The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
To the Canadians on this board … any backlash at the possibility of Jessica Mulroney having "guided" her bff Meghan in this ill-fated endeavor? 'Just wondering.
I never heard of Jessica Mulroney until Meghan got engaged even though I live in the same city. Her husband Ben is the son of a former Prime Minster and is/was was a very minor media personality.

I don't think there will be much of a backlash because most people here don't pay any attention to her.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Nobility

I cannot speak for anyone else here but I'm not afraid of Meghan or her influence (or lack of it) in the BRF. I thought she had potential but based on her actionsI don't think she fully realizes that just saying you are something does not make you that thing. The old showbiz saying is never believe your own press.

Harry went to war and came back with a heart for his wounded brothers, so we have Invictus. It doesn't get more real than that.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently there will be a "summit" at Sandringham on Monday with HM, Charles and Harry there and Meghan phoning in from Canada.

Thats from Rebecca English (DM reporter) on twitter

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...02612979851265

Chris Ship says the same but also says William will be there too

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...02479668092930
Old 01-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Apparently there will be a "summit" at Sandringham on Monday with HM, Charles and Harry there and Meghan phoning in from Canada.

Interesting, no William ?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Interesting, no William ?
Chris Ship says William will be there too, have edited my post. Would love to be listening to that meeting between them all
Old 01-11-2020, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
This is Meghan’s understanding of the BRF. Celebrities “collaborate” with brands and she thinks the Queen and the BRF are a brand. IMO, she never has or never wanted to, understand what being Royal really means
I agree. It is disturbing to think back when she said that she was going to "hit the ground running." She has definitely hit the ground running...to Canada.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

If true, it's nonetheless rather extraordinary that Meghan isn't even there in person to discuss her own future ...
Old 01-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think this is going to go poorly. I hope I’m wrong, but I really wish they hadn’t rushed this decision. I think they’ll get far more scrutiny this way than if they had just been quiet and done very low key work for a while.

I really like Meghan and think she could have been a tremendous asset to the royal family, but I don’t think she was prepared for how her life would change. How could she have been? It’s not like anything anyone else goes through and she and Harry didn’t date very long before they got married. Kate had the benefit of ten years of experience before her marriage and she went in knowing fully what she was getting into in a way that wasn’t possible for Meghan.

I hope that whatever happens they’re happier, but I think this is the start of months of scrutiny into every small thing they do and how it’s paid for.
In my opinion, this is exactly why they should have dated longer. I remember during William and Kate's engagement interview, he said he wanted to give Kate enough time to decide if she really wanted to get herself into it (not the exact words). Meghan should have done the same thing.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Just FYI:

I tweeted Victoria Arbiter and asked if she thought whether it would backfire on the Queen and Prince Charles if they gave in too much of Harry and Meghan’s “demands”?

She said that

Quote:
We have to remember there's a family trying to work things out here not just a business. HM & Charles are not going to want to cut H&M off & banish them, but they'll also have to answer to the British public so whatever they come up with will have to be very carefully thought out. There's so much to consider, but ultimately they'll want H&M to be happy with whatever is finally agreed upon.
I agree. We’re not just talking about the Queen and PoW, but a grandmother and father. They can be angry and hurt without wanting to “punish” Harry and Meghan. I trust them to do the best thing.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Would Prince Harry and Meghan eventually have to become citizens of Canada?
I think that this question has been answered. No they don't have to ever become citizens to live here. There are people here who've never become Canadian citizens but there are legal permanent residents (that's the requirement to stay longer than 5 consecutive months) However, without citizenship, you don't have some right citizens have. You cannot vote or run for political office, cannot travel under a Canadian passport, our government won't assist you if you run into difficulties outside of the country, you can be refused re entry into Canada and you commit a serious crime, you may be deported out of Canada.

However as I've previously stated you have to be a permanent resident (a legal status you apply for that is granted by the Canadian government.) As I and others have stated neither of them are eligible to apply as permanent residents. The exception being unless they qualify for some work permit (Meghan could do another TV show) or UK govt grants Harry some form of diplomatic credentials (which would mean that would to be careful with what they say). Neither of these options are considered being a permanent resident as you have to leave when the job ends. Permanent residents can stay here indefinitely and earn money here.

If they leave every 5 consecutive months and come back (I don't know how long the period is), they could live here semi permanently as visitors. However, as visitors, they cannot legally make money here (you need a work permit for that if you aren't a permanent resident aka "landed immigrant".)
Old 01-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Courtier

Could somebody please tell me why Harry should be paid if he wants to move away from the family and be financially independent.
If they wish to partially remain and carry out duties , it will be difficult to then earn a private income. Not impossible but not easy.
It is also quite obvious that a lot of this has been planned, there could be other things all waiting to come out.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

To gain an idea about how big this news is in other countries:
5 articles on the NOS-website since Wednesday (2x Wednesday; 2x Thursday; 1x today). Normally it's probably 2-3 royal related articles a week (from both the Dutch and foreign royal houses combined).
It's a rather busy few days: 2 more royal articles on the death of sultan Qaboos (today).
Old 01-11-2020, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
This is all shocking but I am not surprised. But what is this? Do they keep their titles? Their home that is technically on a publically owned estate. Do they get publicly paid security. And in all honesty, apart form his not insubstantial inheritance from his mother, Harry has no money of his own, his is under educated aside from having the best schooling money can buy, and all he has to do now to get things done is to say he is interested in things. People only support him because he is royal. No matter how much charisma he has. The money he inherited will not sustain his lifestyle more than about half a decade. Who will exactly support him with his charities? If they wanted to step back from public life altogether, go back into the army, even Meghan to pick up bits of acting work. That would be different. But they want to keep a super high public image. Found their own charities but just not be royal. That is entirely different. How is this going to stop the media frenzy or its toxicity except for the fact that if they are not royal they will be forgotten about eventually. How is that going to be for the charities. That is the dilemma of royal lives
No freedom. Do great things for the lives of others and you have everything money could want.

Basically trying to be his mother but her scenario was different. It is very worrying and I am.sure his family are upset.
Also, the allure of Meghan and Harry is that Harry is royal and Meghan is "commoner to royal". Now that they are stepping back, it makes me wonder if eventually the interest will wane with their independence from the royal family.
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Could somebody please tell me why Harry should be paid if he wants to move away from the family and be financially independent.
If they wish to partially remain and carry out duties , it will be difficult to then earn a private income. Not impossible but not easy.
It is also quite obvious that a lot of this has been planned, there could be other things all waiting to come out.
That is between he and his father since that is where the money comes from.

LaRa
Royal Highness

Quote:

Based on Twitter reaction, the public is in no mood for concessions to H & M. I don’t blame them, but as I said in my lost below, the Queen and Charles don’t want to “lose” them - we’re still talking about a grandmother and father.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrs View Post
I think that this question has been answered. No they don't have to ever become citizens to live here. There are people here who've never become Canadian citizens but there are legal permanent residents (that's the requirement to stay longer than 5 consecutive months) However, without citizenship, you don't have some right citizens have. You cannot vote or run for political office, cannot travel under a Canadian passport, our government won't assist you if you run into difficulties outside of the country, you can be refused re entry into Canada and you commit a serious crime, you may be deported out of Canada.

However as I've previously stated you have to be a permanent resident (a legal status you apply for that is granted by the Canadian government.) As I and others have stated neither of them are eligible to apply as permanent residents. The exception being unless they qualify for some work permit (Meghan could do another TV show) or UK govt grants Harry some form of diplomatic credentials (which would mean that would to be careful with what they say). Neither of these options are considered being a permanent resident as you have to leave when the job ends. Permanent residents can stay here indefinitely and earn money here.

If they leave every 5 consecutive months and come back (I don't know how long the period is), they could live here semi permanently as visitors. However, as visitors, they cannot legally make money here (you need a work permit for that if you aren't a permanent resident aka "landed immigrant".)
So, that would suggest that the other option is 'temporary residents' (the USA has that category for those who are legally in the country but don't have green card (yet)); and temporary residents would be allowed to live in a country and make money (as they are residents because of their job).
Old 01-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Courtier

That is true, this is a family, also to be blunt there could be an element of a deal with regards what they do in the future if they receive a pay off. Although there has to be trust between all parties for that kind of arrangement.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
If true, it's nonetheless rather extraordinary that Meghan isn't even there in person to discuss her own future ...
Personally I think it looks really bad that Meghan isn't there. I've wondered why she isn't there. Is she so worried about the media blow back in the UK to their announcement she can't even stay there? Afraid to meet with the other royals and hear from them directly? Busy lining up commercial opportunities?

As she and Harry don't seem to want an entirely private life does she not understand that public perception is important for their new role? Most of the criticism I've seen is not that they want to change their role but the way they've gone about it.

In the past, I've defended both of them but I'm very disappointed in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
So, that would suggest that the other option is 'temporary residents' (the USA has that category for those who are legally in the country but don't have green card (yet)); and temporary residents would be allowed to live in a country and make money (as they are residents because of their job).
It's different in Canada. (I'm aware of the US system as I have an American parent and I actually am a dual citizen of both Canada & the US although I was born in Canada and have never lived there. My American mother applied for it on my behalf. She did not become a Canadian citizen herself for many, many years because the USA didn't not at one time, permit dual citizenship (she had a "landed immigrant" (permanent residence) status since 1953. When the Americans changed their laws to permit Canadian citizenship, she applied. At that time, she'd been married to Canadian citizen for almost 50 years.)

In Canada you have to file the permanent residency application FIRST in order to stay beyond 5 months (otherwise you are illegal). While your application is in process, you are allowed to live here (it can take several years) but you CANNOT legally make any money in Canada until status is finally granted. My son-in-law is a permanent resident and hopes to apply for Canadian citizenship this year. (Her permanent resident status was granted because my daughter's spousal sponsorship was accepted) and my daughter worked for a Canadian immigration lawyer. It took him almost 4 years to be approved and earn the right to legally earn money here.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:40 PM
Nobility

Apparently the Obama's have released a statement denying that they even gave any advice to Harry and Meghan. It is extremely detailed and talks about the handful of times they have interacted with them. It ends by talking about their friendship with Will and Kate.

So, in the last two days Oprah and the Obama's have come out and distanced themselves for the Sussex duo. This does not bode well for the Sussex "brand"
Old 01-11-2020, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrs View Post
Personally I think it looks really bad that Meghan isn't there. I've wondered why she isn't there. Is she so worried about the media blow back in the UK to their announcement she can't even stay there? Afraid to meet with the other royals and hear from them directly? Busy lining up commercial opportunities?

As she and Harry don't seem to want an entirely private life does she not understand that public perception is important for their new role? Most of the criticism I've seen is not that they want to change their role but the way they've gone about it.

In the past, I've defended both of them but I'm very disappointed in them.
If she just doesn’t want to face them - this would be a terrible portent for the future in terms of her relationship with them. Is she going to stay home whenever Harry goes back to be with them? Someone said that she tends to flee - and that appears to be what she’s doing. That said, It’s possible also that she just doesn’t want to deal with the photographers at this time...

Closed Thread