The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAICR, Harry had to ask for permission to marry.. I agree that the queen wasn't likely to refuse it.. but maybe showing a bit of caution, like suggesting he and Meg lived together for a time, or at least that they moved into Royal life slowly (Meghan) would have been a good idea. If Meg had just done occasional engagements, as Kate did at first, and the queen had held off from giving Harry a big role like the commonwealth for a yaer or 2, then even if they had ended up saying they didn't want to stick wit the Royal role... it would not have been such a bombshell as this was. It was a difficult position I agree. the queen is very old now, its time she handed over most of her work to the grandsons and so on.. and Harry was supposed to be a full time royal. Philip has retired and is now very old and not well. SHe should be able to rely on her family to get on with Royal life and let her take things easier, and know that they will carry on for her. But I can't help wondering did she know that Harry was so wobbly? Or that Meghan was not likely to be able to support him to stay in his job? the problem is that it is difficult to see who can fill in for htem. ANdrew has now left his patronages, the commonwealth is an important job.. and I don't think that Charles wants to call in any of his nephews and nieces and they probably don't want to give up tehir lives either. I agree, if Harry was so wobbly, he should have made it clear years ago that maybe he simply coudlnt or wouldn't become a full time royal and that they would then have had some time to consider other options.

I agree with this, although would the Queen, Charles or any future monarch want to try and ...well, make any serious relationship almost like a job with, say, an interview or a slow dipping of toes into the Royal pool? Then again, this might be a unique situation since how often will future Royal children marry someone who is not British and completely unsuited to the “life” ...which wouldn’t be known before the marriage? Harry himself had dated several women, at least one of whom bowed out because she knew she couldn’t handle being Royal.

The issue with Harry is that I’m not sure how often he opens up to anyone. [...]While he’s close to the Queen, who’s to say he spoke to her about his worries? I suspect Harry just kind of kept a stiff upper lip...

Last edited by a moderator:
But I can't help wondering did she know that Harry was so wobbly? Or that Meghan was not likely to be able to support him to stay in his job? the problem is that it is difficult to see who can fill in for htem. ANdrew has now left his patronages, the commonwealth is an important job.. and I don't think that Charles wants to call in any of his nephews and nieces and they probably don't want to give up tehir lives either. I agree, if Harry was so wobbly, he should have made it clear years ago that maybe he simply coudlnt or wouldn't become a full time royal and that they would then have had some time to consider other options.

Once it started to matter, Charles surely told her and they together were looking for a solution. They probably hoped that Meghan would stabilize him (which she would have IMHO done if the tabloids had stopped to hunt her down that way. One day there were 5 new articles critizising her for this or that in one issue of the DM!)

But yes, it is difficult with the way the RF is organized at the moment. I can well be that Charles together with William and Harry planned to cut down on the HRH-style only for the children of the monarch and his direct heir's kids. That's why little Archie is only "Master Mountbatten-Windsor" now and probably won't be a prince in his life. Thinking about that, I think the parents decided with Charles to wait for the queen's death and then make new decisions whether Archie is earl Dumbarton or Prince Archie of Sussex or stick with Master Mountbatten-Windsor once granddad is king. Which would have been decided if they chose then that but now they are free to follow Charles' wish. And little Louis will grow up as well to know how things are (just like little Sverre in Oslo grew up) for him and his children.

As for Harry being wobbly - I believe the RF did a lot to make him stick to them and his job as a prince. And before he had a wife and son it was not so urgent for him. I believe it wouldn't have been so urgent for them if the media had treated Meghan better.

So understandible that it needed for a small Sussex-branch of the RF for Harry to figure things out. Unfortunately not for the family he was born into.

I agree with this, although would the Queen, Charles or any future monarch want to try and ...well, make any serious relationship almost like a job with, say, an interview or a slow dipping of toes into the Royal pool? Then again, this might be a unique situation since how often will future Royal children marry someone who is not British and completely unsuited to the “life” ...which wouldn’t be known before the marriage? Harry himself had dated several women, at least one of whom bowed out because she knew she couldn’t handle being Royal.

The issue with Harry is that I’m not sure how often he opens up to anyone. [...]While he’s close to the Queen, who’s to say he spoke to her about his worries? I suspect Harry just kind of kept a stiff upper lip...
]

problem is, that it IS a job. Meghan seemed keen on it, she was doing engagements ealry on and seemed to be well up to it, which isn't surprising as she was an actress and used to public performing. So I think the queen can't imagine that anyone would have real problems with the "job" or that they would undertake royal life and then walk away from it.

I do feel that either Harry should have opened up if he was really so unsure of whther he could do the royal job.. a few years ago.. or that the RF should have noticed if he seemed to be getting wobbly. It does seem frorm stories in the papers over the past few months that this withdrawal has been coming on for the past 6 months or so, and that the 2 of them have felt unable to cope, but either could not or would not discuss with the rest of the family...

*AGENTS* - why would 'a senior member of the BRF' require or retain them ? Does the Princess Royal do commercials ? Does the Duchess of Cambridge 'step the boards' ?

We don't even know what is meant by the word and already it is used against Meghan, while the queen herself has business agents help her staff running her business interests.

Do your think then that Harry’s quest for financial independence was motivated by fears that William might cut him off when he is king ?

Anyway, going forward I believe it makes sense that second- born children in Royal Families grow up with financial independence as a goal considering that public support for funding siblings of monarchs later in life is diminishing. The norm for adult siblings will be to be part timers and be reimbursed only for the royal events they attend as it is the case in Sweden or the Netherlands .

The problem with Harry is that it should have been done the proper way , I e going to university and getting a real career , or starting a business like Princess Anne’s that is completely separated from his royal profile. The Sussex Royal brand mixes the two things in a completely inappropriate way .

Not yet it doesn't. Or can you give me examples yet? It is feared that... is the way the papers claim such things...

We don't even know what is meant by the word and already it is used against Meghan, while the queen herself has business agents help her staff running her business interests.

I think we do know what an actress's agent is...

Family dynamics and relationships are complicated and that's just with handing the families we all have. We really do not have an insider's view of the dynamics between *any* of the BRF and as outsiders looking in at seeing a little bit here and a little bit there, we don't have a full enough picture to actually psychoanalyze these people as being "wobbly" "daft" "myopic" "ditzy" or any other description we can use as labels for them.

Life is trial and error and being royal doesn't make them exempt from this. What is so surprising about when Harry and Meghan started down the road of royal life that they actually expected it to work beautifully and were happy and eager to jump right in and go full speed ahead? It didn't work out that way and when something doesn't work, you fix it. Its a truism that in order to *know* something (such as royal life in the fishbowl, marriage and family, deciding to colonize and live on Mars etc) it takes experience to *know*. Knowing and understanding are horses of two different colors and breeds.

I can read and understand the dynamics of what its like to walk on the moon but until I actually *do* walk on the moon, I can't say I *know* what its like. For all I know, it could make me physically sick every time I put the space walk suit on. That would have been something unforseen in my understanding of walking on the moon.

A lot of the craziness with the harassment of Meghan and the huge responses to her appearances with a cookbook on a best seller list, being dragged over the coals about insignificant details such as Avocado Gate and doing things differently with the birth of Archie all fit into the experiences that have led to where the Sussexes are now. They couldn't have been predicted or prepared for when they decided to walk the road of life together.

In a way, the relationship and marriage of Harry and Meghan up until now really has been the closest thing to "Dianamania" as we've ever gotten and what we're seeing is the effects of all that. It couldn't have been predicted either. Its a unique situation that involves two unique people and their trials and errors as they walk through life together.

At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:
problem is, that it IS a job. Meghan seemed keen on it, she was doing engagements ealry on and seemed to be well up to it, which isn't surprising as she was an actress and used to public performing. So I think the queen can't imagine that anyone would have real problems with the "job" or that they would undertake royal life and then walk away from it.

I do feel that either Harry should have opened up if he was really so unsure of whther he could do the royal job.. a few years ago.. or that the RF should have noticed if he seemed to be getting wobbly. It does seem frorm stories in the papers over the past few months that this withdrawal has been coming on for the past 6 months or so, and that the 2 of them have felt unable to cope, but either could not or would not discuss with the rest of the family...

I don’t think it’s fair to expect anyone to be mind readers, and that’s why I firmly believe it was on Harry to express his feelings. The People magazine I quoted earlier in the thread, and which the below article references, goes into more detail, but:

“Let down by the institution”? Wanting to “carve out a new model”? What are H and M trying to do, create a different kind of Royal family in North America? One that’s openly emotional and different from his own or the BRF in past generations ?

The more I read, the more upset I get with them. This rift with William could have been resolved if he told his brother how he felt and they got it all out in the open. Is Harry so unforgiving? Because, to be honest, he sounds as unbending as Meghan. I thought he’d gotten closer to his father lately - ironically because of Meghan- but Sarah Vine said in a piece written a few days ago that Harry had been distancing himself from Charles, from everyone. To my mind, both H and M are largely to blame for the “bad blood” they think exists.

Don't we? An agent in the Entertainment industry manages careers of their clients who are Actors in that industry. If she retained that Agent, which means she is still paying them, then it indicates she may have been planning all along to use her position to pursue projects within that industry. That is very telling and gives rise to what is really going on with these latest developments from her end.

I think retaining an agent, business interests and lawyers in the US was Plan B ( and a fallback) for Meghan. It is an American instinct to do so and doesn’t necessarily mean she was not committed to Plan A, although I understand it might look like that to the British public.

Certainly she didn’t make a complete break with her former professional life as Mary Donaldson did when she moved from Australia to Denmark , but Mary is destined to be the next queen, so the two situations are not exactly the same.

What I am sure , however, is that Sussex Royal is something that was largely engineered by Meghan’s North American advisors,/ agents , Plan B then became Plan A , which is troubling.

The more I read, the more upset I get with them. This rift with William could have been resolved if he told his brother how he felt and they got it all out in the open. Is Harry so unforgiving? Because, to be honest, he sounds as unbending as Meghan. I thought he’d gotten closer to his father lately - ironically because of Meghan- but Sarah Vine said in a piece written a few days ago that Harry had been distancing himself from Charles, from everyone. To my mind, both H and M are largely to blame for the “bad blood” they think exists.

I would not normally have been taking the various stories about them over the summer all that seriously but this business makes me think that ther was something in the stories..... that Meg and Harry have rightly or wrongly felt very stressed and not happy and that they HAVE been distanced from the RF.I think that it seems that its they who have doen the distancing.. Rather than going to Charles or WIlliam and admitting that they feel like wlaking away, they just seemed to wall up alone with the baby and avoid talking about it - possibly knowing that it would lead to conflict.

Whatever the solution may be, there will always be extreme scrutiny, headlines, divided opinions, emotional turmoil.. the press will have fodder for the next two decades. This is not going to end well, especially for Harry, he will be torn between worlds. He is who he is and where he was born into, stepping back will not change this in the long run. I see him even more unstable and confused in years to come. Meghan will be fine, she got what she wanted, but at what expense. The rift within the family and especially between the brothers will hardly ever heal.

I'm afraid this is true. Harry is going to be the loser here.

Another aspect that s rarely commented on is, The Queen will not get to know Archie. How sad is that?

Frankly, at this point, I am sooo over the “woe is me” atttitude from H&M. They want to move on .. OK. Go out and get a job like the real people you say you want to be. Don’t hole yourselves up in a multi-million dollar mansion waiting for your bailout. I no longer have sympathy for them.

Don't we? An agent in the Entertainment industry manages careers of their clients who are Actors in that industry. If she retained that Agent, which means she is still paying them, then it indicates she may have been planning all along to use her position to pursue projects within that industry. That is very telling and gives rise to what is really going on with these latest developments from her end.

How possible is it to retain an agent in the entertainment business for the specific purpose of keeping tabs on things such as royalties, granting permission to use clips of an actor in a movie and other rights due to Meghan in her different roles in her career? Suits goes into syndication or episodes that she's been in are shown in reruns, she accrues royalties from that. Same thing with each time a movie she's starred in for the Hallmark Channel airs.

Just because Meghan has left her acting career and has married into a royal family doesn't mean that her acting career isn't something that is filed away in a dusty warehouse somewhere. ?

How possible is it to retain an agent in the entertainment business for the specific purpose of keeping tabs on things such as royalties, granting permission to use clips of an actor in a movie and other rights due to Meghan in her different roles in her career? Suits goes into syndication or episodes that she's been in are shown in reruns, she accrues royalties from that. Same thing with each time a movie she's starred in for the Hallmark Channel airs.

Just because Meghan has left her acting career and has married into a royal family doesn't mean that her acting career isn't something that is filed away in a dusty warehouse somewhere. ?

You actually make a good point about syndication requiring Meghan to keep an agent .

I know they got married quickly, but Meghan was 37 and keen to start a family. As Sophie and Zara, and I suspect maybe Princess Charlene, Princess Stephanie and others, have found out, not everyone is lucky enough – as Meghan was, in the end – to be able to have a baby as soon as they start trying. I’d think that that was probably why they didn’t want to wait.

I think retaining an agent, business interests and lawyers in the US was Plan B ( and a fallback) for Meghan. It is an American instinct to do so and doesn’t necessarily mean she was not committed to Plan A, although I understand it might look like that to the British public.

Certainly she didn’t make a complete break with her former professional life as Mary Donaldson did when she moved from Australia to Denmark , but Mary is destined to be the next queen, so the two situations are not exactly the same.

What I am sure , however, is that Sussex Royal is something that was largely engineered by Meghan’s North American advisors,/ agents , Plan B then became Plan A , which is troubling.

It's all is very troubling. It's not the same as marrying her first husband when you decide it isn't going to work out, you just mail the wedding ring back to him. This is an institution and once you are in, it is very difficult and complex to get out. You would think that would have been quite obvious to her early on.

I would not normally have been taking the various stories about them over the summer all that seriously but this business makes me think that ther was something in the stories..... that Meg and Harry have rightly or wrongly felt very stressed and not happy and that they HAVE been distanced from the RF.I think that it seems that its they who have doen the distancing.. Rather than going to Charles or WIlliam and admitting that they feel like wlaking away, they just seemed to wall up alone with the baby and avoid talking about it - possibly knowing that it would lead to conflict.

That’s what it seems like to me, that they got all hurt and bothered, and instead of telling anyone how they felt (which, if you don’t, how can they help you), they withdrew and let it eat away at them.

The private engagement in Canada seals the entire narrative for me.

Meghan made it clear in her pre-Harry life that her ideal life path would be, and I forget the words or phrasing, essentially highlighting causes and serving as a sort of patron for highlighting issues close to her heart. The only problem is, there is absolutely no demand for that unless you are one of two things: fabulously wealthy, so you can donate to those causes on a big-impact level, or incredibly famous, so you can inspire enough other people to donate to make a difference.

So Meghan meets and falls in love with one of a handful of people in the world who can give her not one but both of the things she needs to fulfill her dream, but also puts in her a position where she can't really do it. She can't just highlight the causes close to heart and form connections how, when, and where she thinks she can make the most impact.

And the narrative here is that, through no forethought but through totally unforeseen and unexpected outside forces, here we are less than four years later and she is in the exact position she needed to be in to fulfill her lifelong dreams but without the restraints holding her back. In fact, less than a week after the announcement, she is out there doing what she always wanted to do (using her wealth and her position to privately influence causes) while her husband and his family deal with fallout a continent away.

This is why people predicted from the very beginning that the situation we are in would emerge. Meghan told us where she wanted to end up. It should be no surprise that she got there.

To me it’s more about making it personal because ultimately this is about family. Harry is HM’s grandson before he’s the Duke of Sussex...
Harry himself said otherwise when being interviewed for the documentary on the Queen´s 90th birthday, claiming he thinks of her " first as my boss and then as my grandmother...."

I thought that was quite revealing.

Valid point! I didn't think about that aspect of it.

fulfill her lifelong dreams but without the restraints holding her back.

The sight of her doing just that , [on the News this Morning] will further stoke the anger against her in the UK.

It felt 'like a kick in the teeth'..

Last edited:
Do your think then that Harry’s quest for financial independence was motivated by fears that William might cut him off when he is king ?

Anyway, going forward I believe it makes sense that second- born children in Royal Families grow up with financial independence as a goal considering that public support for funding siblings of monarchs later in life is diminishing. The norm for adult siblings will be to be part timers and be reimbursed only for the royal events they attend as it is the case in Sweden or the Netherlands .

The problem with Harry is that it should have been done the proper way , I e going to university and getting a real career , or starting a business like Princess Anne’s that is completely separated from his royal profile. The Sussex Royal brand mixes the two things in a completely inappropriate way .

I mean potentially? Only they know but we can't rule it out. So yes I also agree that the non heirs should be able to give themselves some security.

As for the so called "branding" -- until I see it actually happen it is just a lot of noise to me.

I think it is apparent at this point that they have been distancing themselves because they have wanted to pursue their own interests on their terms from the get go and were not able to under the current structure, which of course they wouldn't be. Therefore, they became frustrated and unhappy and hoped to use public opinion to force the issue. That backfired.

Her supporters can argue that they were pushed into these decisions due to "racial" slurs, and negative media coverage, and tension within the family, but that just won't fly at this point with only 19 months into their marriage. They seem to have had a game plan all along and it when it wasn't working the way they wanted in the time they wanted it, they began using the "victim" card to sway public opinion on their side. That is my view on it at least based on how this has all played out. Their website was not thrown together in a few weeks.

Is it true Meghan can't apply for British citizenship if she stays in Canada? I know it's skeptical but what if the timing of this move to Canada is on purpose?

What we do know: they are no longer senior, full time royals. They committed to that job. And quit to be something else yet to be determined. Leaving everyone else- a quickly dwindling number of people- to deal with the fallout.

They did it without informing the family they were going public and added to the mayhem by rolling out a website full of details not agreed upon or worked out. It was also vague, begging for more public speculation.

They invited what criticism they’re getting. They couldn’t have handled this much worse.

I’ll say this about the media: it is nasty. No argument. I sympathize with them- and the rest of the family- there. But you have a choice in how you internalize, handle it and how much of it you choose to read/listen to. They basically chose to let it dominate their lives, best I can tell from that interview and their decision to step back.

You do not need to be a university graduate to serve two tours of Afghanistan as he did. A bullet or a bomb doesn't differentiate between a graduate and a non graduate

He went to Sandhurst, for goodness sake. A life he appeared to love.

If Meghan wants to continue her work within the tv/ film industry that's great, there is probably a wide range of opportunities within that industry not just acting. That would enable them or at least Meghan to be self sufficient without trading on her title. Win all round.

There would have been no story at least a lesser story if they had waited until everything was in place. There is a vacuum that the papers intend to fill.

Exactly. She has a show that literally was picked up for syndication worldwide. Also she has other media ventures. How many times have her movies aired in the last 2 years? One movie was literally re-released to theaters and others picks up by streaming services. Meghan has commercials that have been re-aired. Many clips featuring her likeness from pre royal days. All of which has to be legally signed off on. So yes it was wise to maintain someone to care for that and the royalties she collects each time it happens.

Meghan had a life pre royalty and that still continues despite everything.

That’s a bit of an over- statement imo.

What we do know: they are no longer senior, full time royals. They committed to that job. And quit to be something else yet to be determined. Leaving everyone else- a quickly dwindling number of people- to deal with the fallout.

They did it without informing the family they were going public and added to the mayhem by rolling out a website full of details not agreed upon or worked out. It was also vague, begging for more public speculation.

They invited what criticism they’re getting. They couldn’t have handled this much worse.

I’ll say this about the media: it is nasty. No argument. I sympathize with them- and the rest of the family- there. But you have a choice in how you internalize, handle it and how much of it you choose to read/listen to. They basically chose to let it dominate their lives, best I can tell from that interview and their decision to step back.

I agree. The question is why?

That's something that always puzzled me. Why would a famous person read or listen headlines, articles and other things in the media about themselves? I always thought it was curiosity...but, still, not many celebrities read about what it's written about them, because it's damaging.

That’s a bit of an over- statement imo.

They didn't quit to do and be something else. We know specifically that they want to step back as full time royals. Anything other than that is still unclear and vague.

We do not know as fact what the scenario was that rolled out the website and the rationing behind it. I do agree it was not a way to go and it did invite a lot of the speculation that has gone on ever since. Its the vagueness that has people jumping to conclusions, looking for hidden meanings in everything and anything that's ever concerned this couple and the camps are forming as much right now as they did in the War of the Wales years. Everyone and their manicurist with the awesome nail designs sees something different. Its been dominating the media and to be honest, I see very little positive thinking at all on this crisis. I honestly believe though that where there is a negative, there could be a positive if one really looked for one. The reasons for having an agent is one of them.

We have no idea how much coverage in the media they actually paid attention if any at all. I'm sure they must have been aware of the overall picture but I think the situation they've found themselves in now relates to far different issues than we're actually cognizant of. They had voiced their concerns, wanted to make changes and be listened to but from what I gather, they were told to "put it in writing" (a business plan) and they'd "talk about it". I would even hazard a guess (and its only a guess as its not fact) that it all started last summer with the split between the brothers and the foundation they shared.

My point was that with us, the outsiders looking in, we so easily form our own opinions on what we're fed from here and from there and what Ms. X said or Mr. A reported. Things aren't always as they seem but with the little facts that we actually do know (i.e. the statement issued, the website, the Queen's statement), a lot has been purported as how things are that actually can be seen as from being in left field in a galaxy far, far away. The "agent" thing for instance. Has Meghan conniving and plotting a scheming all along from the get go to use and abuse Harry by marrying him, giving the Bronx cheer to the BRF and "fleeing" to Canada in a royal snit never to return.

This isn't a fractured fairy tale but lives of real people that happen to have their entire lives on "show" for the public and get dragged and snorted at for even the most inane reasons imaginable. No one knows the behind the scenes events that have occurred and without knowing that, we do not and cannot have the full picture of how things are. That, to me, is what the court of public opinion is doing. Prosecuting these people without knowing the entire story complete with all the facts and clarification from both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom