The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
They don't go by Prince and Princess now...Duke and Duchess is higher.

Always was higher, todays announcement makes no difference to the title ranks.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Not using the HRH is less of a choice and more of a consequence of wanting financial freedom.

Their website made their desires clear. They wanted the best of both worlds. Didn’t work.
Well, that told me then!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I don’t know about Prince Phillip being devastated. Livid? Perhaps. Disappointed? Most certainly. Phillip gave up a career he loved and devoted his life to duty in support of his wife, the Queen. I very much doubt he very happy with Harry.

Duty has been such an important aspect of Philip’s entire life. I can’t imagine his disappointment in Harry.

That he chose to do this publicly must make it worse.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I doubt their going to get much privacy from the media. In this past alonebmeghan was papped twice! (And I would bet my house those photographers were notified in advance of her location).

He married a dame hungry woman who will not rest even when she finally achieved it.

The review in a year is imo to give Harry enough time to wake up grab the child and get the hell out of dodge back to the U.K. where his family can protect him and his son.
there is no review in a year. The official announcement makes no mention of this...
Old 01-18-2020, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
there is no review in a year. The official announcement makes no mention of this...

Nope but the RRs have had confirmation from BP that this is the case.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Some people may say Harry and Meghan got too much, or the monarchy lost out, but I see it differently. I think this statement is an example of why I respect the Queen as a leader; even she doesn't hold any 'actual' power, she leads by example and setting a tone. This statement was very gracious towards Meghan and repeatedly mentioned family and called them much-loved members of the family. Given the circumstances, the tone could have been harsher. The Queen could have simply cut them off for not cooperating and set the stage for a family estrangement a la the Markles. Instead, she's reiterated how much she values them and that she respects their desire to set a different course, which shows how wise and measured she is and that she is, I believe, a true Christian.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I was surprised the Sussexes chose to drop their titles now - I thought they would do so eventually, but would wait for at least a few months to see how the situation pans out. It's clear from this, if it hadn't been from anything else, that the couple want out.

I wonder where this stands with their presence at family events like Trooping the Colour? If they want to, I presume Harry and Meghan could attend Sandringham as even though we get to see them walk up to church Sandringham is more or less a family affair.
I don’t think not using HRH and Prince was a Sussex choice. I think it was part of the terms they ultimately agreed to.

They could be on the balcony with other members of the family at Trooping, but they wouldn’t ride in the carriages like they did the past two years.
I’m skeptical we will see them, but you never know.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Correct, they will no longer be working royals or officially represent the Monarchy.

According to Harry and Meghan's updated website https://sussexroyal.com/monarchy/ "As members of the Royal Family, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex support Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by continuing her efforts to draw special attention to these groups as patrons of multiple organisations." Referencing their private patronages, ie Sentebale, the Invictus Games Foundation, Smart Works, etc.

Their updated website continues to give a history of patronages. "The history of patronages is a fascinating historical insight into the British Royal Family and the role they continue to play in The United Kingdom. ... patronages cover a broad spectrum of causes, a symbol of national pride that was so needed then and has carried over to present day. While there is a distinction between patronages and the community work the Duke and Duchess champion individually, there is sometimes overlap based on their interests. Today, Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have chosen their patronages to support charitable organisations that represent causes important to them and that honour the legacy of Her Majesty The Queen." A list of the organizations they will continue to support is also provided on their newly updated website. I think Harry and Meghan will continue to be very busy.
That hasn't been updated yet.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:16 PM
Commoner

Poor family. Harry leaving and knowing that TQ and Philip won't live too long... Giving up so much for the pretty much unknown. The grass is greener. I wonder if their love is strong enough... Harry got depressed pretty quickly and yeah it was because of the press but love didn't exactly make him happy after they got engaged and wed. He isn't rational. Just like the last statement wasn't.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness

Oh the irony and audacity of these two to use this quote from the Queen on their website:

“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

I find these two to be completely despicable and without an ounce of shame.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Nope but the RRs have had confirmation from BP that this is the case.
Seems strange that they woudlnt' put it on the official announcment. I think maybe they hope Harry will retrun but I would not put money on it and I would say he's too unpopular now to be welcomed back
Old 01-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Courtier

I think it's sad for all of us, because Harry marrying Meghan was such a historic moment. Until the war, maybe even into the '60s and beyond, a lot of people of all backgrounds were given hassle over their choice of partner. Even with working-class people, families would sometimes fall out over a marriage, usually because of religion. Princess Margaret couldn't marry Peter Townsend because he was divorced. Harry and Meghan's wedding was seen as telling everyone that it was absolutely fine for any couple to be together, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender, class, previous marriages, anything, and that really was a big thing. Less than two years later, this happens. After Charles and Diana, I think we're all past fairytales, but for Harry and Meghan, who symbolised all that, to jump ship is very sad.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Debate around, as they're no longer royals, can they use Sussex Royal or are they going to have to rebrand? I would assume so.
I would assume that there are many more details agreed on, including not being allowed to use 'royal' in any of their branding; so I would expect 'Sussex Royal' to be out. The use of 'Sussex' is free game.

Was it confirmed to the reporters that 'Spring' effectively means when their new foundation is launched as 'Spring' is a rather vague description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
From ITV's Chris Ship

@chrisshipitv Note how the very first line from the Queen was: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions...” I hear there were many different drafts of that line So who was telling the truth last week when the Royal Family claimed to be ‘blindsided’ by the statement?

Yeah... I am sure more questions will be raised soon enough.
The queen's statement seems to have written in a way to praise Harry and Meghan as much as possible to soften the blow they have been given. The BP statement is much more straight forward.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Correct, they will no longer be working royals or officially represent the Monarchy.

According to Harry and Meghan's updated website https://sussexroyal.com/monarchy/ "As members of the Royal Family, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex support Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by continuing her efforts to draw special attention to these groups as patrons of multiple organisations." Referencing their private patronages, ie Sentebale, the Invictus Games Foundation, Smart Works, etc.

Their updated website continues to give a history of patronages. "The history of patronages is a fascinating historical insight into the British Royal Family and the role they continue to play in The United Kingdom. ... patronages cover a broad spectrum of causes, a symbol of national pride that was so needed then and has carried over to present day. While there is a distinction between patronages and the community work the Duke and Duchess champion individually, there is sometimes overlap based on their interests. Today, Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have chosen their patronages to support charitable organisations that represent causes important to them and that honour the legacy of Her Majesty The Queen." A list of the organizations they will continue to support is also provided on their newly updated website. I think Harry and Meghan will continue to be very busy.
Their website has not been updated since BP’s announcement today other than to replace their ridiculous manifesto with a brief statement. All that you’ve quoted has been there for some time and is not current.

“In line with the statement by Her Majesty the Queen, information on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be updated on this website in due course....”
Old 01-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Anne, Andrew and Edward didn't get their own court either. Nor did Princess Margaret. It is usually just the heir. The only reason William has a third royal court is because of the long reign of The Queen. It's not very often that a monarch has 3 adult direct heirs.
Good points. Harry seems to want everything William has, except he doesn’t want the responsibility or burden...hmm.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I would assume that there are many more details agreed on, including not being allowed to use 'royal' in any of their branding; so I would expect 'Sussex Royal' to be out. The use of 'Sussex' is free game.

Was it confirmed to the reporters that 'Spring' effectively means when their new foundation is launched as 'Spring' is a rather vague description.

Spring is any time between the start of March and the end of May.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

The queen's statement seems to have written in a way to praise Harry and Meghan as much as possible to soften the blow they have been given. The BP statement is much more straight forward.
I don't think it means very much. they are being pushed out.. well they said they wanted to go.. so now tey are being told "go".
Old 01-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That website isn't up to date...there is even a note on the home page stating the fact. They are still part of the family but they won't be representing the monarchy after the transition.
I just came from their website, it appears to be updated. Really, am I totally wrong on this?

Thank you, I see where they indicate "update in due course".
Old 01-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
People Magazine, Us Weekly, In Touch Weekly will still report on them.

I don’t see the Daily Mail giving up coverage- there even is a US online version and a TV show.

“Genuine” newspapers in the U.S rarely report much on them as it is.
Yes, ok...celebrity magazines, not hard news... and that’s my point, which I guess will be good for Meghan and Harry as the celeb/entertainment media is pretty soft
Old 01-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Good points. Harry seems to want everything William has, except he doesn’t want the responsibility or burden...hmm.
He clearly juat isn't made for this royal life but then neither was Margaret or Andrew. Is Charlotte going to appear with pink hair and join extinction rebellion and get herself glued to trains. At least that would be publically minded.

Closed Thread