The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really sad to hear this. I am at work and don't have time to read all the 400+ posts
Prince Harry was born into this and when someone has to give up so much of who he is h'mm... doesn't sound so good
On a sarcastic level, I feel Meghan was tiffed off that Archie isn't a HRH:whistling:
also I feel it never sat well with her playing second fiddle to Kate

More like fourth fiddle, both are behind HM and Camilla.

I do agree that this will be a rough transition for Harry. It will probably go quite seamless for Meghan, her old life from two years ago is still fresh her memories. It will just be reverting back to her natural setting. But with Harry I think he'll find it harder to adapt outside of the BRF than Meghan found to adapt inside of it.

I personal think they want there cake and eat it, they want to do want they want , but if the Queen needs them with the commonwealth they will help ! !.....I think out or in, nothing in between , you cant have it all.

Did the website url change? It is now https://sussexofficial.uk, wasn't it sussexroyal.com as noted on the first post of this thread?

ETA:
Nevermind, it is working now, maybe it was a temporary crash.

there seems to be 2 websites, sussexroyal and sussexofficial (this last one only containing the press release harry did after the SA tour). all to show that they don't have a clear strategy.

Silly question, but how would Harry and Meghan live and work in Canada for an extended period of time ? What would their immigration status be ? I am assuming neither one is a Canadian citizen.

and yet another great question that reinforces that these two went bonkers and sought advice of no one - not even an immigration lawyer. of course, they believe their status (which is now in question left, right and centre) will just 'buy them' the right to be in canada because of some obscure/made up reason, which the average citizen would never get access to. presumptuous and arrogant at its very essence.

to all of us who wondered what their 'comeback' engagement at canada house on tuesday was about (to 'thank canada for their hospitality'), i guess it now makes (slightly more) sense. this statement was in the cards and their move to canada was decided. who knows, maybe they wanted to pave the way for their move there, including seeking a canadian passport.

This seems to be the above referenced story from The Sun. It was published on the newspaper's website on Tuesday, January 7.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10693487/prince-harry-meghan-move-to-canada/

It says:

The article then quotes further details from anonymous "friends of the couple".

shows how respected they are in their intimate circles that their friends leak such a bomb to the press. :ermm:

And does this stop Meghan’s application for British citizenship?

i believe so. to be in canada 6 months of the year is too long to be out of the UK when claiming citizenship.

This is very sad and he showed no respect to his almost 94 & 99 year old grandparents who have dutiful worked their whole lives

the more i read on this, the more i feel for the queen and DOE mostly. they are old and this is first and foremost their grandson. the queen had his back through the many times he screwed up, and welcomed him back lovingly - when he appeared naked in vegas, when he dressed up as a nazi, and the many more i am probably forgetting. and he repays like this? if i were him, and my grandparents were of old age, i'd never forgive myself for this when i looked back in the future and they were no longer with me. time heals, as they say, but the queen and DOE probably don't have a lot of years left to fully heal from a betrayal like this.

Last edited:
I personal think they want there cake and eat it, they want to do want they want , but if the Queen needs them with the commonwealth they will help ! !.....I think out or in, nothing in between , you cant have it all.

I've never seen such consensus of opinion on any of these forums. We all seem to agree they have to be in or out, this halfway house arrangement is a total non starter. I'm absolutely sure they will be told this by the royal household as well.

I've never seen such consensus of opinion on any of these forums. We all seem to agree they have to be in or out, this halfway house arrangement is a total non starter. I'm absolutely sure they will be told this by the royal household as well.

yep - I know that there are at least a few royal employers that ghost this forum. Perhaps a royal or two. Hopefully one works for the Sussex's and has backbone. This is beyond foolish and shortsighted.

Harry and Meghan want to do everything on their time - the Queen and Charles were trying to remedy this situation and come up with a workable solution for everyone, but oh no, the Sussexes couldn’t wait. Frankly, despite their loathing of the media, they come off as desperately needing the media’s attention...

As far as I’m concerned, they shouldn’t get any protection - and if they want to be financially independent, don’t allow Charles to support them any longer. I hope they’re happy - whatever they gained by this idiocy, they lost in family.

What's the word on the streets this morning in Britain?

What do people you overhear say?

Are they disappointed? Angry? Indifferent towards H&M (I.e. a: Okay have a nice live)? Don't really care? Embarrassed? Supportive?

I think the professional commentators are just as clueless as we are, but the reaction among ordinary people is crucial.

Are they disappointed? Angry? Indifferent towards H&M (I.e. a: Okay have a nice live)? Don't really care? Embarrassed? Supportive?

I think the professional commentators are just as clueless as we are, but the reaction among ordinary people is crucial.

The everyday person isn’t going to care frankly, there are far bigger issues to deal with.

Currently watching the BBC and the royal correspondent is basically saying everything we’ve said. Financial independence isn’t going to work, as Henry has never been financially independent even during his time in the army. You can’t have one foot in one world, and one in the other. Part time royal life doesn’t work.

They’re just going to be under more scrutiny now, especially financially.

A friend of Cressida’s tweeted this yesterday;

Last edited:
From what I am reading and hearing - and the TV news is starting their morning reports in the UK is largely mixed from supportive to seeing them as spoilt. The full gambit it seems to me.

That is a fair summary, I have also watched the morning shows, there is an element of sadness it has came to this but if this is what they want well fair enough. The one issue does seem to be the half way house, they should be either in or out also how financially independent are they going to be .Also interesting view by journalists that they will end up under further scrutiny.

I just saw this and was about to post it. I’m not sure what to think about it, but the fact they say to become “financially independent” struck me as odd. Sounds like they’re wanting to commercialize all things Sussex related which just makes me think they only want to be royal if they can make money off of it.
Jeepers how did you read this into them wanting to be financially independent????
:ermm:
I think they want people to know they wont be living off of taxpayers funds royal money you do realise Meghan and Harry have their own money dont you?

The everyday person isn’t going to care frankly, there are far bigger issues to deal with.

Currently watching the BBC and the royal correspondent is basically saying everything we’ve said. Financial independence isn’t going to work, as Henry has never been financially independent even during his time in the army. You can’t have one foot in one world, and one in the other. Part time royal life doesn’t work.

They’re just going to be under more scrutiny now, especially financially.

A friend of Cressida’s tweeted this yesterday;

Harry has money so does meghan

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know what to say about all this.

What confuses me: the Souvereign Grant makes only 5% of their income if I understood correct. 95% they still receive from the Prince of Wales?
What exactely is "owning your own money" then for? Giving up 5% sounds strange, because 95% you still get from your father.
Or do I misunderstand something?

And, to be honest: this announcement should have been made by the Queen. And then the both of them could comment on the situation.

This feels not right. Just my 2 cent.

Harry has money so does meghan

Jeepers how did you read this into them wanting to be financially independent????

:ermm:

I think they want people to know they wont be living off of taxpayers funds royal money you do realise Meghan and Harry have their own money dont you?

Except they don’t seem to want to use their own money. Their own website dictates that they’ll no longer be using the 5% of money given to them by the sovereign grant. The other 95% given to them by the POW to support what they do, they’re quite happy to keep.

Currently, even from their own words, I see no financial independence here. They’re no confirmation as to who’s going to pay for security when they’re not undertaking royal duties and they’re promoting their own Foundation? Why should the Duchy of Cornwall support someone not working for them.

The Michaels of Kent are an example of Royals who are making living on their own. This case, they didn't have a choice but the Sussexes did. Yes, it is a little odd because of Harry's closeness to the throne but times change.

Do both parties (will) profit from being royal and well-connected to the Queen? Yes. Is it immoral? Well, it is just a fact. Prince Michael was just born this way. Prince Harry was too. The thing is how they use it.

We'll see how it goes and how they will be monetizing their social position. Though I think there will be controversies...

First controversy for me is the money from the PoW, which they don't want to give up but they should IMO. You wanna be your own boss, that's fine but don't take other people's money unless you work for it. It looks quite like picking up the best treats from all the stuff connected to their social/family position and serparate from others which limit their freedom. You can't have both!

Last edited:
yep - I know that there are at least a few royal employers that ghost this forum. Perhaps a royal or two. Hopefully one works for the Sussex's and has backbone. This is beyond foolish and shortsighted.
Seriously you lot are unbelievable you read innuendo into everything. They are making a future for themselves away from the old royal way of life if you havent noticed the Queen is about to retire and Charles has made it clear for years that he is going to shake things up and make changes to the dependency of non essential royals. You realise that Harry is one of those a non essential he supported William until he wasnt needed anymore he has to forge his own future and he has never been comfortable in the eye of media. Clearly making a decision based on what he feels best for him and his family. Probably is still needed for some royal duties hence the parttime status. Its not difficult to understand or shocking.

That is a fair summary, I have also watched the morning shows, there is an element of sadness it has came to this but if this is what they want well fair enough. The one issue does seem to be the half way house, they should be either in or out also how financially independent are they going to be .Also interesting view by journalists that they will end up under further scrutiny.

Oh I'm sure about morę scrutiny. And even more media interest in their 'private citizen life'.
I can understand their intentions, but their actions have been extremely chaotic and lacking common sense and sensibility. With going their way they have created more drama and media interest that they would get if going 'the traditonal way' of doing things on BRF.

People are showing their true colors. Those who never really liked her from the start will think this confirms everything and Those who liked them say it's probably more complicated than it seems to be.

Don't be so overly dramatic. The BRF won't collapse, HM and prince Philip will be fine, they've had worse and Of course this has been discussed.

I people criticize Harry and Meghan for their poorly stated statement, BP's statement wasn't very thought out either. BP saying this comes as a complete surprise is odd. It's not like Harry or Meghan to not discus this. So BP's statement could also be seen as a stab in the back. It could have been worded differently.

Taking the sovereign grant puts them under the control of the sovereign.

Come on, apart from "Royals" all people with money can have their cake and eat it. Why should they accept to be different when all they got from being "purely Royal" was hate ful press articles and lies? And can you imagine what young Archie would have to hear about his mama as soon as he goes to preschool? Or about his granny Doria?

There will be people for whom Harry will always be the prince. And his wife the princess/duchess. Whatever they do (and I think the queen, Charles and William belong to this category). And then there will be people for whom both are superstars/celebrities.

With what they do now they minimalize the people IMHO who hate them for living "off the taypayer".

They get freedom but don't loose that much. But if the media had accepted Meghan, they would have stayed on, I'm sure. But the way things are, they go. Isn't that what the British tabloids wanted all along? Only they don't go quiet and mouselike but sparkling and producing their own media. Isn't that cute??? (It is, is my answer!)

A couple of points if I may:

1. There is no reason to remove HRH for this pair. Remember George VI insisted that Edward VIII, who was also a senior royal who walked away, kept his as he was always 'the son of a King'. He even went further and gave him his dukedom AFTER he stepped down.

2. Some years ago - in the late 90s I read, and again a number of times in the 2000s that the Queen wouldn't give consent to a royal marriage unless the couple had been together for at least five years. If true she has been proven right as all the marriages and couples, at the forefront of the BRF, since that time that have had those long relationships prior to marriage have lasted - Edward, Peter, Zara, William and Eugenie (well over a year). The only one that hasn't seemed to 'get the message' was the rushed marriage of Harry and Meghan. One has to ask - would Meghan have been able to accept the royal set-up better if she had been forced to wait another year or two? Diana and Charles had about 13 dates before the engagement and both knew it was wrong before the marriage. Sarah and Andrew about the same, with the added complication that he was hardly ever home due to being a serving officer in the navy. Harry and Meghan didn't have enough time together for her to really learn about the BRF and how it operated and now they want to run away, it seems. I do wonder if another year or two dating would have led to this or whether she would have upped sticks before the engagement? Was Harry scarred he wouldn't find someone 'to take him on' so he accepted the first person who did and did so without ensuring they fully understood what they were taking on? Is this what William was concerned about with the reported 'warning' to Harry?

3. I do think The Queen will stop them making money from using their title but insisting that any money made has to go to charity. If they do a talk show or something like that there will be rules put in place about what can and what can't be talked about I am sure. I do think that there will be a lot of 'rule setting' behind the scenes or a complete 'cut-off' even down to finding a way to remove Harry from the line of succession, even if they can't remove their titles e.g. insist that a person must reside in the UK for at least 10 months a year to be in the line of succession (and that would have the other advantage of shortening the line of succession from its current over 5000 down to a manageable 60 or so).

Imposing any “ residence requirement “ to be in the line of succession requires amending the succession law and, as seen with the Succession to the Crown Act, that could mean another two-year process as it requires consent of and sometimes legislation in the Commonwealth realms , in addition to an act of the UK parliament. I don’t see any appetite for that and I don’t think it will happen.

The only thing that is actually in the Queen’s immediate gift is to strip them of the HRH ( but not strip Harry of his peerages). Although I think she should do it, I don’t think she will. My prediction is that they will try to reach some sort of agreement with the Duke and the Duchess, but still keep them in the fold under the Firm’s chain of command. The goal of yesterday’s announcement , from H&M’s point of view was precisely to put pressure on the Palace in that negotiation, but it was done in the most inappropriate and inconsiderate way imaginable.

In other times, e.g. Queen Mary’s or the Queen Mother’s, they would be simply cut off, but I suspect times have changed and they don’t want to have a new Diana situation in their hands. We will see.

Last edited:
Gosh, this place has become almost as bad as Quora, with it's rumors of Meghans links to Jeffrey Epstein, George Soros, etc. Stories how she is a narcissist and he is a spineless twit. People are showing their true colors. Those who never really liked her from the start will think this confirms everything and Those who liked them say it's probably more complicated than it seems to be.

Don't be so overly dramatic. The BRF won't collapse, HM and prince Philip will be fine, they've had worse and Of course this has been discussed.

I people criticize Harry and Meghan for their poorly stated statement, BP's statement wasn't very thought out either. BP saying this comes as a complete surprise is odd. It's not like Harry or Meghan to not discus this. So BP's statement could also be seen as a stab in the back. It could have been worded differently.
Let's not forget it's not the queen or Charles who word such statements.

Everyday folk - Pretty much not caring.

The press office is rushing around - but there is a lot of news happening. The general consensus with the royal correspondence is to wait on the palace. There is going to be talks between the offices presumable and then details will be released. Unless Meghan and Harry talk first.

I have been doing a search and so far the only ones who have added "disappointed" (ostensibly said by a palace spokeswoman) to the official comment issued by the palace is BBC. Everybody else are quoting BBC.

To me that suggests an off the record opinion by someone in the PR office to a BBC reporter, no more.

But still no further official comments from the palace?

To quote myself from yesterday. No further elaboration by noon cannot be interpreted as anything but an official major rift within the BRF. Caused by a unilateral, uncoordinated statement by H&M.

---------

This is still all we have officially from the palace:

Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.

- Everything else is hearsay, second hand "sources", interpretations and opinions.

---------------

But the palace must elaborate soon, or they can forget all hopes about damage control.

As for the press: I don't know what demons the editors-in-chiefs are worshiping but I'm pretty certain they are happily giving thanks right now!
This means countless articles, features, documentaries, panel discussions, satire and so on for at least a couple of years.

-----------------

As others have pointed out, I too think this premature move by H&M is triggered by someone who really don't comprehend how a monarchy works.
But what about Harry? He knows how the monarchy works, right?
Well, opinions are contagious. If you surround yourself with people who have one opinion, you will gradually adhere to that opinion and/or you will be caught up and carried along - especially if emotions are involved.

One may assume that if they really want to be independent and led private lives and make living on their own they can always totally resign from Royal life, titles and privileges. Harry can disclaim his peerage and I'm sure that the Queen could issue a warrant to change their styles and titles as it depends entirely on the Sovereign's will. Princess Patricia of Connaught is an example.

Queen Victoria's father lived in Canada for a while. The Queen and Prince Philip spent some time in Malta, whilst Prince Philip was stationed there. There are certainly precedents for senior royals spending time abroad, and I'm sure something could have been worked out, had Harry and Meghan sat down with the Queen and Prince Charles and talked about it, which it doesn't sound as if they've really done.

Word on the street in the UK - no-one's very impressed.

if you havent noticed the Queen is about to retire and Charles has made it clear for years that he is going to shake things up and make changes to the dependency of non essential royals.

Any evidence to actually back any of your assertions up?

Sorry, I have a totally opposite opinion. I believe we live in the 2020s and this is a good way to disarm the media while staying together with the family. And a lot of people in social media think it is a positive thing, too. Let Willaim and Catherine be the future king and queen of the Uk (or what will be left of it) and let harry and Meghan keep their cake and eat it, too like all other rich people can do in today's world.

Hmmm having pondered this over night I think the best for all would be for them to give up being working royals completely. I don’t think the half and half would work as the line would be too blurred and still lead to bad media coverage.

Go live the quiet life in Canada with Archie. Come and join in on family days such as Trooping, Easter and Christmas. Do what charity work you want to but don’t muddle it up.

I do wonder if Meghan misses acting.

Sorry, I have a totally opposite opinion. I believe we live in the 2020s and this is a good way to disarm the media while staying together with the family. And a lot of people in social media think it is a positive thing, too. Let Willaim and Catherine be the future king and queen of the Uk (or what will be left of it) and let harry and Meghan keep their cake and eat it, too like all other rich people can do in today's world.

And who's stopping them from being in the family? You don't need titles and special money to do that. You just have contact or you don't. Vide the Princess Royal's children.

I do wonder if Meghan misses acting.
I think she's bored and tired with this life. And I don't blame her. But what was she thinking marrying the future King's son?

Maybe it's a matter of saving his marriage for Harry? Meghan clearly is the driving force for this decision. She just doesn't want this life.

One may assume that if they really want to be independent and led private lives and make living on their own they can always totally resign from Royal life, titles and privileges. Harry can disclaim his peerage and I'm sure that the Queen could issue a warrant to change their styles and titles as it depends entirely on the Sovereign's will. Princess Patricia of Connaught is an example.

Harry can't disclaim his title. It has to be done within 12 months of acquiring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom