The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
Well diplomats are usually very restricted in what they say publically since they represent the government so....our couple seems to actually be not really wanting that situation for themselves

They are not a duty first/personal comfort second kind of couple---and really don't have to be if they work out an arrangement with BP. When they pulled out a big ole cartoon-sized shotgun and aimed it at their feet earlier this week they made working out that arrangement very problematic.

God bless HM, PC and PW as they try to straighten out this mess.
Very true.
It might be foolish - but I feel let down, disappointed and somehat.... betrayed...?
All this ballyhoo of the wedding, televised to a world wide audience.....(I think a modest wedding on the scale of Anne´s 2nd one would have been much more appropriate - also from H and M´s point of view as they say they want as much privacy as possible).
This alone was a like a "promise" to stick around for decades to come, supporting the future Kings of the country.
Harry´s "new role" in the Commonwealth, the long awaited arrival back after 7 weeks and their 1st joint engagement at Canada House after that, giving the impression they wanted to make a fresh start as senior Royals...
In reality they knew it was just an interlude and the actress would fly back to Canada again the day after. It now feels like "take a bow" after the show is over...
This is all a sick, sad joke!

Old 01-11-2020, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Dominating press again today but the mood is shifting. After shock of the announcement and about how it was so unfair to the Queen. Comments have changed to. Well,fine. It is probably best anyway. They just don't fit what the monarchy needs to be. In fact it is all a bit. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I just wonder if this was the response Harry and Meghan was expecting? Or just a rather healthy acknowledgement that this was not working out and they didn't settle in well. I mean it would happen in the real world of work. They really are completely replaceable and in the end actually it seems people think well good. This wasn't working for any of us. I can see massive coverage over what they do next but after that first flush they just being let be and no one having much interest. Which I don't think will actually make them happy either. Kind of like Sarah Fergusion. Diana too if she had lived would now be largely forgotten. All very sad. And even without trying it seems the Windsor will win. Harry and Meghan were the architects of this and just never really got it. Sad.
If they expected a warm reception from the public and media after blindsiding the family, then H and M aren’t nearly as savvy as they think. Perhaps they didn’t care, though - they are enormously popular in the U.S., where Americans - for various reasons - think they can do no wrong. Personally what I’m hearing described sounds like an empty life - because they will essentially be separated (physically and emotionally) from his family - but maybe they need their egos fed, and if so, they’ll get that in the US (not sure about Canada)

Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

I'm an American and I have spoken with several other Americans and we are totally appalled at their behavior. Harry, as a prince of the royal blood, should have known better. Meghan is acting like she's being persecuted.

All the while, the 93-year-old grandmother who still works was blind-sided.

These are two incredibly self-centered people who, if they do continue on their path of being "just regular people", will soon find that life on the B-list is no bed of roses either.

JMH0
Old 01-11-2020, 08:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The prospect of Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty Magazine :

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...more-1.5420972

A member of the press, which makes money off reporting on the monarchy, is annoyed that their meal ticket doesn’t want to play anymore. How shocking that such a person would think treatment of H/M wasn’t all that bad. I’d be curious about what POC in the U.K. think about this.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I am surprised the family are supposed to be discussing this by telephone. I would have expected the family to sit down with the Queen and at least nut out a blue print that would suit all parties. The Queen, Charles, William and Harry all sitting around a conference table together.

I am also disappointed that Harry and Meghan have not given their roles as Duke and Duchess more time to develope despite the nasty press and bullying.
Even though Charles is wanting a slimmed down version of working royals that could still be some time away.
But I guess there is only so much bullying one can take. And that is very sad that it happens at all in this era of antibullying campaigns.
I agree with your opinion for they have not given enough time to their roles,
but honestly I believe they never will. If the palace is stupid enough to accept anything they proposed there is no control but a guarantee for trouble in the future for H&M have ever since proofed that they do not want to accept rules, tradition, duty.... Though a break is probably uninevitable when H&M are shown the limits and they cannot accept because they both seem to be very unmature at the moment psychologycally a sharp break will be better than a socalled compromise which will not work out in the near future.
I wonder how William thinks about all this. What the Sussex'proposed means a rival court and while W&K do their duty H&M do as they like, this must cause problems, because I am sure W&K do make some sacrifices though they are totally different.
And to be realistic even if Charles happens to get older than 100 H&M will remain a lifelong risky thing to the RF and especially W&K.
I'd love to see the Sussex' private int he countryside without any role&duty but this is hardly what they really want to live, it seems as if the want the glory without duty.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Royal Highness

To the Canadians on this board … any backlash at the possibility of Jessica Mulroney having "guided" her bff Meghan in this ill-fated endeavor? 'Just wondering.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I don't know what to think about all of this. On one hand, the theories that are being run in the newspapers and tabloids right now vary from weird to crazy, everyone has a source that says something completely different and it looks like there are two camps at war that are trying to push their agenda. On the other hand, there's Meghan and Harry's official website and even in their own words (well, not their own, but you know what I mean) this sounds like a mess - it's a fairytale and not well-thought proposition, it looks like a starting point in negotiations, not the ready product. There's the fact that it was published before coming to an agreement with BP. The conflict in the BRF that came out of nowhere last year - or was it even before that?

You don't have to read and belive tabloids to see it's a huge mess that was caused by Meghan and Harry publishing their plan way to soon. If it was all negotiated with HMQ, Prince Charles and Prince William, everything agreed upon, it would look completely different. And I don't believe the possible leak was enough reason to give this information for the public when the solution and compromise wasn't figured out yet.

I won't blame solely Meghan for that - the sacrifices she had to make coming to the UK and marrying into the BRF were not little or unimportant and the press she had to survive was awful - but this whole situation seems like a combination of both Meghan and Harry. Harry always wanted peace and quiet and if they were able to hike and walk with Archie in Canada for weeks without one picture taken, I can understand how he wouldn't even want to leave. Meghan (and I do want to say it's not a bad thing in general - just not really possible while being member of the BRF) was loud and outspoken and she wanted to have a voice, that was taken away from her basically the moment she had that ring on her finger. She's smart, she knows how this all work, she sees possibilities of collaboration that could be very profitable for their charity work, and also maybe for them, but they're not allowed to do that. So they are trying to come up with a plan that would not mean abandoning their duties as members of BRF but would give them more freedom in professional and private life. So yes, I do believe they want to have the cake and eat the cake, but I don't think it's coming from a bad place. Just as usually with this couple, the strategy they come up with is making a bigger mess than it should.
I very much agree with this assessment.

Charles as both the future head of this family and as Harry's father is surely looking for a solution that will not completely distance Harry and Meghan. It's always tricky when family and business are mixed because a fall-out in one area (if a normal employee would pull this trick, they would be fired without a doubt) also effects the other (further alienating your son is typically not what a father would want to happen). So, that makes it an enormous balancing act. Emotionally, they (Queen/PoW/DoC) might want to set the couple straight and show them who is in charge but strategically thinking about long-term implications, they will most likely rise above this petulant behavior and look for a solution that might help H&M find their footing (although they might be concerned about the next trick they might pull) and protect the monarchy the best they can.

Imho a wish that the BRF might be able to work on is the part of the couple wanting to spend part of the time in other parts of the world. It's something that Harry has done many times (especially over summer breaks), and requires extensive collaborations with relevant (government) parties but is something that could be worked out in some way most likely - while still being full members of the royal family and representing the queen etc. The part that doesn't seem to work is the 'earning a professional income'; this has always been an extremely risky business in royal families. The more business-like, the further away that person needs to be placed for royal workings (as both the British and for example the Norwegian royal family) know; especially if that 'business-part' can be perceived as profiting from royal status: as is clearly the case with the Sussex Royal-brand.

So, from my perspective,
if Harry and Meghan truly intend to remain part of the working BRF although in a more limited capacity, there is most likely room to work on the 'North America'-part but they will have to accept their position within that family and not operate as an independent unit - in that case they might even be send on foreign tours; as they are effectively still somewhat senior royals (depending on how the details are worked out); this is most likely the BRF's preferred option;
however, if the 'earning professional income' is a non-negotiable for them, I am afraid that the only reasonable solution will be to make a very clear distinction between them and the royal family/firm (still welcome at family functions (the same where other 'non-working' family members also appear) but nothing else) and put some clear measures in place to make sure that them profiting from their status and titles is limited as much as possible (like the Norwegian king tried to do with his daughter who first gave up her HRH and now is forbidden of using 'princess' in her business dealings).
Old 01-11-2020, 09:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
A member of the press, which makes money off reporting on the monarchy, is annoyed that their meal ticket doesn’t want to play anymore. How shocking that such a person would think treatment of H/M wasn’t all that bad. I’d be curious about what POC in the U.K. think about this.
As Prince Philip once said "Reporters are professional intruders. It's what they do, and you can't do nothing about it".
And i guess the "Meal ticket" is still eager to play the game, except it wants to impose its own rules.
Think about this.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

The meal ticket wants to ensure they are getting a share of the income
Old 01-11-2020, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Someone [on a radio phone-in] pertinently remarked that Meghan marrying into a role she couldn't cope with, but must've know its requirements] is akin to 'buying a house next to a Church, and complaining about Bells ringing..
Old 01-11-2020, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
There has been a lot written by Black British commentators on this. You can find it in some of the papers like the Guardian, Independent, and online sources too. Of course more of the "rota" papers and news orgs which are woefully lacking in diversity including the the BBC, refuse to entertain these views from Black and brown Britons except Trevor Philips of course. I can send you more links on private message since I don't want to get ding for bringing race up but here is one article that made it all the way to the NYT from Afua Hirsch who is a noted Black British commentator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/o...=tw-nytopinion

Quote:
The British press has succeeded in its apparent project of hounding Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, out of Britain. The part it perhaps didn’t bargain for, however, is the loss of Prince Harry — a much loved Royal and a key part of the family’s global brand — along with her.

Her treatment has proved what many of us have always known: No matter how beautiful you are, whom you marry, what palaces you occupy, charities you support, how faithful you are, how much money you accumulate or what good deeds you perform, in this society racism will still follow you.

In Britain’s rigid class society, there is still a deep correlation between privilege and race. The relatively few people of color — and even fewer if you count only those who have African heritage — who rise to prominent success and prosperity in Britain are often told we should be “grateful” or told to leave if we don’t like it here.
Another from HuffPo UK
https://consent.yahoo.com/collectCon...b&inline=false
Old 01-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The prospect of Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty Magazine :

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...more-1.5420972
There are a couple of things about Megxit that are genuinely confusing to me. I would appreciate the perspective of one of the zillion or so posters here that have more insight...more knowledge on this situation than MM23 does.

A) The charges of racism that many have posited as one of the main causes of the DoS's
unhappiness in England: I am all too aware of the blatant, crude bare knuckled racist attacks that are levelled at Meghan and even Archie on the Internet and in the gutter tabloids.
I read them and in some cases responded to them . I cannot abide or understand judgeing any human based on skin color. But what about the Big Picture...meaning the BRF itself, the wider British public, and the mainstream Press? For example,when the beautiful biracial Emma, Viscountess Weymouth married into the Thynn family, her groom's parents boycotted the wedding due to her race. Other than the controversial incident with Princess Michael's "blackamoor" pin i don't know if Meghan faced anything similar to Emma. On tours, walkabouts and engagements, Meghan seemed to be greeted with enthusiasm and even rapture by both black and white Britons. The London Times, the Evening Standard, the Independent...have never engaged in racism or bullying of Meghan....that I am aware of.

B) Family support...here is where it gets more confusing to me..I saw Meghan being walked down the aisle (happily, i have heard and read) by the PoW himself. I saw HMQ making exceptions to accommodate her before the wedding with the invitation to Sandringham. There was also the unforgettable photo of HMQ and the DoE after Archie was born. But i continue to read allegations that she did not feel truly supported in her husband's family, and in the words of Meghan herself no one asked if she was okay...

Again..I come in peace ...and sincere confusion. I have formed an understanding of what I THINK might be going on based on what I have read about the characters and personalities of this couple before they met, but I want to hear the perspectives of others before drawing a final conclusion.

Thanks in advance!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 AM
Royal Highness

Another perspective

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/pri...-tabloids.html

For every the Sussexes are spoiled brats story there will be racism, vicious British media and indifferent royal family played a part of "Sussexit" story. CNN has already did a race played a role story with Piers Morgan raging on Twitter the story was race baiting. Coming from him that's rich; he's led the charge on the attacks on Meghan. DM ran two stories with palace aides denying the Sussexes were going to be kicked out of the streamlined monarchy and Charles is talking to Harry to try to get the couple back into the fold. CH may realize this situation makes the royal house look bad. Dan Wooten from the Sun , the guy who leaked the story, allegedly has a in with KP, which explains the social media fingerpointing there. Harry was following the chain of command, the Sun was stupid and lobbed this grenadet for clicks so the Sussexes responded.

I hope the queen and Charles work this out with Harry and Meghan. I remember the queen's Christmas speech about the bumpy year and the small steps to going forward. All parties need to come in and talk, take ownership of their roles in this mess (I mean both sides, not a Sussex mea culpa with the Crown blameless) and work on healing.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 AM
Majesty

Excellent for the newspapers ,small inerest for it in Belgium.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
There is a lot we don’t know. I find it difficult to believe Charles wasn’t planning on including Harry. The RF is about to get much smaller naturally due to the ages of most members.
I kind of wonder if Charles didn't say we can only support 4 people, William, and his 3 children. We all know he wants to slimline it a little. Harry may have become upset and decided to leave before getting kicked out. It is easier to deal with a self-imposed exile than one thrust upon you.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can I just ask, perhaps Muhler in particular and other Danish posters, the Crown Princely couple have just gone to Switzerland for a couple of months (not 100% on how long) for their children’s education. Frederik is performing engagements in relation to his IOC role I understand.

How has that gone down in Denmark? I know January is a quiet time, and of course they’re going to come back but this is the Crown Princely family we’re talking about living in another country for a few months.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
There are a couple of things about Megxit that are genuinely confusing to me. I would appreciate the perspective of one of the zillion or so posters here that have more insight...more knowledge on this situation than MM23 does.

A) The charges of racism that many have posited as one of the main causes of the DoS's inhappiness in England: I am all too aware of the blatant, crude bare knuckled racist attacks that are levelled at Meghan and even Archie on the Internet and in the gutter tabloids.
I read them and in some cases responded to them . I cannot abide or understand judgeing any human based on skin color. But what a out the Big Picture...meaning the BRF itself, the wider British public, and the mainstream Press? For example,when the beautiful biracial Emma, Viscountess Weymouth married into the Thynn family, her groom's parents boycotted the wedding due to her race. Other than the controversial incident with Princess Michael's "blackamoor" pin i don't know if Meghan faced anything similar to Emma. On tours, walkabouts and engagements, Meghan seemed to be greeted with enthusiasm and even rapture by both black and white Britons. The London Times, the Evening Standard, the Independent...have never engaged in racism or bullying of Meghan....that I am aware of.

B) Family support...here is where it gets more confusing to me..I saw Meghan being walked down the aisle (happily, i have heard and read) by the PoW himself. I saw HMQ making exceptions to accommodate her before the wedding with the invitation to Sandringham. There was also the unforgettable photo of HMQ and the DoE after Archie was born. But i continue to read allegations that she did not feel truly supported in her husband's family, and in the words of Meghan herself no one asked if she was okay...

Again..I come in peace ...and sincere confusion. I have formed an understanding of what I THINK might be going on based on what I have read about the characters and personalities of this couple before they met, but I want to hear the perspectives of others before drawing a final conclusion.

Thanks in advance!
Edited: in the interest of not getting in trouble, I will just message you.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Only my speculation, but I think it wasn't about lack of support, but the "wrong" kind of support. I'm guessing when she tried to work out a solution she just heard "I know it's though but keep working/ignore the press/they'll shut up eventually" - and the never complain, never explain motto or the stiff upper lip doesn't really fit Meghan's personality. So some advice, given her with the best intention at heart, could feel to her as lack of support.

As far as the "no one asked if she was okay" part - that's like #1 complaint from all of my friends who became mothers recently. Everyone asks about the baby, forgetting all about the mom. So in a few hours you go from being pregnant and everyone interested in how you feel to being a mom to a small human, who gets all the attention. I wonder if this didn't play a part in that.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
I kind of wonder if Charles didn't say we can only support 4 people, William, and his 3 children. We all know he wants to slimline it a little. Harry may have become upset and decided to leave before getting kicked out. It is easier to deal with a self-imposed exile than one thrust upon you.
This is completely inconsistent with what the BRF has done over the last 2 years: especially the prominent role they were given regarding the Commonwealth and the queen handing over charities to Meghan. They would certainly not have done that if Charles' aim had all along been to remove Harry and Meghan from active royal duty.

Moreover, when talking about 'supporting' people. I am quite sure they count the number of adults. The children are included with their parents. Once Charles becomes king, he doesn't have to support William, as William will become the recipient of his current Cornwall duchy money. Charles would surely have sufficient money to support his only remaining son (and probably 2 of his siblings); given that the queen was able to support her cousins and her 3 remaining children from that budget.

Everything points to Charles wanting Harry & Meghan as part of the 'active' royal family. Archie -like Beatrice and Eugenie and Louise and James- was most likely never expected to take on royal duties.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don’t think Meghan doing a voiceover/narrator performance for say a documentary in exchange for a charitable contribution would be frowned upon or be unethical.
But if other monies exchanged hands it could be problematic... for a fulltime working royal.
I agree entirely. But, given that they’re always looking for positive press and pats on the back and this charity is certainly much worth their time and attention, it seems odd to me that it was kept so quiet and only emerged in the middle of the chaos. If the work hadn’t yet been performed then sure, keep it quiet. But by the sounds of things it’s all but ready to release. It just seems very odd, once again, the way it’s been gone about.

Closed Thread