The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I stated before, Harry has felt this was for a long time. I think the royal life was one of the reasons (obviously love and timing was another) that Chelsy and Cressida didn't work out.

I just thought he would never do it because in essence he would be leaving William to forge ahead by himself. Or if he did it would be long after George finished college or something. Not now.

And Muhler, Pranter is correct iMO. I have been around a long time and while all royal brides....Diana, Sarah, Sophie, Camilla and Kate have not had an easy entry...this was over the top. She didn't hold Archie the way normally people do, 4 article and tons of bullying on SM, wears black nail polish, crosses her legs in pictures, glances at Harry during a Remembrance ceremony moves closer and all of a sudden its an article. And let's not talk about all of the stories that were unanswered (she dated so and so, she was looking for a British husband, etc.). Or that nasty documentary (where Katie Hopkins and her sister talk about her) before she had Archie. She has not had an easy time of it to be sure. I am confident that that is playing a factor in this decision.

The truest thing she ever said was "I knew their would be interest and a lot of coverage but she thought it would be fair" and its not to be honest. It's not. Even yesterday, the Daily Mail printed inaccuracies about the renovation regarding the Frogmore cottage. Ones that are specifically mentioned in the lawsuit!

Last edited:
Well that is hardly surprising. I think a lot in people in the coming days, weeks, and months will blame everything on Meghan. Harry is a grown man. He was said to have wanted out long before Meghan was even in his life but of course it is always the woman.

Though I did have a chuckle at one man trying to put 100% blame on Meghan and then when asked to give an example of how she is a manipulative woman the man just fumbled all over himself.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/caller-meghan-dominates-harry-cant-give-example/

:ROFLMAO:You gotta laugh.

LaRae

As I stated before, Harry has felt this was for a long time. I think the royal life was one of the reasons (obviously love and timing was another) was one of the reasons that Chelsy and Cressida didn't work out.

I just thought he would never do it because in essence he would be leaving William to forge ahead by himself. Or if he did it would be long after George finished college or something. Not now.

And Muhler, Pranter is correct iMO. I have been around a long time and while all royal brides....Diana, Sarah, Sophie, Camilla and Kate have not had an easy entry...this was over the top. She didn't hold Archie the way normally people do, 4 article and tons of bullying on SM, wears black nail polish, crosses her legs in pictures, glances at Harry during a Remembrance ceremony moves closer and all of a sudden its an article. And let's not talk about all of the stories that were unanswered (she dated so and so, she was looking for a British husband, etc.). Or that nasty documentary (where Katie Hopkins and her sister talk about her) before she had Archie. She has not had an easy time of it to be sure. I am confident that that is playing a factor in this decision.

The truest thing she ever said was "I knew their would be interest and a lot of coverage but she thought it would be fair" and its not to be honest. It's not. Even yesterday, the Daily Mail printed inaccuracies about the renovation regarding the Frogmore cottage.

Just a thought - how much of it is due to Social media and the new way of news reporting worldwide?

I believe I did mention that. And dismissed it as silly - as I believe most people who read anything but the tabloids does.
Such ludicrous examples can be found about almost every royal in existence.

I'm talking of the press coverage as a whole. And I don't recall the BBC or the Times mentioning avocados. ?

Have you actually seen how many times the ppl here use tabloid articles to back their point? You can dismiss it as silly but that is the reality of what we see ppl using as 'evidence'. Press coverage as a whole has been atrocious. Social Media has been a absolute zoo.

LaRae

Harry hasn't been happy for a long time well before he met Meghan. They said they would continue to support the The Queen , Prince Charles, and the Duke of Cambridge. Along with doing their duties. I think they will be able to have a life they want away from Britain and raise their son and any other children.

First it is claimed no one was told. Now today everyone new and Harry ignored them and announce it any way. Please I don't believe half the crap. I don' think this was a secret I don't see Harry doing that so no everyone new it was coming.The only one's who didn't know were the one's not in on the discussions.

I don't think it is being denied that H & M had raised the prospect of wanting to make changes, but it is claimed they did not tell the Queen or anybody else that they were issuing the statement last night.
The statement had an element of this is what we are doing, take it or leave it.

That website and statement was well prepared, I also think there is an element of trying to force the issue, they do appear to want their cake and eat it, this could be the downfall,

As I stated before, Harry has felt this was for a long time. I think the royal life was one of the reasons (obviously love and timing was another) was one of the reasons that Chelsy and Cressida didn't work out.

The truest thing she ever said was "I knew their would be interest and a lot of coverage but she thought it would be fair" and its not to be honest. It's not. Even yesterday, the Daily Mail printed inaccuracies about the renovation regarding the Frogmore cottage. Ones that are specifically mentioned in the lawsuit!

I mean even Archie. That poor child was barely a day old when he got a taste of his first racist experience. Honestly was anyone surprised? Harry is insanely protective of Meghan but you would imagine it is that times 10 with Archie. It is just fact that the Sussexes will experience different hardships than any of the other royals. They all have had it rough but there is some that is unique and that hurt and frustration other can't understand.

Fortunately I'm not. ;) :king3:

Basically there can only be one thing to do: Talk about it. Discuss options and alternatives and approaches. If need be tell them what to do and not to do.
And make sure no one acts on their own initiative.

What else would there be to do? :ermm:

We are seemingly looking at what happens when you don't.:ohmy:

This is what has disturbed me the most about this - how bad must H& M believe it to be to have gone down this route. I understand that a leak may have played their hand. But something has gone very wrong with the communication between the royals

I have a very strong impression that they are simply willing to be relieved from the burdens and restrictions of being Royal Family "senior" members (and that's just fine with me, but...) yet retain and profit (as they would need money!) from their position.

OH Social Media played a HUGE PART in how the Sussexes were reported and treated.

And for everyone who talks about what Kate experienced...social media was around but in no way was it like how it is now. Remember when KP had to block people? Was that even a thought or option when Kate was first married.

Now don't get me wrong..the way this handled was not good. And a lot of the issues that the Sussexes face they brought on themselves but I don't think you should minimize the bullying that Meghan faced. And yes, what was written and said about her when she was pregnant was ridiculous! And I think as an American, that could be hard to listen or hear and not respond to it. And that is/was the BRF way of thinking....don't respond unless its absolutely outrageous.

I am sure that was hard for both of them to live with.

I mean even Archie. That poor child was barely a day old when he got a taste of his first racist experience. Honestly was anyone surprised? Harry is insanely protective of Meghan but you would imagine it is that times 10 with Archie. It is just fact that the Sussexes will experience different hardships than any of the other royals. They all have had it rough but there is some that is unique and that hurt and frustration other can't understand.

Yes different for sure, nothing more and nothing less than the other members of the BRF. Each person has their own story, their own background, their own weakness, their own wound.
I don't think the over victimization of Meghan is a good card to play.

Thinking the Daily Mail would be "fair" is like thinking the National Enquirer or other U.S. tabloids would be "fair." They are in business to sensationalize, not report accurately.

Does anybody think that they forced the issue thinking they would get what they wanted which is a way to earn their own money but still do royal duties as and when, or do they really want out full stop, and were fed up with delays. The thing is they were away for at least 6 weeks, I know there is e mail and skype etc but surely this should have been discussed in a face to face situation with all relevant parties.

I don't know about the royals but I am shattered with it all.

After contemplation and talking with people, I think I pretty much can paint a picture of what is happening now with this recent announcement from the Sussexes.

Its as if Harry and Meghan are trying to cross a bridge that hasn't completely been built yet and its pretty wobbly and unsafe to say the least. They're now racing like mad to get to the other side of the bridge because it seems that the bridge is pretty much a raging inferno looking back and they're doing a good job of imitating Indiana Jones as they frantically hustle to get to safety before the bridge hurtles them into the deep and dark void lurking below. What a cliffhanger eh? :D

So much needs to be clarified and parameters set on just how this is all going to work and its correct, IMO, to think that H&M will *not* call the shots on this and most likely will be presented with either/or options and there may even be compromises. Its not a case of having their cake and eating it too but rather sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for the oven door to slam and deflate a souffle that is still baking. Souffles take extreme caution and care to ensure they turn out right. ;)

Just a thought - how much of it is due to Social media and the new way of news reporting worldwide?

I think this is key--social media is definitely a driving force these days--it brings out the worst in people who hide behind pseudonyms and their keyboards. And the tabloids (not the legit media--there is a difference) tag along, pretending it is news.

If they will "Provide access to credible media outlets focused on objective news reporting to cover key moments and events" then you are excluding only deliberatel biased forms of journalism - ie 'cranks', politicians and extremists. Every news source is 'credible' and 'objective'. Are they taking a gratuitous pop at the BBC? Piers? A hereditary institution cannot operate in a blatantly politicised way (although they do latently). Is this how they get the UK used to Brexit by americanising the way our royal family works?
Every news source is 'credible' and 'objective'??!!! LOL!!! I don't agree with what Harry and Meghan are doing but I admire their ability to recognize the tabloids for what they are - toilet paper with pictures.

What a lot of nonsense over nothing!!Really,they do know how to get attention don´t they!Wonder whom Harry has those genes from.....

If they don't wish to be in the spotlight so what!!
Let them earn their own income,like all other members in most if not all other Monarchies do,what's so special about that that it needs to be hyped up!?Nada,nada at all.Really,annoying trill seekers

Thinking the Daily Mail would be "fair" is like thinking the National Enquirer or other U.S. tabloids would be "fair." They are in business to sensationalize, not report accurately.

