Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1214992449577398273

Might help explain about the money.
It actually doesn't explain the 95% of the money - which, as stated in their own website, comes from the Duchy of Cornwall. And there's no word about "becoming independent" from the Duchy, they're talking just about The Sovereign Grant.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I don’t think any of this came as shock to queen of Charles. I think they had the full suppport. I can see Charles wanting his son and daughter in law to enjoy the freedom and spread their wings when they still have the time. When Charles is king and even William until George and his siblings are much older Harry will likely need to step back up. Unless the York’s are invited to become working royals as William will need support.
I don't think the way they have chosen to do this will endear them to the British public--even if Charles needs Harry, I don't think they will be welcomed back. I think they are burning bridges more than they realize.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They have put up a Funding Page on their website which frankly makes things even more confusing.

Quote:
More here on Sussex Royal website. They want to be financially independent from the Sovereign Grant but say they will still use Frogmore Cottage and carry out official overseas visits paid for by the Sovereign Grant so that part is a little confusing.
https://sussexroyal.com/funding/

This part of the website intrigues me;

Quote:
Do any other members of the Royal Family hold a title and earn an income?
Yes, there is precedent for this structure and applies to other current members of the Royal Family who support the monarch and also have full time jobs external to their commitment to the monarchy.
Does anyone know which senior member of the royal family they are referring to?

According to that funding page, they will retain their titles, they will continue to work on behalf of The Queen and during that work they will receive taxpayer funded security. No answer as to who will pay for their security when they undoubtedly fly to the USA and promote The Sussex Foundation on Oprah...

They really are, attempting badly, to have the best of both worlds. It's absolutely ridiculous, and embarrassing.

If they want "that" life, then give up this one. To keep their titles, the security, the benefits and still want the peace, quiet and the life that Vancouver Island offered them, it's just not going to happen. What was the point of handing over patronages, applying for British Citizenship, marrying a british royal, for you to turn around and want none of it? I've said this since they married, I know Henry has spoken of his lack of desire to be a part of the British Royal Family before Meghan so it's simple. Leave.

They can do so much for the British Royal Family, and they were doing so last year, I gave them some time to settle in and find their feet and by the end of the year they were both, as a couple getting there.

I would be absolutely fine with this announcement, if they'd given up their titles at the same time.
Administrator

My main comment at the moment is that I wish that the details and the planning of the proposal to step back from being senior royals had been put firmly in place before the announcement was made - now we have a million questions that are yet to be answered.

I do wish them the best of luck for the future. I am not overly concerned or alarmed at the news - in some ways it makes sense especially given that other royal families allow their members outside the "core members" to pursue avenues beyond royal duties and often abroad.

The Sussex's will clearly still attend major royal events and family events and presumably will attend engagements in the UK and abroad as fitting to their charitable ventures.
Serene Highness

This is all shocking but I am not surprised. But what is this? Do they keep their titles? Their home that is technically on a publically owned estate. Do they get publicly paid security. And in all honesty, apart form his not insubstantial inheritance from his mother, Harry has no money of his own, his is under educated aside from having the best schooling money can buy, and all he has to do now to get things done is to say he is interested in things. People only support him because he is royal. No matter how much charisma he has. The money he inherited will not sustain his lifestyle more than about half a decade. Who will exactly support him with his charities? If they wanted to step back from public life altogether, go back into the army, even Meghan to pick up bits of acting work. That would be different. But they want to keep a super high public image. Found their own charities but just not be royal. That is entirely different. How is this going to stop the media frenzy or its toxicity except for the fact that if they are not royal they will be forgotten about eventually. How is that going to be for the charities. That is the dilemma of royal lives
No freedom. Do great things for the lives of others and you have everything money could want.

Basically trying to be his mother but her scenario was different. It is very worrying and I am.sure his family are upset.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

I'm all for a wait and see with this whole #Sussexit thing.

I just truly hope they don't go the celebrity route and that they find their stride soon.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
It actually doesn't explain the 95% of the money - which, as stated in their own website, comes from the Duchy of Cornwall. And there's no word about "becoming independent" from the Duchy, they're talking just about The Sovereign Grant.

That would be up to his father and whatever they work out with him. He funds the households of his children as I understand it.

LaRae
Old 01-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Would this be somewhat akin to the situation of Princess Madeleine of Sweden?
Somewhat in that she is also fulfilling a minor royal role and moved abroad. However, Chris actively tries NOT to work of a title and Madeleine is mainly focused on her family and some World Childhood-work as part of her mother's work. She did not create her own brand outside of that of the SRF and intended to work on that. She is of course a princess of Sweden but is not actively using that for her own gain it seems.
Serene Highness

Wow. The Queens and Dukes son and Older grandchildren are certainly not making their last years peaceful and stress free are they?
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Just saw the news on CNN. I am shocked.
Have they now become completely....nuts?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Majesty

If they are putting up a "funding page".. I don't see this as ending well...
Old 01-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Considering the events of the past year this announcement is not entirely out of the blue - the Africa documentary showed a couple struggling from outside media pressures and the pressure of the role.

What will be interesting is how they "divide" their time - Archie is still very young and this will work until he reaches school age. Thats when I feel the bigger decision will be made - then the couple will face the decision of where to send him to school - Overseas or UK.

Part of me hopes that this will be a temporary "stepping away from senior royal status" because I look at the future of the monarchy and the increasing age of many of the working royals and see that without Harry and Meghan being full working royals then William and Kate will either have to increase their duties or the people will have to expect to less less active royals.

Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I cannot imagine that Harry's father, grandparents or brother are very happy with him right now.

I can't help but think Harry and Meghan are getting advice from the wrong people. I really don't see how this is going to go well.

I've watched the BRF for decades--this is pretty shocking. Things seemed to be going well directly before the wedding and for several months after. Where did things go sour--I think whatever all this is, is what caused the friction between the brothers, not any of the stories that were floating around before,
Their announcement sounded very pretentious to me. First of all, they talk about “ carving out a new progressive role within the institution”, as if it was up to them to define how the institution ( I assume, the RF) is to behave. They are also implying that, if their “ new role “ is to be progressive, then their old role or what the other royals do is reactionary , which is a very aggressive comment.

Then they self-identify as “ senior royals”. Even though that may be true in practice, Harry is 6th in line, not in direct line to throne and, as of now, not even a sovereign’s son, but rather only a grandson. He is not more senior then than his uncles and much less his brother, although he might think otherwise and imagine that he can go on as a free agent operating independently of Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kesington Palace while still claiming to be an official representative of the Queen.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is crazy. I can’t think of anyone so high up in the royal hierarchy ( other than King Edward VIII of course) renouncing his/her title in recent times and, when it happens, it is because of some serious external factor.

I hope that, one day, what really happened behind the scenes is fully clarified and revealed.
The queen's son was kind of ousted less than 2 months ago.

Now, it's the heir's son doing something similar (but it seems more like their own decision and not 'required' by the family). Harry did not give up his title (at least so far); just the duties that come with being the heir's son...
Old 01-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Best solution for everyone involved i guess.
They were clearly not happy with the current system, so they decided to step back (even if i wonder how it will work in reality with the income from the Duchy of Cornwall , HRH titles etc ...).
The Crown isn't a fairy tale, it's a strong, difficult, selfish and ungrateful beast. And if you're not ready to make strong personnal sacrifices, well, like any other firm if you don't agree with the rules, well just quit.
Good luck to them, as i suspect the future will not be smooth sailing either ...
What has "the crown" to do with this? Public opinion and the all time evil media is to blame here!
Still I am relieved and happy that the PoW´s eldest son and Catherine are not that selfish and self-centered!
HM must be terribly disappointed of this beloved grandson...
Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Apparently Buckingham Palace was unprepared for this and that’s really not a good sign that this was well considered

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...954339328?s=20
Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Apparently Buckingham Palace was unprepared for this and that’s really not a good sign that this was well considered

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...954339328?s=20
Yet again, they've jumped the gun before consulting the people who actually have the most knowledge about these things. Stupidity at its finest.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

It’s difficult to put a positive spin on this news as regards how it will affect the British Royal Family as a whole over the next few years. The family certainly doesn’t need this upheaval and scrutiny in the light of recent events. I also feel sorry for William whose burden of responsibility has just got much heavier. I hope that things will turn out fine,but right now I feel sad that a couple who we all hoped would bring so many positive qualities to the royal family, are now embarking on a very exposed and potentially damaging course of events.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The queen's son was kind of ousted less than 2 months ago.

Now, it's the heir's son doing something similar (but it seems more like their own decision and not 'required' by the family). Harry did not give up his title (at least so far); just the duties that come with being the heir's son...
But Andrew did not go willingly. He only gave up his royal work because it was clear that most charities were dropping him.. Harry is not in thtat unfortunate positon so it is very odd that he is "givng up much of the duties that come with being a working royal..."
Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

When you see all the FAQS on their website it's pretty obvious the decision was not rushed but well planned in advance and in concertation with the Queen and the POW.

Closed Thread