The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@MaxFosterCNN Mood not good in the palaces. ‘Dissapointed’ is the word I am hearing. Not even The Queen was consulted. Unprecedented probably.

Pathetical, just pathetical.
I thought it was a somewhat courageous decision , they are just in a loose cannon mode.
If true It's an insult to your sovereign, worse, it's an insult to your 93 years old grandmother.
I expect a striping of the HRH's asap and a British Arways ticket to LA.

ENOUGH

What it means is that they do not wish to be tethered to the civil list or dependent upon its strictures for the direction of their charitable and philanthropic functions. As senior royals they are required to perform certain duties and prevented from performing others, which is very restrictive and obviously not the way they intend to proceed. They asked for independence in this aspect of their work and were refused, so this is not unexpected. It’s not about ‘making money’ off their position in the Royal family. It’s about having the ability to make choices and to support the charities and foundations to which they feel a personal affinity. As both of them are quite well placed financially in their own right, there’s no need for them to be bound to outdated traditions.

The Civil List hasn't existed since 2011 and even when it did there were only two people on it - the Queen and Philip.

Harry has hinted in the past that he wanted to leave the family and stated that he hated Britain so it isn't a surprise that he wants to go somewhere else.

The question will be 'will they be allowed to use their titles for their own financial benefit'. We know how Sarah is castigated for using her title and she is out of the BRF so I am not so sure how they will get around that.

I also hope that they aren't expecting the British taxpayer to pay for their security while giving nothing back in the terms of royal duties. There is a social contract there - free home and security at taxpayers expense and royal duties. If no royal duties then they will have to pay a commercial rate of rent for Frogmore or give it up (Diana was told that when she decided to walk away from royal duties during the years of separation - no royal duties = full commercial rent for her KP apartment - surprisingly she returned to royal duties pretty quickly).

Why this is what he wanted according to the articles he was having fed to the press ?

That's gossip from H&M supporters. No truth to it whatsoever. I think W&K have taken the high road on this and I respect that. Many awful things were said that are not true. For that I am glad H&M will go separate ways. I got tired of reading articles of friends and sources etc. All started after Meghan joined the firm, nothing prior to that.

The way Meghan has been treated by people since she started dating him...she's been treated worse than garbage. If this decision was made because Harry was sick of it, well, I don't blame him. While on some level I think any woman he married would cop a fair bit of stick from the media/Internet, the level of hatred thrown at Meghan was really out of line, certainly far worse than Catherine had to deal with.
No, she was not. I agree she was more than once treated unfair. But a lot of criticism she received was her (and her husband´s) own fault! Now they disappoint once more...
This is all so hyppocrite claiming to "support" the Queen and at the same time letting her disloyally down! What an almost cruel way to treat a 93 year old grandmother Harry ows so much!

Last edited:
I think Meghan is about to discover what Harry should have always known. The House of Windsor survives at any cost. This will blow up. And who knows who the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be in a weeks time. You have every right to make the decisions you want but are powerless to control other people's reactions to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Elenath. But I remember Diana Princess of Wales's infamous "time and space" speech like it was yesterday. I think that is when she ditched her RPO's as well.

And in retrospect, it was the beginning of the end for her.

I know this is a little bit different....but it sounds similar enough to give me a bit of a chill.....:sad:

I thought the same thing. Diana, Diana. I wish more for Harry than this. I really do.

I'm afraid that is how it seems. What a mess.

Who on earth is running their PR
/legal? a real question because I don't know.

The women who helped Hillary Clinton loose when she should have won. Worst hire they have ever done.

I think some of the reactions here are amusing, particularly those of you not living in the UK and thus contributors (via your taxes) to their maintenance. I don't know how this is all going to flesh out when the dust has settled and neither do you. There may be more clarification forthcoming about what their roles will be what, titles they will or won't continue to have, where they'll live, etc., or there may not be. I would imagine there will be, if only to give the press something further to rant and rave about.

I think many of us have thought this was coming for quite some time now. Probably not in this exact way or at this exact time and certainly with the consultation of BP first but still, coming. However, this explains so much. This all explains so much about the lawsuits, the terrible relationship with the press, the dramatic crocodile tears in the documentary, the need to hire publicists and legal representation outside of that used by the Royal Family, and so much more. While this clearly was not discussed in depth with HM, the PoW, the DoC, etc. it was clearly well planned out in advance by Harry and Meghan. I can't imagine that a loss of titles will be far behind and, I suspect, a specific directive from HM about the future use of "Sussex" and their intentions to cash in on their titles and status. I'd say we'd better brace ourselves for both a loss of titles as well as a loss of funding from the Duchy, loss of RPOs, loss of Frogmore, etc.

Perhaps, in retrospect, it would have been more appropriate to have given them the Windsor title as some theorized prior to the wedding.:whistling:

Regarding Frogmore Cottage. I assume Harry and Meghan are aware that non-senior royals have to pay rent to live on royal properties. They don't mention that when discussing Frogmore Cottage on their website.

I'm terribly disappointed and shocked. I've followed Harry since he was 19. I believe that Meghan was never really accepted by other members of the royal family and overwhelmingly the Tabloid press has been vile to the couple, especially to her. These have been the primary reasons for this decision, I believe. We will see how this work out in practical terms however. I'm glad to see that they will not be abandoning their patronages, for now anyway.

I think Meghan is about to discover what Harry should have always known. The House of Windsor survives at any cost. This will blow up. And who knows who the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be in a weeks time. You have every right to make the decisions you want but are powerless to control other people's reactions to it.

I absolutely fully agree with every single word of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem to think that they will continue carrying out oversees trips representing the Government. Have they not noticed that those trips are only taken by senior members of the family? When for example did Beatrice and Eugenie go on a royal tour in the last few years as 'other royals with financial independence'?

probably the most mature, sensible and coherent decision they've taken in a long time. i remain to see how this new structure will work (how exactly will they become financially independent whilst remaining royals and representing the queen? let's remember harry has no degree, and meghan is an ex actress. how will they divide their time between UK/NorthAm? who will pay for their security?) but it seems a step in the right direction if what they want is more privacy (as they claim).

on this: "BREAKING. BBC Understands that no other member of the Royal Family was consulted before Harry and Meghan issued their personal statement tonight, the Palace is understood to be ‘disappointed’." -- i honestly doubt that H&M didn't consult the queen before issuing the statement. it would have been a massive betrayal to the queen to do so and i sincerely hope they haven't. i trust they aren't that reckless.

let's also mention the new site - has anyone seen it?! worth checking it out as i somehow don't think the answers will remain there for too long. it has answers to rather controversial questions such as the ones below, with equally reivindicative answers.

How will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex handle media relations in the future?
What is The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s stance on media in general?
How was the Official Residence of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Frogmore Cottage) funded?
Given their transition into members of the Royal Family with financial independence, will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex maintain their residence at Frogmore Cottage?

even the purpose of the site sounds reivindicative... "Sussexroyal.com was created as a source of factual information regarding the workstreams of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. "

Last edited:
probably the most mature, sensible and coherent decision they've taken in a long time. i remain to see how this new structure will work (how exactly will they become financially independant whilst remaining royals and representing the queen? how will they divide their time between UK/NorthAm? who will pay for their security?) but it seems a step in the right direction if what they want is more privacy (as they claim).

on this: "BREAKING. BBC Understands that no other member of the Royal Family was consulted before Harry and Meghan issued their personal statement tonight, the Palace is understood to be ‘disappointed’." -- i honestly doubt that H&M didn't consult the queen before issuing the statement. it would have been a massive betrayal to the queen to do so and i sincerely hope they haven't. i trust they aren't that reckless.

let's also mention the new site - has anyone seen it?! worth checking it out as i somehow don't think the answers will remain there for too long. it has answers to rather controversial questions such as the ones below, with equally reivindicative answers.

How will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex handle media relations in the future?
What is The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s stance on media in general?
How was the Official Residence of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Frogmore Cottage) funded?
Given their transition into members of the Royal Family with financial independence, will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex maintain their residence at Frogmore Cottage?

even the purpose of the site sounds reivindicative... "Sussexroyal.com was created as a source of factual information regarding the workstreams of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. "

A lot of your questions have answers on their website.

LaRae

I am thrilled for them. It is clear this has been longed planned and those 6 weeks away was a reflection period for them. Proud of them.

Same here, I am so happy for them. They are not leaving the Royal family. They are just stepping down as senior royals, but will continue their roles in the groups that the queen has assigned them too. Also, I think also, this also helps out Charles in his future role with sliming down the royal family. I also think

With this step I also think that Harry & Meghan can be more in control of what they want to do & Say, without having to check in with other members. I am very happy for them. ??? . Ok now we can get on to blaming everything on Meghan( that TROLL, PM sure is):whistling:

They have put up a Funding Page on their website which frankly makes things even more confusing.

https://sussexroyal.com/funding/

This part of the website intrigues me;

Does anyone know which senior member of the royal family they are referring to?

According to that funding page, they will retain their titles, they will continue to work on behalf of The Queen and during that work they will receive taxpayer funded security. No answer as to who will pay for their security when they undoubtedly fly to the USA and promote The Sussex Foundation on Oprah...

They really are, attempting badly, to have the best of both worlds. It's absolutely ridiculous, and embarrassing.

If they want "that" life, then give up this one. To keep their titles, the security, the benefits and still want the peace, quiet and the life that Vancouver Island offered them, it's just not going to happen. What was the point of handing over patronages, applying for British Citizenship, marrying a british royal, for you to turn around and want none of it? I've said this since they married, I know Henry has spoken of his lack of desire to be a part of the British Royal Family before Meghan so it's simple. Leave.

They can do so much for the British Royal Family, and they were doing so last year, I gave them some time to settle in and find their feet and by the end of the year they were both, as a couple getting there.

I would be absolutely fine with this announcement, if they'd given up their titles at the same time.
I have to completely agree with you.

I'm actually shocked about all of this. Your statement is on target Lumutqueen. Why did they take Frogmore Cottage, take on patronages, do royal tours and let the Queen give them titles (other than the one he already had). Such a slap in the face to the Queen, POW and DOC, in fact the whole working royal family. If they want financial independence, then they need to renounce their titles and start working. Such a sad day. I thought that Harry was such a great representative for the family, especially on tours, kicking back and have a bit of fun. (before Meghan). I don't see this ending well for him.

:previous: This. Being royal by default includes being noteworthy and/or famous. You cannot marry into an entity that is part family business, part a historic and enduring part of the British state, and part a glamourous magazine selling behemoth and think that you have significant leverage in decision making due to your celebrity status as the wife of a prince.

Last edited:
@MaxFosterCNN Mood not good in the palaces. ‘Dissapointed’ is the word I am hearing. Not even The Queen was consulted. Unprecedented probably.

I really don't think they expected them to "step away" and especially not like this.

That is so disrespectful. The Queen’s father probably died young in large part because of the stresses the Kingship put on him. The Queen herself sacrificed family time with Charles and Anne because duty came first - even though it must have killed her. Now Harry essentially skips out on his duties and responsibilities, leaving everyone else to pick up the slack, and he did so without consulting the Queen and obviously his father. It feels like he’s rejecting everything his family stands for, and that’s heartbreaking

They seem to think that they will continue carrying out oversees trips representing the Government. Have they not noticed that those trips are only taken by senior members of the family? When for example did Beatrice and Eugenie go on a royal tour in the last few years as 'other royals with financial independence'?

That is exactly what I said. Either they live in a fantasy world or they think so highly of themselves that they imagine they can have the cake and eat it. I guess they also think they can go on with their own “ progressive” agenda on climate change, women empowerment or whatever without consulting BP, CH or indeed the British government and still pose as official representatives of the Crown while doing so .

Same here, I am so happy for them. They are not leaving the Royal family. They are just stepping down as senior royals, but will continue their roles in the groups that the queen has assigned them too. Also, I think also, this also helps out Charles in his future role with sliming down the royal family. I also think

With this step I also think that Harry & Meghan can be more in control of what they want to do & Say, without having to check in with other members. I am very happy for them. ??? . Ok now we can get on to blaming everything on Meghan( that TROLL, PM sure is):whistling:

I don't blame Meghan. But. How? Any of it? Your royal or your not? Beatrice and Eugenie's charitable endeavours are very a la de famille.

I just want to know how? And who will care? They are supported because they are royal. They, neither or them, have kudos enough to support charities alone. They are the monarchy.

What a disappointment. See Edward the seventh. Diana would be shocked at her son’s decision to not support her other son, I assume as any mother. See Her quotes on preserving the monarchy for her son . Once the titles are stripped as well as the security, he will certainly have enough to live on from the legacies from his mother and grandmother. But it will never be enough, see Sarah, Ferguson. What a childish, selfish decision and it feel for his grandparents who have given all to duty

If true, and I stress IF, then it is if nothing else a wholly unprofessional way to act. Imagine announcing you are resigning from your job online without telling your boss first. Its just not how people behave never mind when that boss is your grandmother and you're working for a family firm. It certainly plays up to a narrative the media have tried to push of them being difficult and uncooperative with an eye on catching the headlines and that it letting themselves down.

Yes, this - and it’s also tragic for the family. I said it before, but it feels like he’s rejecting his family. I want to add that the Queen and Charles have welcomed Meghan into the fold, and Charles especially has a good relationship with her. You’d think just for that alone that Harry would have thought twice about this. I’m afraid that he’s acting a bit like a certain notorious royal (NOT in the most egregious ways, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom