The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3521  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Nope but the RRs have had confirmation from BP that this is the case.
They wont come back as Senior royals, that ship has sailed now.
__________________

  #3522  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
There are YouTubers who make millions of dollars a year who aren't widely known to the general public. Harry and Meghan will not have trouble making money.
Then Charles should pull the plug on money for them...
__________________

  #3523  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
I don't understand why they link the Queen's statement as its doesn't really provide any information. Too ashamed to link the Palace's statement?
If you go to the page, it actually does link to the official statement. The hyperlink didn't copy when I copied the text.

This whole website will need to be changed, which takes time. At this point, I'm not sure that they will be able to keep calling Sussex Royal.
  #3524  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:15 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
They wont come back as Senior royals, that ship has sailed now.


You are correct, “they” might not.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #3525  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
There's paparazzi in Victoria right now. This is a big story. They won't camp out there forever. The were no shots during their 6 week vacation.
Which only supports my point that those paparazzis were likely called and notified of where Meghan will be.
Again in two years of marriage she was not photographed while on private runs, during the six weeks she did not either, they drop their bombshell and since she abandoned Harry to deal with the fallout himself she has been papped twice.. ummm
  #3526  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Meghan could start up The Tig again.
And of course play herself in The Crown, sometimes a joke on twitter becomes reality.
  #3527  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You are correct, “they” might not.
One of them might. It is very sad for him. I mean a psychologist would have a field day. They were a couple were one had a strong family basis with family and friends and one had seemingly transient relationships and no contact with their families and now they are both that way, if Rose Astors comment on SM yesterday is any indication.
  #3528  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Shall we then [after Springtime] find posts regarding Henry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex in the 'British Aristocracy' thread ?
They'll still be royal but won't be addressed as such. Besides the Snowdon, Chatto, etc threads are still under "British Royals."
  #3529  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Then Charles should pull the plug on money for them...
It’s complicated because Charles is going to want to provide some sort of buffer in case it doesn’t work out immediately.....it’s his son, after all. Still, he’s got to answer to the public...I wish Harry had insisted that he wouldn’t accept this funding, but most likely he used his father’s love for him against him in order to keep the funding
  #3530  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,306
Maybe thats one the reasons it will be reviewed in a year, if by then they are earning more money than Charles gives them maybe he will feel happy to pull the plug on giving them so much.
  #3531  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
It’s complicated because Charles is going to want to provide some sort of buffer in case it doesn’t work out immediately.....it’s his son, after all. Still, he’s got to answer to the public...I wish Harry had insisted that he wouldn’t accept this funding, but most likely he used his father’s love for him against him in order to keep the funding
I think it has more 5o do with the fact that he doesn't want them commercially exploiting themselves. I mean Harry is wealthy enough to never need another dime but unfortunately he probably spends a lot of money too.
  #3532  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Peterborough, Canada
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I've asked for clarification on this. All other non royal dukes are known as The Duke of XXX. RRs are stating that Henry will now be known as Henry, Duke of Sussex. Which is incorrect, his peerage is separate to his HRH and was given to him via LPs. They have every right, in my understanding, to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

While I do not know what agreements were made, I do not understand why they wouldn't be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (like TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, etc. except without the Royal Highness). Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, sounds as if she were divorced from Harry. They don't need any prefixes such as His Grace, etc...in my mind it would be simple to leave off the HRH. As I said, I don't know what has been agreed among the parties, but that would seem simplest (and most "correct") to me.



They could also be Harry and Meghan Sussex I suppose.
  #3533  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
what is the point? I don't think that the 2 of them are going to come back..the only thing would be if Harry came back alone...
Yes, but technically they will still be HRHs and it would better IMO if the Palace kept an eye on them especially where their commercial ventures are concerned. The Palace already goofed by giving Andrew a free rein.
EDIT: Oops, just read Tatiana Marie's post explaining this won't happen in terms of commercial ventures. This makes me nervous....
  #3534  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
They wont come back as Senior royals, that ship has sailed now.
"They" will never by welcome but "he" is a different story.

I think the review is to see what kind of commercial opportunities they engage in and what the public reception will be. If there is significant backlash there might be a more formalized decision on titles and styles.
  #3535  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,656
Wow! Lots of new developments happened while I was AFK today. I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome that has been announced and to be honest, I find it sensible, compromising in its own way and hopefully will allow Harry and Meghan the life that they want to lead.

First off, my impression is that the "Firm" is like many, many other businesses and corporations in that they do not and will not accept "moonlighting". That is, being part of the business yet working elsewhere on the side. Harry and Meghan effectively have been handed a "you're fired!" notice from the "Firm" and with that, any venture they go into in the future (foundation, private patronages etc) cannot have any kind of connotation that would or could reflect on their previous "employment" with the "Firm". Hence, no HRH may be used and I would assume that the "Royal" part of Sussex Royal will be removed. This is common good sense when it comes to business and financial ventures. They're on their own in the work they do going into the future. Nothing can be used that even hints at their "royal" status that would allude to being endorsed by the monarchy's "Firm". Basically it would be like Beatrice and Eugenie being known in their places of business as Beatrice York or Eugenie Brooksbank. They do not use their HRH for business purposes. In this respect, what was done was to protect the "Firm" and not allowing that "half in and half out" which, to me, in the long run would end up being confusing.

Still, Harry and Meghan are still HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex within the family fold as Beatrice and Eugenie are still and always will be Princesses of the UK. Their rank and file in the order of precedence remains as it always was and will continue. They're still members of the British Royal Family and will still participate in family events and be warmly welcomed. They're not being exiled or banished from the family. Just from the "Firm" and its workings.

As with any new business venture, it holds the possibility of going belly up and flopping as its own stand alone venture. I think we pretty much saw that happen with the Wessexes in their early years. The doors aren't permanently slammed shut on Harry and Meghan and I don't believe anyone in the BRF would actively wish for them to fail. They, of course, would lose any "perks" held with being part of the "Firm". That's to be expected. As family, they're still entitled to the use of Frogmore Cottage as a residence but as they're no longer working for the family "Firm", they will be required to pay the going rent to use it.

As for Charles' coronation? Both Harry and Meghan would still attend as the son and daughter-in-law of the monarch, wear the appropriate dress as stated for coronations with even coronets and swearing fealty to King Charles. We've had no coronations in the British monarchy since 1953 so Charles may change some things such as the tiaras and coronets and robes etc... we'll see.

So, basically, the changes that are to be implemented in the spring basically all deal with the "Firm" side of the BRF and not the "family" side. I wish Harry and Meghan the best in all of this and that they find what they are looking for. I also believe that if needed, the family will always be there for them and they're not being exiled and banished never to have their names spoken again ala David and Wallis.

This is my take on things and of course, my own opinion.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3536  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
While I do not know what agreements were made, I do not understand why they wouldn't be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (like TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, etc. except without the Royal Highness). Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, sounds as if she were divorced from Harry. They don't need any prefixes such as His Grace, etc...in my mind it would be simple to leave off the HRH. As I said, I don't know what has been agreed among the parties, but that would seem simplest (and most "correct") to me.



They could also be Harry and Meghan Sussex I suppose.
My guess is that it is because they intend to live and work, at least part-time, in North America, where the British royals are often better recognized by their names than by their correct British styles.
  #3537  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
While I do not know what agreements were made, I do not understand why they wouldn't be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (like TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, etc. except without the Royal Highness). Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, sounds as if she were divorced from Harry. They don't need any prefixes such as His Grace, etc...in my mind it would be simple to leave off the HRH. As I said, I don't know what has been agreed among the parties, but that would seem simplest (and most "correct") to me.



They could also be Harry and Meghan Sussex I suppose.
Well to be honest both titles sound divorced because before he was Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex. Now he is just Harry, Duke of Sussex.
  #3538  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:48 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 423
This has been an interesting announcement to say the least...

This is what I am concerned about/want answers for:

1. What legal status is Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, a PRIVATE CITIZEN living in Canada under? Has fanboy Trudeau queue-jumped the immigration system for them?

2. Who is going to be paying for the security of these PRIVATE CITIZENS. The Canadian taxpayer better not be stuck with the bill.

3. What assets does Charles have that do not come from the Duchy of Cornwall. All his personal savings and investments come from the money he made from the Duchy.

As for the announcement, I feel like the BRF has given them enough rope to see what they do with it. If they engage in questionable money making ventures, I believe Letters Patent formally stripping them of their HRH (and possible parliamentary action taking away the peerage and position in the line of succession) are not out of the question.
  #3539  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Wow! Lots of new developments happened while I was AFK today. I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome that has been announced and to be honest, I find it sensible, compromising in its own way and hopefully will allow Harry and Meghan the life that they want to lead.

First off, my impression is that the "Firm" is like many, many other businesses and corporations in that they do not and will not accept "moonlighting". That is, being part of the business yet working elsewhere on the side. Harry and Meghan effectively have been handed a "you're fired!" notice from the "Firm" and with that, any venture they go into in the future (foundation, private patronages etc) cannot have any kind of connotation that would or could reflect on their previous "employment" with the "Firm". Hence, no HRH may be used and I would assume that the "Royal" part of Sussex Royal will be removed. This is common good sense when it comes to business and financial ventures. They're on their own in the work they do going into the future. Nothing can be used that even hints at their "royal" status that would allude to being endorsed by the monarchy's "Firm". Basically it would be like Beatrice and Eugenie being known in their places of business as Beatrice York or Eugenie Brooksbank. They do not use their HRH for business purposes. In this respect, what was done was to protect the "Firm" and not allowing that "half in and half out" which, to me, in the long run would end up being confusing.

Still, Harry and Meghan are still HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex within the family fold as Beatrice and Eugenie are still and always will be Princesses of the UK. Their rank and file in the order of precedence remains as it always was and will continue. They're still members of the British Royal Family and will still participate in family events and be warmly welcomed. They're not being exiled or banished from the family. Just from the "Firm" and its workings.

As with any new business venture, it holds the possibility of going belly up and flopping as its own stand alone venture. I think we pretty much saw that happen with the Wessexes in their early years. The doors aren't permanently slammed shut on Harry and Meghan and I don't believe anyone in the BRF would actively wish for them to fail. They, of course, would lose any "perks" held with being part of the "Firm". That's to be expected. As family, they're still entitled to the use of Frogmore Cottage as a residence but as they're no longer working for the family "Firm", they will be required to pay the going rent to use it.

As for Charles' coronation? Both Harry and Meghan would still attend as the son and daughter-in-law of the monarch, wear the appropriate dress as stated for coronations with even coronets and swearing fealty to King Charles. We've had no coronations in the British monarchy since 1953 so Charles may change some things such as the tiaras and coronets and robes etc... we'll see.

So, basically, the changes that are to be implemented in the spring basically all deal with the "Firm" side of the BRF and not the "family" side. I wish Harry and Meghan the best in all of this and that they find what they are looking for. I also believe that if needed, the family will always be there for them and they're not being exiled and banished never to have their names spoken again ala David and Wallis.

This is my take on things and of course, my own opinion.
No Bea and Eug are HRH full stop but don't use is it at work. Like the Cambridges at school. Harry and Meghan cannot use it anywhere. Also, only because I have ever a thing about women and the automatic assumption they change their names when they marry. Eugenie works under her own name. Eugenie York
  #3540  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:52 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, but technically they will still be HRHs and it would better IMO if the Palace kept an eye on them especially where their commercial ventures are concerned. The Palace already goofed by giving Andrew a free rein.
EDIT: Oops, just read Tatiana Marie's post explaining this won't happen in terms of commercial ventures. This makes me nervous....
There is another story out now that says any commercial ventures will need to be approved by the Lord Chamberlain. I haven’t seen the source yet so not sure if there is anything to it.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020 Dman The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1150 09-06-2020 08:30 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baby names bridal gown british royal family british royals buckingham palace canada cht coronavirus cpr daisy dna doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii emperor family life fantasy movie hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume historical drama history hypothetical monarchs interesting introduction jewellery jewelry jumma king willem-alexander list of rulers mail mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family northern ireland plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise resusci anne royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress settings stuart thailand tips united states of america von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×