The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

If I were the Queen (there's a fun game) I'd be suggesting:

-they will continue to have funding for UK life and UK office (which I imagine will be much reduced)
-when in UK and doing public duties they will be able to use HRH Duke/Duchess of Sussex
-they will have usual royal police protection in UK
-probably wouldn't undertake overseas visits but will support patronages in the UK
-meet cost of 6 return flights from wherever they settle to UK each year (Trooping, Christmas, Easter and handful of others)

-Charles to provide six figure amount as personal living allowance (but much less than what they get now and not listed under official expenditure but from Charles own private spending)
-Harry and Meghan to use personal funds to pay for a North America home
-for anything other than approved events (requiring approval from BP) they will use either Mr & Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor or Mr & Mrs Sussex (their choice of which) only
-NDA preventing them talking about RF and its workings
-Couple meet North America security costs privately

Old 01-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Commoner

Like many I have problems with several ways that the Sussexes went about this change to their rolls, most notably:
  • announcing without buy-in from the Queen
  • leaving Archie in Canada, seemingly as a bargaining chip.

But, I think some folks have gone completely overboard in the vitriol. As others, such as iluvberte, have noted it's too late for them to lose their peerages. It would take an act of parliament for that to occur. And it would be very strange for Harry to lose his HRH given that he remains the grandson of the monarch (and eventually the son of a king). It would also, optically, look strange for Harry to lose his style when Andrew has not.

In a similar vein, Andrew has essentially retired (been driven out?) of public duties. I haven't seen a similar stampede to remove his peerages, styles, and public funding.

In the end, these people are a family. Despite the frustrations they may feel with each other, they will work out some amicable compromise.

I expect Harry and Meagan will retain their titles, but be severely restricted in their ability to use them in any commercial endeavor. From the way this has played out, (despite their insistence that they want to continue to serve) it's not entirely clear that they want to remain even part time in the UK. Regardless, they'll likely have to pay for the renovations to Frogmore and (if they continue to reside there) pay rent moving forward. They'll only get police protection when officially working from the crown.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Apparently the Obama's have released a statement denying that they even gave any advice to Harry and Meghan. It is extremely detailed and talks about the handful of times they have interacted with them. It ends by talking about their friendship with Will and Kate.

So, in the last two days Oprah and the Obama's have come out and distanced themselves for the Sussex duo. This does not bode well for the Sussex "brand"
What statement from the Obamas? They did not release an official statement. People has a sourced story that is it. Lets pls be accurate in our posting. And the People story is simply refuting tabloid lies which is their right. No matter how much I may like someone, I wouldnt want to be dragged into an international situation I actually have no part in.

The tabs have now dragged Elton in.

Again, the media is throwing everything at the wall.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
According to People mag, in November Meghan visited at Frogmore with an extremely high profile US politician who also happens to have a foundation that bears her surname. At the time I wrote this off as Meghan naturally wanting to rub shoulders with high-profile people.

If, and its a BIG if, she took advice from this particular person, heaven help her. If you don't know who it is, just take a wild guess and look it up.

I cant find an online reference on anything from the Obamas---can you give us a news source. Thanks
This is what pops up if I type 'Obama Sussex' in my search engine: ET Canada

This article in The Telegraph mentions the Foundations of the Clintons, Obamas and Gates families as reference points for the Sussex Royal foundation.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I have been a follower of the British Royal family since I was 9 years old, and I agree with you. I think there needs to be serious "punishment" (that is not the word but I can't think of one) of H & M for their arrogance.
I too think "punishment" is the wrong word - consequences?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

https://etcanada.com/news/572494/mic...ess-of-sussex/

The Obama's have btw let it be known they did not advise Meghan and Harry
Old 01-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Sunday Times has exclusive comment from William in their edition tomorrow

The Duke of Cambridge speaks of his “sadness” at the broken bond with Prince Harry and his sorrow that the royal family is no longer a “team”. Prince William: “I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that anymore...I’m sad about that.”
If that's a quote, then wow! Double wow!!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
It's sad for Harry and I am not saying this out of dislike for Meghan either, per se, but nothing about their marriage so far makes me think Meghan is a 'team' player, loves and supports Harry by encouraging his interests and talents, looking out for his mental health, keeping him close to those who love him. Another poster mentioned that if Harry's memories of his mother's death are triggered by the camera flashes, why not stay away from the lights and cameras? Instead, they are seeking the spotlight for their own global brand. And I agree with other posters who've said that this path seems to be Meghan's idea, not Harry's - he was interested in Africa, the Invictus Games, not necessarily global celebrityhood.

Meghan may not have the experience of being part of a functional extended family, so she finds it easy to step out on her own. But Harry has lived in England all his life, and moving to a new country away from all family except one's spouse is challenging even for people who are totally emotionally healthy. So I hope, if Canada is the country they choose, they find a comfortable home here, but honestly I don't think any of this bodes well for a lasting marriage.
I really do feel sorry for Harry in all this. However, he and she may just have to get cut off financially for Harry to ever wake up and smell the coffee.
I hope BP does something that will wake him up. It takes tough love many times. [...]I think he has never successfully dealt with his mother's death, and he may never. It may always be a work in progress for him, and he needs his family around him. Harry seemed to be at the best place he had ever been just before he met Meghan when he spoke of getting counseling due to William's encouragement. Now he and William appear to be at odds he looks like an unhappy man almost every time I see him. I really wish she would be a team player, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
That assumes the York girls would even want to step in. They’ve built lives outside of being FT members of the Firm. PT or FT- it’s presumptuous to assume they want to step in because Harry and Meghan decided not to live up to the commitment they made.
I just thought at one point they had expressed an interest. If they did not, then that is presumptuous of me.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I do not think anyone can object to them using Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor for commercial gain. It is their name. However, I do not think that most of the people wanting to hire them for these ventures want Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor, they want TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
The reality is whether they call themselves Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor, or evening Sussex as a last name, businesses will want them.

People don’t have short memories. Harry is not a German prince or prince of a monarchy few people know of. Harry and Meghan are both already a brand. Harry the son of Diana and former party prince. Meghan as the birscial actress who married a prince. Anyone who thinks forcing them not to use their titles will stop them cashing in on who they are is dillusional at best.

In reality this scandal will help. Businesses won’t care if Harry is qualified, they want his fame and name even sans title. All this did is make Harry and Meghan even more recognizable. Recognition is money.

I’d be shocked if Harry and Meghan, whatever their name or title don’t already have deals lined up. If they plan on living in Canada and working even more sign they aren’t just jumping in blind and hoping to work it out. Only thing needing worked out is on the royal side.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I agree that it seems HM does seems to let things rock on. I hope she will really stand up to H & M. I am afraid if she does not, this may be the beginning of the end of the monarchy (as another poster stated), and not because of how H & M are acting, but because of the failure to deal with misbehavior in an example-making way.
I think this is a huge stretch ....I don’t expect the Queen to go all scorched earth on H and M - it’s STILL her grandson. Same with Charles. I don’t think they can afford to cave to the Sussexes, but there must be a middle ground, and I believe they’ll find it. The monarchy has survived for 1000 years, and survived far worse than this.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:49 PM
Commoner

An article about Princess Margaret in the DM today. Margaret, Andrew, now Harry - issues with the second in line. Something for the family to keep in mind when Charlotte gets older.
Heir Apparent

Oprah and the Obamas were being accused of influencing them to walk away from the BRF. Of course they would comment on such a story. Today's paper now saying Elton.

That is hardly distancing when in fact Oprah says "I care about them a lot." These are high profile people and these clickbait nonsense articles are coming in fast despite no truth being held.

Next we will hear about the Clooneys. Everyone connected getting tagged.
Heir Apparent

^ Actions do indeed have consequences, and i'm certain HMQ believes so too..Naturally she will seek to be as emollient as possible [within her 'Red Lines'], which will have been set by a combination of herself,the PoW, the Govt, and crucially [I think] of the DoC, who may prove [in this instance] to be 'hardline'..
Old 01-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
https://etcanada.com/news/572494/mic...ess-of-sussex/

The Obama's have btw let it be known they did not advise Meghan and Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post

I cant find an online reference on anything from the Obamas---can you give us a news source. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soula View Post
That is really interesting but not unexpected although it is playing out much quicker than I had thought. They have underestimated the universal respect for the Queen and overestimated their importance.

The Obama's in particular know the meaning of 'Duty'. H & M do not and selfishness is rarely rewarded in the long run.

As I mentioned earlier, the Obamas have released no statement at all. It’s sources talking to sources, nothing official.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
If I were the Queen (there's a fun game) I'd be suggesting:

-they will continue to have funding for UK life and UK office (which I imagine will be much reduced)
-when in UK and doing public duties they will be able to use HRH Duke/Duchess of Sussex
-they will have usual royal police protection in UK
-probably wouldn't undertake overseas visits but will support patronages in the UK
-meet cost of 6 return flights from wherever they settle to UK each year (Trooping, Christmas, Easter and handful of others)

-Charles to provide six figure amount as personal living allowance (but much less than what they get now and not listed under official expenditure but from Charles own private spending)
-Harry and Meghan to use personal funds to pay for a North America home
-for anything other than approved events (requiring approval from BP) they will use either Mr & Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor or Mr & Mrs Sussex (their choice of which) only
-NDA preventing them talking about RF and its workings
-Couple meet North America security costs privately
Sounds quite reasonable and would provide the best protection for the BRF. Not something Meghan and Harry would agree to though.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Oh, that’s heartbreaking. There’s something special about sibling relationship, especially this one. I have to believe they will repair their relationship in time...maybe with their father’s help.

In the meantime, I hope that William will grow closer to his father; they are both sharing this pain...
Old 01-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
apparently, conversations over H&M are 'progressing well':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51074844

oh, to be a fly on the wall in those conversations...! wouldn't it be interesting to hear everyone's point of view?
I would love to know Prince Philip's point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Its being reported [in the New York Times] that the Prince of Wales has asked the Duke of Sussex to repay the cost of renovation Frogmore Cottage..

IF true, it rather sounds like they won't be living here at all...
I hope it is true, but I would take the NYT with a grain of salt.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Did the duke of Cambridge say these things to the press? Or are 'sources inside the palace' claiming that he said these things?.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

On a side note I wonder how Tom Bradby will be able to be seen as an impartial journalist anymore when he is in the Sunday Times with the following:

Writing for this newspaper, Tom Bradby, who did the recent ITV interview in which Harry and Meghan confessed their sense of isolation, warned failure to keep the pair on side could lead the Duke & Duchess of Sussex to do a 'no-holds barred' interview that could damage the monarchy further.
He writes 'I have some idea of what might be aired in a full, no-holds barred sit down interview and I don't think it would be pretty.'

Is it the job of journalists to deliver messages (or threats in effect) from their friends to estranged family?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
On a side note I wonder how Tom Bradby will be able to be seen as an impartial journalist anymore when he is in the Sunday Times with the following:

He’s not been impartial for a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Did the duke of Cambridge say these things to the press? Or are 'sources inside the palace' claiming that he said these things?.

William hasn’t said a thing.