Right but remember....until she dated and married into the BRF (like Kate) there was not a lot of interest in her. She barely made it to People and US Magazine (maybe one or two articles when she married and divorced). The difference is that Kate is English and she knew how the British media could be. Meghan had no idea as she readily admits. People warned her but she didn't think it would be this intense.

I am just saying there is enough blame to go around.

I think this is key--social media is definitely a driving force these days--it brings out the worst in people who hide behind pseudonyms and their keyboards. And the tabloids (not the legit media--there is a difference) tag along, pretending it is news.

Not only treating it as legitimate news but its hard to combat a rumor on social media. What's the saying...the internet is forever!

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I think it will be a bumpy ride for Meghan and Harry. They will discover that you can't have one foot in and one foot out.

Last edited:
Yes different for sure, nothing more and nothing less than the other members of the BRF. Each person has their own story, their own background, their own weakness, their own wound.
I don't think the over victimization of Meghan is a good card to play.

I don't think one "cruelty" is more than the other but I do think some of downplaying how much of a massive difference it has been for Meghan in a lot of ways in this current atmosphere. And that can be extremely frustrating.

Just this morning watching GMB and seeing people talking of this and when one lady said Kate experienced the same as Meghan and she said "being judged for her skin color?" and the lady kind of cringed. It is just facts here.

That said I agree that mistakes have been had by everyone. No denying that. I also think the way they went about this statement was problematic especially if the others did not know, which seems to be the case.

I don’t want to second guess Harry and Meghan’s parenting skills and it is not up to me to do it, but they took their 5-month son on an 11-hour flight and a two-week tour of Southern Africa. That doesn’t seem like something overprotective parents would do. Then they subjected him to another abrupt change of environment on a six-week stay in Canada in the late fall/early winter.

Anyway , the important point here is that yesterday’s announcement has little to do, I think, with protecting Archie or anything of that sort, but rather with Harry and Meghan’s wish to be free agents and carve out their “ new progressive role” without any supervision basically telling everybody else that they should take it or leave it.

And, yes, either because of his own emotional issues, or because someone ( Meghan or whoever) put him up to it, Harry was led to believe that he is underappreciated or is being held back by the Royal Family and that he should rise against that to reach his full potential. It is arrogant, pretentious and , even worse, detached from reality ( even paranoid), but it appears to be what happened.

Last edited:
Social media is unfortunately a huge problem. Several Members of Parliament stood down at the election last month because of the abuse they were having to put up with, and pop stars and sports players have also spoken out about some of the stuff that's been aimed at them. And it does seem that women get more hassle than men, so I sympathise with Meghan on that. I wish there was a way of controlling it. But stepping back from royal duties isn't going to stop people from saying things on social media.

Does anybody think that they forced the issue thinking they would get what they wanted which is a way to earn their own money but still do royal duties as and when, or do they really want out full stop, and were fed up with delays. The thing is they were away for at least 6 weeks, I know there is e mail and skype etc but surely this should have been discussed in a face to face situation with all relevant parties.

I don't know about the royals but I am shattered with it all.

Well based on the new reports it appears Harry spoke briefly to The Queen and Charles over this break to talk about this transition. It seems he was a bit brushed off over it and I would guess grew frustrated? That seems to be the angle we are getting now.

This Morning had correspondent Camilla Tominey on and she implied that the royals saw this 6 week break as time of reflection and a recharge for the Sussexes in hopes they would return to the royal fold. Only the opposite clearly happened. So then conversation a week ago started again and well then last night happened.

But who really knows.

Have you actually seen how many times the ppl here use tabloid articles to back their point? You can dismiss it as silly but that is the reality of what we see ppl using as 'evidence'. Press coverage as a whole has been atrocious. Social Media has been a absolute zoo.

LaRae

I have. - And that's why the BRF threads have been closed temporarily so many times. People, understandably, are up in arms over some of the atrocious things written.
But these are not examples of the whole media-coverage.

So I still disagree with you Pranter and Zonk. I believe Meghan has been treated reasonably by the mainstream press. And here I mean BBC, the Times, the New York Times as well as the local papers.

It is a well known, albeit deplorable fact that the British tabloids are world-leaders in being rude. - Whether that can continue is open to debate.
So yes, they would have a go at Meghan as they have had at others. And if it sells they go further. And way beyond, orders of magnitudes beyond, what is acceptable in most other countries.
But the British tabloids do not represent the entire British press, nor do the represent the British public, even though they love to claim they do.

So yes, the British press are bad (and IMO in serious need of control) but those who have read the Spanish threads know what has been said in public and in pretty serious papers there about Queen Letizia. That can easily rival what has been said about Meghan!

Within their confines the Swedish press has been pretty harsh on Madeleine. There even seemed to be a genuine consensus there that she couldn't do anything right. At all.

The German gossip magazines are infamous for inventing and even fabricating stories about royals. The British tabloids being unimaginative in comparison.

It's what they write in the papers Joe and Jolene Average, the middle class family from the suburbs, don't mind having lying on the living room table when you come visiting that matters IMO.

And it's when those media turn against you, that you are in trouble. H&M are in that position. If not before then certainly now.

Last edited:
Interesting points in the Jobson article - sounds like basically H&M told the immediate family "we want out" as they neared the end of their 6-week break in Canada, and the response was "well, come up with a plan as to how this is going to work and we'll talk when you get home." What they have come up with is not, as many here have pointed out, a plan but rather a wishlist. So, they were, again, told "no meetings with Pa or Granny until you can show us how this is going to work, how are all of these issues addressed." And they were specifically told that HM would not discuss the Sussex plans until they had worked out most of the details with the POW. Yesterday's bombshell announcement and website reveal was basically H&M having a very public temper tantrum that they weren't being given their way automatically but instead being asked to really think about all those details and figure out exactly how it would work within the confines of the monarchy and continuing to support HM and their Commonwealth roles. None of what HM or the POW were asking for was unreasonable. What is unreasonable is just how petulantly H&M have handled all of this.

I don't know that I think Meghan is driving all of this. Harry has expressed the desire to just "run away from it all" many times in the past. At best, one could characterize Meghan as enabling all of this, simply by asking Harry "why do we have to do this again?" She's a smart, capable woman who has made her own way in the world for much of her life, and lived quite fearlessly and confidently. She strikes me as the type of person who is a change agent - she refuses to be miserable and takes action to change her circumstances. I can see her influencing Harry to be more proactive rather than reactive.

I do think the tabloid press' mistreatment of Meghan is a factor but it's not the only one. It was pretty clear, last year, when their press team was moved from KP to BP and the rumors about them wanting and being denied their own household on the same level as BP, CH, and KP, that they didn't understand/recognize they were simply a younger version of HM's younger children and their destiny was to be along the lines of the Wessexes. They simply believed their star would always shine as brightly as the Cambridge star, which isn't the way the BRF works.

In that vein, I can believe that the latest portrait of the direct line of succession might very well have been "the final straw" as reported by Wooton in The Sun yesterday. They might very well have felt that this was a very passive-aggressive slap in the face to them, that the rest of the family simply do not understand their star power and that Harry & family will always be extra-special, because he is one of Diana's boys, and how dare BP, CH, and KP disregard this in favor of highlighting the direct line of succession, especially while continuing to rely upon H&M to carry on as "senior royals"? It might seem illogical to those of us observing all this as it plays out but emotions aren't always logical.

I don’t want to second guess Harry and Meghan’s parenting skills and it is not up to me to do it, but they took their 5-month son on an 11-hour flight and a two-week tour of Southern Africa. That doesn’t seem like something overprotective parents would do. Then they subjected him to another abrupt change of environment on a six-week stay in Canada in the late fall/early winter.

Well, that is easier to do with a baby than with a todler, so 'subjecting' is a bit too dramatic a word to choose. I agree with the rest.

Well Robert Jobson who has close ties in Prince Charles' office has is own POV. Interesting read.

According to him Harry tried to hold meetings with HMQ and Charles a few times and was brushed off repeatedly. I have no doubt the "punishment" will happen but clearly Harry is prepared for it.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...rkle-defied-plans-senior-royals-a4330341.html

The article did not say or imply that Meghan and Harry were brushed off (actually, the opposite) though clearly and unsurprisingly they interpreted it as such. Prince Charles told them that they needed more time to work this out before making anything official, and the Queen - who wanted to meet with Harry - told Harry that he needed to discuss this with his father first. The Sussex’ outright defiance of the Queen and their disregard for Prince Charles is outrageous...

As I expected there will be a review of the Sussexes' protection now.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/meghan-markle-prince-harry-scotland-yard-a4330231.html

A senior source told the Evening Standard: “Royal Protection by armed Metropolitan Police officers is mandated by the Home Office.
“Until now their official roles mean the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their son are classified as internationally protected people.
"That stays in place for now. But as the circumstances have changed there will now be a full review.
“If the Sussexes intend to live abroad, and not just carry out international official visits abroad, it will involve far more resources.
"This will have to be reviewed and signed off by the Commissioner. There is no guarantee it will be granted.”

In all of this mess, I can't help but have so much respect for Princess Beatrice and Eugenie. They wanted to be a part of the firm, they were shut down by Prince Charles, so they got jobs in both the UK and the US while supporting their charities, their family and the queen. If anyone deserves to have a bigger role after their H&M debacle, it's them. These two have really pulled their weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom