The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I hope the Sussexes will at least visit the UK in private but it seems that, judging from the tone of their statement when they said that Archie will have "an appreciation" for his royal background, they won't be spending much time in the UK at all. Which is a shame for George, Charlotte and Louis as they won't get to see their cousin much (though at least they seem to be close with the Tindall and Phillips children), and particularly as well for Prince Philip and HM, who are getting older so sadly won't have many years left of enjoying time with Archie. On the flip side, though, they are still keeping Frogmore so hopefully this means they will be planning more visits.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-22-2020, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

This whole debacle has been most unfortunate. Whilst HM have every right to retreat form royal life, and HMQ has handled it perfectly, they picture HM paint is a desperate one. They seem so detached from reality. Most people who are struggling with family life and hate their jobs don't have the option of just picking up and moving away to a secluded island. It sends a horrible message to people struggling everywhere. I'm disappointing in them, and disappointment can only come when you care, so I hope they realize how much the royal family and public do care about them.

However I think the reaction of the British press to HM will be something that will be looked back on with embarrassment. The misogyny and bigotry is rife and ppl are in such denial about it its borderline hilarious. Between Brexit, Megxit, Scottish Nationalism, the Queens impending demise, the UK really needs to self-reflect on what kind of nation they are and want to be.

I do worry for Harry though. Meghan was fine before Harry and will be fine without Harry but the Duke has given up everything he's known for her. That's not a healthy sign in a relationship. While I wish them the best and hope they find peace I worry that Harry is on track to becoming Meghan's father. A sad lonely man detached from his whole family. But thats just me being a pessimist, hopefully this new life for them will only bring them joy and a happy, successful marriage.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I hope the Sussexes will at least visit the UK in private but it seems that, judging from the tone of their statement when they said that Archie will have "an appreciation" for his royal background, they won't be spending much time in the UK at all. Which is a shame for George, Charlotte and Louis as they won't get to see their cousin much (though at least they seem to be close with the Tindall and Phillips children), and particularly as well for Prince Philip and HM, who are getting older so sadly won't have many years left of enjoying time with Archie. On the flip side, though, they are still keeping Frogmore so hopefully this means they will be planning more visits.
Nor for Charles, either...people forget that he’s in his 70’s, so while he could have many years left, he’s not young. He himself never got to know his grandfather as George VI died in his early 50’s, so the fact that he won’t get to know Archie is terribly sad...

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will pay towards their own security if they are commercially successful, in a model echoing Tony Blair’s own arrangements.

The couple are offering a contribution towards their security bill, currently funded by taxpayers, after they complete their transition from working Royals.

A well-placed source said the couple planned to reimburse the taxpayer for security provided on private business engagements with no Royal connection.

The source said the payment model would be similar to one that was put in place for Mr Blair, who has earned millions of pounds travelling the world brokering a variety of deals.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...box=1579729969
Old 01-22-2020, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Nor for Charles, either...people forget that he’s in his 70’s, so while he could have many years left, he’s not young. He himself never got to know his grandfather as George VI died in his early 50’s, so the fact that he won’t get to know Archie is terribly sad...
Yes, very true. It's pretty sad for the family. Charles seems to be close to his sons so it'll be a shame for him that he won't get to see Archie as much as usual.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I don't think he'll ever get to know Archie. Meghan isn't going back to the UK. That means Archie isn't either. She left him behind with friends this last time she went back and she didn't even go back for the talks with the queen.

Meghan doesn't even have contact with her own family. With the exception of her mother relatives on both sides have never met Archie. So why would she let Harry's family have contact with him?
Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
a model echoing Tony Blair’s own arrangements.
IF this is [remotely] accurate it proves just how detached from ANY reality this deluded couple are !

If they are seen to 'take lessons' from him [on any subject] they are finished in this Country.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I don't think he'll ever get to know Archie. Meghan isn't going back to the UK. That means Archie isn't either. She left him behind with friends this last time she went back and she didn't even go back for the talks with the queen.

Meghan doesn't even have contact with her own family. With the exception of her mother relatives on both sides have never met Archie. So why would she let Harry's family have contact with him?
Harry is Archie’s father; she doesn’t get to unilaterally decide if Archie gets to know his family...and if Harry allows her to make that decision, he’s as guilty as she is
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Majesty

[...] if Blair'es paying for his own protection good for him...
Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:

And if they are not "commercially successful", will Charles pay for it ?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Will pay towards their own security - how much? A pound? A million pounds? You may love or hate Tony Blair but he started and finished the job he was paid to do. Harry quit.

His security shouldn't be compared to Tony Blair, a former PM, but to his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie. As I recall they were stripped of their security - not because they quit but because the British public didn't want to pay for security for lesser members of the royal family.

I don't know how that works now - are they still paying for their own security? I remember when it was stripped the Mail Online posted a picture of them looking frightened sitting alone in a pub without any security.

But if Beatrice and Eugenie are paying for their own security then Harry and Meghan should be too.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
And if they are not "commercially successful", will Charles pay for it ?

If they aren’t successful, they might have to move in with him, lol, just like so many adult children in America do, lol
Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I don't think they'll ever take Archie back to the UK. It occurs to me that Meghan knows about the rule that says the Queen gets to have say over what happens to her grandchildren so that's the last the Queen or Charles will see Archie.

I don't know that Meghan will ever go back either. I think that Harry will if these occasions come up.

We'll see what they do.
I have no clue if Meghan will be coming back to the UK (the theory that she’ll never set foot on UK soil again strikes me as overwrought), but this idea about custody of Archie is insane.

Do people actually think The Queen would take Archie from Harry and Meghan or bar his departure from the UK? Why? What would be the benefit to her and why would it outweigh the inevitable blowback and bad publicity?

We have no idea how frequently Harry and Meghan will be back to the UK, but the idea that the Queen would assert custody and prevent Archie from leaving the country is beyond silly.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling3763 View Post
I have no clue if Meghan will be coming back to the UK (the theory that she’ll never set foot on UK soil again strikes me as overwrought), but this idea about custody of Archie is insane.

Do people actually think The Queen would take Archie from Harry and Meghan or bar his departure from the UK? Why? What would be the benefit to her and why would it outweigh the inevitable blowback and bad publicity?

We have no idea how frequently Harry and Meghan will be back to the UK, but the idea that the Queen would assert custody and prevent Archie from leaving the country is beyond silly.

I didn't say the queen would - I said that Meghan might think the Queen might. And the fact that she left Archie in Canada for the five minutes she showed up in the UK tells me that she probably isn't going to take Archie to the UK anytime soon.

Harry might speak up and take him there himself - but at the moment he's pretty much doing what Meghan wants. So I doubt it will be in the near future.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 PM
Courtier

Lilyflo, thanks for posting that chart.
It shows that, by far, the Millennials differ most from all other groups in society in their opinions about who they like.

Harry and Meghan are highest in popularity in the Millennial age range too. Harry and Meghan will, no doubt, tailor their new roles and opportunities around statistics like that when they are designing their business.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Actually that one varies. It was being discussed a while back under an article about Angelina Jolie. Her kids get papped all the time and no one blurs their faces. Apple Paltrow on the other hand had her face blurred for years - it's only recently that you can see her unblurred.

I was told it depended on what the parents did. If you never let anyone take your child's photo willingly you could go to court and insist the pictures be blurred. That's what Gweneth Paltrow did for years. Then she started using Apple's picture on her goop website and all bets were off.

Angelina on the other hand sold her children's pictures at birth. Even though she gave the money to charity she couldn't demand they blur the pictures since she'd put them out there.

I'm not sure where Archie would fall in this. They have put his picture out there but not for commercial gain.
I'm not sure how law "varies." Not everyone is caught of course. But it's the law. Just as in Great Britain, not all laws are enforced effectively.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...of-the-picture

Further, the State Supreme Court has upheld the Princess Diana law (criminal penalties for those who commit any vehicular infraction while attempting to photo a celebrity)

Of course, we also allow medical marijuana for school children.

And zoning laws that, if understood properly by the celebrity buyer (who has a good lawyer and real estate agent) make it so that a great deal of privacy can be purchased.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, Thank You. Canada does not have millions of dollars to waste on security for private individuals who might repay if they are successful. Take this "deal" and see if you can find a bank that will loan you the money to pay for your security in exchange for repayment if you meet your definition of successful
Old 01-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
No, Thank You. Canada does not have millions of dollars to waste on security for private individuals who might repay if they are successful. Take this "deal" and see if you can find a bank that will loan you the money to pay for your security in exchange for repayment if you meet your definition of successful
I couldn't read the rest of the article as I don't have the premium subscription to the Telegraph; is that what was suggested?

There's this:

Quote:
More than 80,000 Canadians have signed a petition demanding that Prince Harry and Meghan pay for their own security as the cost of Megxit continued to spiral.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/107999...-pay-security/

Lastly, might I advise Oprah to bone up on the facts before making comments in favor of her buddies? Unfortunately our TV happened to be on Entertainment Tonight, one of those American celebrity/entertainment shows, and there was a clip of Oprah saying that the BRF wasn't blindsided, that they knew about Harry and Meghan's plans for months.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/107999...-pay-security/

Lastly, might I advise Oprah to bone up on the facts before making comments in favor of her buddies? Unfortunately our TV happened to be on Entertainment Tonight, one of those American celebrity/entertainment shows, and there was a clip of Oprah saying that the BRF wasn't blindsided, that they knew about Harry and Meghan's plans for months.
Even the MP for the area they live in has said that they should pay for their own security. At this point, if the government insists on paying for their security, I suspect Trudeau will be out of a job soon.

Oprah is not, and has not ever been in the business of presenting facts. She has an financial investment in Harry and Meghan being successful--Harry has at the very least collaborated with her on something regarding mental health. She is trying to do what she can to ensure that these collaborations are a ratings success and make her money.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Even the MP for the area they live in has said that they should pay for their own security. At this point, if the government insists on paying for their security, I suspect Trudeau will be out of a job soon.

The Canadian government has not said that it will pay for their security. All the PM said is that he had not had a conversation with the Queen about it. Some are stirring this pot for political reasons, not because of they care or do not care about Meghan and Harry. I wish people would "keep calm and carry on" until the facts are known.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post

I do worry for Harry though. Meghan was fine before Harry and will be fine without Harry but the Duke has given up everything he's known for her. That's not a healthy sign in a relationship. While I wish them the best and hope they find peace I worry that Harry is on track to becoming Meghan's father. A sad lonely man detached from his whole family. But thats just me being a pessimist, hopefully this new life for them will only bring them joy and a happy, successful marriage.
While I agree with some of your thoughts, I have more faith than you seem to in Harry & Meghan as a young couple with positive goals and worthy aspirations.

I think that Harry and Meghan have both made tremendous sacrifices for each other and for the health of their relationship. With the birth of their son, apparently they became determined to forge a happier life together, free of the more confining constraints of royal life. In particular, there was scant publicly vocal support by Harry's family against the media tirade that has relentlessly targeted Meghan. Harry may have found that difficult to swallow.

As we know, Harry made clear in his recent speech to Sentebale supporters that ultimately he is the one who made this decision for his family.

It's sad about M's father, but there's no accounting for how demons can swallow people whole. Harry has his own personality, which I doubt is anything like that of M's father. OTOH, I believe that young Archie is showing signs of likely taking after senior Markle's large frame. Archie is such a big baby for 8 1/2 months old -- he will probably grow taller and larger of frame than Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
Its really so sad to think that just 18 months ago Megan and Harry s wedding was such a huge brilliant event .... the weather was perfect.... the wedding was televised all around the world .

There was such a feel good factor towards Megan and Harry ..... and then May 2019 ... the birth of Archie....
It was all set fair ... they were the new Charles and Di ready to tour the world as ambassadors.... the new glamorous Royals...

How did it all go so wrong ?
I remember that in June 2019 the weather was grim in the UK .... the wettest June on record..... Maybe Megan took a look around and thought of the warmth and blue skies of California and thought.... Im outa here....

She is obviously too independent and self willed to conform to life in the Royal Family .....
its just not her scene....
Well, looking back, the palace leaks to the press and the negative stories against Meghan's character began as soon as M&H returned from their hugely successful and publicly well-received South Pacific tour.

So apparently, not everyone has had the same expectations as you, nor have viewed Harry & Meghan in the same light you are describing. Let's also remember that Charles & Di did not really have a great relationship or understanding of each other from the very beginning of their ill-fated union.

There was commentary last fall by a high profile RR that M&H needed to 'dim' their light, whatever that means.

Closed Thread