The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

Is that the book that tells women how to land a man (by playing by certain rules)? !!
Yes it is! I am sure she played all the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
She needs him for the title. Until she becomes a British citizen, Duchess of Sussex is a courtesy title and in case of a divorce the best she could do is call herself Ms. Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor. If she is a British citizen (she loses all accrued time if she spends 90 days outside the country in any given year), she would be entitled to call herself Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

Also, IMO, the platform heavily depends on her being a member of the BRF. No one is going to want to finance Ms. Meghan Markle as a globe trotting philanthropist but a lot of people would be willing to do so for HRH The Duchess of Sussex or even Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
Don't you need to stay in the country 5 years to get citizenship? or is she so previlage that she can get it just because she married Harry?

Old 01-17-2020, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
She needs him for the title. Until she becomes a British citizen, Duchess of Sussex is a courtesy title and in case of a divorce the best she could do is call herself Ms. Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor. If she is a British citizen (she loses all accrued time if she spends 90 days outside the country in any given year), she would be entitled to call herself Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
Meghan's title has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship in the UK. She takes the feminine form of her husband's titles upon marriage. Should Harry and Meghan divorce, she would be Meghan, Duchess of Sussex in the same styling as both Diana and Sarah took after divorce. No HRH, but able to use their ex-husband's peerage styling until remarriage. Using the woman's first name followed by the feminine form of the peerage title denotes that she, at one time was married to the peer holder. Many women can and do retain their married surname after divorce.

So, if she were to be divorced from Harry, she'd be Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and legally able to use that styling until she remarried. Sarah, Duchess of York is still using that styling and she's been divorced since 1996.

On another note. Could someone please direct me to credible sources that state absolutely that both Harry and Meghan are seeking to "get away" from the toxicity of the BRF? Everything I've read so far points to an aim to curtail their full time involvement with the "Firm" to being part time and still doing the royal duties and engagements representing Crown and Country but on a more limited scale. The more I read here, it becomes apparent that people are seeing it all as cutting the BRF off completely, moving to Canada never to return again and totally divorcing themselves as anything "royal". Isn't that a bit over stating what is actually going on? Just curious.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Also, IMO, the platform heavily depends on her being a member of the BRF. No one is going to want to finance Ms. Meghan Markle as a globe trotting philanthropist but a lot of people would be willing to do so for HRH The Duchess of Sussex or even Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

Why does she need to be a British citizen to be called Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, if divorced ?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Perhaps that was her sole method of getting 'at him' ? By all accounts his old 'friends' have been dropped like a stone...

The temptation of revenge may have proved irresistible ?
Maybe Harry dropped them because they had the nerve to express concern about Meghan...same reason for the rift with William
Old 01-17-2020, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I think that's a very good point. Now, in all fairness, none of us know what life is truly like inside the BRF but, it's a very good point that just because a certain lifestyle isn't for you doesn't make it toxic. And I think that might really be what's at the heart of some of the outrage about all this. It has been handled atrociously but the image being put out there of the BRF being toxic is really offensive and outrageous to many people and even though we really can't say with certainty what it's like, just because it is different than any other lifestyle and understandably might not be ideal for everyone based on personality, background, etc., it's not inherently toxic just because someone or a couple of someones are unhappy in it.
Or it could be. People sometimes get defensive when things are brought to light. All experiences are different. Who are we to say what is or isnít? And frankly the atmosphere where certain family members are told others are more important and prioritized over all others could very well be seen as not the best.

It is great that the Cambridges are great (or are displaying that anyways) but they are treated differently than the rest for obvious reasons. It just goes back to we donít know the true dynamics at play or how anything really went down. Only the family truly knows the real truth. And thatís how they want it to stay.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

However, once things are worked out and set for moving forward, I would predict that both Harry and Meghan would be back and forth between the UK and Canada and when in the UK, residing at Frogmore Cottage. I just don't get the vibe that Meghan will never, ever return to the UK at all. She's staying put with her son in one place until things are resolved.
I would more sure about this if she was in the UK right now . The way it looks to me , she came back for 5 minutes , threw a metaphorical bomb and fled , leaving Harry behind to pick up the pieces .
Old 01-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Maybe Harry dropped them because they had the nerve to express concern about Meghan...same reason for the rift with William
If that's true, and I do believe it's highly likely that it is, I think one day he'll come to regret it. Just as I believe he'll regret much of what's taken place over the last few years, I believe that cutting out those friends who've been loyal, discreet, and supportive over the years will be one of those regrets. Sometimes the people who love us most show that love by telling us when we're wrong, voicing their concerns when they see us walking into something potentially harmful to us, and telling us hard truths that we might not like to hear.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Until she becomes a British citizen, Duchess of Sussex is a courtesy title

Not true at all. A courtesy title is a secondary title, nothing about the Dukedom of Sussex is courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Why does she need to be a British citizen to be called Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, if divorced ?

She doesnít.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Or just maybe the old expression "wedding bells are breaking up this old gang of mine" happened. I speak from experience that it happens. It happened with me when I settled down and started a family. Lifestyle changes and priorities change drastically. It can go from partying at clubs and weekends away and going to concerts and sports events to staying home, playing cards and having said card game broken up sporadically due to a kid needing a diaper change or feeding.

From all I've seen with Harry and Meghan's courtship, neither one of them were jet setting social people but rather stay at home cooking chicken dinners and taking long walks kind of people. William's life also changed when he married and became a father. Why should it be different for Harry?

This also reminds me that at one time, it was stated by the Cambridges that they work things out between them that there is always one of the home with the kids. I'm tending to believe this is true with Meghan and Archie. Both Harry and Meghan believe that Archie is their first priority in everything right now. They don't need to be in each other's back pockets all the time to present a unified front.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Or just maybe the old expression "wedding bells are breaking up this old gang of mine" happened. I speak from experience that it happens. It happened with me when I settled down and started a family. Lifestyle changes and priorities change drastically. It can go from partying at clubs and weekends away and going to concerts and sports events to staying home, playing cards and having said card game broken up sporadically due to a kid needing a diaper change or feeding.

From all I've seen with Harry and Meghan's courtship, neither one of them were jet setting social people but rather stay at home cooking chicken dinners and taking long walks kind of people. William's life also changed when he married and became a father. Why should it be different for Harry?
It's very true that things do change when marriage and family are brought into the equation. But it's also quite true that you don't have to drop all of your long-term friends just because you now happen to be married and be a parent. And, given that loyalty and long term friendship seems to be a very, very valued thing for people in their position it would make sense to make changes but not drop them entirely. And I think that's what people are saying with the comparison to William. Sure, there's now kids and inlaws and spouses and grown up responsibilities but William very much appears to have kept all of his long term and loyal friendships in place and these friends, along with their spouses and children, are still very much a central and loved part of his inner circle. If Harry has truly dropped his inner circle it's a very, very bad idea because everyone and especially people in his position, need a circle they can trust and if you can add spouses and children to that circle then even better.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The way it looks to me , she came back for 5 minutes , threw a metaphorical bomb and fled , leaving Harry behind to pick up the pieces .
This is how her behaviour is seen in the UK, and why I think she will not be accepted here again - should she chose to 'try again' - all trust in her is gone, and all goodwill with it...
Old 01-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Perhaps that was her sole method of getting 'at him' ? By all accounts his old 'friends' have been dropped like a stone...

The temptation of revenge may have proved irresistible ?
Or the DM was stirring the pot like usual.

Roses response to the DM.

https://www.instagram.com/roseastor_/?hl=en
Old 01-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not true at all. A courtesy title is a secondary title, nothing about the Dukedom of Sussex is courtesy.

She doesnít.
You may be right. It is oft repeated in the media but when I went to search for an official source, I cannot seem to find one. Will keep looking
Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Who says Harry has dropped all his friends? I remember very clearly the papers trying to claim Harryís good friend Adam Bidwell was ďdroppedĒ because he didnít get along with Meghan. Then their tune changed when he turned up at polo alongside Meghan and Archie. Just saying...

These papers have their own agenda.
Royal Highness

Quote:
If that's true, and I do believe it's highly likely that it is, I think one day he'll come to regret it. Just as I believe he'll regret much of what's taken place over the last few years, I believe that cutting out those friends who've been loyal, discreet, and supportive over the years will be one of those regrets. Sometimes the people who love us most show that love by telling us when we're wrong, voicing their concerns when they see us walking into something potentially harmful to us, and telling us hard truths that we might not like to hear.
Meghanís ex-friend and business partner wrote recently about how she expressed concern to Meghan about marrying unto the BRF and the completely different lifestyle that requires...and Meghan apparently cut her off, said something to the effect that ďIím happy nowĒ and that was it.....Meghan cut this woman out of her life. Sound familiar ?

Many of the media, who seem to personally like Harry, describe him as mercurial - so how he feels and acts may change from day to day. If he cuts himself off from his family, Iíve no doubt heíll regret it. Of course there are phones and other ways to communicate with loved ones, but to paraphrase a famous line, ďthe BRF are not like you and meĒ. Is Harry going to just pick up the phone and call his father when heís not used to doing that (Iím basing this on what Iíve read about how Royals communicate with each other )? Will he do that for the Queen? Philip? William ? The same goes vice versa..

What a shame that Harry has cut himself off from his friends ...heís really isolated himself from everyone who loves him
Imperial Majesty

Duke of Sussex is not a courtesy title. It's a peerage. A courtesy title would be what his children use. If Archie was called Earl of Dunbarton, that would be a courtesy title. When referring to Harry, it's a peerage, for his son to use it, courtesy. He doesn't hold the peerage, he just has courtesy to use the title.

Meghan never has to be a Uk citizen. She uses her husband's title instead of a last name. Instead of being Mrs Harry Windsor, she is Princess Harry, Duchess of Sussex. Royals who have a peerage do not use a last name. And if they ever divorced, just like any ex wife, she could continue to use it. Simply go from HRH the duchess, to Meghan, duchess of Sussex. Nothing at all to do with citizenship.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
You may be right. It is oft repeated in the media but when I went to search for an official source, I cannot seem to find one. Will keep looking
Sorry, but what are you on about? What is often repeated in the media?

The Queen conferred upon her grandson the Dukedom of Sussex, with two subsidiary titles. Earl of Dumbarton would be Henry's primary courtesy title that his son could use. Upon marriage, Meghan became The Duchess of Sussex. Should they divorce, she would be Meghan, Duchess of Sussex until Henry remarried. The title is by no means linked to Meghan being a british citizen, else she shouldn't be holding it now?

This link announces the official creation of Letters Patent in regards to the title.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3071743

No mention of citizenship.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's very true that things do change when marriage and family are brought into the equation. But it's also quite true that you don't have to drop all of your long-term friends just because you now happen to be married and be a parent. And, given that loyalty and long term friendship seems to be a very, very valued thing for people in their position it would make sense to make changes but not drop them entirely. And I think that's what people are saying with the comparison to William. Sure, there's now kids and inlaws and spouses and grown up responsibilities but William very much appears to have kept all of his long term and loyal friendships in place and these friends, along with their spouses and children, are still very much a central and loved part of his inner circle. If Harry has truly dropped his inner circle it's a very, very bad idea because everyone and especially people in his position, need a circle they can trust and if you can add spouses and children to that circle then even better.
I was just about to say this part in bold. Itís hard to trust people when youíre rich and famous - even more so when youíre part of the BRF. Itís hard to know who truly cares about you and whoís just out for themselves, and when you find the former, you tend to cling to them. Those are the people who can speak the truth to you, who have your best interests are heart.

While itís true about marriage and family often changing relationships, I suspect this isnít true in the case of friendships that members of the BRF have outside of royalty. Friends outside that life who have stuck by Harry, William or whomever through everything would not, I believe, tend to disappear just because their friend is no longer single and up for partying
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
She doesnít. She can call herself that if she wants.
It wonít officially be on her U.S. passport or driverís license, just as Duchess of Sussex isnít now.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
She doesnít. She can call herself that if she wants.
It wonít officially be on her U.S. passport or driverís license, just as Duchess of Sussex isnít now.
Not related at all, just out of curiosity. Isn't it on her passport or driving license? She's not Meghan Markle, Archie's birth certificate shows she took Henry's name, so what would she be?

No digs intended, I am genuinely curious.