The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so disappointed with these two. Honestly, they are behaving like angry, spoiled, petulant brats. If they can’t have it all their way, then they will just leave it all. Good riddance.

Reactions: Fem
^ Agreed... their arrogance simply astounds..

Last edited:
I suspect Harry and Meghan are going to be a bit like the EU of the Royal Family. Not nearly as popular as everyone around them tells them they are....

Well people been saying this and how unimportant they are their entire relationship. So just people spouting that at them is just another day that ends in "Y" really. They clearly knew this would not be taken well and they would be ripped apart. They decided to walk away anyways. Says a lot actually.

Also royal correspondent Roya says that HMQ, Charles, and William were aware of their intentions to leave but no one had any idea the statement would come out tonight. She also expresses that someone (a bitter courtier?) leaked it to the Sun which prompted them to get on top of it and release their statement.

Last edited:
I find it more and more worrying that no statement has been issued by the court, saying something - anything!

It's been four hours since the news broke the court ought to have issued at least a comment by now.

The more time that passes, the more credence there is to the speculations that this was a unilateral decision that has not been discussed by the other senior members of the BRF.

By noon tomorrow this silence will be interpreted a major rift within the BRF, no matter what the court and members of the BRF says afterwards.
There can IMO be no other logic interpretation for a continued silence from the court.

Okay, if, repeat if, H&M have unilaterally decided to go solo, so to speak, I don't think they are in any position to decide what future roles they may have. Especially if they haven't told the rest of the BRF. That would be naive.
The BP put together a quick statement and I think it's all we're gonna get today. The timing is not working in their favour - late evening and all. They'll probably need some time to regroup and decide how they're going to go about it.

May I suggest that the thread title be changed to “the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to step back [....] ?

The BBC said that sources are saying this no way to treat a 93 year old. Also that the Queen, Charles and William found out a week ago that the Sussexes wanted something different and we're just beginning to think about what that would be.

It is very very sad for all of them. They are also saying this won't happen because you are in or you are out.

You know I am astounded by the polarisation of Meghan and how people shout about the racism of the press but most of that is social media and how on earth do you even begin to tackle that. You can't. And it just makes me sad for her too because she is being defended because she is a woman of colour like it is her only story. She is many thinks and has much to offer and she doesn't deserve such a unitary story.

Last edited:
Well how about this little tidbit. Tom Bradby was just on ITV news saying that the family were well aware of what Harry and Meghan wanted. It seemed it didn't mean to come out yet but someone inside leaked it to The Sun (it was their big exclusive last night) and that prompted them to put out the statement. He was on GMB this morning kind of talking around it but back tonight on ITV basically confirming people close to them were well aware as were the royals. So that is interesting...

He seems like their spokesperson given that he also did the documentary in South Africa. So, this can be seen as H&M's version.

BP confirmed that they were aware that H&M wanted 'a different approach' but that is very far from launching a statement and website telling the world how you envision things to work out when according to BP all is in 'an early stage'; i.e., hardly anything seems to have been agreed upon/figured out in close collaboration with the rest of the family.

I don't think they build this website in one day/today because The Sun was gonna leak. The exact timing might have been influenced but they were clearly prepared to share their version of events while the Palace seems to have been surprised by this sudden action.

Last edited:
He seems like their spokesperson given that he also did the documentary in South Africa. So, this can be seen as H&M's version.

BP confirmed that they were aware that H&M wanted 'a different approach' but that is very far from launching a statement and website telling the world how you envision things to work out when according to BP all is in 'an early stage'; i.e., hardly anything seems to have been agreed upon/figured out in close collaboration with the rest of the family.

I don't think they built this website today because The Sun was gonna leak. The exact timing might have been influenced but they were clearly prepared to share their version of events while the Palace seems to have been surprised by this sudden action.

The BBC suggesting that the Queen and other senior royals were not consulted and that they are understood to be “ hurt” is significant. I mean, that is the BBC , not THe Sun or The Daily Mail.

The BBC said that sources are saying this no way to treat a 93 year old. Also that the Queen, Charles and William found out a week ago that the Sussexes wanted something different and we're just beginning to think about what that would be.

It is very very sad for all of them. They are also saying this won't because you are in or you are out.

This is very sad and he showed no respect to his almost 94 & 99 year old grandparents who have dutiful worked their whole lives

Which I read as saying they were taken by surprise and still don’t know what to make of it.

No matter where one stands in the debate, the way the Sussexes did it (basically pushing the Palace into a corner) is unforgivable in my humble opinion. It is “ my way or the highway” on steroids really.

That is exactly how it appears. There is no question at this point that they are going rogue and doing it without consideration to others that will be affected. I see nothing but pure self interest in these decisions and actions without regard to TRF. Really bizarre.

Did the website url change? It is now https://sussexofficial.uk, wasn't it sussexroyal.com as noted on the first post of this thread?

ETA:
Nevermind, it is working now, maybe it was a temporary crash.

Last edited:
This is very sad and he showed no respect to his almost 94 & 99 year old grandparents who have dutiful worked their whole lives

Who Harry himself said on her diamond jubilee had given up everything she wanted and put her duty before herself. I get that he may not want the same but their is a material trade off and their are worse situations to be born into.

I don't think they build this website in one day/today because The Sun was gonna leak. The exact timing might have been influenced but they were clearly prepared to share their version of events while the Palace seems to have been surprised by this sudden action.

Other correspondents are saying the same thing though. Not just him. The family were not unaware that Harry and Meghan wanted out. What I am suspecting based on all that is being said is that they expected this "transition" to have taking much longer to happen. At least a few weeks. But it seems that The Sun sped things up on the Sussexes end for whatever reason. That is being made clear.

But basically some people are saying that these aloof and racists nonagerians got what they derserved.
This World is a mess, really ...

Other correspondents are saying the same thing though. Not just him. The family were not unaware that Harry and Meghan wanted out. What I am suspecting based on all that is being said is that they expected this "transition" to have taking much longer to happen. At least a few weeks. But it seems that The Sun sped things up on the Sussexes end for whatever reason. That is being made clear.

OH please like the papers don't hold off on stories and do deals. That is ridiculous...they do,it all the time. This is a transactional relationship.

I wasn't surprised by this choice but I'm disappointed at the way the Sussexes went about it. If I were in their position, I would at least consult HM or Prince Charles about how I could go about this - it's giving off the feel of kids running away from home because they don't get on with their parents. I normally like the Sussexes and supported them in their decision to file a lawsuit, but this wasn't the best way to go about the "next step" IMO.

OH please like the papers don't hold off on stories and do deals. That is ridiculous...they do,it all the time. This is a transactional relationship.

Well clearly not. Wootton was pretty proud of his scoop despite people slagging him off all last night. Either way it was leaked and now they have responded.

I mean honestly Harry and Meghan were irrelevant in the grand scheme if things right> That is what was constantly said, so I am not sure why some of the same people are not upset they are gone. That is exactly what they wanted.

And their new website is sussexroyal.com for the one who asked.

There has been a statement from BP saying that it is 'more complicated' and that discussions are at 'an early stage'.

Thank you.

Is that all the statement says?
Because if so, it is very clear to me, and being as detached as possible, that the court was taken by surprise.

Because this announcement by H&M ought to have been followed up by a clear statement from the palace within the hour.

So logic says that this was not coordinated, that H&M's future role has not been finally resolved.
Going out without co-coordinating with the palace just because a tabloid has gotten hold of the news in advance is IMO reckless, ill-advised, inconsiderate and amateurish.

Okay, so a next question is: Since the palace issued a statement basically saying that there were ongoing, complicated talks with the BRF in regards to this move by H&M, were H&M trying to force the rest of the BRF by presenting them with a fait accompli? I.e. a way of getting their way?
Because by outlining their future role and intentions in their statement, H&M have put the BRF in a most difficult situation!

The BRF can hardly go out saying "no way!" That would officially turn this into a major rift between the BRF and H&M.
So the BRF is forced in some way to express support for H&M's decision in order not to be seen left standing there with their pants down.

But anyone can see that. So I fear such a unilateral move will do H&M much more damage, especially in regards to the British population, than gaining them sympathy.
And it will still be up to the rest of the BRF to de facto decide H&M's future role, whether H&M have realized this or not.

Well clearly not. Wootton was pretty proud of his scoop despite people slagging him off all last night. Either way it was leaked and now they have responded.

