The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love their website “manifesto” laying out their fantasy life as progressive, what? Global Saviors? Duke and Duchess of the Universe? After all, they are MUCH too big and important as THE power couple to be under the thumb of a mere Queen, Country, et.al, They are Universal Ambassadors entitled to reap financial rewards from their adoring worshipers and other powerful influencers. They are a global brand, which is being smothered by an institution and a little white haired lady that wanders around with a handbag not doing anything REALLY important like they will be doing. As the most important masters of the universe, they will control the media and make sure what is printed is only the most glowing and positive stories about their incredibly important work.

What a bunch of narcissistic bull poo poo. These two are something else. The pure arrogance, selfishness and complete disregard for the Queen, her heir(s) and the institution is stunning. They weren’t getting what they wanted in the time and way they wanted it so they will just do it their own way. And if the Queen and Prince Charles allow it, then it won’t bode well for the future dealings with these two.

I so wish the Queen and Prince Charles would take a firm stand and strip them of HRH and the titles since they clearly want to market and make money off the Sussex title. Harry and his wife can then be known as Mr and Mrs Harry Mountbatten-Windsor and go live I where ever they want but without the financial support or branding of the Royal Family.

If they had any scruples they would voluntarily give those titles up. I would actually have some genuine respect for them if they did that but who knows, they might still.

I must admit a reading of the website which I have only been able to do now is interesting. They have definitely highlight that they will be financial independent. Which leads me to a question. I have really only the articles about the cost of Frogmore and the flight for holiday via Elton John Airways, was there any other criticism regarding the way they are using money. They really seems to have
taken been called hypocritical drastically.
That been said - the media section. Pretty much a we will release the truth about everything and only our agents will be shared stories.
Either way the site is polished, wording and language by a prolific spin doctor. A lot of the language chooses is specific to millenniums but that is no doubt their target market here. It is where their support base is so makes sense. However I think it is targeted to an American market.
If you read the site , you I’ll notice they talk twice maybe three times of a phased approach to get to their new model of working. The Queen appears to have said no to that with the pace request to the staff. This wasn’t what they has envisioned when the site was created at least.
It concerns me that they keep talking about a new model of royal work. There isn’t such a thing. There is a tradition of royal work . Models of process are what business have, not the monarchy of England.
It does make for interesting reading, but nearsighted and naive. But if they want to make a go at it then let them.

They also didn’t sigh their names TRH on the Instagram post, maybe an oversight maybe not.

Last edited:
That phrase in their statement "with your encouragement", did they genuinely think the public were going to applaud them?

That is apparently what they did think--that they had the popular support of "the people."

I think they lost much of it yesterday, by their sheer arrogance and disrespect.

Am not sure there is any point in HM (decently) seeking an accommodation for Harry and Meghan.

Down here in royalist Herefordshire the mood against them is pretty sulphurous.

That is apparently what they did think--that they had the popular support of "the people."

I think they lost much of it yesterday, by their sheer arrogance and disrespect.

"Kings of people's heart"
Remember anything ?

The Palace needs to get the story straight. First no one knew, then they kind of knew. Now it is it was known but there was no solid plan. Not a good look.

The two situations bolded are basically the same thing.

I certainly wonder about the authenticity of this "Breaking News" but it's not out of the realm of possibility, either. However, if this is true, then I hope that this isn't an indication that the Queen or any of the royal households have any intention of bending to the will of Harry and Meghan. There's absolutely nothing about any of this that should cause them to feel as though they have let H & M "win" after the way they've handled this. I'm not British so I can't say that I speak with for the British people but I'm almost certain that allowing their demands to be met and bending to their will would not be seen as a positive development.

I’m not worried about that. I would imagine that the Queen, Charles, etc... will lay out the potential options for Harry and Meaghan. They’re going to have to choose which of the things they want are most important to them; I suspect that each choice comes with sacrifices. I suspect that the Queen isn’t giving much latitude to the Sussexes.

People Magazine is reporting that Archie has remained in Canada while Harry and Meghan have been in London to drop their bombshell. If that's true then it lends a whole other element to their plans and says quiet clearly that they're planning to bolt within a matter of days.
https://people.com/royals/prince-ha...rchie-remained-in-canada-amid-palace-shakeup/

It also tells me that they knew that this was all going to blow up, that they intended to cause a stir..

Last edited by a moderator:
"Kings of people's heart"
Remember anything ?

I think of Harry being like Diana is not missed on a lot of people. They both admitted to having mental health needs. Heck we all have mental health needs but both of theirs has seemingly been exasperated by their toxic transactions with the press. Diana met Charles. A man without nurturing parents who needed a nurturing wife. She was a damaged child from a complex background and too needed a nurturing partner to provide her with one way emotional support. The relationship was a disaster. William through look I guess met a very nurturing wife and gained in-laws early. Harry met Meghan and unfortunately that relationship has led to a complex public perception and one where both have looked increasingly fragile but also conversely increasingly entitled and volatile and lashing out in public to get what they want. They have a millennial attitude to getting what they want and getting it now. There is no long game and to be honest Meghan and Harry are older millennials anyway. It is all very unfortunate.

Another thing about the website statements is that despite their best efforts they come across as elitist-----and if they are targeting a wide US audience, that isn't good. If their target audience is limited to wealthy Americans that want to rub shoulders with second-tier royals, well congratulations, well done.

Americans love underdogs striving in the face of adversity. Right now in the royal world that description better fits the York princesses. They are just as interesting, just as fashionable, and royal by blood. I would not be surprised to see their favorable press coverage in the US grow this year. Just a thought.

It also tells me that they knew that this was all going to blow up, that they intended to cause a stir..

Yes. It looks very much to me as though they couldn't be bothered to do the work to come up with an actual, viable, well-thought out plan, and that their post was an attempt to force the Queen and the PoW to knuckle under and give them what they want. They think they are in the right, that no other considerations are to be taken seriously, and that they are entitled to everything they have demanded. I also suspect that the swift timing on this is because they already have contracts, appearances or project roll outs that are upcoming shortly.

I can't begin to express how disillusioned I am with this pair right now, although I'm inclined to put a large share of the blame on Harry. I'd be thrilled beyond belief to be wrong, but when I think about how many people, myself included, have expressed concerns about the way H and M were handling things over the last three years, and how often we were proven to be correct, I'm not hopeful.

Shameful behaviour by members of the palaces. How awful that Harry & Meghan are continuously put in a position where they cannot trust those who should be supportive. They were told to put their proposal down on a paper & as soon as they did the information was leaked. There needs to be massive firing of staff who have no sense of professionalism!

Tom Bradby said the palaces were definitely not blindsided, Harry & Meghan were cooperative & doing as asked. Unfortunately there are others who would rather sell out to tabloid press, the same corrupt media that are currently being sued by the Sussexes & others. The BRF and or their staff, supporting dishonest, unethical media organizations is truly disgusting!

Latest YouGov poll has 46% of the population supporting H&M’s decision and 26% against according to Channel 4 news tonight.

He's not interested in the army etc or some other proper job like a pilot, they want to lead the Bono or Angelina Jolie life, do-gooders on a global stage, Bono's base for fame is being a musician, Jolie being an actress and they are royal and they need to stay royal to stay interesting. But there is a difference that they don't understand because there is public money involved. I guess that was Meghan's plan all along, she needed Harry to come from small time actress to get to the global stage to grace the world with her virtues, but she never understood that the royal idea is different, it's enormous privilege against duty and public service. You cannot have one without the other, therefore it will all end in tears. It will work with a celebrity A Lister, but not with a British Prince.
I just can't believe how full they are of themselves.
Right you are!

I'm guessing there will be quite a few either/or decisions made. For example, "if you keep your HRH, commercial ventures are not an option" and "if you're moving away from the Sovereign Grant and the "Firm", you will be expected to pay the going rent on the Crown Estate property you live in" and even "If you decide to split your residence between the UK and another country, Harry will have to forfeit his position as a Councillor of State". Either/Or. No half measures with picking and choosing this or that.

I think that is inevitable.
If they are allowed to keep their titles, they will most likely commercialize them.

(And to think, the Middletons were accused of "cashing in" when they put some royal memorabilia on their website. They were strictly small-time compared to this).

Latest YouGov poll has 46% of the population supporting H&M’s decision and 26% against according to Channel 4 news tonight.

Interesting, it means that, unlike what some here think, their engagements next week (if they are still on) might be quite popular.

Harry hasn't been happy for a long time well before he met Meghan. They said they would continue to support the The Queen , Prince Charles, and the Duke of Cambridge. Along with doing their duties. I think they will be able to have a life they want away from Britain and raise their son and any other children.
The important part would be 'they said'. From the BP statements (and the subsequent reports) it is clear nothing has been arranged so far. H&M have expressed their wish but have not explained yet how things will work out and how they think to make things work.

First it is claimed no one was told. Now today everyone new and Harry ignored them and announce it any way. Please I don't believe half the crap. I don' think this was a secret I don't see Harry doing that so no everyone new it was coming.The only one's who didn't know were the one's not in on the discussions.
BP was very clear that they knew about 'the desire' but that all was in 'an early stage'. Nonetheless, H&M had spent considerable time designing a website and preparing lots of questions about what they would like and had the guts to release it instead of first reaching an agreement with the Firm. In addition, anyone with some knowledge of how British royal life works, would know that their plan - which was in some ways very detailed (what they want) and in others not clear at all (how they are going to support themselves and how they can assure that their various intended roles would be compatible) - was not a feasible option.

I don't believe they didn't know about the announcement. I don't see Harry doing anything that would hurt his Grandmother.
I would think they can live both in England and North America and continue to do their royal duties. It does not sound like they are quitting just redefining how and where they will work.

I agree with you, Muhler! But I feel that their IG posting was the question to have more talks and to be taken more seriously. They dedicated their website to the service for HM the queen. And they spoke of their "intent" to step down as senior Royals - not that they do it. Just like it was "intended" for Camilla to become the Princess Consort when we all knew that Charles would never do anything to make it happen.
Apparently they told the PoW and the DoC 10 minutes before publishing it online. The statement itself was premature but their website publicly showing their 'demands' made things much worse.

Last edited:
Shameful behaviour by members of the palaces. How awful that Harry & Meghan are continuously put in a position where they cannot trust those who should be supportive. They were told to put their proposal down on a paper & as soon as they did the information was leaked. There needs to be massive firing of staff who have no sense of professionalism!

Tom Bradby said the palaces were definitely not blindsided, Harry & Meghan were cooperative & doing as asked. Unfortunately there are others who would rather sell out to tabloid press, the same corrupt media that are currently being sued by the Sussexes & others. The BRF and or their staff, supporting dishonest, unethical media organizations is truly disgusting!

And a website that had been thrown together at the last minute, I don't think so, this has been in the planning for months.
What is wrong with the family asking them to think carefully about what they were doing and to have plans in place before the public announcement.

I believe they have gambled that the public would go with them, I personally think that is a mistake. The public are angry at their greed, arrogance and total disrespect for the 93 year old monarch who has served this country all her life.
His mother made the same mistake,

I can't begin to express how disillusioned I am with this pair right now, although I'm inclined to put a large share of the blame on Harry.

If I remember it right, then he was quoted at the beginning of the relationship with Meghan, that the Windsors would be the family, she never had...

He was the experienced Gentleman back then, the guy, who knew how to deal with the press and all this and she mainly the girl "from the country".

Now he is losing his family and she is the experienced playeress, who knows how to deal with advertisement contracts and endorsements.

I am not saying, Harry is the loser here, but he will live now in Meghan's world...

Their website is what really threw me over the edge. They sound incredibly self-entitled and self-absorbed! The Queen deserves better than this. They should be stripped of the HRH, told to pay market-rate rent on Frogmore Cottage, and prohibited from cashing in on "Sussex Royal" memorabilia.

Let's remember the words of Queen Mary "the Crown must always win".

After that appalling "documentary" by Tom Bradby, I view anything he says with skepticism. He has his own agenda and is not a reliable source.

What Harry & Meghan want/demand is not feasible. BP. CH and KP are not shameful, Harry & Meghan's attitude is shameful.

Because Tom Bradby is totally neutral in all this.

Pretty awful that a 93 year woman who has sacrificed a lot for this institution is treated like this by her own grandson. I think it's unfair to blame the BRF.

They've had a very tough time and I absolutely support their right to take a different path. But I don't think they are totally innocent and the manner of this announcement is ungracious to say the least.

Do you think that Prince Harry and Meghan might buy a house and property in the United States?

The important part would be 'they said'. From the BP statements (and the subsequent reports) it is clear nothing has been arranged so far. H&M have expressed their wish but have not explained yet how things will work out and how they think to make things work.

BP was very clear that they knew about 'the desire' but that all was in 'an early stage'. Nonetheless, H&M had spent considerable time designing a website and preparing lots of questions about what they would like and had the guts to release it instead of first reaching an agreement with the Firm. In addition, anyone with some knowledge of how British royal life works, would know that their plan - which was in some ways very detailed (what they want) and in others not clear at all (how they are going to support themselves and how they can assure that their various intended roles would be compatible) - was not a feasible option.

Apparently they told the PoW and the DoC 10 minutes before publishing it online. The statement itself was premature but their website publicly showing their 'demands' made things much worse.

They want to earn their own money but still have some of the perks of royal life, like the rent free cottage, the police protection, then they will do royal duties when they feel like it. They have mistaken how popular they are.
This has been well thought out by not taking the sovereign grant they think they do not need to answer to the royal family.

Over the last few months I have been critical of this couple, to be honest lots of little things that were not going to change the world but the underlying thread was they will do things their way, they have shown absolutely no respect to the queen. They were allowed to get away with too much, they now think they can dictate what happens next.
This is a pivotal moment for the monarchy.

Every event they tried to control ended up a bigger drama than required, I am not going to re hash them, we all know the events.

The Sussex Royal website was designed by a Toronto-based firm called "Article" Here is their website and they are already cashing-in on the royal connections by using the Megan and Harry monogram on their site of "clients" … Clearly this is what they spent their time in Canada doing!

https://madebyarticle.com/

A different picture emerges with the rest of the poll:

63% think that H and M should no longer receive any money from the Duchy of Cornwall. The data in that poll indicates to me that almost half of the public are fine with Harry and Meghan stepping back from royal duties, which is not at all the same as thinking they should get everything they want.

Do you think that Prince Harry and Meghan might buy a house and property in the United States?

That has been rumoured for months, but of course it was put down to nasty tabloids telling lies about them.

Back to the issue. The racism has been there since day 1. Remember Harry's statement when they started dating? Remember when more people had to be hired to police the social media accounts? At that time someone official (senior staff of senior family member) needed to speak out officially and publicly. That done and the current situation is probably not here.

Of course racism was there from the start, of course classism, anti americanism were also there from the start.
But, and i'm sorry to say that, knowing, alas, the human nature : it was expected ! And Meghan from her interesting, very public and social media fuelled background knew exactly what to expect, the best and the worse, by entering into the BRF !
I don't understand, we were repeated again and again that Meghan was a very strong woman Michelle Obama style, that she would overcome hands down all the difficulties, that she was an activist with strong views etc ... And you know what i would have adored a strong figure like that in the BRF. But then something was off. The strong woman morphed into a fragile, self -pitying girl apparently terribly unhappy with the restrictions of her status, merely 2 years after her wedding.
I can hear it was difficult, i can hear that racism fuelled by social medias is unbearable but again wat did you expect by entering into the BRF ? Is it naivety? unpreparation ? A wake up call that the fairy tale was not as idyllic as it seemed ? But clearly some priorities have suddendly changed ...

Well based on the new reports it appears Harry spoke briefly to The Queen and Charles over this break to talk about this transition. It seems he was a bit brushed off over it and I would guess grew frustrated? That seems to be the angle we are getting now.

Interesting points in the Jobson article - sounds like basically H&M told the immediate family "we want out" as they neared the end of their 6-week break in Canada, and the response was "well, come up with a plan as to how this is going to work and we'll talk when you get home." What they have come up with is not, as many here have pointed out, a plan but rather a wishlist. So, they were, again, told "no meetings with Pa or Granny until you can show us how this is going to work, how are all of these issues addressed." And they were specifically told that HM would not discuss the Sussex plans until they had worked out most of the details with the POW. Yesterday's bombshell announcement and website reveal was basically H&M having a very public temper tantrum that they weren't being given their way automatically but instead being asked to really think about all those details and figure out exactly how it would work within the confines of the monarchy and continuing to support HM and their Commonwealth roles. None of what HM or the POW were asking for was unreasonable. What is unreasonable is just how petulantly H&M have handled all of this.

Given that the DoSs apparently only arrived back in the UK this weekend, it seems rather unreasonable that suddenly everyone had to abolish all what they planned to do this week to discuss a very immature plan within days. So yes, to me it also seemed a very reasonable request to work things out a little further, take the time to discuss it thoroughly to make sure everything is done in the best interest of both the couple and the firm. However, that ship has sailed. Now drastic decisions will have to be made within days; while there seems to be no urgency when we are talking about changing the course of a duty that expected to last a life time. A few more weeks or months seems reasonable to make sure all works out for the best. However, days is what they got...

It's also interesting to see that the queen clearly sees this is something that will mainly impact the future reign, so has Charles handle this before she is willing to sign off on anything. Regarding Andrew, reports were also that Charles was clearly very much involved in the decision-making and I can see how the queen is happy to let him resolve these complicated issues and then discuss it with her.

I don't know that I think Meghan is driving all of this. Harry has expressed the desire to just "run away from it all" many times in the past. At best, one could characterize Meghan as enabling all of this, simply by asking Harry "why do we have to do this again?" She's a smart, capable woman who has made her own way in the world for much of her life, and lived quite fearlessly and confidently. She strikes me as the type of person who is a change agent - she refuses to be miserable and takes action to change her circumstances. I can see her influencing Harry to be more proactive rather than reactive.

I do think the tabloid press' mistreatment of Meghan is a factor but it's not the only one. It was pretty clear, last year, when their press team was moved from KP to BP and the rumors about them wanting and being denied their own household on the same level as BP, CH, and KP, that they didn't understand/recognize they were simply a younger version of HM's younger children and their destiny was to be along the lines of the Wessexes. They simply believed their star would always shine as brightly as the Cambridge star, which isn't the way the BRF works.

In that vein, I can believe that the latest portrait of the direct line of succession might very well have been "the final straw" as reported by Wooton in The Sun yesterday. They might very well have felt that this was a very passive-aggressive slap in the face to them, that the rest of the family simply do not understand their star power and that Harry & family will always be extra-special, because he is one of Diana's boys, and how dare BP, CH, and KP disregard this in favor of highlighting the direct line of succession, especially while continuing to rely upon H&M to carry on as "senior royals"? It might seem illogical to those of us observing all this as it plays out but emotions aren't always logical.
I sincerely hope someone has been able to explain in the last couple of years how a monarchy works. Their is the main line of direct heirs; and the support cast of those closely related to that direct line. They get a lot of the perks and less of the burden of the royal life; and can to some extend carve their own destiny unlike the direct line. Of course, that also means they are not supposed to take central stage but can focus on bringing about good in the areas they care about and supporting the institution to the best of their abilities in addition to that.

Over the last 2 years a clear specific role had been created for H&M to be able to take on lots of responsibilities related to the Commonwealth and they were able to start lots of projects in areas they care about. All because Harry is the queen's grandson and the PoW's son. However, there are indeed also some restrictions and one of them is that you are not supposed to blatantly profit financially from your position (other than all the financial benefits you already have and all the perks you receive because you are treated differently because of your position etc). Something that apparently was important to them; next to being able to do as they please both in terms of work and media approach.

I hope some sort of solution can be found. Prince Philip was looking very frail at Christmas. It always used to feel as if the Queen Mother would live for ever, but nobody does, and a split in the family is the last thing that the Queen and Prince Philip need. It was very unwise and thoughtless of Harry and Meghan to go public with this before coming to some sort of agreement. Could they not have waited a few weeks, or even a few months?

Yes. It looks very much to me as though they couldn't be bothered to do the work to come up with an actual, viable, well-thought out plan, and that their post was an attempt to force the Queen and the PoW to knuckle under and give them what they want. They think they are in the right, that no other considerations are to be taken seriously, and that they are entitled to everything they have demanded. I also suspect that the swift timing on this is because they already have contracts, appearances or project roll outs that are upcoming shortly.

I can't begin to express how disillusioned I am with this pair right now, although I'm inclined to put a large share of the blame on Harry. I'd be thrilled beyond belief to be wrong, but when I think about how many people, myself included, have expressed concerns about the way H and M were handling things over the last three years, and how often we were proven to be correct, I'm not hopeful.

I think that Meghan and Harry are playing on the sympathies of the public - they likely expected full support, maybe with the Queen, Charles and the BRF in general as “bad” guys, especially Charles as the public is iffy on him. I’m still pissed off at Meaghan for whining that no one asks if she’s ok - that was a broadside directed at the BRF, and considering how much the Queen and Charles have done for her, incredibly nervy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom