The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thought, from devil's advocate!
Did they just jump, before they were pushed? And therefore upset the Palace by getting their spoke in first??

If this is true this all got much weirder and sadder.

I wouldn't be completely surprised. The rather detailed website by the Sussexes, their statement ('we have decided' and 'share full details as we... collaborate with HM, PoW and DoC') and the BP statement ('an early stage' is a very polite way of saying "nothing has been figured out yet" - especially in combination with 'it's complicated'), suggest that this is all of their own doing and very little or no involvement of the key players in the BRF.

I would hope they at least had the decency to inform the family and not have them learn about it at the same time as the general public. And: why the rush? Were they afraid to be talked out of this idea and therefore decided to publish first and then discuss? Otherwise, I would think it would have been best to first figure things out and only then make it public in some kind of joint statements - or at least statements that complement each other instead of give very different messages.

I think Meghan is about to discover what Harry should have always known. The House of Windsor survives at any cost. This will blow up. And who knows who the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be in a weeks time. You have every right to make the decisions you want but are powerless to control other people's reactions to it.

I hope this marriage works for Harry now as he will be isolated I feel in many ways from his family. But to be honest I have always felt tbe marriage was shaky. I am also really pleased that William has an alternative family in the Middletons.

I think they already are well aware of it. Likely what prompted this action.

It's still a "source" until we get an official statement we have no real indication as to what the rest of the BRF really think.

This item isn’t click bait as it’s “not for profit” BBC royal correspondent who doesn’t do wild speculation. So Consider it as really indicative.

That is so disrespectful. The Queen’s father probably died young in large part because of the stresses the Kingship put on him. The Queen herself sacrificed family time with Charles and Anne because duty came first - even though it must have killed her. Now Harry essentially skips out on his duties and responsibilities, leaving everyone else to pick up the slack, and he did so without consulting the Queen and obviously his father. It feels like he’s rejecting everything his family stands for, and that’s heartbreaking

My thoughts exactly

Btw this was on the front page of the New York Times and most of the comments were pro the decision though they admitted no concept of thr point of the brf

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s just me, but I would find it really strange and hard to believe if the Queen and Prince Charles hadn’t known about this. I do however get the feeling that harry felt the decision had already been made while BP was still in the proces of deciding. It can happen if you’ve already made up your mind while the other party is still trying to decide how to close the door you’ve already closed.

https://sussexroyal.com/funding/

It's mostly laid out on their page.

Read the full page but that doesn't answer my question at all. My question was about what kind of income they expect to earn. I don't read anything on that. They only keep repeating 'financial independence'; but if you did understand how they expect to earn their 'professional income', I'd love to know.

I can just see Harry with them now.

My wife says you don't support me enough.

I can do much more.

My wife says I have star power and you are stifling me.

Marriage changes family dynamics it just does but this entire thing is just so sad for Harry. So sad. Who else does he have?

This item isn’t click bait as it’s “not for profit” BBC royal correspondent who doesn’t do wild speculation. So Consider it as really indicative.

That may be, but it's my impression that right now everybody are running around like headless chickens and all sorts of rumors are abound.

What really puzzles me is why this wasn't published by the court.
It does gives me reason to fear that this is a unilateral and pretty spontaneous decision by H&M.
If so they will have placed the BRF in a most awkward situation.

The BRF can't go out and say H&M acted on their own and that they are on their own. That's an official rift in the BRF.
So in some way the BRF are forced to support this in some way.

I think they already are well aware of it. Likely what prompted this action.

Why? Because of things like--Meghan and Harry wanted their own office and were told by the Queen no, that BP would be the home of their offices. Because they couldn't, as senior royals, just do things as they pleased.

But apparently they are just going to show the BRF that they jolly well will do as they please. But I don't think it all go as they expect.

Last edited:
Regarding Frogmore Cottage. I assume Harry and Meghan are aware that non-senior royals have to pay rent to live on royal properties. They don't mention that when discussing Frogmore Cottage on their website.
Maybe that's why they still want to be representing HM? You know, do enough so that they wouldn't have to pay. Or maybe they think Prince Charles will be funding them fully now?

This is all too sad. So rushed, so unprepared, if the sources are true and Harry's closest family wasn't not only consulted, but even informed earlier... My heart is breaking for Prince Charles and William.

Not to mention their funding page is weird. Someone who wrote it was very skilled in talking in circles without giving any solid informations on how things are supposed to work - but I guess they don't know that, so...
:sad::sad::sad:

The BRF are “hurt” by these maverick actions:

Well, I'm sure that Harry and Meghan were "hurt" by the lack of support form the family when Meghan was harassed/bullied/abused throughout her entire pregnancy and postpartum stage with lies and half-truths. All while both were working on projects/tours to help the BRF & the UK.

Maybe that's why they still want to be representing HM? You know, do enough so that they wouldn't have to pay. Or maybe they think Prince Charles will be funding them fully now?

This is all too sad. So rushed, so unprepared, if the sources are true and Harry's closest family wasn't not only consulted, but even informed earlier... My heart is breaking for Prince Charles and William.

Not to mention their funding page is weird. Someone who wrote it was very skilled in talking in circles without giving any solid informations on how things are supposed to work - but I guess they don't know that, so...
:sad::sad::sad:

My heart is breaking for Harry, Meghan & Archie...they are ones who endured all negative attitudes I described above with little support from "Harry's closest family", especially after all the times Harry publicly supported Catherine when the media was trying to dump on her. Harry is doing what he feels is best to protect his wife & child....his true closest family.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess to step back as Senior Royals: January 2020.

The new Sussex Royal website was made by Article, a digital media company based in Toronto. It's the same design firm that worked on The Tig, Meghan's lifestyle website.

Via The Court Jeweller on Twitter.

Also I find that tweet sums up everything perfectly;

“First time I’ve ever seen someone quit their family, saying it’s to spend more time with their jobs.”

the serious news channels are all reporting that the BRF did not know about this announcement.

"it seems to be a succession of doing things their way which is the wrong way" is what the former royal press officer said to sky news. he went on to say "this is a case of 'what meghan works, meghan gets'", in reference to what harry said when they were preparing the wedding.

I hope this marriage works for Harry now as he will be isolated I feel in many ways from his family. But to be honest I have always felt tbe marriage was shaky. I am also really pleased that William has an alternative family in the Middletons.

i did indeed from the beginning view this marriage as shaky, but i am convinced now (if not just after the south africa tour) that it is unlikely to survive in the long term. hope i am wrong.

yes, the middletons are such a nice, loving, united family and that had a huge impact on william. in 9 years that kate married into he BRF, kate and all her family all combined have given much less controversy than H&M in only a few years.

Regarding Frogmore Cottage. I assume Harry and Meghan are aware that non-senior royals have to pay rent to live on royal properties. They don't mention that when discussing Frogmore Cottage on their website.

clearly not according to their site ?
if what has been posted on this forum is true (that diana was told she'd need to pay full rent for her KP appartments if she "stepped back" from duties), then i expect they will be corrected on this.

A lot of your questions have answers on their website.

LaRae

i know my dear, i was just citing the questions as it is strange that they are even on the website.

The way Meghan has been treated by people since she started dating him...she's been treated worse than garbage. If this decision was made because Harry was sick of it, well, I don't blame him. While on some level I think any woman he married would cop a fair bit of stick from the media/Internet, the level of hatred thrown at Meghan was really out of line, certainly far worse than Catherine had to deal with.

and none of this was of her doing of course?

this forum tends to be quite lenient to royals (this is not a tabloid like 'the sun') yet if you scroll up this thread, the reaction to this action is overwhelmingly negative for mostly all of the posters.

Harry is quite a disappointment. You can't do that to your family that has had your back when you screwed up many times in the past. I don't think Meghan has truly understanding of family loyalty. May be she didn't get that growing up. But Harry should know better.

true. i feel sorry for the queen that in her old age she gets betrayed like this by someone she sought to protect for so long.

Last edited:
Wow! I certainly wish them well, but don't think they fully understand what life away from the royal family will be like. Kinda like being half-pregnant … doesn't happen. You are either in or you are out.

I look forward to seeing how they implement being "financially independent". Yes, Harry inherited a lot of $$ from his mother. So, there is that. Will Meghan return to acting? I would love to better understand how they define "financially independent."

I guess Charles got his slimmed down monarchy much faster than any of us thought would happen. However, I don't think he expected this. In the future I doubt we will see a load of family members on the balcony at Trooping the Color or cars full of relatives driving through the Buckingham Palace gates for a Christmas luncheon.

Hmm ...

Last edited:
I knew they were unhappy but I'm shocked.

Although it's been clear that they were unhappy and the criticism of Meghan has been vicious (as well as Harry wanting to walk away in the past), this announcement seems very premature.

I'm particularly concerned that the palace didn't seem to be well prepared and has said the details haven't been worked out and it's complicated. I do feel badly for Charles and William and the Queen in particular.

I'm not sure how this will work and if it will be workable (and if they will see any reduction in negative press coverage, this will certainly be criticised for this change.).

I do wish them all the best.

Last edited:
Sorry tyou will have to explain this to me?

I mean we hear all the time Meghan needs to know her place. People insinuate she didn't belong. She seemed to claim no one cared about her well being. Harry was insanely protective and we had all sorts of "sources" that the family didn't even want him with her. How true that is? Who knows but I don't think it was a coincidence they were emphasizing the heirs heavily these past few weeks. And I don't buy the family was completely blindsided by this news.

Maybe the statement? I can see that likely but the fact they wanted out? Probably not as they said they spoke to the family. Maybe they didn't take them seriously or thought it would blow over with some time off but clearly not.

The Sussexes clearly felt some kind of way and probably the rest of the royals did too. We have no idea except something prompted this drastic decision. And at the end of the day Harry and Meghan knew they would be attacked for it. They are anyways so nothing new there.

They might be stripped of everything but again I get the feeling they are also prepared for that. Likely why they didn't want Archie to have anything in the first place.

I am disappointed if this means that Harry will leave his responsibilities for which he has been very well trained. People are loyal to him and his role and he has been loyal to the Queen and his charities.

I am waiting to see how Buckingham Palace will describe the move.
Harry and Meghan say 'within this institution' and 'duty to the Queen and the Commonwealth. What does living part time in North America mean? Who will provide their protection?
I am surprised the announcement was not made officially by the Queen.
Is Harry standing down from the line of succession?
Is it that he doesn't like Buckingham Palace making some decisions for his family?

I am sad for the BRF.
William only has one sibling and to shoulder his duties alone will be less colourful.
The UK is so beautiful and so embracing of the BRF.
It seems like Harry has spurned his countryfolk. To wish to live in North America is odd, particularly when Meghan has only one relative to whom she confides near there.

Long live the Queen, all her cousins and her children.

If they had consulted with the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge before coming to this decision, I might have some respect left for them. But to announce it without even informing them is just disrespectful. And they had enough time between making the decision and announcing it to produce a long webpage, but still didn't inform the Queen, so that was clearly deliberate.

I think Meghan is about to discover what Harry should have always known. The House of Windsor survives at any cost. This will blow up. And who knows who the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be in a weeks time. You have every right to make the decisions you want but are powerless to control other people's reactions to it.

Exactly!

I agree that Meghan faced a great deal of racism upon assuming her new role. But this? A step too far that, I fear, they will both regret.

I mean we hear all the time Meghan needs to know her place. People insinuate she didn't belong. She seemed to claim no one cared about her well being. Harry was insanely protective and we had all sorts of "sources" that the family didn't even want him with her. How true that is? Who knows but I don't think it was a coincidence they were emphasizing the heirs heavily these past few weeks. And I don't buy the family was completely blindsided by this news.

Maybe the statement? I can see that likely but the fact they wanted out? Probably not as they said they spoke to the family. Maybe they didn't take them seriously or thought it would blow over with some time off but clearly not.

The Sussexes clearly felt some kind of way and probably the rest of the royals did too. We have no idea except something prompted this drastic decision. And at the end of the day Harry and Meghan knew they would be attacked for it. They are anyways so nothing new there.

They might be stripped of everything but again I get the feeling they are also prepared for that. Likely why they didn't want Archie to have anything in the first place.

Except a photo-op at the Grand Hall of Windsor Castle and a picture with granny ? Sorry, but that is not entirely accurate and more in line with having it my way as opposed to having nothing.

Well, I'm sure that Harry and Meghan were "hurt" by the lack of support form the family when Meghan was harassed/bullied/abused throughout her entire pregnancy and postpartum stage with lies and half-truths. All while both were working on projects/tours to help the BRF & the UK.

My heart is breaking for Harry, Meghan & Archie...they are ones who endured all negative attitudes I described above with little support from "Harry's closest family", especially after all the times Harry publicly supported Catherine when the media was trying to dump on her. Harry is doing what he feels is best to protect his wife & child....his true closest family.

100%. It may not have come to this if the BRF did more to protect Meghan from the vicious press. What galls me is that some royal reporters cackled on SM they were getting some of their gossip from palace walls.

William only has one sibling and to shoulder his duties alone will be less colourful.

as tough as this will be for william, his dad will be in the throne first whilst his kids are growing up, so when william is heir he will have the support of his kids who will surely become active royal members when charles is king.

According to that funding page, they will retain their titles, they will continue to work on behalf of The Queen and during that work they will receive taxpayer funded security. No answer as to who will pay for their security when they undoubtedly fly to the USA and promote The Sussex Foundation on Oprah...

They really are, attempting badly, to have the best of both worlds. It's absolutely ridiculous, and embarrassing.

If they want "that" life, then give up this one. To keep their titles, the security, the benefits and still want the peace, quiet and the life that Vancouver Island offered them, it's just not going to happen. What was the point of handing over patronages, applying for British Citizenship, marrying a british royal, for you to turn around and want none of it? I've said this since they married, I know Henry has spoken of his lack of desire to be a part of the British Royal Family before Meghan so it's simple. Leave.

I would be absolutely fine with this announcement, if they'd given up their titles at the same time.

Very well put. :flowers:
It does seem as if they want the perks and privileges, but not the mundane
tasks that make up the lion's share of royal duties.

Also- I don't believe the public will agree to pay security costs, etc. under these circumstances.

It wouldn't surprise me if they end like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

I think it's great H and M are going their own way. Meghan has been relentlessly attacked in the UK media, and there is only so much she should have to take.

It's worth remembering that Harry is sixth in line. Pretty far down the line of succession. He's a married man, and his first obligation is to his wife and children period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom