The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It means they have been cut off financially. I don’t think this is voluntary. I think they were asked to leave.

It is very odd and unusual. Royals may grumble and say that they didn't ask for the job.. but they rarely give it up....

That is crazy. I can’t think of anyone so high up in the royal hierarchy ( other than King Edward VIII of course) renouncing his/her title in recent times and, when it happens, it is because of some serious external factor.

I hope that, one day, what really happened behind the scenes is fully clarified and revealed.

Well just wait for the book and the Oprah interview.
I'm afraid it will come, sooner or later ...

I get the feeling this was not rushed. It seemed they really reflected on things and clearly is a signal of how bad things have got within the family if they felt this was the only option for them. Clearly they think the risk is worth it.

Their website answers a lot of question including why they turned down the KP apartment in favor of Frogmore. I clearly were thinking far in advance about their finances. And honestly we barely see then outside of their duties. We never saw them during this break.

I think that is what they want.

I think it was rushed in that they haven’t even been married two years yet, and Archie is only 8 months old. A tremendous amount of change has happened in Meghan’s life in a very short period of time. I have absolutely no doubt that it’s been horrible for her and they felt like something needed to give, but I think they’d have had an easier time just trying to fly under the radar for a year or so (doing minimal engagements) and then assessing where they were and what they wanted for the future.

It’s tough to make decisions under pressure and mental duress. I hope they’re happier but I think this is going to be more difficult on them then staying would have been.

I don't think this is really about their son. Of course we are not privy to lots of details and it might be a small part of the equation; but Archie so far lived a fairly normal although extremely privileged life; and he was not expected to perform royal duties. He will most likely still attend private education etc.

Their tweet sure implies that their son’s upbringing was a factor as they said something about Archie being raised to be mindful ( or respectful) of the tradition he was born into , but following a different path.

My biggest concern is that their announcement sounds a lot like having the cake and eating it ( sort like Brexit really) and, as I said , I don’t know how the public and the RF will react to it. I don’t think they can be half in , half out.

Live on his personal money left to him and her own money presumably. Heck, He can get a job if need be! Plenty of minor Royals and Royal relations have them.

But if they happen to seriously think they can sustain their current lifestyle indefinitely on private money they may be in for shock. And for sure using Royal connections for projects, philanthropy and charity should stop.

This is exactly what I am worried about. Had they decided to take on a normal job (should be relatively easy with their connections) and do some occasional royal duties that would be somewhat understandable given the pressure they have been under. However, that is very different from what they announced: focusing on their 'new charitable entity'. So, they instead plan to be charity/philanthropist-type celebrities with royal titles. That's not something a reigning royal family needs... and can turn out rather badly.

I hope someone explains to them that if they take Duchy money, they are not financially independent. I wonder if the Prince of Wales when King Charles ascend will continue to fund them.

Also, good luck to the Cambridges because they are going to have to work hard until their children are working for the Crown.

I don't think they realise that to be a big player in charitable spaces, you also need to have big money (e.g Gates, Zuckerberg, Lucas/Hobson etc type of money). The Obama family does well because they have accumulated 8 years of goodwill and an address book filled with actual billionaires. Can we say the same for the Sussexes?

On the other hand, I am happy for them. From the documentary you could tell they were not doing ok and as the Duchess of Sussex said, in life, you must thrive and not only survive (and I 100% agree with that).

Indeed they might, but the BFR has always valued [and expected] 'Duty' in return for the bounty and privilege Royalty confers..

Put yourself outside that, and you become 'beyond the pale'..

Well it seems they disagree with you as well. Let's just see where this goes ok?? No need to ask for a public hanging..

Per Omid Scobie: It sounds like (at least at this time) they'll still retain their titles and still work on behalf of HMQ, but they won't be accepting contributions from the sovereign grant.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENyFL8zWwAE6w7n?format=jpg&name=large

It looks like they want financial independence mostly so they can set their own rules with the media.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENx_lA8XsAM4DgW?format=jpg&name=large
They're abandoning the Royal Rota system and will only "provide access to credible media outlets." No need to guess who that won't include.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitter is awash with Brits demanding the repayment of the cost of the Wedding/renovation of Frogmore cottage etc..

Now we Royal watchers KNOW that's inaccurate, but its a measure of the anger 'out there'..
I think living in the UK may well be untenable..

Last edited:
It's an... interesting idea. I'm very curious how they're going to go with being independent yet still supporting The Firm at the same time - for me it's a bit of "eat the cake and have it too" moment. I'm afraid we're gonna get some kind of weird mix of royality and celebrity that won't be accepted easily.

Not to mention I feel a little bit sad about that. I love BRF, I loved their dynamic and the picture that even though they're all different, they're still a family and can make it work together. I guess the cracks are deeper and more substantial than most of us thought. I wish Harry and Meghan all the best, but I won't pretend it's happy news.

It is very odd and unusual. Royals may grumble and say that they didn't ask for the job.. but they rarely give it up....

Yet- they’re not giving it all up. “Just” being senior royals.

It reads like they’re trying to have it all exactly how they want without having to compromise or give up anything they really care about. That’s what “ progressive new role” means to me.

Okay...maybe I am missing something...are they renouncing their Royal status or their Royal duties...or both?

Does Harry intend to be simply Henry Mountbatten-Windsor??

Their own little royal reporter has some insight into how Meghan and Henry plan to work with the press and media in 2020;

Interesting. Apparently by quitting their roles as senior royals they plan to pick and choose instead of being required to provide somewhat equal access. They have long liked to be in control and I assume that's part of what attracts them in becoming semi-private royals.

I’m happy for them. This is clearly what they wanted, and I’m happy they’ll be free from the press strain.

Not so sure about that. At least for now, they made sure the press will focus completely on them again (after their weeks off when the press focused on Andrew).

Last edited:
"After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen...

We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support."
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/monarchalypse-harry-meghan-step-back-senior-royals

What? So, they want to continue to "support the Queen" and "continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties" but be independent?

Sorry, sounds half baked to me!

More like: We want to live off out titles... A new Märtha Luise of Norway thingy incoming...

Plenty of junior royals support the monarchy while not being classified as working royals. Eugenie and Beatrice have plenty of patronage’s as private citizens.

Honestly feels more like Edward and Sophie when they first married. The couple were not working royals and had jobs away from the monarchy. Like the Wessexes I don’t see this move as being permanent necessarily. Right now there are plenty of senior royals to fill the role. If there was any time for them to step back and pursue their own areas it’s now. When Charles is king and many other royals start retiring they will likely be drawn back in.

I see no need to worry for Invictus or Sebtebale. They are both private projects for Harry and not tied to the royal foundation or else.

I am disappointed but not shocked. I honestly saw them moving away from traditional royal life but thought their focus would be on the commonwealth. As a Canadian I always enjoyed they seemed to embrace that side of their role. Their appointment to commonwealth roles pointed that way. Also found them to be far more refreshing to watch as they were a bit more modern then the approach of others in the family. More interesting to watch.

They could possibly be still filling some commonwealth roles. A few people suggested the unrealistic idea they could be Governor General. That won’t happen but if they were to settled in Canada at least part time they could take on more Canadian patronage’s and be an active face there.

Geographical comment it would make sense for them to live in Canada. More privacy media wise then the USA. Easy commute for them to USA and uk for any work. Though there will be criticism about his they could settle quickly.

It’s unrealistic for people to think they won’t cash in on their title. They can’t escape it. Even if they drop their HRH no one will forget who they are. It will naturally bring on sponsors and such for their projects. Just the way it is.

As well as their private money they could easily each get work. Harry is involved with that project he started last year to promote sustainable travel. I could see him easily landing a position with one of the big companies involved as some type of consultant. Perhaps he already had a job offer and spurred this.

I don’t think any of this came as shock to queen of Charles. I think they had the full suppport. I can see Charles wanting his son and daughter in law to enjoy the freedom and spread their wings when they still have the time. When Charles is king and even William until George and his siblings are much older Harry will likely need to step back up. Unless the York’s are invited to become working royals as William will need support.

I think Meghan May be relieved though I don’t put blame on her. Not only the criticism but I think she may have found royal life a bit slow. This is a Roman who worked and did charity work for a decade. The slower pace of just being a royal may not have challenged her as much. Her cookbook and clothing projects likely helped. I can see her wanting to embrace more like that.

And no I don’t blame her as Harry did say belong before they met that he had considered many times walking away. The idea was already there.

Okay...maybe I am missing something...are they renouncing their Royal status or their Royal duties...or both?

I don't think it is very clear what they are about.. but in one sense Im not all that surprised...

I cannot imagine that Harry's father, grandparents or brother are very happy with him right now.

I can't help but think Harry and Meghan are getting advice from the wrong people. I really don't see how this is going to go well.

I've watched the BRF for decades--this is pretty shocking. Things seemed to be going well directly before the wedding and for several months after. Where did things go sour--I think whatever all this is, is what caused the friction between the brothers, not any of the stories that were floating around before,

No - it seems like they're keeping the titles, but losing the money and gaining free will to do whatever they want, however they want, wherever they want.

I think it was rushed in that they haven’t even been married two years yet, and Archie is only 8 months old. A tremendous amount of change has happened in Meghan’s life in a very short period of time. I have absolutely no doubt that it’s been horrible for her and they felt like something needed to give, but I think they’d have had an easier time just trying to fly under the radar for a year or so (doing minimal engagements) and then assessing where they were and what they wanted for the future.

It’s tough to make decisions under pressure and mental duress. I hope they’re happier but I think this is going to be more difficult on them then staying would have been.

Who is to say they didn't true and were completely miserable. We really have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of that family. Meghan made it pretty clear in her documentary that she was feeling some kind of way. So honestly maybe they felt they had no choice. People aren't this drastic for no reason.

I hope someone explains to them that if they take Duchy money, they are not financially independent. I wonder if the Prince of Wales when King Charles ascend will continue to fund them.

Also, good luck to the Cambridges because they are going to have to work hard until their children are working for the Crown.

I don't think they realise that to be a big player in charitable spaces, you also need to have big money (e.g Gates, Zuckerberg, Lucas/Hobson etc type of money). The Obama family does well because they have accumulated 8 years of goodwill and an address book filled with actual billionaires. Can we say the same for the Sussexes?

On the other hand, I am happy for them. From the documentary you could tell they were not doing ok and as the Duchess of Sussex said, in life, you must thrive and not only survive (and I 100% agree with that).

Might help explain about the money.

Neither I believe. I believe giving up their work as senior royals gives them the freedom to do this on their own terms. Meaning they'll still support the patronages they have and still support certain charities with their foundation and they're still a part of the BRF. I'm not sure if they'll be on the balcony in the future though.
I think this choice was made in part because it allows them the freedom to spend part of the year in North America. I'm sure Meghan misses it.

I don’t think any of this came as shock to queen of Charles. I think they had the full suppport. I can see Charles wanting his son and daughter in law to enjoy the freedom and spread their wings when they still have the time. When Charles is king and even William until George and his siblings are much older Harry will likely need to step back up. Unless the York’s are invited to become working royals as William will need support.

I don't think the way they have chosen to do this will endear them to the British public--even if Charles needs Harry, I don't think they will be welcomed back. I think they are burning bridges more than they realize.

They have put up a Funding Page on their website which frankly makes things even more confusing.

More here on Sussex Royal website. They want to be financially independent from the Sovereign Grant but say they will still use Frogmore Cottage and carry out official overseas visits paid for by the Sovereign Grant so that part is a little confusing.

https://sussexroyal.com/funding/

This part of the website intrigues me;

Do any other members of the Royal Family hold a title and earn an income?
Yes, there is precedent for this structure and applies to other current members of the Royal Family who support the monarch and also have full time jobs external to their commitment to the monarchy.

Does anyone know which senior member of the royal family they are referring to?

According to that funding page, they will retain their titles, they will continue to work on behalf of The Queen and during that work they will receive taxpayer funded security. No answer as to who will pay for their security when they undoubtedly fly to the USA and promote The Sussex Foundation on Oprah...

They really are, attempting badly, to have the best of both worlds. It's absolutely ridiculous, and embarrassing.

If they want "that" life, then give up this one. To keep their titles, the security, the benefits and still want the peace, quiet and the life that Vancouver Island offered them, it's just not going to happen. What was the point of handing over patronages, applying for British Citizenship, marrying a british royal, for you to turn around and want none of it? I've said this since they married, I know Henry has spoken of his lack of desire to be a part of the British Royal Family before Meghan so it's simple. Leave.

They can do so much for the British Royal Family, and they were doing so last year, I gave them some time to settle in and find their feet and by the end of the year they were both, as a couple getting there.

I would be absolutely fine with this announcement, if they'd given up their titles at the same time.

Last edited:
My main comment at the moment is that I wish that the details and the planning of the proposal to step back from being senior royals had been put firmly in place before the announcement was made - now we have a million questions that are yet to be answered.

I do wish them the best of luck for the future. I am not overly concerned or alarmed at the news - in some ways it makes sense especially given that other royal families allow their members outside the "core members" to pursue avenues beyond royal duties and often abroad.

The Sussex's will clearly still attend major royal events and family events and presumably will attend engagements in the UK and abroad as fitting to their charitable ventures.

This is all shocking but I am not surprised. But what is this? Do they keep their titles? Their home that is technically on a publically owned estate. Do they get publicly paid security. And in all honesty, apart form his not insubstantial inheritance from his mother, Harry has no money of his own, his is under educated aside from having the best schooling money can buy, and all he has to do now to get things done is to say he is interested in things. People only support him because he is royal. No matter how much charisma he has. The money he inherited will not sustain his lifestyle more than about half a decade. Who will exactly support him with his charities? If they wanted to step back from public life altogether, go back into the army, even Meghan to pick up bits of acting work. That would be different. But they want to keep a super high public image. Found their own charities but just not be royal. That is entirely different. How is this going to stop the media frenzy or its toxicity except for the fact that if they are not royal they will be forgotten about eventually. How is that going to be for the charities. That is the dilemma of royal lives
No freedom. Do great things for the lives of others and you have everything money could want.

Basically trying to be his mother but her scenario was different. It is very worrying and I am.sure his family are upset.

Last edited:
I'm all for a wait and see with this whole #Sussexit thing.

I just truly hope they don't go the celebrity route and that they find their stride soon.

It actually doesn't explain the 95% of the money - which, as stated in their own website, comes from the Duchy of Cornwall. And there's no word about "becoming independent" from the Duchy, they're talking just about The Sovereign Grant.

That would be up to his father and whatever they work out with him. He funds the households of his children as I understand it.

LaRae

Would this be somewhat akin to the situation of Princess Madeleine of Sweden?

Somewhat in that she is also fulfilling a minor royal role and moved abroad. However, Chris actively tries NOT to work of a title and Madeleine is mainly focused on her family and some World Childhood-work as part of her mother's work. She did not create her own brand outside of that of the SRF and intended to work on that. She is of course a princess of Sweden but is not actively using that for her own gain it seems.

Wow. The Queens and Dukes son and Older grandchildren are certainly not making their last years peaceful and stress free are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom