The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But they are not "most young couples". When Royals take on a role, they are usually expected to stick with it.. Its not that easy to replace them. Charles' older relatives are getting on, they cant do as much. The queen is very old now. 2 years ago, Meg and Harry took on the royal duties role when tey got married.. Harry knows what it entails, even if Meg doesn't.. so he really should have explained it to her, that this was something they couldn't/shoudln't back down on, so they'd better be quite sure they were willing to go on with it..
The thing is that no where have they stated that they'd *not* be continuing the roles they already have in place. There is no indication that any of the roles they have now will go by the wayside and need someone else to pick them up.

This is what I think is a huge misconception in all of this. They'll not walk away from any roles, charities or patronages that they already have but perhaps not take on so many more going into the future. Its explicitly stated that they plan to keep on supporting the Queen and the monarchy and also launch their foundation. There'll be more time "away" to focus on their family.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

Did Diana cut friends off? I'll be honest, I was never a fan of hers, so I didn't follow her.

Now using the media....I am familiar with, lol
Yes, Diana cut off people, there were a number of friends and even family she wasn’t speaking to at the time of her death including her mother. She sometimes became friendly again with some of them. For example, she cut off her friendship with Elton John, but she made up with him at Versace’s funeral shortly before her death.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Aristocracy

This is a tricky question for the Moderators.

What wil happen to H & M's status on these forums?

Of course any threads relating to the part they play in the BRF or to their work as royals etc will be valid but I don't want to know about their private work nor should these forums provide publicity for their brand.

Whatever work their brand does will be at the expense of the BRF and the Queen. She is an amazing lady and the original feminist IMO.

I vote we give them the privacy they claim to seek!
Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 PM
Royal Highness

I’m listening to a podcast with Omid Scobie and Victoria Arbiter. Victoria believes that it’s possible that this “half-in, half-out” plan is because Harry loves and is devoted to the Queen, but that his and Meghan’s ultimate goal is to completely separate. So....that implies that Harry would have those same feelings about his father and brother, and that’s truly disappointing to me.

Quote:
Yes, Diana cut off people, there were a number of friends and even family she wasn’t speaking to at the time of her death including her mother. She sometimes became friendly again with some of them. For example, she cut off her friendship with Elton John, but she made up with him at Versace’s funeral shortly before her death.
Wow...what a shame that she wasn’t speaking to her mother - I didn’t know that. Of course friendships can end for various reasons, but cutting people off completely on a regular basis seems rather rough...
Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Does your country require complete commitment to a project made in advance of experiencing the project? It seems that she and her husband are doing what most young couples do, and working out/defining their marriage as they go along - without reference to "country" perhaps. Maybe neither of them wants to put country above their own relationship with each other and with Archie.

However, I can see that your own bias runs so deep that Meghan has no chance with you (or, apparently with many Brits). It's as if she has to run a gauntlet. Apart from being an awful idea in the first place (to create a guantlet), at least Meghan and Harry have a choice about participating. Something of a choice, anyway.
Harry’s own brother was allowed to be a part-time royal for a number of years so as to ensure the success of his marriage and family. I’m still not sure why Harry asking for the same consideration, plus the opportunity to be financially independent, is causing all this angst. Harry is placing his family first. Just as others have done.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
Harry’s own brother was allowed to be a part-time royal for a number of years so as to ensure the success of his marriage and family. I’m still not sure why Harry asking for the same consideration, plus the opportunity to be financially independent, is causing all this angst. Harry is placing his family first. Just as others have done.
Agree with this post; the fuss is because a) the Sussex family is targeted by media whatever they do and b) British tabloids want to create distraction from Brexit on January 31
Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I remember hearing at the time of her death that she was also estranged from her brother due to his declining to allow her use of the guest house at Althorp as a country home and his wanting to have the Spencer tiara returned to Althorp. She was also on the outs with Sarah, Duchess of York due to her claiming in an interview that she had borrowed a pair of Diana’s shoes and got a foot fungus, which sounds about right coming out of her mouth. It was many years ago, but that was the rumors I recall.

Correction: The Spencer Tiara was an earlier issue between them when he married.his first wife noe that I think of it.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Agree with this post; the fuss is because a) the Sussex family is targeted by media whatever they do and b) British tabloids want to create distraction from Brexit on January 31
Actually, the fuss is because William took on part time duties while he was serving in the military and while he was working full time as an air ambulance pilot for which he also donated his salary if I remember correctly. He was also newly married, not almost two years in. Had Harry and Meghan announced at the time of their marriage that they would only take on part time duties or would combine some sort of service work (such as an air ambulance pilot) with part time duties everyone would have been perfectly understanding. Instead, they've been married almost two years, took on full time duties including a high profile role with the Commonwealth, and decided to go about this in a catastrophic manner. Rather than a calm, cool, and collected statement two years ago that would have put paid to all of this right from the start, they took on the job, decided they didn't like it, and rather than allowing for the necessary time and arrangements, blew it all up in spectacular fashion and showing incredible disregard and disrespect for both HM and the RF not to mention the monarchy as an institution. That's what all the angst is about.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 PM
Majesty

William didn't work full time as an air ambulance pilot. It was a part time job. Harry was a fulltime Royal at the time of his wedding because both brothers did so due to Prince Philip's retirement from Royal duties.

I can just imagine the British media tearing into Harry and Meghan for stating that they wished to be part time royals from the start. There would have been article after article contrasting Harry and Meghan with fulltime William and Kate, who had three children. I don't think there would have been too much 'understanding'.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Disagree with this. William & Kate were part time Royals immediately after their marriage. There was never any suggestion that they would not “upgrade” later on. Harry & Meghan went straight into the Royal role and now, after a couple of years want to step back, and live OS and be “financially independent”. Everything about the Sussex situation screams “we’re gone”.

I honestly cannot ever see Meghan returning to the UK for any substantial period of time. Harry, maybe, I’m not sure. Yes, I know what the website said about still performing royal duties, but I can’t see it. It might happen for a year or two but then I see the Royal duties getting fewer and fewer. The Queen”s statement did not read to me as if she were contemplating a situation like the Cambridge one.

As for distracting from Brexit, with the exception of the Mirror, the tabloids were the Brexit cheerleaders. They want to celebrate Brexit, not try to make people forget it.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
William didn't work full time as an air ambulance pilot. It was a part time job. Harry was a fulltime Royal at the time of his wedding because both brothers did so due to Prince Philip's retirement from Royal duties.

I can just imagine the British media tearing into Harry and Meghan for stating that they wished to be part time royals from the start. There would have been article after article contrasting Harry and Meghan with fulltime William and Kate, who had three children. I don't think there would have been too much 'understanding'.
Ok. Full time or part time he was performing a service based job which he donated his pay for and performed royal duties at the same time. That's entirely different from cherrypicking your royal duties and earning "professional income" which is clearly intended to come from corporate deals, speaking engagements, and who knows what else. The issue of whether William worked full time or part time with the air ambulance is the least of the issues here.

As for media understanding, none of us know what the media would have been like had they made their decision at the time of their engagement or marriage AND worked with the Queen and Company to craft an appropriate statement and announcement.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 PM
Royal Highness

Interesting article.....

Especially without Harry, yes Charles will need help, but who? Referring back to the beginning of the article, I can’t say I disagree with his reasoning for a slimmer down monarchy. Lastly, I do hope he’s right about William and Harry...I think they will eventually heal the rift; they just might need space.

Quote:
Harry's plan puts Charles in a ticklish spot faced by many parents, albeit on a much smaller financial scale. He is in the position to decide whether Harry and Meghan continue to receive money from the Duchy of Cornwall estate, with annual revenue of more than 20 million pounds ($26 million), once they have for the most part abandoned their royal roles.

Collateral damage has included the previously close bond between Harry and William, who hold a special place in many Britons’ hearts as the offspring of the late Princess Diana. Many remember them walking silently in her funeral cortege in 1997. William has not commented publicly on the breach, but Harry has said they are now on “different paths.”

Removing Andrew and Harry from the equation will leave the monarchy with a smaller footprint: fewer senior royals gathered on the Buckingham Palace balcony to wave to the throngs at national events, fewer to open hospitals and help raise money for charities, and fewer using public funds to pay for official travel and events. There will also be fewer royal households with competing interests.

Until these recent seismic events, the royal entourage has grown along with Elizabeth’s family. She is the longest reigning monarch in British history, with four children who have started families of their own. There are grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well. Some have scorned royal titles, but others have not, leading to a proliferation of princes and princesses.

Royal historian and author Hugo Vickers cautions that Charles may be misguided in his plans to shrink the monarchy because the extended family actually provides substantial help.

“I think it's most unwise because other members of the royal family help with a lot of things the monarch cannot do,” he said. “He'll soon find he needs to be helped.”
https://news.yahoo.com/royal-rift-uk-monarchy-look-074040071.html

Whew...that’s a lot of dough. Here’s hoping that Charles will choose not to fund Harry and Meghan...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7900913/RICHARD-KAY-Prince-Wales-lavishing-millions-sons-William-Harry.html
Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I tend to agree with you Pranter, especially your last paragraph.

I’ll add, I’ve always thought Harry had a chip on his shoulder/resentment towards his father and grandmother in the way his mother was treated during/after his parents divorce.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but I do think Harry has been mollycoddled where that has become his “norm”. When he married, I can’t help but think there was a sigh of relief from his elders hoping that this would see him settled in some way and building a marvelous future for himself and his bride.

Today I don’t think it’s a chip/resentment anymore. I think it’s a deep internal rage that’s now playing out in public. I think he’s a very angry young man.
I totally agree with your assessment of Harry. Before Harry met Meghan and got married, he seemed to be in a happier place. He talked about getting counseling due to William's encouragement, and I thought he was coming to a place of acceptance of his position in the Royal family. But for the past year, he has looked visibly unhappy and strained. He does seem to be carrying around a lot of anger. I can speculate on what it is and what I think he should do, but I am sure it is far more complicated than that. I hope for his sake and his relationship with his family, he can get it worked out. I don't agree with the approach he is taking, though. There is something called being responsible, living up to commitments, and not letting down the institution who supports you.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 PM
Majesty

Sorry, Heather, I don't agree. Whatever announcement had been crafted the tabloids would have had a field day with contrast and compare for months.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Actually, the fuss is because William took on part time duties while he was serving in the military and while he was working full time as an air ambulance pilot for which he also donated his salary if I remember correctly. He was also newly married, not almost two years in. Had Harry and Meghan announced at the time of their marriage that they would only take on part time duties or would combine some sort of service work (such as an air ambulance pilot) with part time duties everyone would have been perfectly understanding. Instead, they've been married almost two years, took on full time duties including a high profile role with the Commonwealth, and decided to go about this in a catastrophic manner. Rather than a calm, cool, and collected statement two years ago that would have put paid to all of this right from the start, they took on the job, decided they didn't like it, and rather than allowing for the necessary time and arrangements, blew it all up in spectacular fashion and showing incredible disregard and disrespect for both HM and the RF not to mention the monarchy as an institution. That's what all the angst is about.
Yes, this....Also, if Harry always wanted to escape, why not even bring this up to his father and the Queen before the marriage? If he always wanted to escape, I figure he didn’t try very hard to teach Meghan about the Royal life or to encourage her to be patient, to reassure her that she’d “get it”. ...This end result was inevitable
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Harry was quite young when Charles and Divorced. William was the one that took the brunt of the drama during that time.

I agree that Harry may have been spoiled more due to not having as high expectations placed on him and due to his own charm and mischievousness. However, he has very much come into his own and done some wonderful work with his charities and with the Invicitus games. WE all hoped he had matured and was ready to settle down and use his energies to be a great asset to the BRF with his new wife. Unfortunately, it is turning out to be the opposite.

Harry is definitely an angry bitter young man, and it is not an attractive thing to witness. For a young man who has so much going for him and has so many advantages the victim role doesn't sit well and for a man who advocates Mental Health Awareness and seeking help rather than suppressing it, he is not doing the cause any favors when his solution is to have temper tantrums, stomp his feet and run away. He needs therapy in a very bad way.
Because of what William went through being Diana's confidant, I am more than shocked that he is not unstable, but he seems to have a responsible head on his shoulders. He seems very stable and self-controlled. Also, as others have said, he has been raised to be King, which is quite different to how Harry was raised. I think a lot of William's stability is due to that (probably) different approach, but I also think that William meeting Kate and her family when he was on the verge of adulthood helped to cement the stable person he has become. He spent a lot of time with her and them and was allowed privacy though an agreement with the press to experience what an everyday stable family life is. He is very blessed in that the person he fell in love with and wanted to marry is a very strong, self-confident person. I will never forget how she carried herself the day after the nude pictures of her were published by that horrible magazine. She was the epitome of grace and duty. William is very blessed to have found her early in life. It makes me wonder if there had been some sort of stabilizing influence on Harry early on, if things would have been different for him.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

I think if it had been said they wanted to start a family and have Meghan adjust to all the changes in her life for a couple years as she learned her role, there would have been understanding.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I saw this, found it hilarious.
It is interesting learning how one of their friends feels about the Sussex's decision. I suspect the rest of them feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ermission.html
Wow, she now can breath? Well, she knew what she was getting into, I would trade my life with her for a month and she could see what it is really to have your soul crash!
I think Meghan is going to soon learn she still can't do what she pleases, if she wants to retain some of the royal perks, that is. She needs a reality check. I just read that the courtiers working out the details of Harry and Meghan's "stepping back" have hit a road block. I wonder what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I can't figure out all the quote functions either!

I just think it's good to keep in mind that 99 percent of what we know is what the tabloid media are telling us.

LaRae
I can't figure them out either. I accidently put my post into aquote I was reponding to. I was giving a different perspective, but when I posted it looked like I was saying one thing in the first part of my paragraph, and the opposite thing in the second part.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The thing is that no where have they stated that they'd *not* be continuing the roles they already have in place. There is no indication that any of the roles they have now will go by the wayside and need someone else to pick them up.

This is what I think is a huge misconception in all of this. They'll not walk away from any roles, charities or patronages that they already have but perhaps not take on so many more going into the future. Its explicitly stated that they plan to keep on supporting the Queen and the monarchy and also launch their foundation. There'll be more time "away" to focus on their family.

The problem is, by their recent actions they haven't exactly supported the Queen and the Monarchy. Rather, they have instead insisted that the Queen and the Monarchy support them. I tend now to take their words at face value.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who can't figure out how to do the double quote. I've screwed up so many posts trying to do it and I never get it right.

Anyhow, it's been very clear over the years from Harry's own words that he's been looking for something. I very much believe that he thought he knew what he was looking for but I'm not sure that he really did. It was clear that he was looking for a happy and stable marriage and family and someone to really be his rock, similar to what it appears his brother found with Kate and, by extension, her family. In fact, we've heard Harry refer to William and Kate's happy marriage before with what I would call longing. I think he really thought that he had found that with Meghan but I also believe that deep down he knew that there were concerns. Yes, I'm sure the desire for children was a part of his fast actions but I also believe that deep down in his gut he was always concerned that she'd get too close and then see that she couldn't handle that life and bolt. Remember, it had already happened to him twice. So he rushed into this marriage with the need for a steady, happy, settling rock. But the truth is, Meghan's never exactly been the settled and steady type. Both in her family background and in her previous life and career she was constantly on the move and on the go. She lived in South America, Canada, etc. She was by her own admission a very free-spirited type. And, as I and many others have pointed out, she was coming from not only a broken family but an incredibly dysfunctional broken family.

I honestly think Harry was putting all his needs and hopes on this both consciously and subconsciously and then when she decided she couldn't handle this he completely fell apart and crumbled. Someone above commented about how coldly or harshly he was handling this with his family and while my first instinct was a very "how could he dare" kind of feeling, the more I think about it I think we're witnessing a very angry, heartbroken, confused man who is, once again, trying to pick up the pieces in a lifetime spent trying to pick up the pieces from various traumas and come aparts. Sometimes when we're very stressed, worried, sad, and trying our best to simply hang on we become cold and harsh with those closest to us, even when we don't really intend to. I suspect this is what we're seeing with Harry. The pictures coming out of Canada look like a woman who's set free without a care in the world where, by contrast, the pictures coming from the UK look like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders and I think that contrast speaks volumes.
I think your assessment makes a lot of sense. And, she should be here in the UK with him since the "stepping back" decision and what the Palace decides is going to affect her as much as him. But, there she is in Canada, all laughing and happy, looking like she does not have a care in the world, while her husband is by himself in the UK dealing with one of the most life changing decisions he has ever faced.

Closed Thread