The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1021  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:14 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Checking the comments on their announcement on their Insta and I am actually amazed by how the tides seem to have turned against them so fast. When they first posted it, the comments were mostly positive. Now the comments with the most likes are the ones chastising them for the move. The words most repeated seem to be "financial independence"--they are mocked either for the vagueness of language or the hypocrisy of the idea or both.
No doubt this media storm has created a lot of drama but honestly their IG has always had vicious trolls who overtake the comments after a few hours. I wouldn't really be surprised. That was the main issue why they issued that new guidelines. Look under any of their posts and it is always the same ole. I mean even the ones announcing their son's birth.
__________________

  #1022  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Oprah has already been asked on her tour and she denied the story. This came from Page 6 in the US. It is basically the gossip section and they clearly trying to stir the pot for some clicks. They also asked Serena who refused to comment. They just going after all the high profile people they know.
Yes, as you point out Oprah Winfrey has denied the rumor:

https://people.com/royals/oprah-winf...-prince-harry/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Thank you! I think the Americans who don’t “get” the monarchy just see the royals as celebrities on the level of movie stars - perhaps because of Grace Kelly. I think those of us who do “get it” probably are also history lovers and have read about the monarchy as part of British history..
You hit the nail right on the head. The average American views royals as just another kind of celebrity - like a movie star or rock musician or (gasp) the Kardashians.

I remember - years ago - a coworker telling me how much she preferred Sarah over Diana because Sarah was "fun" and "acted just like one of us" while Diana was much more dignified in public.

The fact that members of the BRF aren't supposed to act like one of us completely escaped her.
__________________

  #1023  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 746
I think it's very sad that they've damaged their relationship with the rest of the family. I hope Prince Philip is here to enjoy several more Christmases yet, and to get to know Archie, but he's looking pretty frail now. Most people would be wanting to spend time with their grandfather whilst they still had the chance. And Meghan's dad's never even met Harry or Archie. They may not get chance to mend these rifts, and then they may regret them.
  #1024  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
You hit the hammer right on the head. The average American views royals as just another kind of celebrity - like a movie star or rock musician or (gasp) the Kardashians.

I remember - years ago - a coworker telling me how much she preferred Sarah over Diana because Sarah was "fun" and "acted just like one of us" while Diana was much more dignified in public.

The fact that members of the BRF aren't supposed to act like one of us completely escaped her.
Hence why so many American newspapers are hailing Harry and Meghan for their desire for freedom. I guess it goes back to Americans loathing the idea of a monarchy - see 1776 and thereabouts.
  #1025  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
I begin to think 'the Lady' planned this all along.. [...]
  #1026  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Hence why so many American newspapers are hailing Harry and Meghan for their desire for freedom. I guess it goes back to Americans loathing the idea of a monarchy - see 1776 and thereabouts.
The counter-argument that should be made is that this not about two people trying to gain their freedom from an oppressive patriarchal ( or, in this case, matriarchal ) structure, but rather two employees going rogue and refusing to follow the chain of command of the corporation they work for.

Americans are free to choose who they work for , but, when they are unhappy with their job, they quit and move on to do something else. Dictating terms and imposing on the organization that employs them for their own personal gain is not acceptable behavior in American culture or, at least, I don’t think it is.
  #1027  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Hence why so many American newspapers are hailing Harry and Meghan for their desire for freedom. I guess it goes back to Americans loathing the idea of a monarchy - see 1776 and thereabouts.
Yes, I agree, I think Americans tend to value individual freedom over duty. A lot of Americans saw Diana as an underdog trapped by a stifling institution.
  #1028  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The counter-argument that should be made is that this not about two people trying to gain their freedom from an oppressive patriarchal ( or, in this case, matriarchal ) structure, but rather two employees going rogue and refusing to follow the chain of command of the corporation they work for.

Americans are free to choose who they work for , but, when they are unhappy with their job, they quit and move on to do something else. Dictating terms and imposing on the organization that employs them for their own personal gain is not acceptable behavior in American culture or, at least, I don’t think it is.
This is the perfect counter-argument.
  #1029  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I begin to think 'the Lady' planned this all along..
Whatever the plan was or was not, the damage is considerable. There is now a seemingly irreparable rift between Harry and the Cambridges ( who used to be very close to him) and Harry, who was an asset to the Institution, is now gone and may even turn into a liability if his and Meghan’s free agent projects end up somehow putting the Crown or the royal brand in an embarrassing or difficult position. There is also the possibility that Harry and Meghan may keep fueling a feud with the Windsors in the surrogate press until they get exactly what they want or even beyond that.

That is why I think Charles wants a reconciliation as soon as possible. He lived through the Diana years, realizes he is not exactly very popular and sees the potential for future damage if that is not contained.
  #1030  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The counter-argument that should be made is that this not about two people trying to gain their freedom from an oppressive patriarchal ( or, in this case, matriarchal ) structure, but rather two employees going rogue and refusing to follow the chain of command of the corporation they work for.

Americans are free to choose who they work for , but, when they are unhappy with their job, they quit and move on to do something else. Dictating terms and imposing on the organization that employs them for their own personal gain is not acceptable behavior in American culture or, at least, I don’t think it is.
Oh I agree completely, but based on Twitter (which is all I can go by), Americans are not looking at it that way. The U.S. newspapers (from what I’ve seen) and Americans think Harry and Meghan have been shackled to a fusty, musty, ridiculous institution. I refuse to read anymore comments or any newspapers, therefore.
  #1031  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is why I think Charles wants a reconciliation as soon as possible. He lived through the Diana years, realizes he is not exactly very popular and sees the potential for future damage if that is not contained.
Except that the Sussexes are not against Charles personnaly, unlike Diana (and why would they ? Charles has been more than gracious with Meghan), they are obviously against the limitations of the Monarchy as institution.
It would be absolutely crass to them to throw Charles under the bus to obtain what they want ( some part of the deal concerning revenues from Charles btw).
  #1032  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, I agree, I think Americans tend to value individual freedom over duty. A lot of Americans saw Diana as an underdog trapped by a stifling institution.
Yes, this ...agree completely
  #1033  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Except that the Sussexes are not against Charles personnaly, unlike Diana (and why would they ? Charles has been more than gracious with Meghan), they are obviously against the limitations of the Monarchy as institution.
It would absolutely crass to them to throw Charles under the bus to obtain what they want ( some part of the deal concerning revenues from Charles btw).
The logic is that Charles will be the head of the monarchy and, to some extent, may even be already partially in charge. Any future attack on the monarchy for not treating them the way they think they deserve to be treated is therefore an attack now on the Queen and, in the future, on Charles. Likewise , any embarrassing action they make take as free agents ( either political or financial ) that may hurt the image of the monarchy ultimately hurts now the Queen and, eventually, Charles.

In other words, they have proven to be loose canons, so letting them go rogue is unwise., as it was with Diana following her divorce.
  #1034  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:23 PM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 387
A not insignificant number of people have said since shortly after the engagement that Meghan and Harry would marry, Meghan would have a baby very quickly, and shortly thereafter, Meghan would leave the Royal Family and return to a social media-based brand.

These people were branded as "trolls," "Daily Mail commenters," people who were bigots just opposed to having an accomplished woman of color in the royal family, bitter, and jealous. In turn, they contended that they were, in fact, simply the ones who had taken the time to find out about Meghan and her past beyond what she herself and her friends had presented to the media. They invited anyone to do the same digging and suggested anyone who did would come to the same conclusions they had about the longterm plan here.

Funny who turned out to be dead right.
  #1035  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,799
Obviously they have the time to update their account and post pictures there from their visit to the Hubb kitchen presenting themselves as working royals, they've got nerve, really.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-days-ago.html


First picture of HM since the Sussex bombshell: clearly not amused!

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/01...8672325853.jpg
  #1036  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:27 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
A not insignificant number of people have said since shortly after the engagement that Meghan and Harry would marry, Meghan would have a baby very quickly, and shortly thereafter, Meghan would leave the Royal Family and return to a social media-based brand.

These people were branded as "trolls," "Daily Mail commenters," people who were bigots just opposed to having an accomplished woman of color in the royal family, bitter, and jealous. In turn, they contended that they were, in fact, simply the ones who had taken the time to find out about Meghan and her past beyond what she herself and her friends had presented to the media. They invited anyone to do the same digging and suggested anyone who did would come to the same conclusions they had about the longterm plan here.

Funny who turned out to be dead right.
Bingo. I think what we're seeing now is quite a lot of vindication for those who did not have a good feeling about this from the start. And the truth is, many of us who didn't have a good feeling about this from the start really, really wanted to like her and truly hoped we were wrong. We truly hoped that our sense of all of this was just off and the vast majority of us truly had zero racist, classist, other-ism, mentalities about it. We simply saw her for what she was behind the facade that was being offered up by the anonymous friends speaking to People, the Oprah's and Amal's who suddenly became bosom buddies, etc. And sadly, our suspicions about the future plans have been confirmed.
  #1037  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:44 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Here's an interesting breakdown of some of the costs that are associated with the Sussexes, and which will now be under review. Apparently some of the figures given on the Sussex site may not be totally accurate:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...nces-qb0j3pgj8

Here's another:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...revealed-just/
The Telegraph article was very interesting.

They seem to have a number of articles making counterpoints to several Sussex claims/POV. I wish I could read more than the first paragraphs.


By a journalist who has a white mother and black father--

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ndation-widget

It is absurd to blame the Harry and Meghan fiasco on 'British racism'

"...It is true that Meghan has suffered racist remarks on internet platforms. And, no doubt, a very small minority of genuinely prejudiced Britons will dislike the Duchess simply because of the colour of her skin. But the suggestion that the public at large is instinctively hostile to the couple because a dingy, residual bigotry claws at the inner depths of the British zeitgest is absurd. So too the idea that the country's press is institutionally prejudiced, peppering their copy with double-entendres that Meghan is ‘unsuitable’ for the Royal Family, and doesn't 'fit in'. ..."
  #1038  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,799
Meghan flew all the way from Canada, without her son, only to have a great entrance at Canada House and at Hubb Kitchen, only to return straight away after dropping the mexit bombshell. That alone says a lot about her and the attention she craves.
  #1039  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I begin to think 'the Lady' planned this all along.. [...]
Can’t say I disagree. I never heard of her before the engagement but as others who followed her have said she wanted to “expand her brand”. Boy oh boy, after getting “Sussex” on her resume up until today, impatience comes to mind. That’s one thing - the issue I can’t wrap my head around is Harry doing this so coldly to his grandmother.
  #1040  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,540
Please note that comments suggesting that the Duchess of Sussex is a narcissist have been edited/deleted. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a psychologically abusive and potentially dangerous personality trait. Accordingly, as with other unverifiable health issues we cannot allow such discussion. Thank you.
__________________

__________________
JACK
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020 Dman The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1150 09-06-2020 08:30 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism british royal family british royals cht commonwealth countries countess of snowdon cover-up customs daisy doge of venice dutch royal family emperor family tree games gustaf vi adolf haakon vii history house of windsor interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg maxima nepal nepalese royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth queen consort queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress settings spain speech startling new evidence stuart swedish queen taiwan thailand tradition united kingdom videos von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×