The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which begs the question: was it an impulsive decision by the Duke and Duchess which they took without thinking it through and consulting anyone else ? Or were they somehow forced/ invited to leave like Edward/ Wallis, Andrew or Diana because their relationship with the Cambridges or whoever completely broke down ? Or was it something in between ?

I am not pointing fingers at X, Y orZ, just trying to understand what really happened.
Seeing the BP statement, I'd say it's all Harry and Meghan. BP sounds caught off guard and not prepared :eek:

As senior royals they are required to perform certain duties and prevented from performing others, which is very restrictive and obviously not the way they intend to proceed. They asked for independence in this aspect of their work and were refused, so this is not unexpected.

What duties were those and when was that independence refused?

Their statement to continue their work on behalf of The Queen and the Royal Family seems to suggest they don't have an issue with their duties.

So should the Dukes of Sussex play a role similar to Princess Beatrice and Eugenie?
I understand that they want to carry out their own projects and have a freer life.
I am glad the Dukes of Sussex continue to support the Queen.

How is she goig to combine raising money with the charity work? They will need a lot of money esp if hey are going to give up what they get from P Charles...

So should the Dukes of Sussex play a role similar to Princess Beatrice and Eugenie?
I understand that they want to carry out their own projects and have a freer life.
I am glad the Dukes of Sussex continue to support the Queen.
Real support would be step back in line and do your duty! I am also wondering if being Youth ambassador of the Commonwealth can be performed properly as a "minor Royal"...?!

The more I read the more it seems to me that maybe there were some talks before their break about walking away. Maybe that is why they were granted support of their long break because the family thought they would come back and be over the desire to leave?

Clearly not.

Did the BRF just get blindsided by Harry and Meghan? It seems like they were.

The sheer naivety of their 'plan' [as announced] is astounding..

Do they really imagine a 'semi-detached' role is acceptable [to the British Public] ? Do they think setting up a funding page' is considered appropriate for a 'Prince of the Realm'. especially one 'perceived' [rightly or wrongly] as flitting off on foreign holidays [in contradiction of his espoused views] ?

I've said before that one of the favourite [and most disreputable] traits in our National character is putting people on Pedestals, then taking immense pleasure in knocking them off that Pedestal.

This is what will happen to the Sussexes now, led by a vengeful Press - who will NEVER let go of them for this, no matter where they go..

Last edited:
No - it seems like they're keeping the titles, but losing the money and gaining free will to do whatever they want, however they want, wherever they want.

That seems to be what they want. BP thinks things are rather complicated; so, they won't necessarily get what they want.

Nonetheless, they write on their own website:
Their roles will continue to reflect their sense of duty and allegiance to The Monarch and her legacy in the world, as they transition into the new working model. As they move to become members of the Royal Family, with financial independence, their commitment to The Monarch is resolute, and they aim to continue to fly the flag for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, as called upon.

I would think that the Queen and the institution would need to be on board with this 'new working model'; which they clearly aren't. Because, the important question will be: where will their new financial independence come from? Who is going to fund them and so whose interests do they need to take into account? The travel industry (per Harry's Travalyst) etc?

Last edited:
This is...wow. Not quite what I was expecting to read here today. I wish nothing but good things for all of the Sussexes, but I'm sure people had to think something like this was coming down the pike when they wanted their son styled as plain Archie Mountbatten-Windsor instead of Lord Archie or Prince Archie, whatever else it was he was entitled to as the son of a royal duke.

The way Meghan has been treated by people since she started dating him...she's been treated worse than garbage. If this decision was made because Harry was sick of it, well, I don't blame him. While on some level I think any woman he married would cop a fair bit of stick from the media/Internet, the level of hatred thrown at Meghan was really out of line, certainly far worse than Catherine had to deal with.

A while ago there was some speculation about P.William and P.Harry growing apart, I wonder if this decision that H&M have now made, was what was discussed within the RF at the time..?
Even if P.William would have ever wanted out of 'The Firm' himself, he has even less chance to do so now (I think that would leave the D.o.York as next in line? Not a viable option at this point I think).

For H&M themselves this is probably for the best and there are several precedents in other RF's, but I can imagine HM and the D.o.Wales might still be a bit disappointed about it...especially HM who has always been very steadfast in her duty to the Firm..

just my 2cts ofcourse

William has never shown any interest in not being king.

This doesn’t change the line of succession. Harry has not removed him or Archie from the line of succession. He simply a junior royal like the York girls are now. And like the Yorks he is still in line.

If William chose to abdicate, why would Andrew be next?? Even if Harry has removed himself, Williams kids come next. His abdication would not affect George or the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it sounds they will make a living as royal celebrities, picking and choosing what suits best, making money out of title and position. Having your cake and eat it too has rarely ended well

Having your cake and eating it was my first reaction too. Using titles etc always seems to become mired in some controversy. Lots have mentioned the Dutch Royals as an example of dipping in and out but as far as I know, they appear have “proper” jobs, rather than falling back on ‘charity’ work because that’s all they can do. I’ll guess we’ll wait and see.

So basically they are just saying get lost to everyone into the BRF BUT claming they still want to be somewhat part of the team and receive Daddy's money ?

Hallucinating :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm afraid that is how it seems. What a mess.

Who on earth is running their PR/legal? a real question because I don't know.

BP official statement.

Clearly everyone trying to figure out what this all means now.

Quite honestly ,it looks like they are saying that they will do as they please as independent free agents, but still want to be seen as official representatives of the Royal Family while doing so. As I said that is extremely pretentious. If Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother were alive, they would have been given the cold shoulder immediately.

Last edited:
Beatrice and Eugenie are not receiving any money from Duchy or the crown. So they have zero obligations to the public! We saw what happened to Eugenie wedding when people learned about the cost incurred by public for security.

H&M can't expect to take money from then Duchy and call themselves financially independent.

Maybe they need to get exactly what they ask for To come back to reality : Be Free! Be Financially independent! Support the Queen! Ok, let’s go that

No Royal money so find jobs. no option as to do Royal duties or not because your title gone and Support the Queen sitting on your couch in front of the TV Like the common British citizen

Be careful what you for Sussex’s...

It’s difficult to put a positive spin on this news as regards how it will affect the British Royal Family as a whole over the next few years. The family certainly doesn’t need this upheaval and scrutiny in the light of recent events. I also feel sorry for William whose burden of responsibility has just got much heavier. I hope that things will turn out fine,but right now I feel sad that a couple who we all hoped would bring so many positive qualities to the royal family, are now embarking on a very exposed and potentially damaging course of events.

Well said.

I feel sorry for William.

Neither I believe. I believe giving up their work as senior royals gives them the freedom to do this on their own terms. Meaning they'll still support the patronages they have and still support certain charities with their foundation and they're still a part of the BRF. I'm not sure if they'll be on the balcony in the future though.
I think this choice was made in part because it allows them the freedom to spend part of the year in North America. I'm sure Meghan misses it.

Thank you Elenath. But I remember Diana Princess of Wales's infamous "time and space" speech like it was yesterday. I think that is when she ditched her RPO's as well.

And in retrospect, it was the beginning of the end for her.

I know this is a little bit different....but it sounds similar enough to give me a bit of a chill.....:sad:

They can't possibly dip in and out of the family when it suits them. They are either in or out and that must include titles, funding, security, the lot.

@MaxFosterCNN Mood not good in the palaces. ‘Dissapointed’ is the word I am hearing. Not even The Queen was consulted. Unprecedented probably.

I really don't think they expected them to "step away" and especially not like this.

If true, that’s pretty awful on their part...where is the respect for the Queen? As Queen and grandmother? For Charles, father and supportive in-law? For the institution?

If true, and I stress IF, then it is if nothing else a wholly unprofessional way to act. Imagine announcing you are resigning from your job online without telling your boss first. Its just not how people behave never mind when that boss is your grandmother and you're working for a family firm. It certainly plays up to a narrative the media have tried to push of them being difficult and uncooperative with an eye on catching the headlines and that it letting themselves down.

Last edited:
They can't possibly dip in and out of the family when it suits them. They are either in or out and that must include titles, funding, security, the lot.

Exactly my thoughts. I believe the Queen will make them choose, if truly they didn't consult her on this. They will not have it both ways. It will be in or out. Not one leg in and one leg out.

Harry is quite a disappointment. You can't do that to your family that has had your back when you screwed up many times in the past. I don't think Meghan has truly understanding of family loyalty. May be she didn't get that growing up. But Harry should know better.

It actually doesn't explain the 95% of the money - which, as stated in their own website, comes from the Duchy of Cornwall. And there's no word about "becoming independent" from the Duchy, they're talking just about The Sovereign Grant.
Interesting... and getting weirder each time.

So, financially independent means: still expecting Charles to fund them almost fully as he does now but ALSO being able to earn a 'professional income' (how much do they anticipate)? Why? Don't they 'get' enough money and want a different lifestyle? Does 'professional income' also include receiving money from the industry to promote their causes; or receive money to hold speeches and write books (like former presidents do)?

Of course, once Charles becomes king their full support was supposed to come from the Sovereign Grant; but for now, all signs suggest: all perks no boundaries.

Edit: Interesting phrase: "Their Royal Highnesses feel this new approach will enable them to continue to carry out their duties for Her Majesty The Queen, while having the future financial autonomy to work externally. "
They might find out that BP 'feels' differently.

Last edited:
Interesting... and getting weirder each time.

So, financially independent means: still expecting Charles to fund them almost fully as he does now but ALSO being able to earn a 'professional income' (how much do they anticipate)? Why? Don't they 'get' enough money and want a different lifestyle? Does 'professional income' also include receiving money from the industry to promote their causes; or receive money to hold speeches and write books (like former presidents do)?

Of course, once Charles becomes king their full support was supposed to come from the Sovereign Grant; but for now, all signs suggest: all perks no boundaries.

https://sussexroyal.com/funding/

It's mostly laid out on their page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom