The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I wasn't meaning you specifically...I don't even remember all the names. My point was ppl keep flipping back and forth.

H&M have not proven to be unreliable at all. They have not missed any engagements I'm aware of and still plan to continue to do engagements and their patronages per their official website.

LaRae
Or Different people have different ideas as to whether they are considered necessary or not. I thought that they were supposed to be backin the UK and going back to work.. instead, it seems as if they have left Arch in Canada and possibly Meg has gone back to be with him, while Harry discusses with his father...

Royal Highness

Quote:
I wasn't meaning you specifically...I don't even remember all the names. My point was ppl keep flipping back and forth.

H&M have not proven to be unreliable at all. They have not missed any engagements I'm aware of and still plan to continue to do engagements and their patronages per their official website.

LaRae
They’re important in the sense that it would be great to have them around, happy in their roles as supporting players to Harry’s grandmother, then his father and then his brother. Basically like Princess Anne - a hard worker who plays by the rules does what she’s asked and no more, and checks her ego at the door.
They will become less important as time goes on, and also in the sense that the BRF can get along fine without them if need be. Charles will be a workhorse until he dies. William and Catherine have been steadily becoming more prominent for several years now. Anne, Edward and Sophie have enough sense of duty that they’ll continue working, and possibly take even more on, if it’s needed and if they’re asked. Beatrice and Eugenie seem like good spirited and steady women who I think would be able to shake off any negative opinions people may have of them due to their parents if they started with small engagements and worked up. William’s children are already being appropriately exposed to royal life and should be active participants by the time they’re teenagers. Likely they won’t have the luxury of being private citizens until their mid 20s like their father and uncle had, and will be quite capable of balancing part time royal work with their university studies. All that is better than having Harry and Meghan stay around but be the source of new drama and friction every few months.

And in terms of Harry and Meghan being reliable, you’ve got to be joking. Harry talking about his relationship with his brother and Meghan talking about her seemingly never ending struggles just as William was going on an important foreign visit? Informing everyone they were taking what basically amounted to six weeks of stress leave and using that time to come up with and release a plan for them to step back that included no input from the BRF? Releasing the statement without informing his father or his grandmother and sovereign first? How is any of that reliable?

Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Where does the £2mill come from and he definitely has not been “given” the “job” as commonwealth Prince, certainly not by my definition anyway.
The Commonwealth focus was clearly a means for Harry and Meghan to carve a path of their own, while William and Catherine were focusing more on their preparations towards becoming the Prince and princess of Wales and eventually succeeding to the throne.

It was clear Harry did not want to become a 'workhorse' prince like the princess royal who is doing lots of the mundane royal stuff. For her younger brothers the family also tried to create their own niche. In Andrew's case it wasn't that successful with his international trade but it seems to be working relatively well for Edward with his focus on the Duke of Edinburgh awards. In addition, he and Sophie take on lots of other patronages and activities. So, the various steps taken to given Harry and Meghan a prominent role in the Commonwealth seemed to be a great way for them to do meaningful things not just in Britain but worldwide and have their own important part to play within the royal family.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I think her leaving the country, and him remaining here ALONE to cope with 'the fallout' is a particularly bad look, and one that is every bit as unfortunate for 'trust' as the perceived 'kick in the teeth' delivered to HMQ, the PoW & the DoC, when they went public with their 'plan' the other day..

None of it speaks of rationality, let alone unity of purpose.
That’s exactly what I thought. There’s a quote out there saying that Meghan tends to flee ...that does not speak well for her. Of course, leaving Archie in Canada so either or both of them could use him as an excuse to flee is a terrible optic as well.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Re Wyevale’s post #1329-I think this has merit. Loose cannon is a good description.
Harry & Meghan have done themselves no favors. The people who have always held a negative view feel justified. Many of those that were neutral or casual fans have soured on them. Their super fans are the only ones still wholeheartedly supporting the Sussexes.
I started out optimistic for this pairing as worker bees in the BRF. But I have lost respect for them in this sense as their words and actions in public life sent a mixed message---and self-interest seems to be tipping the balance away from altruism.
I'm talking only public personas because I don't know either of them.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The Commonwealth focus was clearly a means for Harry and Meghan to carve a path of their own, while William and Catherine were focusing more on their preparations towards becoming the Prince and princess of Wales and eventually succeeding to the throne.
Whilst they may have had a commonwealth focus, something they appeared passionate about which they have now abandoned. He is not a commonwealth Prince.

Quote:
It was clear Harry did not want to become a 'workhorse' prince like the princess royal who is doing lots of the mundane royal stuff.
My bolding, sorry to what do you refer to as mundane royal stuff? Do you mean day to day engagements, where members of the public and her royal patronages get to see a hard working royal who is representing her mother where possible? Sorry I don't see how any of that is mundane, or in your tone to be looked down upon.

In regards to him being a workhorse prince, that was what his life was always going to be about. He should be representing his grandmother, and in later years his father for years to come. He is a royal prince, and he's 35 and before all this nonsense he was highly over shadowed on the engagement front by his Aunt and Uncles.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:

There's this wonderful phrase in polish - only a cow doesn't change its mind. When new facts come to the public knowledge, it's completely normal to change one's opinion. People don't have to stay by that one thing they said two years ago, or even a week ago, they're allowed to change their mind.

As far as the unreliable part... To me, they did. Coming forward with this plan while they were asked to wait a bit until a solid plan will be in place is unreliable as hell. And before you'll yell at me that this is just tabloid gossip, if BP/CH/KP were ready for the Sussexes to come forward with their plan, EVERYTHING would already be in place. Meghan running away to Canada and leaving Harry to come up with a solution - unreliable. Once again making a mess out of a situation that could be resolved maybe not more quietly, but definitely in a calmer way - unreliable.

Not to mention, it might not be possible for them to continue with their royal duties - oh sorry, collaborating with HMQ - while they're being "financially independent" and making "professional income", depending on what kind of business activity they have in mind.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

Quote:

LaRae

They’re demanding to go from full time to part time. And they’re demanding it now. Immediately. That sounds unreliable to me. That’s not the job- the commitment- they took on. That wasn’t the plan. They’re not dependable really. The rest of the family was relying on them to be full time support. Nothing about the last few years suggests anything other than that was the expectation. I don’t buy Charles was planning on cutting Harry out. Things would have been handled much differently had that been the plan.

If this is what they want- so be it. Don’t stay FT if you’re going to be miserable. And probably making everyone around them miserable too no doubt.

But- while they may get some of what they want, losing 2 full time members, on top of Andrew, is undoubtedly causing more work and stress for everyone else. Who- it’s worth noting- is Harry’s own family. Just working this out must be a nightmare. Especially since they decided to make this all so very public before plans were finalized. Puts more pressure on them. I have more sympathy with those dealing with the fallout than the Sussexes.

I really didn’t have any issues with them until they did that interview where they complained about how hard their lives were and Harry acknowledged the problems with William. It came across as a sympathy ploy- and even more so now. Seems like a rather manipulative and calculated way to try and get public support before dropping their bombshell. And- truly no excuse for talking about private family matters publicly imo.

Besides which- then and now I have trouble getting overly sympathetic with 2 people complaining publicly when they have: a happy marriage, healthy child, money, nice homes, good health, friends, family, causes they clearly enjoy supporting, etc. They had stressful things (the press, etc) to deal with. So does everyone In their own lives.

Anyhow- now there’s this. The statement they released without telling anyone beforehand they were going to do it was just out of line. No one deserved that. Regardless of the leak. Who cares. You strategize and work with your family when making the announcement.

And them leaving Archie, and Meghan immediately leaving tells me they likely intended on announcing publicly before anything was finalized anyway. The leak seems to have worked out well for them. And that website wasn’t built in hours to make their public case. It took much more time.

Then- there’s the wish list/demands. No need to say ANYTHING until things are settled. Which clearly they were not. It’s a fascinatingly detailed and vague list all at the same time. And all it does is invite speculation because it is so vague. Also way out of line imo to go into all that before any agreement had been finalized.

I didn’t buy into Meghan is high maintenance/ difficult. I do now. They both come across as demanding, high maintenance and frankly exhausting imo just with the way this has been conducted. And that’s just the little bit we see publicly. I can only imagine behind the scenes.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Very few people are against them changing their direction in life although some wonder why they didn't express that desire 2 years ago. What people do worry about is them pursuing a career that looks very much like being 'private royals'.

I would expect that as long as there is a perceived threat they will indeed receive security. However, especially if they have no public function that might include severly limiting how they go about their lives and living in a different country unless agreed upon by all relevant parties is most likely not feasible if you still expect the British police to take care of your security.

It's very different when things like these are clear from the start and are executed in close cooperation with all involved - although I am sure there are still limits on what Constantijn & Laurentien can do in terms of career; even the Van Vollenhoven princes are expected to at least consider the impact of their actions on the royal family. Bernhard receives quite some criticism but I am pretty sure the royal family would not agree if he expected to be allowed to call the race circuit in Zandvoort 'The Van Oranje-Nassau Royal racing circuit' as he would be mixing business and his royal role.

In this case, they are just telling the BRF by publishing a website what their demands are, which includes complete freedom to pursue their own commercial interests AND free housing AND security AND occasional royal duties, including worldwide tours for the British government. So, imho not comparable to the Dutch situation at all.

It has been pointed out by several posters that Harry and Meghan's wish list is completely different in many ways from Prince Constantijn's or Princess Madeleine's situation, but, apparently, Duc et Pair was not following the discussion in depth. I won't go back to that topic to avoid repeating myself.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:

It was clear Harry did not want to become a 'workhorse' prince like the princess royal who is doing lots of the mundane royal stuff. For her younger brothers the family also tried to create their own niche. In Andrew's case it wasn't that successful with his international trade but it seems to be working relatively well for Edward with his focus on the Duke of Edinburgh awards. In addition, he and Sophie take on lots of other patronages and activities. So, the various steps taken to given Harry and Meghan a prominent role in the Commonwealth seemed to be a great way for them to do meaningful things not just in Britain but worldwide and have their own important part to play within the royal family.
It was a pretty plummy appointment.. I can't see how it can be said that they were not offered/ set up with the Commonwealth Role... Harry has said that he loves Africa, and would surely welcome chances to go there and work for people in Commonwealth coutnries there.. And I can't see why it wasn't a "good enough job" for them.. or why they didn't refuse it earlier.... if they did not like it...
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Harry gets £2million from the Duchy of cornwall and has been given the job as Commonwealth prince. How on earth is that "not being supported" or "kicked out". This was meant to be his full time role, and he is supported by his father so as to do that role. he was always intended to be a working royal, supporting his father, the queen and evetnaully William. If he didn't like the idea he should not have accepted the job.
I absolutely agree. It appears to me that Harry and Meghan are not satisfied with representing the BRF, the UK and the common Wealth Countries. If they were, then they would be happy traveling to the common wealth countries throughout the year and remaining in the UK as Seniors in the RF. Clearly they feel they are more important and therefore are not willing to settle as working Royals supporting the Crown. They want to be a Global Super Couple using their "brand" to support and promote causes independent of the UK, BRF, Common wealth, etc... That is a slippery slope and one I see them sliding down without brakes putting themselves, the BRF and the UK in precarious situations. They have already proven they have no intention of being reigned in or following the rules, so unless there are serious consequences laid out to them, I see this being a disaster.

I don't think Meghan has the slightest understanding of the family and institution
she married into, and I am not surprised she is trying to distance herself and her child as far from it as humanly possible. I think she wants out of the obligations and structure of it and has given Harry a ultimatum that either they live outside the UK and pursue their own life as their own "brand" or she is done. It may be he is doing everything he can to make her happy and trying to save his marriage. That is only my opinion.....who knows, but I really don't see this marriage going the long haul. I just don't.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
They’re important in the sense that it would be great to have them around, happy in their roles as supporting players to Harry’s grandmother, then his father and then his brother. Basically like Princess Anne - a hard worker who plays by the rules does what she’s asked and no more, and checks her ego at the door.
They will become less important as time goes on, and also in the sense that the BRF can get along fine without them if need be. Charles will be a workhorse until he dies. William and Catherine have been steadily becoming more prominent for several years now. Anne, Edward and Sophie have enough sense of duty that they’ll continue working, and possibly take even more on, if it’s needed and if they’re asked. Beatrice and Eugenie seem like good spirited and steady women who I think would be able to shake off any negative opinions people may have of them due to their parents if they started with small engagements and worked up. William’s children are already being appropriately exposed to royal life and should be active participants by the time they’re teenagers. Likely they won’t have the luxury of being private citizens until their mid 20s like their father and uncle had, and will be quite capable of balancing part time royal work with their university studies. All that is better than having Harry and Meghan stay around but be the source of new drama and friction every few months.

And in terms of Harry and Meghan being reliable, you’ve got to be joking. Harry talking about his relationship with his brother and Meghan talking about her seemingly never ending struggles just as William was going on an important foreign visit? Informing everyone they were taking what basically amounted to six weeks of stress leave and using that time to come up with and release a plan for them to step back that included no input from the BRF? Releasing the statement without informing his father or his grandmother and sovereign first? How is any of that reliable?

Aren't the BRF (Heads Together) supposed to be all about openly talking about mental health now and how ppl need to stop hiding their problems? William has been very front and center about this. Why should any of them now have a problem with The Sussexes talking publically about their struggles?

They family was not unaware of what The Sussexes wanted to do so to say they had no input is perhaps not accurate. We don't know what all had even been worked out prior to the release. It was clear from the BP statement that discussions were going on. They should of have waited and released statements together. There are several theories as to why they didn't (already hashed over several times here).

Still not seeing how they are unreliable. Are they missing engagements?

LaRae
Old 01-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Serene Highness

This is especially where the problem will lie - you can imagine when one day the Australian tour of King William is overlooked by Prince Harry launching the new Tesla. The problem is the same they had with the Duke of Windsor - that he could overshadow the King.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Whilst they may have had a commonwealth focus, something they appeared passionate about which they have now abandoned. He is not a commonwealth Prince.
Some are more literal than others in their use of words. Of course, he was still a British prince but with a clear Commonwealth focus. I assume that was what the poster who wrote it thought about.

Quote:
My bolding, sorry to what do you refer to as mundane royal stuff? Do you mean day to day engagements, where members of the public and her royal patronages get to see a hard working royal who is representing her mother where possible? Sorry I don't see how any of that is mundane, or in your tone to be looked down upon.
I don't think it is something to look down upon if someone is doing the hard work being involved with lots and lots of different organizations without receiving lots of praise or attention. I see that as commitment and a clear sense of duty (so the interpretation is yours); I personally think Anne is doing great! But it is also clear that that is not what the younger generation envisioned as how they wanted to go about royal life (neither William nor Harry); they wanted 'more involvement' in their causes - which is a natural progression imho.

Quote:
In regards to him being a workhorse prince, that was what his life was always going to be about. He should be representing his grandmother, and in later years his father for years to come. He is a royal prince, and he's 35 and before all this nonsense he was highly over shadowed on the engagement front by his Aunt and Uncles.
I am not so sure that just have large numbers of engagements (which is what I meant with 'workhorse prince') was what his life was going to be about. The fact that while full-time working royals both William and Harry have far fewer engagements than their father and aunt among other things because they are more involved with a smaller number of causes, was something I expected to continue. Again, imo a natural progression of royal work; slowly changing with the times/each generation.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It was a pretty plummy appointment.. I can't see how it can be said that they were not offered/ set up with the Commonwealth Role... Harry has said that he loves Africa, and would surely welcome chances to go there and work for people in Commonwealth coutnries there.. And I can't see why it wasn't a "good enough job" for them.. or why they didn't refuse it earlier.... if they did not like it...

I mentioned before that, when asked about that in the infamous ITV documentary, Harry said he considered relocating to Cape Town, but concluded it would have been problematic to do so given "all the problems going on right now there" (or something similar, I don't remember the exact words).

I suppose he was referring to issues in South Africa like violence/crime, or maybe he was concerned about infrastructure or schooling for Archie (even though the Western Cape has excellent British-style private schools). My perception, however, is that Canada was primarily Meghan's choice because it suits her perfectly. As I wrote in an exchange with Countessmeout (who is Canadian), Harry, in my opinion, would adjust better (culturally) to a place like Australia or South Africa than Canada, which is very North American, albeit with its own idiosyncrasies like Québec.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Nobility

I think this begins the end of the BRF! Not because of Harry and Meghan but because EII is a VERY weak head of family.

It seems that the British public wants swift action on this and they are not going to get it. EII has spent her entire life avoiding confrontation, hard decisions about family until it is too late and a lot of damage has been inflicted.

As a grandmother she is right to want to do what is best for Harry and keep him happy. But as the Head of the Firm, she needs to listen to her shareholders (British Public) and take action immediately.

As the hours tick by, it is becoming obvious that they are trying to find a solution where Harry and Meghan will leave with their titles, styles and public money paid security protection in multiple countries while doing only the BRF events they want and blatantly monetizing their titles.

It seems that there is already significant public demands that they be stripped of all titles and styles and no public funds be used on them. Having them swan the world on taxpayer funds will not go down well with the public (with the impending Brexit magnifying the situation). This will create significant backlash against the BRF and it might just be too late for them to do anything to quiet the discontent.
Nobility

Quote:
Aren't the BRF (Heads Together) supposed to be all about openly talking about mental health now and how ppl need to stop hiding their problems? William has been very front and center about this. Why should any of them now have a problem with The Sussexes talking publically about their struggles?

They family was not unaware of what The Sussexes wanted to do so to say they had no input is perhaps not accurate. We don't know what all had even been worked out prior to the release. It was clear from the BP statement that discussions were going on. They should of have waited and released statements together. There are several theories as to why they didn't (already hashed over several times here).

Still not seeing how they are unreliable. Are they missing engagements?

LaRae
I doubt the idea of Heads Together - or openly talking about mental health instead of hiding with their problems - is running to a paper or a tv station because you have issues with your brother. If you understood their message in that way, could you maybe explain which part of their activity told anything about airing your dirty laundry on a tv?

Missing engagements is not the only way people can prove unreliable. And you fully well know they do not, which is why you're using this example to prove your point. So, to answer this question - no, they're not missing any engagements.
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don't think it is something to look down upon if someone is doing the hard work being involved with lots and lots of different organizations without receiving lots of praise or attention. I see that as commitment and a clear sense of duty (so the interpretation is yours); I personally think Anne is doing great! But it is also clear that that is not what the younger generation envisioned as how they wanted to go about royal life (neither William nor Harry); they wanted 'more involvement' in their causes - which is a natural progression imho.
The definition of the word you chose to describe The Princess Royals work is "lacking interest or excitement; dull". You chose the word, not me.

In regards to the "more involvement", whilst I can't imagine that any royal is able to name all their patronages and the people who are linked to them. I can certainly imagine that Anne is heavily involved in public and behind the scenes. Case in point is her involvement in the Scottish Rugby Union, she attends every six nations match of there's when another engagement is not booked in advance, she shows commitment to former and previous players her message and presenting on an award to Doddie Weir last year is also proof of this. She doesn't just cut ribbons and walks away, which is my interpretation of what you're saying.

Quote:
The fact that while full-time working royals both William and Harry have far fewer engagements than their father and aunt among other things because they are more involved with a smaller number of causes, was something I expected to continue. Again, imo a natural progression of royal work; slowly changing with the times/each generation.
I, personally, and I believe others as well do not see William, Catherine, Henry nor Meghan as full time working royals. They are senior royals, but they simply do not do enough engagements to represent the crown. Whilst I imagine it will increase year on year, it should have increased faster than it has. The reason being is unknown, it's be thrown around that is because The Queen wanted her grandchildren to have time to be just that before stepping into royal life. They're all approaching 40 now, they've had time IMO.

Henry clearly didn't see this future for himself, however I disagree that this wasn't what the RF nor his father planned for him.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
As the hours tick by, it is becoming obvious that they are trying to find a solution where Harry and Meghan will leave with their titles, styles and public money paid security protection in multiple countries while doing only the BRF events they want and blatantly monetizing their titles.

It seems that there is already significant public demands that they be stripped of all titles and styles and no public funds be used on them. Having them swan the world on taxpayer funds will not go down well with the public (with the impending Brexit magnifying the situation). This will create significant backlash against the BRF and it might just be too late for them to do anything to quiet the discontent.
If Meghan and Harry will leave, free to do whatever they want, with everything they have now, not paying for Frogmore and still getting public money will be the first time in my life when I will be against the british monarchy. Sure, let's pay for the royal family, I don't mind at all. But pay for celebrities living in another country? Just no.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The prospect of Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty Magazine :

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...more-1.5420972

I think what I always think about Ms. Seward's texts: she is always defending her own position as the editor of Majesty-magazine. Self-serving lady.

There is a reason why Harry and Meghan left London and moved to a place under the noise carpet of Heathrow: to be mostly untraceable. Untraceable because they could leave their cottage on several private roads, on no given time, so it simply was not worth for paps to wait at some place for the whole day with noone showing up. It will be the same in the other home in North America. Plus they could use the whole gardens at Frogmore to walk undetected. There was a reason they picked this old and worndown house, even if they knew that they would be told on and on how much it cost the taxtpayer to modernize it (when in fact not much cost the tax payer anything, it was all their landlord the Crown Estate's money). And I don't think Meghan went shopping much, she had surely her wardrobe send to her from her friends, hence the amount it costs: they surely thought no need to save money for Meghan and she needed the things to use on Royal engagements.

I now hope it will work out for them, they use their time living quietly in Canada to work for their projects and in the Uk to be doing engagements for their charities and for the Royal family.

Closed Thread