The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I certainly wonder about the authenticity of this "Breaking News" but it's not out of the realm of possibility, either. However, if this is true, then I hope that this isn't an indication that the Queen or any of the royal households have any intention of bending to the will of Harry and Meghan. There's absolutely nothing about any of this that should cause them to feel as though they have let H & M "win" after the way they've handled this. I'm not British so I can't say that I speak with for the British people but I'm almost certain that allowing their demands to be met and bending to their will would not be seen as a positive development.

Well I can tell you from the street that there are a couple of responses. Hurt for the Queen amd all the other members of the family who just work and work
. The media were horrible and they are not in line anyway. Everyone however is now saying. We aren't paying for them.now are we. I see a lump sum from the family and removal of RPO's or ones to be paid privately. Restrictions about talking about family in public. All that stuff.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Courtier

People Magazine is reporting that Archie has remained in Canada while Harry and Meghan have been in London to drop their bombshell. If that's true then it lends a whole other element to their plans and says quiet clearly that they're planning to bolt within a matter of days.
https://people.com/royals/prince-har...alace-shakeup/

Old 01-09-2020, 01:37 PM
Commoner

So you have two people from undoubtedly very dysfunctional families which has created some instability, put in very high profile situation with excessive media pressure, and Harry's wound of what happened to his mother due to these pressures, and his unwillingness to let the relationship evolve over time so that Meghan can acclimate, have combined to create the perfect storm - probably won't end in "happily ever after"!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal4one View Post
So you have two people from undoubtedly very dysfunctional families which has created some instability, put in very high profile situation with excessive media pressure, and Harry's wound of what happened to his mother due to these pressures, and his unwillingness to let the relationship evolve over time so that Meghan can acclimate, have combined to create the perfect storm - probably won't end in "happily ever after"!
Basically.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

@chrisshipitv So 24 hours after THAT statement from Harry and Meghan, the
Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"
Again if it's true the method to rush things and to somewhat force the Queen to react was despicable, simply despicable.
I mean so publicy, from your own grandson ...
Don't talk about respect after that mate.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

If the news was in the hands of the tabloids, they basically had no choice but to drop it themselves before the rag tabs got away with it. It's what I mean when I say there are divided loyalties within the BRF. Nothing is ever airtight, not when there are people blabbing.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

The fact that all the senior Royals plus governments are meeting to find a solution for the Sussexes show me that the BRF and the British government wants to keep the Sussex-influence within the fold. Plus the BRF loves them. They know them and they love them. So it's not winning or losing a war IMHo but how to organize the whole debacle (which allegdly only happened because a "Royal source" threatened a leak!) into something resembling order. And what if they are not in Hull to open a community hall but in Canada or NZ to dine with the Prime Minister? They are Royals after all. Plus they surely will go on organizing community projects in Hull or elsewhere small.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And perhaps distance will do them good. Let's just wait and see.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I agree with you, Muhler! But I feel that their IG posting was the question to have more talks and to be taken more seriously. They dedicated their website to the service for HM the queen. And they spoke of their "intent" to step down as senior Royals - not that they do it. Just like it was "intended" for Camilla to become the Princess Consort when we all knew that Charles would never do anything to make it happen.

IMHO the ball is now in Charles' court and he loves and understands Harry and Meghan. Well see what will happen. IMHO Piers Morgan actually prove what H&M claim: that the media is biased and that there need to be another way for these two to go onbew. But which one? That remains to be seen.
Absolutely.

There is no other way out of this than getting together and negotiate a solution.
However, H&M are not in a position to dictate anything.
They will be lucky if just some of their wishes come true.
And it's not just the BRF they will be negotiating with. It's the British government - it's after all the British state that will foot some of the bill and it's the British government who will decide how much they wish to use H&M abroad in particular.

H&M may suddenly realize they are replaceable. More than they thought.
H&M played their hand too soon and they are left with no aces.

So I think a solution that will satisfy the BRF and the British government (read: The British public) but not necessarily H&M will be the most likely outcome of these negotiations. - It will be up to our resident Britons to assess how much they are willing to give H&M.

H&M have played their hand saying we want "a junior role", they can't retract now.
W&K would have some good cards left: Themselves and their children.
H&M have... what?
What can they do now? Threaten to remain "senior" royals? Threaten to take on more engagements? Threaten to stay only in Britain?
They can't even play the card saying: Then we'll go public saying we will step down embarrassing the BRF. They have already used that.
They have no cards left.

So H&M may get one wish fulfilled: They will become secondary royals - very secondary royals.

It will be interesting negotiations!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I hope the distance is good for them and they end up happy and in workable roles.

I really wish that they’d done what William and Kate did when they first got married. That time in Wales when he was working for the air ambulance was good for them. Limited engagements combined with a service job for him helped give Kate time to acclimate to her new role.

Meghan didn’t get that gentle transition and it would have been helpful in protecting her from some of this. It also hurt that her family has been so willing to profit off of her and harm her
Old 01-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
The Queen showed her willingness to act swiftly, decisively, and forcefully when she made the decision to handle Andrew's issues as she did. I very much doubt that she'll hesitate to show these two exactly what and who they are, what their standing is, and exactly who is in charge.
In this matter, I fully trust that HM, The Queen will, along with the now reported round table with other members of the "Firm" and #10 and perhaps other government's representatives, will do and act in a manner that is best for the stability of the monarchy itself.

I'm guessing there will be quite a few either/or decisions made. For example, "if you keep your HRH, commercial ventures are not an option" and "if you're moving away from the Sovereign Grant and the "Firm", you will be expected to pay the going rent on the Crown Estate property you live in" and even "If you decide to split your residence between the UK and another country, Harry will have to forfeit his position as a Councillor of State". Either/Or. No half measures with picking and choosing this or that.

This is all strictly going to be from a business angle of the family "Firm" and the work of the monarchy. Harry and Meghan may find themselves totally on the outside of everything involved with what the monarchy does on a global platform and be left to their own devices with their foundation with H&M at the helm and running things. This, however, will *not* (to me) cause them to be estranged or exiled from the British royal family themselves. There may be animosity and hurt feelings for a while but I don't believe the Sussexes will be shunned for their decisions on how they want their lives to be. They may, however, find that their life plan and the monarchy mix like oil and vinegar.

What comes to mind for me is a quote from Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning" which states "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." This is true. However, actions beget reactions and Harry and Meghan may get what they want but not necessarily in the way they want things to be. They cannot call the shots and dictate how their roles within an institution will be. They can wish and hope and request and beg and plead but the bottom line is they run the chance of being told "no" to it all and lose everything. Not a well thought out gamble in my book.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well someone official clearly did because new programs like Channel 5 and ITV also posting about it. It was a press release of some kind.

Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William say they will work "at pace" with the Sussexes and governments (note the plural - so presumably UK, Canada and USA) to find "workable solutions"
I don’t think that the US government has anything to do with this matter, but Canada certainly is an interested party, not least because I suspect the Canadians may be asked to foot the bill ( at least partially).
Old 01-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don’t think that the US government has anything to do with this matter, but Canada certainly is an interested party, not least because I suspect the Canadians may be asked to foot the bill ( at least partially).
This and I suspect that some Canadians might be feeling a little bit used or played after that Canada House engagement. So many people, including posters here, felt that something was very, very off about that whole engagement and now we know why. But it did kind of give off the vibe that somehow Canadian officials were "in on it" or "plotting" with Harry and Meghan and I don't believe it sat well with a lot of people.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Again if it's true the method to rush things and to somewhat force the Queen to react was despicable, simply despicable.
I mean so publicy, from your own grandson ...
Don't talk about respect after that mate.
Agreed, but , if the news is true, they may be well getting what they wanted, i.e. the four royal households plus the British and Canadian governments scrambling to fulfill their demands. I sincerely hope they are not rewarded for bad behavior and end up getting another deal .
Old 01-09-2020, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Just because the news is reporting it, doesn’t prove an official source released the information. Like I said if it came from BP, why not say so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Depending on what route they go, charitable wise, a lot of their “funding” and promotion will come from the USA. There’s a spot on Oprah waiting for them I bet.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy

I have a feeling that the Queen may bend the rules to accomodate the Sussexes. It's her grandson after all. Hopefully they will take the public into account. The BRF does not have a luxury to make bad decisions now. I'm not sure whether Brits will be happy with part-time Prince.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Courtier

I think we also need to be open to the idea that we may not have all the information. We can only guess why the announcement was made yesterday and we can only guess the reaction of the rest of the royal family. H&M may have been "forced" to make the announcement, or they may have been frustrated. If the reports are true and the queen has ordered that they work closely to find a solution, it's a good sign, I think.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
I have a feeling that the Queen may bend the rules to accomodate the Sussexes. It's her grandson after all. Hopefully they will take the public into account. The BRF does not have a luxury to make bad decisions now. I'm not sure whether Brits will be happy with part-time Prince.
As a Brit, after this display of petulance I'm absolutely delighted for Harry to become an unemployed Prince. Let them have their freedom and a chance of a happier, quieter life - but no input from the taxpayer. In spite of all the criticism and unpleasantness they faced from some quarters there was a lot of good faith towards them - they've lost a lot of support with this strategy.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Gentry

Russell Meyers is reporting that he’s been told the Sussex plan is unworkable. https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1...984450048?s=21
Old 01-09-2020, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCRoyal View Post
I think we also need to be open to the idea that we may not have all the information. We can only guess why the announcement was made yesterday and we can only guess the reaction of the rest of the royal family. H&M may have been "forced" to make the announcement, or they may have been frustrated. If the reports are true and the queen has ordered that they work closely to find a solution, it's a good sign, I think.
I think this is key...who exactly is it a good sign for? Harry and Meghan? Have they really backed the RF into a corner and now stand to get everything they want after they've forced everyone to once again bend over backwards for them? I suspect that if the reports of the Queen trying to find a "workable solution" are true then yes, it might be a good sign for Harry and Meghan but it might be a sign that the RF are not taking into account or reading the public mood and may not be a good sign for anyone BUT Harry and Meghan.

Closed Thread