The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Here's an interesting breakdown of some of the costs that are associated with the Sussexes, and which will now be under review. Apparently some of the figures given on the Sussex site may not be totally accurate:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...nces-qb0j3pgj8

Here's another:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...revealed-just/

Old 01-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Sorry , Yes I agree you didn't, I need to write longer posts and explain myself better.

The posters who support them are saying certain reporters have the correct story and everything else is lies. So the two I named are favoured reporters and if they say it , then it must be right. The fact that H & M might want to spin their own story doesn't appear to come in to it.
That's a very good point, thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
But its understandable look at Prince Andrew and Edward it is no fun being a spare. He doesnt want it and I dont think using other peoples sacrifice and suffering as a reason that he should endure the same is rational. It doesnt make it sense why does he have to suffer like the rest of the BRF who gave sacrificed did?
Suffer? I’m sorry, but if you want to talk about suffering, talk about people who can’t afford to put bread on the table. I personally wouldn’t want to live that suffocating lifestyle even if it meant I was incredibly wealthy, but it’s not suffering - and I seriously doubt that members of the BRF think of it that way.

Edward has done very good things and he’s happily married. I’m not touching Andrew - his problems are his own and nothing to do with being a spare (which by the way, Edward is really not).

Harry has the right to not want this lifestyle, but he doesn’t have the right to be selfish, disrespectful and hurtful. He’s caused a great deal of pain to his own father, his brother and his grandmother...
Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
As an American, I have no desire to see Harry and Meghan living here...not after this has all gone down.
Even my mother - who was a big Diana fan - is appalled by this.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Here's an interesting breakdown of some of the costs that are associated with the Sussexes, and which will now be under review. Apparently some of the figures given on the Sussex site may not be totally accurate:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...nces-qb0j3pgj8

Here's another:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...revealed-just/
And... the Palace and Home Office appear to be squarely on their game. Isn't the Telegraph supposed to be the only Sussex friendly outlet per the outline on the website?
That's going to leave a mark.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is concerning to me as well as a Royal watcher/lover from the U.S - though, not if it’s only Americans who feel this way as it’s none of our business. I like the way the Queen and Charles are handling this....

Quote:
For the couple are not so much redefining their royal role, according to some fans, as fighting a noble battle against a heartless British establishment determined to crush their caring, progressive spirits.

As America’s NBC network put it yesterday, quoting a typical Meghan supporter from Michigan: ‘Good for them. Their mental health is worth more than the monarchy.’ Social media was buzzing with similar sentiments.

While this simplistic ‘Cinderella’ narrative might fall apart under the most cursory scrutiny, it is gaining ground.

Like those made-up plotlines of Netflix soap opera The Crown, plenty of people will start to believe it simply because they choose to believe it.

And it is not just the monarchy and the Press which come out looking bad. It paints a sorry picture of Britain, too.

It is one reason why the Queen and the Prince of Wales are determined that there will be no instant, draconian response to the Sussexes’ unilateral declaration of independence. They have made no secret of the fact that they have been hurt and disappointed by the way the couple have dumped a fresh crisis on the 93-year-old sovereign at a time when she is trying to draw breath after the multiple setbacks of 2019.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...pantomime.html
Old 01-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Even my mother - who was a big Diana fan - is appalled by this.
I think Harry is squandering much of the good will people - not just the British - have towards him. Most of us are not royals, but all of us have parents/grandparents/siblings, etc.. and no decent person could support the Sussexes in their treatment of family...
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Serene Highness

Like a lot of well-known people, they want full media coverage when they're trying to publicise something, but they don't want the media anywhere near them otherwise. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Surely they cannot be so naïve that they don't know that?

The government seems to be staying out of it. In case Harry and Meghan haven't noticed, there's a very serious situation in the Middle East, affecting both the UK and Canada, not to mention the fact that the Brexit negotiations are at a crucial stage, and no-one needs to have to deal with stroppy Sussexes at this awkward time!
Old 01-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Meghan has been a Royal for what...19 months? And look where we are now because poor Meghan is “unhappy”. Hogwash.
Everyone is different - I think that 19 months is a long time to spend your time doing something you hate. I feel the same way about those who compare Meghan to Kate. They are different people. I know that other people are able to ignore things that really bother me.

My criticism is not that they want to step back, but how they went about it. If it is true that Harry did not want to put anything in writing because of leaks and his concerns were dismissed, I understand his and Meghan's frustration when it did leak. It must have confirmed their fears that they were not being supported. If the Queen and/or Prince Charles wanted Harry to describe what he wanted in writing to avoid misunderstanding, then they had the responsible for ensuring nothing got out.

However, although I understand Harry's frustration, I still think that going public before the royal family was ready was not the right move. The Sun article would have been grist for the rumor mill, but wouldn't have made any difference.

From what has been reported and posted on their website, I think the family (including Harry and Meghan) were working toward a plan that allowed Harry and Meghan to step back but kept the door open for them to become more active.

In the past, the Windsors have been accused of putting duty before family. However, this incident reinforces my conviction that the Queen and Charles love Harry deeply and are standing behind him. Forcing people to do what they don't want to do can cause deep unhappiness and resentment. The path they are working out appears designed to ensure that, with the support of the family, Harry and Meghan are able to lead the life they want while being as active as they choose.

I wish everyone the best.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Its nothing special to him, its literally from their website.
Exactly. He’s reporting from the SussexRoyal site.

Not sure why the original poster denigrates Omid as a “little reporter”?
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don’t want to think this, but a part of me wonders if Meghan is deliberately trying to isolate Harry from his family at least subconsciously because of her own issues with hers. I can’t help thinking of how Charles was reportedly insecure about William’s relationship with the Middletons because hen was feeling shut out by his eldest son - and I wonder how he’s feeling now that his youngest appears to be also pushing him away.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess Meghan hadn't took too much time to perform the transition from a commoner to a royal duchess. She never get used to know what her new role is. She never had enough time to create her own "duchess-type".
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Everyone is different - I think that 19 months is a long time to spend your time doing something you hate. I feel the same way about those who compare Meghan to Kate. They are different people. I know that other people are able to ignore things that really bother me.

My criticism is not that they want to step back, but how they went about it. If it is true that Harry did not want to put anything in writing because of leaks and his concerns were dismissed, I understand his and Meghan's frustration when it did leak. It must have confirmed their fears that they were not being supported. If the Queen and/or Prince Charles wanted Harry to describe what he wanted in writing to avoid misunderstanding, then they had the responsible for ensuring nothing got out.

However, although I understand Harry's frustration, I still think that going public before the royal family was ready was not the right move. The Sun article would have been grist for the rumor mill, but wouldn't have made any difference.

From what has been reported and posted on their website, I think the family (including Harry and Meghan) were working toward a plan that allowed Harry and Meghan to step back but kept the door open for them to become more active.

In the past, the Windsors have been accused of putting duty before family. However, this incident reinforces my conviction that the Queen and Charles love Harry deeply and are standing behind him. Forcing people to do what they don't want to do can cause deep unhappiness and resentment. The path they are working out appears designed to ensure that, with the support of the family, Harry and Meghan are able to lead the life they want while being as active as they choose.

I wish everyone the best.
They may or may not love Harry deeply, but , in this case, I think they are being pragmatic above all. As I said, the Queen and especially Prince Charles don’t want a new Diana situation , so they have come to the conclusion that it is better to negotiate a truce than to have a full-blown war. The courtiers , however, and maybe the government ( if I were in their shoes) may be not as conciliatory when presented with unreasonable demands.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
Exactly. He’s reporting from the SussexRoyal site.

Not sure why the original poster denigrates Omid as a “little reporter”?

If you asked, I’d answer.

I wrote him as their little reporter because he is exactly that, at the time he was the first to comment on the information, others followed, and then it was discovered the information was up on their website.

Omid has been, as has Tom Bradby, the Sussexes information peddlers for a while.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy

Has Diana’s brother, Earl Spencer made any public comment yet?

I
Old 01-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
Speaking with my friends today at lunch it was unanimous that here in America we will greatly welcome Prince Harry and Princess Meghan if they so choose to live here. They are both smart and enjoyable people and its easy to make a small fortune here as long as you already have collateral money which I assume they do. I thought they were treated most unfairly in Great Britain, but there is always an opportunity to change one's way of life. In a way they will be 'our royals', but only in thought and never legally of course....lol.
Speak for yourself, that is not a unanimous opinion across the U.S.
And in agreement with several of our Canadian members, I don’t want to pay anything for them either.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Nobility

The Michaels of Kent are paying full price for their apartment at Kensington. Then the Sussexes should pay full price for their place they wanna keep. As simple as that.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If you asked, I’d answer.

I wrote him as their little reporter because he is exactly that, at the time he was the first to comment on the information, others followed, and then it was discovered the information was up on their website.

Omid has been, as has Tom Bradby, the Sussexes information peddlers for a while.
As a journalist, we all have specific beats, subjects and angles we cover. It is immature to label someone doing their job as “little,” because you don’t like what they’re reporting.

These are dangerous times for journalists and overall freedoms of the press and information.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
As a journalist, we all have specific beats, subjects and angles we cover. It is immature to label someone doing their job as “little,” because you don’t like what they’re reporting.

These are dangerous times for journalists and overall freedoms of the press and information.
That's exactly the Sussexes are trying to do by :
- Provide access to credible media outlets focused on objective news reporting to cover key moments and events;
- Continue to share information directly to the wider public via their official communications channels;
- No longer participate in the Royal Rota system.

Basically they are making a difference between "good" and "bad" journalism, which is higly subjective.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Then the whole story is much more incomprehensible as it alreaday is anyway.
Slimming down the Royal House would be quite a normal process, they just could have bite the bullet and get it done. A few more month and there you go.
Communicated by the Queen, nobody would have cared (be aware of that is what they wished anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Who knows but some correspondents think this was Harry trying to speed up the inevitable. He is the 2nd son. His brother has three kids. People know a slimmed down monarchy was coming. Some claim Harry would have been part if it. Maybe, maybe not. He clearly didn't see it that way.
If there was ever any thought that Harry (and Meghan) would not be fulltime working royals—the Queen would not have given them the Commonwealth roles she did. Nor would some of the patronages been passed to them.
IMO, This is a story dreamed up by Sussex fans to present their heroes in a more positive light.

Closed Thread