The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was ever any thought that Harry (and Meghan) would not be fulltime working royals—the Queen would not have given them the Commonwealth roles she did. Nor would some of the patronages been passed to them.
IMO, This is a story dreamed up by Sussex fans to present their heroes in a more positive light.

Not sure it is a dreamed up anything. People are just going by what it being presented. That is the new version of events. I actually agree that I don't think talks of a slimmed down monarchy was the sole reason but I do think Harry knew it was going to eventually happen. So it played a role. Not a major one but I would be surprised if at one point he didn't mention it.

As for that statement itself, Valentin Low from The Times has posted an interesting article on what he seems to have learned about what took place in the days leading up to it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harry-and-meghan-ignored-aides-advice-about-quitting-j7ggx9bnm

The whole thing just sounds unfortunate and a mess. I really don't think anyone is particularly happy right now and they need to find out who this leak is. People claimed it was a Sussexes to sped up the process but Dan Wootton went on record saying that he was working on this story for 2 weeks and that their people tried to stop him and Low's article seems to confirm it. His source is within BP.

I just read an article that said that they have been consulting with Oprah Winfrey about this and that she had encouraged them and helped them plan their exit. Has anyone else read this? Not sure if it's true.

It may not of been....but the continuing situation with them since day one has made that perhaps not possible.

First off there's no reason to think they want to profit off their titles/position for any other reason than to fund their charity work. Long before she met Harry she was in an interview (it was posted here long back) talking about working in order to fund it. Secondly, this is done by several members of the BRF so certainly no reason ppl should be acting like they are some sort of monsters because they want to profit off who they are.

I've seen 0 evidence either of them are interested in fame or money (other than to do their work).

LaRae

Up until now the restraints of being fully in the fold have been in place. Harry has been famous all of his life. He has been wealthy all of his life.

His wife has not----and once again, this makes her no better or worse than the rest of us. It's been my observation that most people that choose show business as a career do desire both fame and fortune and that is totally normal. It doesn't mean that that focus never changes for them. Time will tell whether Meghan's fascination with branding becomes a means to a good and charitable end or the continuation of what was an essential part of being in the entertainment industry.

But as a couple, their handling of this has been abysmal.

I just read an article that said that they have been consulting with Oprah Winfrey about this and that she had encouraged them and helped them plan their exit. Has anyone else read this? Not sure if it's true.

IF it is true I'd like to now why they are consulting Oprah Winfrey, what on Earth does she know about the BRF? This is turning into a nightmare!!!

As an American, I have no desire to see Harry and Meghan living here...not after this has all gone down.

Same. 100% same. I've been a longtime royal watcher, a subscriber to magazines about royals, etc. and I can't tell you how long it's been since I actually read a magazine cover to cover when it includes an article about these two. I've become more and more disillusioned with them and their behavior and attitudes and I really can't stomach them. I certainly don't want them living here and I absolutely would never consider them to be "our royalty." I think it's become starkly clear that for many Americans that consider themselves to be royal watchers they're really only casual royal observers to have zero understanding of the history of the institution and that thinking behind it or the division and differences between royalty and celebrity. For those serious royal watchers, which I would certainly consider myself apart of, this move is widely seen as appalling. Not because they wanted out, but because of the way they went about it. Had they announced at their engagement or marriage that they would be stepping away there might have been a little bit of surprise but no hard feelings. However, this bombshell and resulting chaotic mess has shown their true colors and many Americans who consider themselves to be serious royal watchers are quite put out with them and certainly unwilling to welcome them to be "our royals."

Oprah has already been asked on her tour and she denied the story. This came from Page 6 in the US. It is basically the gossip section and they clearly trying to stir the pot for some clicks. They also asked Serena who refused to comment. They just going after all the high profile people they know.

What a mess.
You can have an own live and job outside the royal house and still be a part of the family. Look at the Netherlands. Constantijn and Laurentien have their own jobs , now and then we see them, with Kingsday, prince Claus awards etc. They do not get an allowance from the government although they will receive money for their expenses I suppose. Can't they have this Dutch construction

However I have the feeling that this is not what Harry and Meghan want. It seems to me that they want it all and not have the press intrusion. Well I don't think that is possible. Have and the priviliges and the allowances of royalty and have a own job and live in the UK and USA.
If you don't want the British tabloids and the obligations , move out, live in a tiny house, live your life and shut up... in the end people will loose their interest.
What Harry and Meghan do is continually fuel the fire... I wonder who their advisors are

As for that statement itself, Valentin Low from The Times has posted an interesting article on what he seems to have learned about what took place in the days leading up to it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harry-and-meghan-ignored-aides-advice-about-quitting-j7ggx9bnm

The whole thing just sounds unfortunate and a mess. I really don't think anyone is particularly happy right now and they need to find out who this leak is. People claimed it was a Sussexes to sped up the process but Dan Wootton went on record saying that he was working on this story for 2 weeks and that their people tried to stop him and Low's article seems to confirm it. His source is within BP.

I agree that this is an interesting article, and, assuming it is mostly accurate, makes me feel a lot of sympathy for Sarah Latham and co. The previously published comments about the Sussexes operating in a silo and listening to no one certainly seem to have some merit.

I agree, there's a slimmed down Monarchy and then there's an absolutely skeletal one! It was my understanding that when Charles took the throne the BRF would consist of himself, Camilla, his sons and their wives and his grandchildren. This was represented at the Diamond Jubilee where BOTH of his sons appeared on the balcony as part of what many interpreted as the future slimmed down royal family. William's children are decades away from royal duties so of course Harry was going to be needed to support his father alongside William. Bradby is talking nonsense IMO.

Under Queen Elizabeth II, we don’t get and won’t get a slimmed-down monarchy ( see last year’s Trooping balcony ). So any talk of a slimmed-down monarchy is merely a possibility in a Charles reign that may be still years away.

In any case, slimmed-down monarchy in continental European terms normally means the King and Queen, the heir and the heir’s consort, the heir’s children, and the King’s younger children who are not the heir.plus their wives possibly. Grandchildren such as Archie would be out, but It is highly unlikely that Charles would make such a radical change as to exclude Harry and Meghan also.

That story feels like it was engineered to give the Sussexes an alibi, which is a bad one by the way as it is actually inconsistent with their message to begin with.

As a journalist, we all have specific beats, subjects and angles we cover. It is immature to label someone doing their job as “little,” because you don’t like what they’re reporting.

These are dangerous times for journalists and overall freedoms of the press and information.

Thanks for the personality assessment but I’ll carry on with my freedom of speech thank you.

But Harry has always known that he is the spare.
Even though Diana said that she and Charles were scrupulous about treating both boys the same, she admitted that others in the RF insisted on emphasizing the importance of William.

So, it's not as if this comes as a shock to Harry and Meghan.

Again, Harry was never second in line , so technically never a spare ( unlike Andrew for example, who was a true spare for most of his younger years). You might argue that, when he and William were under age , Harry was the “ next generation spare “ from a certain point of view, but the moment William had a son, even that honorary spare status was gone.

Harry is 6th in line and that is his reality now. The spare ship has long sailed and Harry and his wife are just behaving as if they overestimated their position and importance.

That story feels like it was engineered to give the Sussexes an alibi, which is a bad one by the way as it is actually inconsistent with their message to begin with.

And totally inconsistent with the important Commonwealth role given to the Sussexes.
I don't understand, we were told for months that the Sussexes were Senior royals with important roles inside the BRF and now they were in fact on some ejectable seats and good for them to have anticipated the inevitable.
It doesn't make any sense ...

Again, Harry was never second in line , so technically never a spare ( unlike Andrew for example, who was a true spare for most of his younger years). You might argue that, when he and William were under age , Harry was the “ next generation spare “ from a certain point of view, but the moment William had a son, even that honorary spare status was gone.

Harry is 6th in line and that is his reality now. The spare ship has long sailed and Harry and his wife are just behaving as if they overestimated their position and importance.

Some would argue they behaving like people well aware of their position and importance in the BRF. 6th in line and very very not important in the grand scheme of things.

I am not saying I agree. As pointed upthread I think this whole "slimmed down" stuff is just a new talking point for the media to fill air time but it is not like it hasn't been something rumored over the years.

As long as they are doing work for the British monarchy, and therefore the British government, any attempt to limit their coverage to only positive coverage is untenable. They have to accept that not everything they do is going to be free of criticism, which apparently is an issue for them. So yes, it would be awful. The only way to control that stuff is to go the celebrity route, which apparently is where this is headed, as many other posters on this thread have noted.

As far as I remember they both clearly said they didn’t mind criticism, but they want it to be fair. So no lies and no half-truths. And that is the difference between good and bad journalism. I think even many papers loose sight of this in their effort to get clicks and therefore money.

Archie was mentioned in the speech. This isn’t about “hurt feelings.” And I didn’t see Princess Anne’s photo either—and she’s the hardest working Royal after Charles.

This is a well thought out plan to try to get their own way, one way or the other.
The avoidance of visiting Balmoral this summer makes a lot of sense now-I think this has been planned by H&M for a long time-and I don’t think Harry could face his grandmother.

They avoided Balmoral, Sandringham...and frankly I expect to see more such avoidances in the future. While I’m sure he still loves his family, it’s clear he has no respect for them and the institution of the monarchy as a whole. Add this to his insecurity about his place in the family and Meghan’s seeming desire to isolate him from his family, and I venture to guess that Harry will be spending very little time with his father, grandparents, brother, etc...

But Harry has always known that he is the spare.
Even though Diana said that she and Charles were scrupulous about treating both boys the same, she admitted that others in the RF insisted on emphasizing the importance of William.

So, it's not as if this comes as a shock to Harry and Meghan.

I actually think part of the problem is that the boys were treated the same for much too long. I get that a parent's instinct would be to minimize the differences so the second child wouldn't feel inferior, especially in a case like this where there were only two children, both boys, and very close in age. But I think it's possible to make children understand that while they're both loved and valued equally in the family, in terms of public, official life, they are destined for very different paths. If 'the spare' has been brought up with no clear differentiation between public and family life, and if he is allowed to believe that any differences between him and his sibling are surface level only, then you can see how his adult life is going to be a series of increasingly severe wake up calls. So I don't think Harry was well served by his parents' good intentions.

And, of course, if Harry didn't have a clear idea of his place within the structure of the monarchy, you could hardly expect Meghan to develop a realistic view of how things were going to work.

Its crystal clear, now, that those of us who thought Americans congenitally unable to comprehend the business of Monarchy, let alone further its aims or work within its obvious constraints, and who warned about it at the time of this unfortunate couples courtship, are vindicated..

I've heard the name Wallis Simpson, on more lips in the last three days, than I ever thought to do.. but the comparison is inevitable.

Same. 100% same. I've been a longtime royal watcher, a subscriber to magazines about royals, etc. and I can't tell you how long it's been since I actually read a magazine cover to cover when it includes an article about these two. I've become more and more disillusioned with them and their behavior and attitudes and I really can't stomach them. I certainly don't want them living here and I absolutely would never consider them to be "our royalty." I think it's become starkly clear that for many Americans that consider themselves to be royal watchers they're really only casual royal observers to have zero understanding of the history of the institution and that thinking behind it or the division and differences between royalty and celebrity. For those serious royal watchers, which I would certainly consider myself apart of, this move is widely seen as appalling. Not because they wanted out, but because of the way they went about it. Had they announced at their engagement or marriage that they would be stepping away there might have been a little bit of surprise but no hard feelings. However, this bombshell and resulting chaotic mess has shown their true colors and many Americans who consider themselves to be serious royal watchers are quite put out with them and certainly unwilling to welcome them to be "our royals."

I defended and supported them when many didn’t - especially Meghan- but no more; I’ve wiped my hands of them.

I think Americans have a Romantic notion of royalty, which is why so many think the story of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor is one of the greatest love stories ever and proof that the royal family is a stuffed shirt institution which is ultimately useless. I used to think that way about Edward VIII, but I stopped as soon as I understood the ramifications of his attitudes. It’s one reason I love George VI so much. The NY Times published an editorial with the headline “Good for Meghan and Harry”. I skimmed it and it was all about fairy tales and happy endings, no doubt vilifying the Big, Bad, BRF for trying to crush their individuality (I’m guessing because I refused to read it behind the skim). The NY Times is a phenomenal newspaper, but no, that wasn’t fit to print. So anyway, Americans don’t know or care about the charitable work and long hours the BRF put in because the only times they are reported in here are pretty much for weddings and silky entertainment shows with gossipy mentalities.

I agree with you that most people would have been ok had M and H decided that they needed to live another lifestyle - in fact, the Queen and Charles were fine with it and trying to work out an accommodation. Harry should understand how this all works, but neither he nor his wife care - and that’s really the crux of the matter. They care only about themselves and have left wreckage behind them in their wake.

Its crystal clear, now, that those of us who thought Americans congenitally unable to comprehend the business of Monarchy, let alone further its aims or work within its obvious constraints, and who warned about it at the time of this unfortunate couples courtship, are vindicated..

I've heard the name Wallis Simpson, on more lips in the last three days, than I ever thought to do.. but the comparison is inevitable.

Not all Americans, so no, it’s not congenital. In a post I just made, however, I explained why you are right for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually think part of the problem is that the boys were treated the same for much too long. I get that a parent's instinct would be to minimize the differences so the second child wouldn't feel inferior, especially in a case like this where there were only two children, both boys, and very close in age. But I think it's possible to make children understand that while they're both loved and valued equally in the family, in terms of public, official life, they are destined for very different paths. If 'the spare' has been brought up with no clear differentiation between public and family life, and if he is allowed to believe that any differences between him and his sibling are surface level only, then you can see how his adult life is going to be a series of increasingly severe wake up calls. So I don't think Harry was well served by his parents' good intentions.

And, of course, if Harry didn't have a clear idea of his place within the structure of the monarchy, you could hardly expect Meghan to develop a realistic view of how things were going to work.

I agree.
I imagine it was hard to give preferential treatment to Prince William given that Prince Charles only has 2 kids who had lost their mother at a very young age.

May be that's why Catherine decided to have at least 3. This way Charlotte and Louis will have each other while George is following his destiny as a future heir.

Checking the comments on their announcement on their Insta and I am actually amazed by how the tides seem to have turned against them so fast. When they first posted it, the comments were mostly positive. Now the comments with the most likes are the ones chastising them for the move. The words most repeated seem to be "financial independence"--they are mocked either for the vagueness of language or the hypocrisy of the idea or both.

Media reports are saying that Meghan flew to Victoria to be with Archie and Jessica Mulroney, but Jessica was in Toronto today at Cityline Studio for a live segment. Something is not right ��

Of COURSE 'they knew'.. they've been holed up abroad plotting this for SEVEN weeks..[and on her part, FAR LONGER}

I expect them to end up as 'ex-Royals', and soon - Still Duke & Duchess, but not Royal Highnesses, and not in receipt of Duchy of Cornwall monies.. in fact any BRF monies, beyond what Harry inherited from his mother & QEQM -
Their ability to monestise their link to the Crown will be severely constricted by the Queen's and UK Govt lawyers..

As for what remains of their personal relationship with his family, I imagine they are 'shot to pieces', and since the Duchess likes things that way, I can't see and 'bridges being built'.

They can live where they chose, and 'good riddance'..

I think they have been planning this for far longer than their recent "break."

This was in the works by them for months, if not the past year--that "documentary" at the end of the Africa trip was most definitely calculated and designed to tug on heartstrings and have people feel sorry for them.

I agree with all you've written above.

And in reply to this--

Its crystal clear, now, that those of us who thought Americans congenitally unable to comprehend the business of Monarchy, let alone further its aims or work within its obvious constraints, ...

I am an American, so please, don't paint us all with the same brush.

Last edited:
Checking the comments on their announcement on their Insta and I am actually amazed by how the tides seem to have turned against them so fast. When they first posted it, the comments were mostly positive. Now the comments with the most likes are the ones chastising them for the move. The words most repeated seem to be "financial independence"--they are mocked either for the vagueness of language or the hypocrisy of the idea or both.

Those press stories about having their heads up their financial asses must be going viral quickly.

I agree.
I imagine it was hard to give preferential treatment to Prince William given that Prince Charles only has 2 kids who had lost their mother at a very young age.

May be that's why Catherine decided to have at least 3. This way Charlotte and Louis will have each other while George is following his destiny as a future heir.

A key difference though , and I keep coming back to this point, is that William was never first in line when he was a kid., as he still isn’t now.

Compare and contrast it to the Spanish royal family for example. Leonor and Sofía were treated equally while Felipe was still Prince of Asturias, but the moment he became King and Leonor became Princess of Asturias a clear distinction was made between her and her sister and they began to be treated differently . See for example the ceremony where King Felipe awarded Leonor the Golden Fleece and, in his speech, clearly outlined her role as heir and her sister’s role as merely to support Leonor. At the time , many of us thought Felipe’s words were too harsh, even cruel to a young girl like Infanta Sofía, but it is good that the girls know from an early age what they should expect of the their future within the family.

Last edited:
A key difference though , and I keep coming back to this point, is that William was never first in line when he was a kid., as he still isn’t now.

Compare and contrast it to the Spanish royal family for example. Leonor and Sofía were treated equally when Felipe was still Prince of Asturias, but the moment he became King and Leonor became Princess of Asturias a clear distinction was made between her and her sister and they began to be treated differently . See for example the ceremony where King Felipe awarded Leonor the Golden Fleece and, in his speech, clearly outlined her role as heir and her sister’s role as merely to support Leonor. At the time , many of us thought Felipe’s words were too harsh, even cruel to a young girl like Infanta Sofía, but it is good that the girls know from an early age what they should expect of the their future within the family.

I imagine there would be private conversations as well that explain that just because you're not going to be a king/queen doesn't mean you're not important... etc.

I could sense that Harry was not comfortable being a royal (he's indicated so many times), but I never assumed there was jealousy between him and William... until now.

Would this be do awful? It gives them more freedom and control over what is printed. I doubt they only want positive news to come out, they never said this, they don’t want the media to print lies or half-truths. Doesn’t seem so unreasonable to me. And there is a difference between good and bad journalism and irony agreeing or disagreeing with what’s printed. The Daily Mail is bad, The Times is good journalism.

No, no it doesn't give them more control over what is printed. It is naive to believe that.

And The Daily Mail is not "journalism."

Compare and contrast it to the Spanish royal family for example. Leonor and Sofía were treated equally when Felipe was still Prince of Asturias, but the moment he became King and Leonor became Princess of Asturias a clear distinction was made between her and her sister and they began to be treated differently . See for example the ceremony where King Felipe awarded Leonor the Golden Fleece and, in his speech, clearly outlined her role as heir and her sister’s role as merely to support Leonor. At the time , many of us thought Felipe’s words were too harsh, even cruel to a young girl like Infanta Sofía, but it is good that the girls know from an early age what they should expect of the their future within the family.

I’ll be honest, while practically it was probably a good thing, those words do seem unnecessarily cruel. I hope the King made it clear to Sofia that she’s just as loved as her sister....which is what I’m sure Charles and Diana did with Harry. Sadly it feels like that didn’t take with Harry - though maybe it’s more that Meghan feels that way and she’s encouraging Harry to think that way...

Last edited:

That's a great point. I remember KIng Felipe speech, I initially thought the same - harsh. But he probably knows from experience, it was necessary.

I think they have been planning this for far longer than their recent "break."

This was in the works by them for months, if not the past year--that "documentary" at the end of the Africa trip was most definitely calculated and designed to tug on heartstrings and have people feel sorry for them.

I agree with all you've written above.

And in reply to this--

I am an American, so please, don't paint us all with the same brush.

Thank you! I think the Americans who don’t “get” the monarchy just see the royals as celebrities on the level of movie stars - perhaps because of Grace Kelly. I think those of us who do “get it” probably are also history lovers and have read about the monarchy as part of British history..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom