The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, for the speech Harry made the other night, I think it was very appropriate to mention his mother. After all, it was at a Sentebale dinner that he gave that speech.

Sentebale was founded as a memorial for both Prince Harry's and Prince Seeiso's mothers. Sentebale means "forget me not".
I agree. Even the flowers at the dinner included Diana's favourite flower, the Forget-Me-Not. Diana's memory is rooted in that charity.

Also, Johnny Hornby (chairman of Sentebale) has been on BBC rolling news all day talking about it, which has given the charity huge publicity so they'll reap the rewards of that.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEgg View Post
I am counting on my country, Canada to give Harry and Meghan the deserved respect and freedom to live a tranquil and peaceful life...finally!
As you fellow Canadian I agree with Canada giving them freedom to live an tranquil and peaceful life.... I just do not want them to get taxpayer funds to do so (security) and I will not stand for them being given any preferential treatment (immigration).

Old 01-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Wow Harry's speech. Saying he had no choice was ridiculous. I wish he would just own up to wanting a different life, and that the restrictions on their lives as royals was just not cutting it for them anymore because these two did have a choice and that was to ignore the media, use their platforms to constructively discuss their problems with the press and the perceived racism, and keep at it, doing the nitty gritty of royal work and supporting the monarchy. The decision they made meant that the values of duty and supporting the Queen were NOT inviolable to them, despite what they're saying then and now and in the future. They couldn't take the heat, think the grass is greener elsewhere...fine. But he needs to own up to it, stop playing to the public's sympathy, stop playing the games with the media his mother did, because although it has immediate gains, it eventually does nothing but cheapens his status. Unless he wants to go down as one of the whiniest princes in history.

Could you or I or any one of us live in an environment of constant harassment, bullying and public humiliation? Could you go to work each day and face undeserved hostility and discrimination and endure it day in and day out...and not be able to face those who taunt you mercilessly. A person can only take so much.
And Meghan came into the role hopeful that people would love her as they did Harry's mother. You can see how hard she tried to be the gracious guest at many events. How hurt she must be to have been slapped in the face...over and over. And I wouldn't doubt that Meghan has received threats and lives in fear. And this is because she committed the sin of marrying Prince Harry.
It is his duty is to protect his wife and mother of his child.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Do we know if there's room for Harry and Meghan to revisit this whole issue and become fulltime working royals (and use HRH again) in the future? I think Harry will be needed when Charles becomes king.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Finally, someone's done some homework and realised the title for at the very least Meghan is wrong.
https://twitter.com/SkyRhiannon/stat...731641857?s=20

The should be cited simply as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, without the HRH (or TRH). And they should not use Prince or Princess Harry anymore either. That is my understanding of the "deal" that was agreed with the Palace.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:03 PM

I'm sure Harry is fine with that.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCRoyal View Post
Do we know if there's room for Harry and Meghan to revisit this whole issue and become fulltime working royals (and use HRH again) in the future? I think Harry will be needed when Charles becomes king.
they've chosen to go. Are they going to change their minds now in a few years? Charles and the queen have agreed to their going.. and imagine that Charles will manage without them.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:07 PM

I think it's a strange cultural issue. The vulgar and distasteful British tabloids want to sell more papers and that means they have to create NEWS and the more outrageous, vicious and even untruthful the better. We don't have such tabloids here in Canada that tear people to pieces. I think Harry and Meghan will be better off here. If they walked down the street here, I would give them the respect and privacy that they need and deserve.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think it's a strange cultural issue. The vulgar and distasteful British tabloids want to sell more papers and that means they have to create NEWS and the more outrageous, vicious and even untruthful the better. We don't have such tabloids here in Canada that tear people to pieces. I think Harry and Meghan will be better off here. If they walked down the street here, I would give them the respect and privacy that they need and deserve.
Of course they want to sell papers... that's what newspapers are for, to be sold and make money. If Harry and Meghan want to wlak down a street in Canada.. that's fine.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
We simply don't know. There is an element of review next year, whether this is just in terms of money or the whole arrangement nobody knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The should be cited simply as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, without the HRH (or TRH). And they should not use Prince or Princess Harry anymore either. That is my understanding of the "deal" that was agreed with the Palace.
I totally agree, however that is not what Buckingham Palace confirmed to RRs after the announcement. It was confirmed on call that they would be Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Which I said from the get go, was an incorrect way of address.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:16 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Could you or I or any one of us live in an environment of constant harassment, bullying and public humiliation? Could you go to work each day and face undeserved hostility and discrimination and endure it day in and day out...and not be able to face those who taunt you mercilessly. A person can only take so much.
And Meghan came into the role hopeful that people would love her as they did Harry's mother. You can see how hard she tried to be the gracious guest at many events. How hurt she must be to have been slapped in the face...over and over. And I wouldn't doubt that Meghan has received threats and lives in fear. And this is because she committed the sin of marrying Prince Harry.
It is his duty is to protect his wife and mother of his child.
Unflattering headlines aren't "harassment." Yes, there's a lot of undeserved hostility, but that's true of all of them, not just Meghan. Could I do it? Possibly, but I don't care to try, and wouldn't have taken it on for that reason. Kate, Camilla, Sophie, and plenty of others faced press coverage that was as bad or worse, and seem to have done fine in spite of it, so it's not as if it's impossible.

No one's criticizing Meghan for not wanting to live in that fishbowl - neither did Harry's previous girlfriends, and no one thought less of them for it. People are criticizing her for insisting she could do it when she either didn't do her homework on what it involved, wasn't self-aware enough to recognize her own limits, or was simply lying. The fact that the press is often unpleasant to new royal brides isn't a closely-guarded secret, and her apparent belief that the world would realign itself to suit her desires is deserving of criticism for the trouble it's caused to others - probably including Harry.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm sure there will always be room......Charles would welcome his son home with open arms. Unless Harry is desperately unhappy, however, I don't see this happening. He's needed now, and he's moving on...
Old 01-20-2020, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Unfortunately the tabloids do go for the sensational in order to sell more papers/earn more clicks.

Camilla, Catherine, Sophie, Sarah Ferguson, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and others in the family have faced similar "outrageous, vicious, and even untruthful" coverage in the tabloids.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course they want to sell papers... that's what newspapers are for, to be sold and make money. If Harry and Meghan want to wlak down a street in Canada.. that's fine.

No, you missed the point. Reporting accurate news should be the main goal of every newspaper, and for the majority it is. Of course they want to make money but only in pursuit of the main goal. Just as a hospital provides medical services as its main goal, a bank provides financial services, etc.

But the tabloids (in the OP's words) "create NEWS and the more outrageous, vicious and even untruthful the better" in order to maximize their sales. Greed trumps accuracy.

That's very irresponsible.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:01 PM

I have never heard of any newspapers anywhere in the world that attack their royal family members or those who marry into the family like the British tabloids. There should be some common decency here. Leave these people alone!
Texankitkat: there is a bit of an uproar among Canadians about using taxpayers' money for security for Harry and Meghan. Others feel that since they are part of the royal family and Harry is 6th in line to the throne...we have an allegiance and duty to protect them.
Also owing them is respect, and giving them privacy and a wide berth...[...]
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Then I'd like to see that documented. Nothing I've seen said by BP, The Queen or The Sussexes are saying what is claimed to have been said.

LaRae
Just because people can see patterns or predict where the situation will go on the grounds of general information doesn't mean that they're wrong. It's the same thing that was with their website - some people treated it like a done deal, like this is how things will look like, while now we know H&M won't even get half of the things from their long wishlist.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 PM

Charles is giving them an income apparently.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Charles is giving them an income apparently.
Yes he has been supplementing their income since they were married.. and he's been assisting both sons with supplemental income, to help with their engagements.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But the tabloids (in the OP's words) "create NEWS and the more outrageous, vicious and even untruthful the better" in order to maximize their sales. Greed trumps accuracy.

That's very irresponsible.
Be that as it may.. it IS 'the way of the World', and an actress as aware as Ms Markle must have known it, or [at any rate] researched it, when considering her future - she CANNOT have been ignorant either of the Tabloids power, or their interest in the BRF [and anyone who married into it]..

That suggests to me either she thought she 'could handle it', or that it suited a long term plan - to 'raise her profile' to the point where her ambition to 'change/improve' the World were possible, as it simply wasn't as an obscure actress in a Canadian Soap..
Old 01-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I have never heard of any newspapers anywhere in the world that attack their royal family members or those who marry into the family like the British tabloids. There should be some common decency here. Leave these people alone!
The British royals are a bit of a historical anomaly. Most countries that still have officially recognized royal families aren't in Europe, and those royal families aren't ceremonial or symbolic - they actually run the country. Most true monarchies don't have the same concept of free press as most democracies, so of course you're not going to see the press criticizing the rulers that control the press. That's not a good thing.

Quote:
Also owing them is respect, and giving them privacy and a wide berth...which poor Diana would like to have had during her life cut short escaping from the paparazzi who dogged her relentlessly for photos and any scandal they could find.
I don't see how anyone can seriously believe that these two want privacy, anonymity, etc. at this point. Literally every decision they've made for the past several weeks had no possible basis other than to increase their media coverage.

Closed Thread