I mean honestly Harry and Meghan were irrelevant in the grand scheme if things right> That is what was constantly said, so I am not sure why some of the same people are not upset they are gone. That is exactly what they wanted.

File not found at sussexroyal.com. Everything is at sussexofficial.uk but I can't recall whether or not that is a change from before this afternoon/evening's announcement.

Frankly, I find this pretty shameful of them. I'm in agreement with the sentiments already expressed by wyevale and Lumutqueen. They will soon find they cannot have their cake and eat it too.

If the Sussexes wanted the element of surprise as a sort of leverage, they have it. For about 48 hours is my guess.

Then they lose whatever advantage they might have had because I find it hard to believe that no one at BP has long since gamed out what might happen if they took this tack.

Interesting days ahead at BP, BBC, DM, etc.

And that means interesting days at The Royal Forums as well. God bless the mods!

Did the website url change? It is now https://sussexofficial.uk, wasn't it sussexroyal.com as noted on the first post of this thread?

ETA:
Nevermind, it is working now, maybe it was a temporary crash.

Sussexroyal (.com!) is their current site (brand) with all about how they see their future roles; Sussexofficial (.uk!) is where they announced their statement about taking matters to court.

It was hardly a scoop and should have forced no one's hand. In succession issues Meghan and Harry are unimportant but as working members of the family they are not. They had/have a job support the nation and charities and be seen. That job was still important, to use your platform to give a voice to the voiceless. Arguably they can still do this but without the institution as a platform, I cannot see that lasting long. Most celebrity philanthropists do it along with their job and can only do it because of their job. Most moneyed people can only do it because they are loaded. Meghan and Harry are not really wither of those things and it remains to be seen whether the star power translates without the engine,

I think the truth most likely lies somewhere in the middle.

I can well believe that the Sussex's had indicated their wish to step back and do things differently. Most likely done from their break in Canada. So in that sense, yes,the RF had an idea something was going to happen but exactly what, when, how etc was likely not discussed. I can well imagine that likewise HM and Charles probably expected further talks once the Sussex's had returned home. Who is going to negotiate details of such importance - effectively in many ways a divorce - over the phone UK to Canada.

So while aides were possibly investigating ways this could work but fully expecting plenty more time to talk it through- likely with HM having had time to think about her desired approach and outcome- H&M were commissioning the people who did Meghan's old tig website to put their desired outcome into a website format.

Some are saying that the Sun leaked news (or was about to) of the Sussex's plans and this spurned the Sussex's to make their statement and put their website live. I think the website will have hurt BP most as it basically is the Sussex's desired outcomes, that do not seem to have been agreed, in an attempt (or possibly by accident if we are being kind) to get their desired outcome. The 'answers' to the FAQs are so detailed it seems as if they are almost setting out their case for their desired outcome.

Reactions: Fem
Thank you.

Is that all the statement says?
Because if so, it is very clear to me, and being as detached as possible, that the court was taken by surprise.

Because this announcement by H&M ought to have been followed up by a clear statement from the palace within the hour.

So logic says that this was not coordinated, that H&M's future role has not been finally resolved.
The full (but short) statement can easily be found on the website of the BRF. It came out rather quickly given that it seems they didn't or hardly receive a heads up.

Key phrases are: discussions at an early stage/understand desire different approach/complicated issues/take time.

And yes, all points in the direction of all being very premature and no agreements reached on how to proceed; the only exception is the Sussex website that explains in some detail how the two of them envision their (rather unrealistic imho) future roles.

Last edited:
This is such a mess of...epic proportions. It's a manipulations of so many different people and different scenarios.

They included the bit about being "financially independent" in hopes it would curry support from British Taxpayer. (Cheers mates, we don't have to pay for you! Brilliant!)

They made their announcement, without seemingly having an actual plan in place with the Royal Family (who seem honestly blindsided, and now trying to save face)... and in doing so, meant they get to keep their titles and HRH for the time being. Because now, if the palace comes out and tells them, "You want to be independent, be independent, but do it without being a Duke of Sussex or an HRH." They look retalitory.

This whole thing looks like a couple of petulant, over indulged teenagers who want to have their cake and eat it too.

It was hardly a scoop and should have forced no one's hand. In succession issues Meghan and Harry are unimportant but as working members of the family they are not. They had/have a job support the nation and charities and be seen. That job was still important, to use your platform to give a voice to the voiceless. Arguably they can still do this but without the institution as a platform, I cannot see that lasting long. Most celebrity philanthropists do it along with their job and can only do it because of their job. Most moneyed people can only do it because they are loaded. Meghan and Harry are not really wither of those things and it remains to be seen whether the star power translates without the engine,

Clearly something happened. I am not saying I disagree with you but for them to do something this drastic says something was not right. The aids were just saying they were in many meetings yesterday. Was it about this? Many questions. This didn't just happen overnight and despite the spin... I doubt anyone in the family are that shocked they wanted to walk away.

I think the truth most likely lies somewhere in the middle.

I can well believe that the Sussex's had indicated their wish to step back and do things differently. Most likely done from their break in Canada. So in that sense, yes,the RF had an idea something was going to happen but exactly what, when, how etc was likely not discussed. I can well imagine that likewise HM and Charles probably expected further talks once the Sussex's had returned home. Who is going to negotiate details of such importance - effectively in many ways a divorce - over the phone UK to Canada.

So while aides were possibly investigating ways this could work but fully expecting plenty more time to talk it through- likely with HM having had time to think about her desired approach and outcome- H&M were commissioning the people who did Meghan's old tig website to put their desired outcome into a website format.

Some are saying that the Sun leaked news (or was about to) of the Sussex's plans and this spurned the Sussex's to make their statement and put their website live. I think the website will have hurt BP most as it basically is the Sussex's desired outcomes, that do not seem to have been agreed, in an attempt (or possibly by accident if we are being kind) to get their desired outcome. The 'answers' to the FAQs are so detailed it seems as if they are almost setting out their case for their desired outcome.

I wish people on twitter were this logical and rational. No, I do not think it comes as a surprise to anyone at BP, that H&M were unhappy and looking to do things different. I'm sure conversations were had. The surprise was in the fact that they made an announcement today, and went ahead with their launch, seemingly without a plan in place. And it truly doesn't seem there was a plan in place. Harry is supposed to be one of 4 key members in the succession, how does that now work?

This is a couple who very clearly likes the shock and awe factor and the attention it brings them. But I can see this going poorly very quickly. At least in Britain.

If the Sussexes wanted the element of surprise as a sort of leverage, they have it. For about 48 hours is my guess.

Then they lose whatever advantage they might have had because I find it hard to believe that no one at BP has long since gamed out what might happen if they took this tack.

Interesting days ahead at BP, BBC, DM, etc.

And that means interesting days at The Royal Forums as well. God bless the mods!

Indeed I agree. It will be an interesting week but by the end of it the House of Windsor will win the war because they are ruthless in order to survive and I would not want to be on the wrong side. Many things will happen over the week and there will be a brief statement from on high basically leaving Harry and Meghan with not very much but probably giving them some cash so they won't use their titles for monetary gain.and in the end, when we and they are all gone people will look at it and see the ones who sacrificed because of the genetic nonlottery, who lived dutiful lives and feel respect and admiration for what they did and what they gave up. And that too is sad because Harry too has done good work to date.

Last edited:
This seems to be the above referenced story from The Sun. It was published on the newspaper's website on Tuesday, January 7.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10693487/prince-harry-meghan-move-to-canada/

It says:

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are looking to move to Canada for a significant portion of this year as they actively consider their future role in the Royal Family.

Long-term options being floated include the Sussexes relinquishing their HRH titles or relocating their office to Canada.

The Sun has learned they will start discussing their plans with senior royals – expected to include the Queen and Prince Charles – in the coming days.

But sources stressed the talks are preliminary and nothing has yet been finalised.

[...]

The article then quotes further details from anonymous "friends of the couple".

Clearly something happened. I am not saying I disagree with you but for them to do something this drastic says something was not right. The aids were just saying they were in many meetings yesterday. Was it about this? Many questions. This didn't just happen overnight and despite the spin... I doubt anyone in the family are that shocked they wanted to walk away.

I agree. The fact that they released this information without the consulting of BP is disappointing but is also concerning. It definitely seems like a "third party" was involved here. It just seems fishy and out of character for Harry and Meghan who have been involved with so many charities and engagements connected to the BRF - especially Harry with his Walking With The Wounded and Invitcus Games involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom