The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are putting up a "funding page".. I don't see this as ending well...

Considering the events of the past year this announcement is not entirely out of the blue - the Africa documentary showed a couple struggling from outside media pressures and the pressure of the role.

What will be interesting is how they "divide" their time - Archie is still very young and this will work until he reaches school age. Thats when I feel the bigger decision will be made - then the couple will face the decision of where to send him to school - Overseas or UK.

Part of me hopes that this will be a temporary "stepping away from senior royal status" because I look at the future of the monarchy and the increasing age of many of the working royals and see that without Harry and Meghan being full working royals then William and Kate will either have to increase their duties or the people will have to expect to less less active royals.

I cannot imagine that Harry's father, grandparents or brother are very happy with him right now.

I can't help but think Harry and Meghan are getting advice from the wrong people. I really don't see how this is going to go well.

I've watched the BRF for decades--this is pretty shocking. Things seemed to be going well directly before the wedding and for several months after. Where did things go sour--I think whatever all this is, is what caused the friction between the brothers, not any of the stories that were floating around before,

Their announcement sounded very pretentious to me. First of all, they talk about “ carving out a new progressive role within the institution”, as if it was up to them to define how the institution ( I assume, the RF) is to behave. They are also implying that, if their “ new role “ is to be progressive, then their old role or what the other royals do is reactionary , which is a very aggressive comment.

Then they self-identify as “ senior royals”. Even though that may be true in practice, Harry is 6th in line, not in direct line to throne and, as of now, not even a sovereign’s son, but rather only a grandson. He is not more senior then than his uncles and much less his brother, although he might think otherwise and imagine that he can go on as a free agent operating independently of Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kesington Palace while still claiming to be an official representative of the Queen.

Last edited:
That is crazy. I can’t think of anyone so high up in the royal hierarchy ( other than King Edward VIII of course) renouncing his/her title in recent times and, when it happens, it is because of some serious external factor.

I hope that, one day, what really happened behind the scenes is fully clarified and revealed.
The queen's son was kind of ousted less than 2 months ago.

Now, it's the heir's son doing something similar (but it seems more like their own decision and not 'required' by the family). Harry did not give up his title (at least so far); just the duties that come with being the heir's son...

Best solution for everyone involved i guess.
They were clearly not happy with the current system, so they decided to step back (even if i wonder how it will work in reality with the income from the Duchy of Cornwall , HRH titles etc ...).
The Crown isn't a fairy tale, it's a strong, difficult, selfish and ungrateful beast. And if you're not ready to make strong personnal sacrifices, well, like any other firm if you don't agree with the rules, well just quit.
Good luck to them, as i suspect the future will not be smooth sailing either ...
What has "the crown" to do with this? Public opinion and the all time evil media is to blame here!
Still I am relieved and happy that the PoW´s eldest son and Catherine are not that selfish and self-centered!
HM must be terribly disappointed of this beloved grandson...

Last edited:
It’s difficult to put a positive spin on this news as regards how it will affect the British Royal Family as a whole over the next few years. The family certainly doesn’t need this upheaval and scrutiny in the light of recent events. I also feel sorry for William whose burden of responsibility has just got much heavier. I hope that things will turn out fine,but right now I feel sad that a couple who we all hoped would bring so many positive qualities to the royal family, are now embarking on a very exposed and potentially damaging course of events.

The queen's son was kind of ousted less than 2 months ago.

Now, it's the heir's son doing something similar (but it seems more like their own decision and not 'required' by the family). Harry did not give up his title (at least so far); just the duties that come with being the heir's son...

But Andrew did not go willingly. He only gave up his royal work because it was clear that most charities were dropping him.. Harry is not in thtat unfortunate positon so it is very odd that he is "givng up much of the duties that come with being a working royal..."

When you see all the FAQS on their website it's pretty obvious the decision was not rushed but well planned in advance and in concertation with the Queen and the POW.

EDIT: Just saw the statement from BP. Dear Lord...

No someone explain to THEM. They put on the website that they are leaving the Sovereign Grant which accounts for 5% of the fund they use but will continue to use the 95% from the Duchy of Cornwall, tax-payer funded security etc.. This is not being financially independent.
How has the Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex been funded up to now?
Since the establishment of The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, 95 percent of the funding received for their Office expenditure is derived from income allocated by HRH The Prince of Wales, generated through the Duchy of Cornwall. This provision has been in place since Prince William and Prince Harry first established their offices in support of The Queen, and is the responsibility of The Prince of Wales. This information continues to be available on The Duchy of Cornwall website.

Where does the other five percent come from?
As described above, the remaining five percent of funding for the Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, covering costs associated with employing members of their official office, is received through the Sovereign Grant. During the course of 2020, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have made the choice to step back as senior members of the Royal Family and no longer receive funding through the Sovereign Grant, thereby making them members of the Royal Family with financial independence.

From what I understand, they don't want the money from the Queen but will keep the money from the PoW and leave open the door for them to be able to be paid e.g
In addition, they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing.

They will also be able to write off their travel as working expenses and keep to continue to fund their private travel with their own money. They are also keep security
Does their future financial autonomy extend to covering the costs of travel?
All travel arrangements undertaken by The Duke and Duchess in their private time have always been and will continue to be paid for privately and not by UK taxpayers. With their transition to becoming members of the Royal Family with financial independence this will continue to be the case.

Does their future financial autonomy extend to covering the costs of security?
The provision of armed security by The Metropolitan Police is mandated by the Home Office, a ministerial department of Her Majesty’s Government, responsible for security and law & order. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are classified as internationally protected people which mandates this level of security.

Prince Charles has talked about trimming the royal fat although I doubt he was referring to Harry and Meghan at the time.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...liam-Harry-wives-children-Andrew-scandal.html.
We don't know yet and probably neither do they how this "stepping back" will all evolve. They are a bright, energetic caring couple motivated to continue to support the Queen while forging out a life they can have more control over. I say good for them!

Well I am not surprised and in a way not sad as I just don't think working for the RF was for them and I hope this makes them happy. Being a working senior member of the RF takes a lot of willingness to serve and a lot of putting Crown and the people before self.

They want to pursue causes and campaigns that working Royals can't and do things working royals can't. I just hope that they don't invite criticism by still taking public money in some way (it seems they will retain 95% of their current funding only surrendering the 5% from the Sovereign Grant) and am somewhat worried by their statement on their new website saying they "value the ability to earn a professional income". That's fine if they want to get jobs but if they in some way make a living from their status and titles it will only keep the media fuss going.

I think its sad Charles and the Queen and Philip will now quite possibly see little of their son/grandson and grandson/greatgrandson and its sad that Meghan and Harry feel this is their only option.

When you see all the FAQS on their website it's pretty obvious the decision was not rushed but well planned in advance and in concertation with the Queen and the POW.

Buckingham Palaces' press release says otherwise. All that information on their website has undoubtedly been done and created while they were in Canada, and put up themselves.

Prince Charles has talked about trimming the royal fat although I doubt he was referring to Harry and Meghan at the time.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...liam-Harry-wives-children-Andrew-scandal.html.
!

No he hasn't. He's never said any of these things anywhere officially.

A while ago there was some speculation about P.William and P.Harry growing apart, I wonder if this decision that H&M have now made, was what was discussed within the RF at the time..?
Even if P.William would have ever wanted out of 'The Firm' himself, he has even less chance to do so now (I think that would leave the D.o.York as next in line? Not a viable option at this point I think).

For H&M themselves this is probably for the best and there are several precedents in other RF's, but I can imagine HM and the D.o.Wales might still be a bit disappointed about it...especially HM who has always been very steadfast in her duty to the Firm..

just my 2cts ofcourse

Per Omid Scobie: It sounds like (at least at this time) they'll still retain their titles and still work on behalf of HMQ, but they won't be accepting contributions from the sovereign grant.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENyFL8zWwAE6w7n?format=jpg&name=large
I thought it is Charles who is supporting them; not the Sovereign Grant.

Not sure about their Buckingham Palace office - will they move elsewhere? Be asked to leave and come work privately for them?

It's interesting that the rumors were that they wanted their own household etc but didn't get it but became part of Buckingham Palace instead. Now they found a different way to get what they wanted by stepping aside.

It looks like they want financial independence mostly so they can set their own rules with the media.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENx_lA8XsAM4DgW?format=jpg&name=large
They're abandoning the Royal Rota system and will only "provide access to credible media outlets." No need to guess who that won't include.

I understand the desire; but we'll have to see whether the Queen and Prince of Wales will let them get away with it. I wonder whether Andrew's removal from the active royal family inspired/helped them to take the step they had been working towards.

Most of my opinions on the matter have already been written, so I just add that I'm afraid these changeś will only make things worse. I can see Sussexes giving up their titles in the near future.

And one comment, many say that Meghan didn't have time to prepare and hit the ground running. I agree. However, that was their decision. They got engaged, moved continents, got married and had baby within 2 years. And that's after dating for short period of time while liiving on 2 different continents, in completely different timezones. That's a lot, but they chose it. It was their decision, no one force them.

It's all gonna get interesting...

Thanks!

Yes, a lot of minor royals work! But it is to be seen, if Harry wants to be Henry Mountbatten or stay titled. If the latter: I don't think, this will happen.

He cannot simply found a cadet branch of the Windsors!

Harry was raised better than this. I know he was. He was not raised to be this entitled, inconsiderate, Work shy and heedless but here we are. Very sad.

Buckingham Palaces' press release says otherwise. All that information on their website has undoubtedly been done and created while they were in Canada, and put up themselves.

No he hasn't. He's never said any of these things anywhere officially.

Miss that one, so i stand corrected : it's a bloody mess. again.

I really don't see why the need to give up their titles. Do princesses Beatrice and Eugenie required to give up theirs? They aren't working royals. A title is not connected to work. It's just something they were born with. It's one of those stupid things you don't have to earn. Why would they be any different from other royals.

But Andrew did not go willingly. He only gave up his royal work because it was clear that most charities were dropping him.. Harry is not in thtat unfortunate positon so it is very odd that he is "givng up much of the duties that come with being a working royal..."

Which begs the question: was it an impulsive decision by the Duke and Duchess which they took without thinking it through and consulting anyone else ? Or were they somehow forced/ invited to leave like Edward/ Wallis, Andrew or Diana because their relationship with the Cambridges or whoever completely broke down ? Or was it something in between ?

I am not pointing fingers at X, Y orZ, just trying to understand what really happened.

If Harry isn't financially independent what on earth has he spent the millions of pounds he inherited on his 30th on? Surely he hasn't gone through well over 20 million pounds in 5.5 years? If he has how much money is he going to need to be 'financially independent?

I just saw this and was about to post it. I’m not sure what to think about it, but the fact they say to become “financially independent” struck me as odd. Sounds like they’re wanting to commercialize all things Sussex related which just makes me think they only want to be royal if they can make money off of it.

What it means is that they do not wish to be tethered to the civil list or dependent upon its strictures for the direction of their charitable and philanthropic functions. As senior royals they are required to perform certain duties and prevented from performing others, which is very restrictive and obviously not the way they intend to proceed. They asked for independence in this aspect of their work and were refused, so this is not unexpected. It’s not about ‘making money’ off their position in the Royal family. It’s about having the ability to make choices and to support the charities and foundations to which they feel a personal affinity. As both of them are quite well placed financially in their own right, there’s no need for them to be bound to outdated traditions.

Um, wow....

I’d been a huge fan of Harry and Meghan for ages, but I admit less so after their recent interviews.

My opinion is that if they are really so unhappy, then it’s best for them and the BRF that they jump ship. However, I’m not happy that they chose to do this. Especially with Andrew’s departure, the Queen and Charles need their help. The Queen is 93, Charles is 71 (I think), and Anne is older as well. They fortunately have wonderfully strong constitutions, but they shouldn’t be asked to do more - and William and Kate are hugely busy as well. I’m disappointed and I can’t imagine that the Queen and Charles aren’t as well - though of course they want the Sussexes to be happy.

I’m sad that it seems like they want to pick and choose what parts of being Royal they’ll accept - the good things- and which they’ll reject. It doesn’t work that way - the BRF takes the bad with the good. I’m also sad that Harry and Meghan have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the family. Maybe I’m naive, but why can’t Doria participate in BRF family get togethers (big ones only if she wants considering she lived in LA) ? Why do the Sussexes have to live split lives?

BPs statement combined with the Sussex's new official website and its FAQs suggests IMO that while there has been much thought about this from the Sussex side it may not have been all in consultation with BP. I wonder if this was the Sussex's plan and while the leading part of it "stepping down as senior working royals" was agreed I wonder if BP has not yet signed off the finer details.

It will be a little embarrassing if they have to go back on anything they have said on their new website.

Edit - if BBC is right and no royals were consulted that this FAQ on their official website is really presumptuous IMO and maybe is them trying to set out what they want to happen and effectively force BP and Charles into it by making it more difficult to go back on it.

Last edited:
Plenty of junior royals support the monarchy while not being classified as working royals. Eugenie and Beatrice have plenty of patronage’s as private citizens.
However, their patronage's are indeed private and so they do formally not 'support the monarchy' by having some patronages. They do support the monarchy a few times a year when for example attending garden parties.

Honestly feels more like Edward and Sophie when they first married. The couple were not working royals and had jobs away from the monarchy. Like the Wessexes I don’t see this move as being permanent necessarily. Right now there are plenty of senior royals to fill the role. If there was any time for them to step back and pursue their own areas it’s now. When Charles is king and many other royals start retiring they will likely be drawn back in.
I don't think there is a way back. I'm trying to think of any examples of royals who were expected to be working full-time as royals; decided to step away from that to do their own thing (including creating their own brand); and being asked to come and join again at a later stage.

(…) I don’t think any of this came as shock to queen of Charles. I think they had the full suppport. I can see Charles wanting his son and daughter in law to enjoy the freedom and spread their wings when they still have the time. When Charles is king and even William until George and his siblings are much older Harry will likely need to step back up. Unless the York’s are invited to become working royals as William will need support.
The fact that they still need to work things out to me indicates that 'full support' might be lacking. I don't think the queen and prince of Wales had much of a choice.

Edit: according to BP in 'discussions are in early stages'. So, indeed no indication at all of full support. More like Harry and Meghan forcing this decision (among other things by making it public).

I think Meghan May be relieved though I don’t put blame on her. Not only the criticism but I think she may have found royal life a bit slow. This is a Roman who worked and did charity work for a decade. The slower pace of just being a royal may not have challenged her as much. Her cookbook and clothing projects likely helped. I can see her wanting to embrace more like that. (…)
And again, we don't know how things really work and whether she may have felt limited. But Meghan did things like the cookbook and clothing project as a 'senior royal' (and was able to do so because her new role as wife of a British prince); so, why did she need to step away from that, to be able to do what she already did?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom