The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who can't figure out how to do the double quote. I've screwed up so many posts trying to do it and I never get it right.

Anyhow, it's been very clear over the years from Harry's own words that he's been looking for something. I very much believe that he thought he knew what he was looking for but I'm not sure that he really did. It was clear that he was looking for a happy and stable marriage and family and someone to really be his rock, similar to what it appears his brother found with Kate and, by extension, her family. In fact, we've heard Harry refer to William and Kate's happy marriage before with what I would call longing. I think he really thought that he had found that with Meghan but I also believe that deep down he knew that there were concerns. Yes, I'm sure the desire for children was a part of his fast actions but I also believe that deep down in his gut he was always concerned that she'd get too close and then see that she couldn't handle that life and bolt. Remember, it had already happened to him twice. So he rushed into this marriage with the need for a steady, happy, settling rock. But the truth is, Meghan's never exactly been the settled and steady type. Both in her family background and in her previous life and career she was constantly on the move and on the go. She lived in South America, Canada, etc. She was by her own admission a very free-spirited type. And, as I and many others have pointed out, she was coming from not only a broken family but an incredibly dysfunctional broken family.

I honestly think Harry was putting all his needs and hopes on this both consciously and subconsciously and then when she decided she couldn't handle this he completely fell apart and crumbled. Someone above commented about how coldly or harshly he was handling this with his family and while my first instinct was a very "how could he dare" kind of feeling, the more I think about it I think we're witnessing a very angry, heartbroken, confused man who is, once again, trying to pick up the pieces in a lifetime spent trying to pick up the pieces from various traumas and come aparts. Sometimes when we're very stressed, worried, sad, and trying our best to simply hang on we become cold and harsh with those closest to us, even when we don't really intend to. I suspect this is what we're seeing with Harry. The pictures coming out of Canada look like a woman who's set free without a care in the world where, by contrast, the pictures coming from the UK look like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders and I think that contrast speaks volumes.

Last edited:
I'm sso believe that deep down he knew that there were concerns. Yes, I'm sure the desire for children was a part of his fast actions but I also believe that deep down in his gut he was always concerned that she'd get too close and then see that she couldn't handle that life and bolt. Remember, it had already happened to him twice. So he rushed into this marriage with the need for a steady, happy, settling rock. But the truth is, Meghan's never exactly been the settled and steady type. Both in her family background and in her previous life and career she was constantly on the move and on the go. She lived in South America, Canada, etc. She was by her own admission a very free-spirited type. And, as I and many others have pointed out, she was coming from not only a broken family but an incredibly dysfunctional broken family.

I honestly think Harry was putting all his needs and hopes on this both consciously and subconsciously and then when she decided she couldn't handle this he completely fell apart and crumbled. Someone above commented about how coldly or harshly he was handling this with his family and while my first instinct was a very "how could he dare" kind of feeling, the more I think about it I think we're witnessing a very angry, heartbroken, confused man who is, once again, trying to pick up the pieces in a lifetime spent trying to pick up the pieces from various traumas and come aparts. Sometimes when we're very stressed, worried, sad, and trying our best to simply hang on we become cold and harsh with those closest to us, even when we don't really intend to. I suspect this is what we're seeing with Harry. The pictures coming out of Canada look like a woman who's set free without a care in the world where, by contrast, the pictures coming from the UK look like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders and I think that contrast speaks volumes.
But he's the one who is losing most. Even if he does want out of the RF, he's not such a callous young man that he don't care about leaving his brother and father and other relatives.. Meghan has got a position, fame, she has her baby, she has Harry (at least for now) and she probably feels she has managed to escape the lifestyle that she found she did not like...
Harry is probably beginning to realise that he can't really be half in and half out.. and that if he wants to be with Meg and his child, he is going to have to accept partial or wholescale exile to a country he's enjoyed visitng but may not enjoy living in. And from what people have said, in previous times when he has spoken about getting away its more likely that he woudl choose to live in Africa...

The comment above is one of the smartest I've read in this topic.
I agree with everything I read. I also think that's what happened. I think Harry is sad and worried. His main concern right now is saving his marriage, so he made the decision to move to Canada. Meghan definitely couldn't handle the pressure of being a member of the royal family ...

She knows how to stay 'under the radar' so she's obviously happy to be photographed at the airport, knowing it would hit the tabloids, which says to me that she's courting publicity for herself & not just for 'good causes'. I'm a supporter of Meghan's potential to be a force for good & also very sympathetic about her treatment by some of the UK press but she won't do herself any favours with the UK public if she's perceived to be directing & starring in 'The Meghan Show'.

Very, very true. That six week break where we saw not one photograph clearly proved her ability to stay under the radar. However, we've seen her three times since she returned last week. Yes, she might or might not have been spotted when she was out and about for those visits to the charity centers but an airport run? If she didn't want to be spotted she could have sent someone to pick up her friend and no one would have been the wiser. Instead she not only went but drove herself, something we haven't seen her doing in the UK because I don't believe she was allowed to without being a citizen and holding a license (correct me if I'm wrong there). Clearly she was, if not hoping to be photographed, completely okay with being photographed.

Then again, all of this "in Canada" business could be the period of adjustment as they figure out just how they're going to go ahead with things with the "Firm", with their Sussex Royal Foundation, and with their private lives.

Its maybe kind of like going through a divorce. Still married until the final decree but planning in the works of life after that decree is made final. The couple getting divorced are not going to present themselves as a happily married couple in public during that time either or pretend they are. They're most likely moving on with their lives as they wait for the final decree.

Canada's a good place for respite if you ask me. ?

The comment above is one of the smartest I've read in this topic.
I agree with everything I read. I also think that's what happened. I think Harry is sad and worried. His main concern right now is saving his marriage, so he made the decision to move to Canada. Meghan definitely couldn't handle the pressure of being a member of the royal family ...

Its not a happy thought.. because I can't help wondering.. IS he going to like Canada? Or is he going to miss England? Will they be able to live there most of the time or will there be issues? Because I think the idea of spending about six months a year there and 6 months in England or away from it, isn't really going to fly. Esp if Meghan prefers it and wants Can to be her full time home. They are only married 2 years and have a new baby, and I honestly do have ominous feelings about the stability of hteir marriage...

Then again, all of this "in Canada" business could be the period of adjustment as they figure out just how they're going to go ahead with things with the "Firm", with their Sussex Royal Foundation, and with their private lives.

Its maybe kind of like going through a divorce. Still married until the final decree but planning in the works of life after that decree is made final. The couple getting divorced are not going to present themselves as a happily married couple in public during that time either or pretend they are. They're most likely moving on with their lives as they wait for the final decree.

I do realize that you're referring to the RF and the Sussexes as the two parties of the divorce. However, I was struck as I was reading your post by just how much this could seem to apply to Harry and Meghan as the two parties. See my comment above about the contrast in the images coming from Canada and the UK over the last few days.

Last edited:

They spoke of spednding their time in North America.. not anywhere else.. so that kind of means the US or Canada.. They are hardly going to take off now and try and settle somewhere else...

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who can't figure out how to do the double quote. I've screwed up so many posts trying to do it and I never get it right.

Anyhow, it's been very clear over the years from Harry's own words that he's been looking for something. I very much believe that he thought he knew what he was looking for but I'm not sure that he really did. It was clear that he was looking for a happy and stable marriage and family and someone to really be his rock, similar to what it appears his brother found with Kate and, by extension, her family. In fact, we've heard Harry refer to William and Kate's happy marriage before with what I would call longing. I think he really thought that he had found that with Meghan but I also believe that deep down he knew that there were concerns. Yes, I'm sure the desire for children was a part of his fast actions but I also believe that deep down in his gut he was always concerned that she'd get too close and then see that she couldn't handle that life and bolt. Remember, it had already happened to him twice. So he rushed into this marriage with the need for a steady, happy, settling rock. But the truth is, Meghan's never exactly been the settled and steady type. Both in her family background and in her previous life and career she was constantly on the move and on the go. She lived in South America, Canada, etc. She was by her own admission a very free-spirited type. And, as I and many others have pointed out, she was coming from not only a broken family but an incredibly dysfunctional broken family.

Oh boy, do I agree with all you said.

The pictures.......you’re spot on. I saw the pic of Harry in the car which looked like he was using or looking at his phone and thought to myself, she’s making sure you told them bah, blah, blah, jmo.

I respect all the different opinions on the forum and understand “wait and see”, but I do think the day will come when Meghan will blindside Harry.

I don't know what pics you are looking at but the pics we have seen of Harry are from yesterday..the vast majority posted he was laughing, smiling and carrying on like a normal person, even in the little video clips. So I don't quite understand the idea that there is this contrast between he and Meghan.

LaRae

One of the facts we do know is that the Queen has assented to spending part time in Canada. It makes sense then that Meghan and Harry start to establish their base there.

However, once things are worked out and set for moving forward, I would predict that both Harry and Meghan would be back and forth between the UK and Canada and when in the UK, residing at Frogmore Cottage. I just don't get the vibe that Meghan will never, ever return to the UK at all. She's staying put with her son in one place until things are resolved.

Until we know as fact that Meghan has "fled" and never to return again to royal life and duties and is snubbing all things royal and the marriage even being fraught with discord, I'm going to remain middle of the road on this.

I think Meghan Markle recognised in Harry a Man 'discontented with his lot' in life, looking enviously at the family life his brother enjoyed with his wife and young family, and saw [clearly] that this man, with a global reach she has LONG desired, [but not independently achieved] could provide her with that fame, and 'Global platform'..

He was 'ripe for the picking'.

Now she has the Title, the platform, the child, what need has she of him any more ?

Last edited:
I don't know what pics you are looking at but the pics we have seen of Harry are from yesterday..the vast majority posted he was laughing, smiling and carrying on like a normal person, even in the little video clips. So I don't quite understand the idea that there is this contrast between he and Meghan.

I'm referring to the pictures we saw of him in the car, the pictures and video we saw of him prior to the beginning of his engagement yesterday, and even the fact that those who were at the engagement spoke of how quickly he rushed through it as though he really just wanted to be finished with it. Yes, he put on his game face and was pleasant throughout the engagement but the rest of the pictures we've seen of him this week combined with the statements from those who, unlike myself, were at that engagement...he seems like a very stressed and worried man. She, on the other hand, has been pictured looking nothing less than blissfully happy. Quite the contrast.

I have absolutely no idea what Rose Van Cutsem may or may not have posted about the DM. She's no concern of mine. I simply saw an article with a shot of the IG post and there was absolutely no ambiguity whatsoever about that post. It was quite clearly mocking the Sussex post. There's no possible way that anyone could mistake that wording. Rose is the wife of a close friend of William and Harry. Now I'm sure that someone will attempt to argue that they're really not friends, we don't actually know that, no one has ever stated in black and white that they're friends so how dare we infer a friendship there, blah blah blah. But Hugh and Rose are friends of theirs. And the IG post said, and a I quote "I am standing back as a senior member of my tax return because I'd rather drink coffee, see my friends, love my family, and do yoga." It was posted and then swiftly deleted. Everyone is, I suppose, free to think what they like of it but to me that certainly sounds like an eye rolling and mocking post and based on how fast it was deleted, I'd say she might have realized it wasn't a great idea to post. The point, though, is that she posted it at all.

Rose and Hugh van Cutsem's daughter Grace was a bridesmaid in William & Kate's wedding. Grace's first cousin, Florence (daughter of Hugh's brother Nicholas and his wife Alice) was a bridesmaid in Harry & Meghan's wedding.

So, I don't see how anyone could argue that they are not really friends.:lol:

I find Rose's post...interesting.

I think Meghan Markle recognised in Harry a Man 'discontented with his lot' in life, looking enviously at the family life his brother enjoyed with his wife and young family, and saw [clearly] that this man, with a global reach she has LONG desired, [but not independently achieved] could provide her with that fame, and 'Global platform'..

Now she has the Title, the platform, the child, what need has she of him any more ?

100% wyevale, 100%

Perhaps they complete each other. Perhaps they are the epitome of "you and me against the world". Perhaps they really do love each other and that was the sole reason for marriage and family to begin with. Its so easy to be cynical and see the worse in people if you're on the outside looking in and playing script writer for a soap opera which seems to be quite the lucrative business for the media at this time.

You may be totally right on the money about all this, wyevale, and then again you may not. We just don't know at this time.

Rose and Hugh van Cutsem's daughter Grace was a bridesmaid in William & Kate's wedding. Grace's first cousin, Florence (daughter of Hugh's brother Nicholas and his wife Alice) was a bridesmaid in Harry & Meghan's wedding.

So, I don't see how anyone could argue that they are not really friends.:lol:

I find Rose's post...interesting.

I don't really understand how they could, either, but if I've learned anything over the last three years I've learned that they will. :whistling:

I do realize that you're referring to the RF and the Sussexes as the two parties of the divorce. However, I was struck as I was reading your post by just how much this could seem to apply to Harry and Meghan as the two parties. See my comment above about the contrast in the images coming from Canada and the UK over the last few days.

I don't see much contrast. Harry is seemed like the same old Harry in his element around the children and people he respects. Meghan was relaxed and happy as she was around someone important to her.

People think they know these people but we haven't a close. I remember quite well in Harry and Meghan's engagement interview when the reporter said something to the effect of "the public knew him" and Harry quickly corrected her with "they think they know me."

Exactly.

Last edited:
Perhaps they complete each other. Perhaps they are the epitome of "you and me against the world". Perhaps they really do love each other and that was the sole reason for marriage and family to begin with. Its so easy to be cynical and see the worse in people if you're on the outside looking in and playing script writer for a soap opera which seems to be quite the lucrative business for the media at this time.

You may be totally right on the money about all this, wyevale, and then again you may not. We just don't know at this time.

but they're not "you and me against the world" right now. At a time when you would expect that they'd hang together, when they are getting knocked for walking away, she is in Canada and Harry's still here in England.. alone.. And it seems like as regards Frogmore, they may not be keeping it as a home.. which suggests that Meghan has mentally moved to Canada and Harry may fnd he will be doing his engagements here in the UK on his own...

I really believe you're 100% right about this, though I really hope you're not. I'm no fan of Meghan's but I certainly wouldn't wish a broken marriage, only part time custody of his son, and all of the trauma that would come with that on Harry. However, I do very much believe that you're right and now it's really only a matter of time before we see this come about and then watch Harry try to, once again, pick up the pieces and deal with the trauma.

I don’t want to go quite that far, but they met on a blind date, right? So maybe it’s possible that she was already inclined to like him because of who he was. Meghan is very confident and I believe that Harry is insecure, and maybe he was looking for someone like her to bolster his self-esteem. Maybe he saw her as a way out of the life he didn’t want to live, the life that he knew he couldn’t escape if he were on his own..

I don’t want to go quite that far, but they met on a blind date, right? So maybe it’s possible that she was already inclined to like him because of who he was. Meghan is very confident and I believe that Harry is insecure, and maybe he was looking for someone like her to bolster his self-esteem. Maybe he saw her as a way out of the life he didn’t want to live, the life that he knew he couldn’t escape if he were on his own..

that's what kind of scares me.. Because in spite of everything I do feel a little sorry for Harry.. I am wondering if he was drawn to her partly because he was a lot lonelier and more messed up than he appeared to a casual observer (me at least) and that he really DID feel the need of a woman and a home..and believed that MEg could cope with Royal life and wasn't put off by it, the way some women were. And IMO if she DID come across as "I can cope with it" It was because she didn't actually understand it very well...
And perhaps on some other unconscious level, he also felt "If I DO find I want to get out of this royal cage... Meghan is strong and clever enough to find a way for us to do it". NOW, he's facing the fact that they Are going to do it, and it is scaring him.

Well, if there is any truth in this article, we know now who was really behind this "stepping back as senior Royals"-move! All this talk about "joint decision", "why is only Markle who gets all the blame" and so on is in vain if this story is true!
Surely, Prince Harry was also not happy about his "horrendous fate, worse than death"-situation (no quote, my own words), but he always knew where his place was and what he owed to his grandmother and the country as many things he said during royal tours or interviews in documentaries show.

It is sad, but the truth is that virtually every person marrying into the RF, who came from a broken home/ family him/ herself, caused deep trouble to the monarchy, beginning with Wallis Simpson, Townsend, Lord Snowdon, the Princess of Wales, Fergie and now MM. Can all of these cases really be of pure coincidence?! Who could possibly believe that?

On the positive list we have people like the current Duchess of Gloucester, Sophie Wessex or the Duchess of Cambridge, by origin of stable family backgrounds.

You made a good point here, members who came from broken familie vs members from stable families. Also Wasn't Sophie and the husband having their own business and the Queen asked them to drop it an be full time royals along time ago? For me it is surprising that she left her home with probably a few suitcases not to come back? She knew what was coming, that is the reason they did not spend Xmas with the Queen. This was an elaborate plan. Just I think she does not have roots, I mean family one, I understand she has money to buy any house she wants but it is a sense of belonging. And in the article it is said she did not want her son to grow in a toxic atmosphere , she is taking him away from his own country and his own roots. I am not sure this is wise of it is in the best interest of her son. But knowing how she cut off ties with her father's family and her mother's family you don't wander now she is cutting Hurry from his family. Though I also believe Harry probably wanted out too and her was his perfect match to push it

I do understand what you're saying but I honestly have to question just how confident she really is. Yes, she wants people to believe that she's completely self confident and doesn't waste her energy worrying about what others think of her. But really, haven't the last three years, particularly the last year, shown us otherwise? Using her friends to speak out on her behalf, fleeing to Canada to let Harry handle the fallout on his own, the crocodile tears in that interview, doesn't it all show that just maybe she's not quite the entirely self-confident and self-assured strong woman she wants everyone to believe she is? Some people love to spout those things but behind it all are actually quite self-conscious and unsure and are only masking it well until things get too real, too close, or too hard. I tend to believe this is the category Meghan falls in. And if that's true, then I don't think she's capable of being the solid shoulder than self-conscious and insecure Harry needs to get him through all this.

that's what kind of scares me.. Because in spite of everything I do feel a little sorry for Harry.. I am wondering if he was drawn to her partly because he was a lot lonelier and more messed up than he appeared to a casual observer (me at least) and that he really DID feel the need of a woman and a home..and believed that MEg could cope with Royal life and wasn't put off by it, the way some women were. And IMO if she DID come across as "I can cope with it" It was because she didn't actually understand it very well...
And perhaps on some other unconscious level, he also felt "If I DO find I want to get out of this royal cage... Meghan is strong and clever enough to find a way for us to do it". NOW, he's facing the fact that they Are going to do it, and it is scaring him.

Why do we assume this man is scared? It is interesting listening to the corespondents who have been following them around and none of them think this is all on Meghan. In fact most think Harry is leading the charge. Frankly it just shows how we the observers mostly see what we want to see.

I am with the likes of the press pack and fully think this is more on Harry than Meghan though she was right by his siding willing and ready to leave. They have a child now. Priorities change. What you use to be able to tolerate is now off the table. I suspect that plays a large role in why they want out.

Not really an apples to apples comparison. Denmark is a different country and Mary was going to be the future Queen marrying the Crown Prince.
Plus she had both British and Australian citizenship, so she exchanged just one EUnationality for another.

I agree so much with you! Also she read the book "the rule" Once you read it you know how she really got him!
Of course it is a lot of factors involve, but I am sure she was drawn to the fact he was a prince and the magic of Royalty like a Disney movie

Why do we assume this man is scared? It is interesting listening to the corespondents who have been following them around and none of them think this is all on Meghan. In fact most think Harry is leading the charge. Frankly it just shows how we the observers mostly see what we want to see.

I am with the likes of the press pack and fully think this is more on Harry than Meghan though she was right by his siding willing and ready to leave. They have a child now. Priorities change. What you use to be able to tolerate is now off the table. I suspect that plays a large role in why they want out.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could watch all of this and expect him to not be at least a little bit scared. Change is scary and it doesn't matter who you are or whether you're a little old commoner like us or a royal prince. Change is scary and it's hard. Harry is changing everything he's ever known and is changing and upending his entire life. I think there's probably a wide range of emotions and feelings right now but I'd be absolutely floored if "scared" isn't one of them. You can be scared even when making very positive changes. But when you're stepping away from everyone and everything you've ever known, it's playing out in international headlines, and everyone and their dog has and expresses an opinion, how could he not be at least a little bit scared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom