The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Unfortunately the tabloids do go for the sensational in order to sell more papers/earn more clicks.

Camilla, Catherine, Sophie, Sarah Ferguson, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and others in the family have faced similar "outrageous, vicious, and even untruthful" coverage in the tabloids.

It still doesn't make it alright.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I am not a fan of his but he has certainly nailed it these two. The speech was disingenuous considering the reality of their actions. They have no one to blame but themselves and their unrealistic expectations. Obviously, they still don't get it.
I expected nothing less:
- Playing the victim, check
- Mentioning Diana, check

There was another option, Harry chose to quit after his delusional demands, published on his website before consulting with the BRF protagonists, were not met. Who in a sane mind, let alone Harry, who grew up in royal life, can expect to pick and chose, do the sexy events only and leave the bread and butter to others, while residing abroad and the taxpayers picking up the bill? Only the thought is very worrying with regard to entitlement.
I am glad that the royal blackmailers were sent packing, good luck with a new peaceful life outside and without the protection of the royal system, its all that Harry has ever known. Another cage is waiting, only different restrictions and rules.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:14 PM
Nobility

[...]

Was she treated disgustingly by some elements of the press? Yes. Was she cruelly attacked even to the point of racism by some people on social media? Yes. Yes she was. But she was ALWAYS greeted with nothing but adulation and goodwill by people in public, to her face. So IMHO people need to stop saying the public treated her awfully because it's demonstrably not true at all.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
The British royals are a bit of a historical anomaly. Most countries that still have officially recognized royal families aren't in Europe, and those royal families aren't ceremonial or symbolic - they actually run the country.

I guess you don't know much about Europe when you state it this way.
We do have the following monarchies and they are all democracies, even Liechtenstein!

UK

Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Belgium
The Netherlands
Luxembourg
Spain
Andorra (that is a real anomaly...)
Liechtenstein
Monaco

Vatican (with the Pope being the Prince regnant)

And IMHO the British press is the one who needed to be reigned it!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I guess you don't know much about Europe when you state it this way.
We do have the following monarchies and they are all democracies, even Liechtenstein!

UK

Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Belgium
The Netherlands
Luxembourg
Spain
Andorra (that is a real anomaly...)
Liechtenstein
Monaco

Vatican (with the Pope being the Prince regnant)

And IMHO the British press is the one who needed to be reigned it!
I think you misunderstood my post. I said most monarchies weren't in Europe, not all. There are far more non-European, non-democratic monarchies than that, and reining in the press because it's hurting the feelings of a member of the royal family is a terrible road to go down.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Yes but there are numerous constitutional monarchies in Europe..
Old 01-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
It still doesn't make it alright.
No, you're right, it doesn't. It's awful. It should not happen. The press is awful and it behaves like there's no rules, like there's no line they shouldn't cross and it's disgusting.

That said, when I see someone from BRF staring at a journalist, with tears in their eyes, telling them they expected the press coverage to be fair, I want to call bull... Because either that's the biggest lie they told in their life - and it is being told with some kind of agenda - or they were completely, utterly not prepared during the relationship or the engagement period.

The press is unfair to everyone. They live off showing their weird version of half truth-half lie in a way that will be the most sensational, the most hurtful. Expecting them to "be fair" is ridiculous and since I think Meghan is very intelligent, she knew the press will be unfair. She might've not known to what extent and how awful will it be, but I bet she didn't think the press will be fair.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Be that as it may.. it IS 'the way of the World', and an actress as aware as Ms Markle must have known it, or [at any rate] researched it, when considering her future - she CANNOT have been ignorant either of the Tabloids power, or their interest in the BRF [and anyone who married into it..

That suggests to me either she thought she 'could handle it', or that it suited a long term plan - to 'raise her profile' to the point where her ambition to 'change/improve' the World were possible, as it simply wasn't as an obscure actress in a Canadian Soap..

No, it's not the way of the world, it's the way of the BRITISH tabloids. We don't have a tabloid culture in the United States and I don't believe Canada does.

Yes, we have tabloids but they aren't our highest circulating newspapers as they are in the UK. Both the United States and Canada dwarf the UK in geographic size and because of that we have many more newspapers to choose from, therefore we do not all read the same newspapers, and one, two, or three newspapers do not dominate our media, as they do in the UK.

Believe it or not, contrary to what you seem to think, not everyone outside the UK pays very much attention to it, or even knows much about it, including the tabloids, the RF, or the tabloid's interest in the RF. They're simply of no interest to many of us.

Harry did discuss the intense media scrutiny with Meghan before the engagement and she has stated her friends warned her about the tabloids. But we don't know how seriously she took it, smitten and in love as she was.

But I do think the two of them should have found a way to deal with the scrutiny, asked others including the Cambridges, whatever it took. Some posters have speculated they isolated themselves & nursed their wounds, without turning to others for help. Unfortunately, I suspect that is what happened.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

It was confirmed that they would be spending most of their time in North America.

Quote:
A royal spokesperson confirmed to NBC News that "from Spring onwards the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be spending the majority of their time in North America." The spokesperson did not provide more detail on potential locations.

Source
Old 01-20-2020, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Please note that a number of posts relating to the education of members of the Royal Family have been deleted since no valid connection to the topic of the thread appears apparent. Let's stay on topic and avoid going down arbitrary pathways in the discussion.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
No, you're right, it doesn't. It's awful. It should not happen. The press is awful and it behaves like there's no rules, like there's no line they shouldn't cross and it's disgusting.

That said, when I see someone from BRF staring at a journalist, with tears in their eyes, telling them they expected the press coverage to be fair, I want to call bull... Because either that's the biggest lie they told in their life - and it is being told with some kind of agenda - or they were completely, utterly not prepared during the relationship or the engagement period.

The press is unfair to everyone. They live off showing their weird version of half truth-half lie in a way that will be the most sensational, the most hurtful. Expecting them to "be fair" is ridiculous and since I think Meghan is very intelligent, she knew the press will be unfair. She might've not known to what extent and how awful will it be, but I bet she didn't think the press will be fair.
Its not like they don't have tabloids in America, for goodness sake.. and they are wildly crazy and inaccurate. They are not nice but they are not meant to be taken seriously...
I agree about Meghan.. except that Im not sure she is that intelligent. If she realaly "didn't know much about the tabloids" or felt they would be fair as she insinuated. Harry msut have told her what the popular press is like and that it does not play fair, esp towards royals . I always thought that she didn't know that much about the UK and might find ti hard to adjust..and that's proved the case. Perhaps she's right, to give up trying to adjust and move out..but she might have spared herself trouble if she had known a bit more form the start...
Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I expected nothing less:
- Playing the victim, check
- Mentioning Diana, check

There was another option, Harry chose to quit after his delusional demands, published on his website before consulting with the BRF protagonists, were not met. Who in a sane mind, let alone Harry, who grew up in royal life, can expect to pick and chose, do the sexy events only and leave the bread and butter to others, while residing abroad and the taxpayers picking up the bill? Only the thought is very worrying with regard to entitlement.
I am glad that the royal blackmailers were sent packing, good luck with a new peaceful life outside and without the protection of the royal system, its all that Harry has ever known. Another cage is waiting, only different restrictions and rules.
Ahh, but they did think if they didn't take the Sovereign Grant money, which amounted to only 5% of their income, that it would be okay. It was right there in their original plan.

The Sovereign Grant income that was only paid to them for the expenses of their official duties for the Queen.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Posts comparing to Harry and William and posts generalizing British people have been deleted.

Let's please move on from the discussion about the tabloids...it’s starting to take over the thread. Any additional off-topic comments will be deleted.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
It was confirmed that they would be spending most of their time in North America.
I'll stick with what the Queen said at this point as opposed to yet another un-named source.

....."It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.".......

LaRae
Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'll stick with what the Queen said at this point as opposed to yet another un-named source.

....."It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.".......

LaRae
That’s fair. You can stick with whatever you like. Just posting what a reputable news outlet has reported from their contact with a royal spokesperson.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Maybe she should have talked to Princess Anne? The more Anne told the press to “Shove It”, the more the people liked her.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
The statement from the Queen is consistent with the statement from the royal spokesperson. Both quotes indicate that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will divide their time between Europe and North America. The Queen's statement references the transition period which is planned to end in spring, while the statement of the spokesperson references the period after the transition ends, starting from spring onwards, and gives more detail about the division of time.

I concur with soapstar that confirmation from a royal spokesperson carries more weight than an unnamed source.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Maybe she should have talked to Princess Anne? The more Anne told the press to “Shove It”, the more the people liked her.
No one messes with Anne. She is a strong no nonsense woman who is dedicated and works very hard for her mother and the Crown. She is the type of person who would have told them both to quit whining and get on with it.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I can imagine Anne would probably just say, "oh get on with it"!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The statement from the Queen is consistent with the statement from the royal spokesperson. Both quotes indicate that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will divide their time between Europe and North America. The Queen's statement references the transition period which is planned to end in spring, while the statement of the spokesperson references the period after the transition ends, starting from spring onwards, and gives more detail about the division of time.

I concur with soapstar that confirmation from a royal spokesperson carries more weight than an unnamed source.

I don't consider an unnamed royal source talked about by the Today Show to be any different than an unnamed royal source talked about by the DM.

So we shall have to just disagree on this point as to reliability of sources.

LaRae

Closed Thread