.

LaRae

ICAM. The "Yoko Markle" crowd has been there from the beginning....and they are on both sides of the spectrum(conservative and progressive).:cool:

What a mess. All I can say is thank goodness I mostly follow a nice, normal, no drama family like the Grimaldi of Monaco! :lol:;)

On the issue of Frogmore Cottage, all the renovation and structural work done was funded by the Sovereign Grant and not the taxpayers, themselves.

Altho' this is true [and 'Royal watchers' know it..] Joe public doesn't, and won't 'hear it'..
They believe 'we paid' for it, and will be irate if this couple [seen to be shirking their duty/responsibilities] continue to live there 'at our expense'..

This is sad but its a fact.

As things stand I cannot see them being able to continue to reside there, or [perhaps] in the UK.

Last edited:
ICAM. The "Yoko Markle" crowd has been there from the beginning....and they are on both sides of the spectrum(conservative and progressive).:cool:

What a mess. All I can say is thank goodness I mostly follow a nice, normal, no drama family like the Grimaldi's of Monaco! :lol:;)
Lol and then we have people who have proclaimed years ago that the Grimaldi's are messy and trashy and someone like Charlotte was too much for those precious princes.

If it's true that BP and Number 10 are already in discussions about all of this, even with everything else happening right now, then it does imply that there are probably serious questions being raised about Harry's status as a Councilor of State, their titles, RPO funding, and more that might go deeper than just "at the will of Her Majesty."

Some posters here have made quite a show of proclaiming that if Edward VIII, Andrew, Beatrice, and Eugenie can all keep their titles and HRHs then Harry and Meghan can, too. However, absolutely none of those are the same circumstances we're seeing here. In fact, if Harry and Meghan had handled this all differently then I suspect we wouldn't see the public outcry for their titles to be removed, etc. We might even be able to wish them well and watch them go do whatever it is that they believe will make them happy. However, most people do not take lightly the idea that these relatively minor and, in the grand scheme of things, unimportant figures, believe that they are entitled to dictate to HM how things will be done, what they will be given, what they will be entitled to, etc. That simply isn't the way this works. They can ask, they can speak to, they can lay out an idea for, but they can't dictate. They simply aren't that important and aren't in that position. None of the four being held up as examples have taken that tact and it's precisely for that reason that many, myself included, believe that ultimately they will no longer be a part of the BRF and will no longer have their titles, their HRHs, any public funding whatsoever, and probably no funding from the Duchy in the long run. You cannot expect to be able to go into this with these high-handed tactics and expect to get your way. If for no other reason than the fact that after this behavior it will need to be made very clear to them exactly what their place and position is and that the BRF does not revolve around them.

The Queen showed her willingness to act swiftly, decisively, and forcefully when she made the decision to handle Andrew's issues as she did. I very much doubt that she'll hesitate to show these two exactly what and who they are, what their standing is, and exactly who is in charge.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. Or, conversely, she's the only one who managed to adapt and thrive and that may be due in large part to her stable family background and long relationship prior to marriage that gave her time to feel more comfortable with the pressures, the press, the family, and the system as a whole. In fact, every single one of these things could also be said about Sophie. None of the other three had or gave themselves the time, the stability, etc.

I think is a very good point. Longer relationship or in Sophie's case she was older. Meghan was older too but she to didn't have the most stable of backgrounds. Neither did Sarah and Diana and their was trauma IN Harry and Williams. But you have to give it to both those women, Sarah and Diana, William, Bea and Eugenie turned out great. And with time and stability I am sure Harry would be great too.

You nailed it!!! Many people have actually speculated Meghan's fame angle after her Vanity Fair cover (Mad about Harry!!) hahaha lol

For me, it was their wedding. She invited celebrities that she knows very little of and few old friends. Only mom as a family member.Who does that at Global Stage? The fact that she thought it was ok to do that, it shows Meghan's narcissistic behaviour. Families are not perfect. But usually families stick together in good and bad. She doesn't understand this concept. Everything is about me-gain. and Harry is indulging her - whether because of his love for her or mental health issues, i don't know.

They don't bring the best in each other, which will be a downfall for them.

This is where you are wrong. Meghan only had her dear close friends and her mother up in front. You can speculate about the rest. That is your opinion but that part is just false. I literally can list every close friend and how long they have been her friend. No need to peddle lies.

And honestly at this point we know all about her toxic family. We still shocked they were not there? Really?

Breaking news:

The Queen has convened a meeting of all four royal households and ‘tasked’ them with coming up with a ‘workable’ future role for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex within ‘days not weeks’. The discussions will take place 'at pace' and will involve both the government and the home secretary. It is understood that foreign governments - presumably Canada - will be involved too.

Breaking news:

The Queen has convened a meeting of all four royal households and ‘tasked’ them with coming up with a ‘workable’ future role for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex within ‘days not weeks’. The discussions will take place 'at pace' and will involve both the government and the home secretary. It is understood that foreign governments - presumably Canada - will be involved too.

Just to add this breaking news has come from the ever popular “royal sources” and is being tweeted on twitter by the ever loveable royal reporting brigade. While I believe discussions have taken place, I only feel it’s right we define the facts now.

Just to add this breaking news has come from the ever popular “royal sources” and is being tweeted on twitter by the ever loveable royal reporting brigade. While I believe discussions have taken place, I only feel it’s right we define the facts now.

Actually it would seem that BP issued a memo. All the correspondents posted at the same time. That tends to signal something landing in their inbox.

Actually it would seem that BP issued a memo. All the correspondents posted at the same time. That tends to signal something landing in their inbox.

If BP issued a memo, we’d have seen it and royal reporters would have had no need to use the words royal sources, they could have just as easily and more credible in fact said that BP had told them.

To be honest, I'm scratching my head. I can certainly understand why they want to do this, and I don't blame them. But to not inform the Queen or anyone else before making the announcement? Strange. :ermm:

I certainly wonder about the authenticity of this "Breaking News" but it's not out of the realm of possibility, either. However, if this is true, then I hope that this isn't an indication that the Queen or any of the royal households have any intention of bending to the will of Harry and Meghan. There's absolutely nothing about any of this that should cause them to feel as though they have let H & M "win" after the way they've handled this. I'm not British so I can't say that I speak with for the British people but I'm almost certain that allowing their demands to be met and bending to their will would not be seen as a positive development.

Breaking news:

If Harry wanted to leave leave his life he should have done this quietly. And you know what more power to them in that case. Instead they have behaved like unstable, volatile brats. Throwing a tantrum to.force everyone's hand to basically do this quickly. This is basically a divorce.settlement and they will gwt some of what they want. No hard ball but I don't see it ending in happiness for Harry. And I hope very much his path would lead to that but some people do not have the talent for it and as others have said Harry is a follower in many ways and the combination of the two people has led to this.

Last edited:
If BP issued a memo, we’d have seen it and royal reporters would have had no need to use the words royal sources, they could have just as easily and more credible in fact said that BP had told them.

Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

@chrisshipitv So 24 hours after THAT statement from Harry and Meghan, the
Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"

I certainly wonder about the authenticity of this "Breaking News" but it's not out of the realm of possibility, either. However, if this is true, then I hope that this isn't an indication that the Queen or any of the royal households have any intention of bending to the will of Harry and Meghan. There's absolutely nothing about any of this that should cause them to feel as though they have let H & M "win" after the way they've handled this. I'm not British so I can't say that I speak with for the British people but I'm almost certain that allowing their demands to be met and bending to their will would not be seen as a positive development.

Well I can tell you from the street that there are a couple of responses. Hurt for the Queen amd all the other members of the family who just work and work
. The media were horrible and they are not in line anyway. Everyone however is now saying. We aren't paying for them.now are we. I see a lump sum from the family and removal of RPO's or ones to be paid privately. Restrictions about talking about family in public. All that stuff.

Last edited:
So you have two people from undoubtedly very dysfunctional families which has created some instability, put in very high profile situation with excessive media pressure, and Harry's wound of what happened to his mother due to these pressures, and his unwillingness to let the relationship evolve over time so that Meghan can acclimate, have combined to create the perfect storm - probably won't end in "happily ever after"!

So you have two people from undoubtedly very dysfunctional families which has created some instability, put in very high profile situation with excessive media pressure, and Harry's wound of what happened to his mother due to these pressures, and his unwillingness to let the relationship evolve over time so that Meghan can acclimate, have combined to create the perfect storm - probably won't end in "happily ever after"!

Basically.

Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

@chrisshipitv So 24 hours after THAT statement from Harry and Meghan, the
Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"

Again if it's true the method to rush things and to somewhat force the Queen to react was despicable, simply despicable.
I mean so publicy, from your own grandson ...
Don't talk about respect after that mate.

If the news was in the hands of the tabloids, they basically had no choice but to drop it themselves before the rag tabs got away with it. It's what I mean when I say there are divided loyalties within the BRF. Nothing is ever airtight, not when there are people blabbing.

The fact that all the senior Royals plus governments are meeting to find a solution for the Sussexes show me that the BRF and the British government wants to keep the Sussex-influence within the fold. Plus the BRF loves them. They know them and they love them. So it's not winning or losing a war IMHo but how to organize the whole debacle (which allegdly only happened because a "Royal source" threatened a leak!) into something resembling order. And what if they are not in Hull to open a community hall but in Canada or NZ to dine with the Prime Minister? They are Royals after all. Plus they surely will go on organizing community projects in Hull or elsewhere small.

And perhaps distance will do them good. Let's just wait and see.

I agree with you, Muhler! But I feel that their IG posting was the question to have more talks and to be taken more seriously. They dedicated their website to the service for HM the queen. And they spoke of their "intent" to step down as senior Royals - not that they do it. Just like it was "intended" for Camilla to become the Princess Consort when we all knew that Charles would never do anything to make it happen.

IMHO the ball is now in Charles' court and he loves and understands Harry and Meghan. Well see what will happen. IMHO Piers Morgan actually prove what H&M claim: that the media is biased and that there need to be another way for these two to go onbew. But which one? That remains to be seen.

Absolutely.

There is no other way out of this than getting together and negotiate a solution.
However, H&M are not in a position to dictate anything.
They will be lucky if just some of their wishes come true.
And it's not just the BRF they will be negotiating with. It's the British government - it's after all the British state that will foot some of the bill and it's the British government who will decide how much they wish to use H&M abroad in particular.

H&M may suddenly realize they are replaceable. More than they thought.
H&M played their hand too soon and they are left with no aces.

So I think a solution that will satisfy the BRF and the British government (read: The British public) but not necessarily H&M will be the most likely outcome of these negotiations. - It will be up to our resident Britons to assess how much they are willing to give H&M.

H&M have played their hand saying we want "a junior role", they can't retract now.
W&K would have some good cards left: Themselves and their children.
H&M have... what?
What can they do now? Threaten to remain "senior" royals? Threaten to take on more engagements? Threaten to stay only in Britain?
They can't even play the card saying: Then we'll go public saying we will step down embarrassing the BRF. They have already used that.
They have no cards left.

So H&M may get one wish fulfilled: They will become secondary royals - very secondary royals.

It will be interesting negotiations!

Last edited:

I hope the distance is good for them and they end up happy and in workable roles.

I really wish that they’d done what William and Kate did when they first got married. That time in Wales when he was working for the air ambulance was good for them. Limited engagements combined with a service job for him helped give Kate time to acclimate to her new role.

Meghan didn’t get that gentle transition and it would have been helpful in protecting her from some of this. It also hurt that her family has been so willing to profit off of her and harm her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom