The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think the issue really is the part time vs full time thing . If that was the only problem they could easily have come to an agreement . The problem ,the way I see it, is that Harry and Meghan want to cherry pick which part of royal life they want. They want to keep all the perks but none of the responsibilities . They want to keep duchy funding while becoming "financially independent" (whatever that means ) which sounds strange coming from millionaires .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
I don't doubt it, though I'm not sure it's fair to include stories published since their announcement. The numbers for Kate were more balanced during the same time, but I'd like to see an analysis of Kate's headline's at an equivalent time - the first two years after her relationship with William became public, or the first year after their marriage.
I think there is no way to compare that . With Kate it was a drip drip kind of situation . From the first rumours to those ski pics to the hightime of Kate stalking , the 2007 break up and the this is the year Waity finally stops waiting narrative . Over the time the media had uncovered all skeletons and turned every not so clean relative into a story . When they then got engaged it was all hype the fairy tale .
With Meghan all of this came together . So the media was at the same time digging for dirt and hyping a wedding .

Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Wow, how tragic. I’m not sure if I could or would ever truly forgive if that had happened to me...Hmm, perhaps they cut people off before these people could hurt them (anymore)?
From what I’ve read, if Diana got angry about something someone said or advice was offered that she didn’t like (because it wasn’t what she wanted to hear) — she’d drop them flat- no discussions, nothing. It was very immature and in the long run, not helpful to Diana herself.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
An interesting article from the Economist -of all places- about Marx and the Sussex couple as a sign of exces of capitalism:

https://www.time24.news/2020/01/the-...rnational.html

original source: https://www.economist.com/britain/20...eghan-and-marx

Some quotes:

Predicting that their brand needs more drama:
This is exactly what makes me nervous. Even if the proceeds go toward charity the monetization of their royal "brand" will have a negative impact on the monarchy.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Some of you will say yes, the others may start to think about this statistic and how it impacts us (and Meghan and Harry...)

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...es-as-positive
Not really different than the articles from 30+ years ago when the papers pitted Sarah & Diana against each other.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Despite of age, I truly don’t think the Queen would have de ied Harry and Meghan a much slower introduction to public life.
I was myself, amazed that it was not the case.

My British friends say no one would have objected, if they provided a proper reasonable explanation: international relocation and wanting to take time to adapt to her new adopted country and its culture, changing from an acting career to a life of service wanting to take a bit of time to study the country, the culture, the different charity work she can take on, and what her job will be (ie going to princess school so to speak), wanting to start a family as soon as possible and focusing on the child for a couple of years.
All are valid reasons, which would have been accepted by the queen and the British people on why she was not jumping and hitting the ground running.
Meanwhile she could have joined other members of the family on their engagements to learn from them.

I see people saying Harry should have taught her, well he told her- as he admitted himself in the interview- what being with him would be like.
Also: SHE’S was a freakin 36 year old woman!!! Not a 19 year old child with no life or living in a foreign country Experience.
She douldn’t have figured this out herself!?! Seriously, you don’t need to be a royal watcher, or have much understanding of royal life to understand that when you start a new job you should probably research and study for it before accepting the job.

I don’t think Meghan ever cared about duty or learning anything about British culture or even sticking around (I said two years ago I believe their marriage would last 5 years, I stand by this now more than ever- in fact I think she’s already checked out of that marriage but is sticking a bit more for publicity sake- if she was not she would stayed in the U.K. for the exit negotiations and not left Harry to deal with it alone), otherwise she would have worked twice hard to integrate into the royal family way of doing things.

I have seen this happen many times with immigrants, having lived in foreign country myself, those who took the time to learn the culture and customes and were patient with the locals in regards to friendship had a higher successful rate of acceptance and feeling at home in their adopted nation in the long run;while those who refused and stuck to their native homeland way of doing things and spoke badly about the culture and people of the country became increasingly miserable and had troubles forming friendships, they became islolated in their country mini “town” only dealing with those who came from their homeland.

Which brings a thought to my head:
Didn’t Doria and Thomas separated only after two years of marriage?
Well her first marriage lasted about two years.
Her relationship with the chef too.
And she and Harry (and thus her and the royal family) have been married for less than two years.

Feels a bit like a pattern.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Iam not so sure about that. I felt when they were married that they DID seem to be being plunged in.. and that it seemed like the queen was reversing her prevous policy that she had followed iwht Will and kate. In the 80s, Diana and Sarah F both claimed that they were rather thrown in to Royal life and I thought that lessons had been learned from that and that new brides were given more time to acclimatise before they went into full time engagements. Will and Kate were both able to have a fairly normal life for a few years, dong some duties but not much and Will was working at his Pilot job. But when Harry and Meg got engaged and married they seemed to start off as full timers without her having had much time to get used to England or marriage.. THen she got pregnant as well quite ealry…
so I wondered if the queen's greater indulgence towards Kate (and Will) was more to do with the fact that they weren't needed right then to do the job than a real desire to give K more time.
Now in 2018/19 - I feel perhaps the queen had been thinking that time's running out... She is getting older and so are her children and her cousins.. Philip Is nearly 100 and retired and ill.
The Monarchy needs both grandsons and their wives doing the job if it is to fulfil a reasonable number of engagements and keep going..without drafting in any others like C's nieces and nephews or other cousins. So she was keen to get Meghan up to the starting line and push her into the job.. and if she had a baby, in the past year, they could have some time off but then it was back to work again....
So I don't know. Im nto saying she was browbeating her grandson's new wife but maybe she didn't feel it was necessary to go slow. Possibly Meghan came across as intelligent and very self confident and eager to start off working.. so she felt it was fine to get her on the duty roster.. And Meghan was keen and eager at first but drew back when she got a lot of criticism>?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Iam not so sure about that. I felt when they were married that they DID seem to be being plunged in.. and that it seemed like the queen was reversing her prevous policy that she had followed iwht Will and kate. In the 80s, Diana and Sarah F both claimed that they were rather thrown in to Royal life and I thought that lessons had been learned from that and that new brides were given more time to acclimatise before they went into full time engagements. Will and Kate were both able to have a fairly normal life for a few years, dong some duties but not much and Will was working at his Pilot job. But when Harry and Meg got engaged and married they seemed to start off as full timers without her having had much time to get used to England or marriage.. THen she got pregnant as well quite ealry…
so I wondered if the queen's greater indulgence towards Kate (and Will) was more to do with the fact that they weren't needed right then to do the job than a real desire to give K more time.
Now in 2018/19 - I feel perhaps the queen had been thinking that time's running out... She is getting older and so are her children and her cousins.. Philip Is nearly 100 and retired and ill.
The Monarchy needs both grandsons and their wives doing the job if it is to fulfil a reasonable number of engagements and keep going..without drafting in any others like C's nieces and nephews or other cousins. So she was keen to get Meghan up to the starting line and push her into the job.. and if she had a baby, in the past year, they could have some time off but then it was back to work again....
So I don't know. Im nto saying she was browbeating her grandson's new wife but maybe she didn't feel it was necessary to go slow. Possibly Meghan came across as intelligent and very self confident and eager to start off working.. so she felt it was fine to get her on the duty roster.. And Meghan was keen and eager at first but drew back when she got a lot of criticism>?
I respectively disagree. If Meghan had felt she needed the time to accustom herself to her new position, her country and her role within the institution the Queen would have been more than accommodating. Meghan stated she was ready to hit the ground running and that is what she did. That is all on her. Not the Queen.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I think if Meghan had been say, a physical therapist coming into the Royal Family with no public experience, the Queen would have insisted on a slow beginning. But Meghan was older, with the background of a public career and seemed eager to jump in, and I think Harry supported that. So the Queen let them.
I do think real life as a spouse in the BRF was not at all what Meghan envisioned.
She absolutely didn’t like being hampered by protocol and hierarchy.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Nobility

Beside the tragic moments of this mess,
I find it quite funny to see Meghan's family back in the media spreading their thoughts.
All the Markles seem to search and enjoy the limelight and making money for themselves
Thomas, Samatha, why should Meghan make an exception;-)
We do nothing else here but without being paid for it and thank God Meghan is none of my family.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think if Meghan had been say, a physical therapist coming into the Royal Family with no public experience, the Queen would have insisted on a slow beginning. But Meghan was older, with the background of a public career and seemed eager to jump in, and I think Harry supported that. So the Queen let them.
I do think real life as a spouse in the BRF was not at all what Meghan envisioned.
She absolutely didn’t like being hampered by protocol and hierarchy.
I didn't see any indications she had issues with protocol or hierarchy.

It's obvious based on her few comments we've seen it was not like she thought it would be in some aspects.

LaRae
Old 01-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Nobility

Meghan didn’t slow down until a month before Archie’s birth. She did hit the ground running. She never complained about the work. She’s upset and rightfully so at the press mistreatment and harassment, at the outright racism. As a WOC, no one else can understand the emotional toll dealing with racism has on us. Meghan has been fighting upstream against a negativity current. Nothing she has done over nearly 2 years as a married royal has been good enough for the U.K. press. She works, but too much and what she’s doing is overshadowing others. If she tries to dress professionally, she’s told that’s not right or isn’t done, then has to see the same things being praised or ignored in others. It’s tiring doing things and having everything questioned, mocked, dismissed or ignored. This is the life of WOC. Usually we just carry on because we have to. Meghan has the ability to step back for her mental health and she should. I applaud Harry for recognizing this wasn’t a life he wanted for his wife and his child.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
...it was not like she thought it would be in some aspects. LaRae
I think a lot of what rankled her mirrored some of the things that Harry found so unproductive (silly, not useful, outdates, etc.) in the running of the firm.

It must be awful to be a HRH but to have courtiers that tell you "no," all the time. Or to leak info to the press to undermine you if you don't obey them.

There are real problems with staff behind the Royal Family. JMO.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Im assuming the queen DID think that Meghan needed to be full time.... She herself is now in her 90s, some of her cousins who help are in their 80s. Even Anne is about 70. (ANdrew has alos gone from his patronages).
The varous cousins are at an age where they might become ill or pass away suddenly and then the RF is down another helper. Charles when he becomes King will probably find that his helpers drop in number so I think he and the queen were counting on Will and Kate and Harry and if H had a wife Harry's wife.. would definitely all be required to pitch in.
And I don't think that Meg herself showed any reluctance. She could have been left out of the Africa tour as Archie was still very young.. she could have given herself that break and stayed home with him.. so I don't see this as a hard nosed RF pushing her into work she ddi'nt feel up or before she felt ready to do it.. but from the time of the Africa tour she and H seem to have been getting depressed and stressed and looking for a way out.
I think you are giving the Queen way too much responsibility in this debacle than she deserves. Harry was asked to assume more responsibility and he accepted before he met and married Meghan. No one forced it on him.

As his wife, Meghan plays a supportive role in his duties. She isn’t needed for him to carry on those responsibilities and no one would have criticized her (within the institution) if she had felt she needed to be eased in to the role and spend more time educating and preparing herself. In fact, I am sure they would have been fully supportive, because of the past.

This isn’t about the Queen. This is about Harry and Meghan‘s unrealistic expectations of their place within the institution and their desire to be front and center Stars rather than supportive players. Period.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This is about Harry and Meghan‘s unrealistic expectations of their place within the institution and their desire to be front and center Stars rather than supportive players. Period.
Hopefully their 'comeuppance' will be delivered in a few days and we can get on with life without them in the UK..
Old 01-18-2020, 12:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I respectively disagree. If Meghan had felt she needed the time to accustom herself to her new position, her country and her role within the institution the Queen would have been more than accommodating. Meghan stated she was ready to hit the ground running and that is what she did. That is all on her. Not the Queen.
How can you be sure of that? I don't say she forced a reluctant Meghan, but I think that she was more than willing to get her onto the work rota.. I think that she was more easy going about Kate and other royal brides.. but now, time IS running short. In a few years, the queen Will be very old or have passed away.. Charles will be in charge, and he has a cadre of older support royals who are likely to be retiring or ill or passing away too. He has lost Andrew... so all he has realistically is his 2 boys and their wives...
Old 01-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Hopefully their 'comeuppance' will be delivered in a few days and we can get on with life without them in the UK..
People can get to that now to be honest. Whatever happens as far as terms will be what they all agree too. Not the judgement of those who are clueless to the actual situation.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
How can you be sure of that? I don't say she forced a reluctant Meghan, but I think that she was more than willing to get her onto the work rota.. I think that she was more easy going about Kate and other royal brides.. but now, time IS running short. In a few years, the queen Will be very old or have passed away.. Charles will be in charge, and he has a cadre of older support royals who are likely to be retiring or ill or passing away too. He has lost Andrew... so all he has realistically is his 2 boys and their wives...
And his sister Anne, who is slightly younger and his brother Edward and sister-in-law Sophie who are only in their mid 50s.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
How many of Meghan's activities have been taken from the existing workload? I have the impression that most of the solo work she's done is extra work that wasn't there when she joined. I'm not saying it's wrong for a new member to introduce additional work, just that it was too much too soon.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
People can get to that now to be honest. Whatever happens as far as terms will be what they all agree too. Not the judgement of those who are clueless to the actual situation.
Yes, the resolution will be one that will benefit all of them. There will be no punishment because they’ve done nothing wrong. That doesn’t mean the Sussexes will get everything they want either. They may be required to pay for their security and home abroad. They were comfortable in a 4 bedroom home, so I see them buying something similar in a gated neighborhood. As far as security, there are private security firms that cater to high profile individuals, so that’s not really a big deal tbqh.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I would not bet on it.

Having reflected on it, the RF is playing the long game whereas Harry and Meghan are playing the short game. I think like some of us, the RF expect a divorce sooner rather than later and want to ensure that Harry can turn to them when it happens. He will then be welcomed back into the family fold and Meghan will find out what being thrown to the wolves really means

As their actions so far suggest, Harry and Meghan are doing this to get (what they consider) a fair shake in the press. The are trying to limit access to media that will only positively report on their activities. However it has been created, there is a ton of public interest in them and the rest of the media will not stand for missing out on a piece of the action ($$$). They will look for every opportunity to tear them (mostly her) to shreds. You need to be able to get a high amount of positive press to be able to continue as global humanitarians-- the media will make sure that this never happens. No one wants their charitable endeavors associated with controversy which means that SussexRoyal will find collaboration opportunities not that easy to come by.

Closed Thread