The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:22 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Did the website url change? It is now https://sussexofficial.uk, wasn't it sussexroyal.com as noted on the first post of this thread?

ETA:
Nevermind, it is working now, maybe it was a temporary crash.
Sussexroyal (.com!) is their current site (brand) with all about how they see their future roles; Sussexofficial (.uk!) is where they announced their statement about taking matters to court.
__________________

  #262  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well clearly not. Wootton was pretty proud of his scoop despite people slagging him off all last night. Either way it was leaked and now they have responded.

I mean honestly Harry and Meghan were irrelevant in the grand scheme if things right> That is what was constantly said, so I am not sure why some of the same people are not upset they are gone. That is exactly what they wanted.

And their new website is sussexroyal.com for the one who asked.
It was hardly a scoop and should have forced no one's hand. In succession issues Meghan and Harry are unimportant but as working members of the family they are not. They had/have a job support the nation and charities and be seen. That job was still important, to use your platform to give a voice to the voiceless. Arguably they can still do this but without the institution as a platform, I cannot see that lasting long. Most celebrity philanthropists do it along with their job and can only do it because of their job. Most moneyed people can only do it because they are loaded. Meghan and Harry are not really wither of those things and it remains to be seen whether the star power translates without the engine,
__________________

  #263  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,528
I think the truth most likely lies somewhere in the middle.

I can well believe that the Sussex's had indicated their wish to step back and do things differently. Most likely done from their break in Canada. So in that sense, yes,the RF had an idea something was going to happen but exactly what, when, how etc was likely not discussed. I can well imagine that likewise HM and Charles probably expected further talks once the Sussex's had returned home. Who is going to negotiate details of such importance - effectively in many ways a divorce - over the phone UK to Canada.

So while aides were possibly investigating ways this could work but fully expecting plenty more time to talk it through- likely with HM having had time to think about her desired approach and outcome- H&M were commissioning the people who did Meghan's old tig website to put their desired outcome into a website format.

Some are saying that the Sun leaked news (or was about to) of the Sussex's plans and this spurned the Sussex's to make their statement and put their website live. I think the website will have hurt BP most as it basically is the Sussex's desired outcomes, that do not seem to have been agreed, in an attempt (or possibly by accident if we are being kind) to get their desired outcome. The 'answers' to the FAQs are so detailed it seems as if they are almost setting out their case for their desired outcome.
  #264  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you.

Is that all the statement says?
Because if so, it is very clear to me, and being as detached as possible, that the court was taken by surprise.

Because this announcement by H&M ought to have been followed up by a clear statement from the palace within the hour.

So logic says that this was not coordinated, that H&M's future role has not been finally resolved.
The full (but short) statement can easily be found on the website of the BRF. It came out rather quickly given that it seems they didn't or hardly receive a heads up.

Key phrases are: discussions at an early stage/understand desire different approach/complicated issues/take time.

And yes, all points in the direction of all being very premature and no agreements reached on how to proceed; the only exception is the Sussex website that explains in some detail how the two of them envision their (rather unrealistic imho) future roles.
  #265  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kailua, United States
Posts: 993
This is such a mess of...epic proportions. It's a manipulations of so many different people and different scenarios.

They included the bit about being "financially independent" in hopes it would curry support from British Taxpayer. (Cheers mates, we don't have to pay for you! Brilliant!)

They made their announcement, without seemingly having an actual plan in place with the Royal Family (who seem honestly blindsided, and now trying to save face)... and in doing so, meant they get to keep their titles and HRH for the time being. Because now, if the palace comes out and tells them, "You want to be independent, be independent, but do it without being a Duke of Sussex or an HRH." They look retalitory.

This whole thing looks like a couple of petulant, over indulged teenagers who want to have their cake and eat it too.
__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone should experience.

Be a good person.
  #266  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:28 PM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
It was hardly a scoop and should have forced no one's hand. In succession issues Meghan and Harry are unimportant but as working members of the family they are not. They had/have a job support the nation and charities and be seen. That job was still important, to use your platform to give a voice to the voiceless. Arguably they can still do this but without the institution as a platform, I cannot see that lasting long. Most celebrity philanthropists do it along with their job and can only do it because of their job. Most moneyed people can only do it because they are loaded. Meghan and Harry are not really wither of those things and it remains to be seen whether the star power translates without the engine,
Clearly something happened. I am not saying I disagree with you but for them to do something this drastic says something was not right. The aids were just saying they were in many meetings yesterday. Was it about this? Many questions. This didn't just happen overnight and despite the spin... I doubt anyone in the family are that shocked they wanted to walk away.
  #267  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kailua, United States
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think the truth most likely lies somewhere in the middle.

I can well believe that the Sussex's had indicated their wish to step back and do things differently. Most likely done from their break in Canada. So in that sense, yes,the RF had an idea something was going to happen but exactly what, when, how etc was likely not discussed. I can well imagine that likewise HM and Charles probably expected further talks once the Sussex's had returned home. Who is going to negotiate details of such importance - effectively in many ways a divorce - over the phone UK to Canada.

So while aides were possibly investigating ways this could work but fully expecting plenty more time to talk it through- likely with HM having had time to think about her desired approach and outcome- H&M were commissioning the people who did Meghan's old tig website to put their desired outcome into a website format.

Some are saying that the Sun leaked news (or was about to) of the Sussex's plans and this spurned the Sussex's to make their statement and put their website live. I think the website will have hurt BP most as it basically is the Sussex's desired outcomes, that do not seem to have been agreed, in an attempt (or possibly by accident if we are being kind) to get their desired outcome. The 'answers' to the FAQs are so detailed it seems as if they are almost setting out their case for their desired outcome.
I wish people on twitter were this logical and rational. No, I do not think it comes as a surprise to anyone at BP, that H&M were unhappy and looking to do things different. I'm sure conversations were had. The surprise was in the fact that they made an announcement today, and went ahead with their launch, seemingly without a plan in place. And it truly doesn't seem there was a plan in place. Harry is supposed to be one of 4 key members in the succession, how does that now work?

This is a couple who very clearly likes the shock and awe factor and the attention it brings them. But I can see this going poorly very quickly. At least in Britain.
__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone should experience.

Be a good person.
  #268  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
If the Sussexes wanted the element of surprise as a sort of leverage, they have it. For about 48 hours is my guess.

Then they lose whatever advantage they might have had because I find it hard to believe that no one at BP has long since gamed out what might happen if they took this tack.

Interesting days ahead at BP, BBC, DM, etc.

And that means interesting days at The Royal Forums as well. God bless the mods!
Indeed I agree. It will be an interesting week but by the end of it the House of Windsor will win the war because they are ruthless in order to survive and I would not want to be on the wrong side. Many things will happen over the week and there will be a brief statement from on high basically leaving Harry and Meghan with not very much but probably giving them some cash so they won't use their titles for monetary gain.and in the end, when we and they are all gone people will look at it and see the ones who sacrificed because of the genetic nonlottery, who lived dutiful lives and feel respect and admiration for what they did and what they gave up. And that too is sad because Harry too has done good work to date.
  #269  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,650
This seems to be the above referenced story from The Sun. It was published on the newspaper's website on Tuesday, January 7.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/106934...ove-to-canada/

It says:

Quote:
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are looking to move to Canada for a significant portion of this year as they actively consider their future role in the Royal Family.

Long-term options being floated include the Sussexes relinquishing their HRH titles or relocating their office to Canada.

The Sun has learned they will start discussing their plans with senior royals – expected to include the Queen and Prince Charles – in the coming days.

But sources stressed the talks are preliminary and nothing has yet been finalised.

[...]
The article then quotes further details from anonymous "friends of the couple".
  #270  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:32 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Clearly something happened. I am not saying I disagree with you but for them to do something this drastic says something was not right. The aids were just saying they were in many meetings yesterday. Was it about this? Many questions. This didn't just happen overnight and despite the spin... I doubt anyone in the family are that shocked they wanted to walk away.
I agree. The fact that they released this information without the consulting of BP is disappointing but is also concerning. It definitely seems like a "third party" was involved here. It just seems fishy and out of character for Harry and Meghan who have been involved with so many charities and engagements connected to the BRF - especially Harry with his Walking With The Wounded and Invitcus Games involvement.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #271  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The full (but short) statement can easily be found on the website of the BRF. It came out rather quickly given that it seems they didn't or hardly receive a heads up.

And yes, all points in the direction of all being very premature and no agreements reached on how to proceed; the only exception is the Sussex website that explains in some detail how the two of them envision their (rather unrealistic imho) future roles.

Key phrases are: discussions at an early stage/understand desire different approach/complicated issues/take time.
Thanks.

And I agree.

The full Palace statement for reference:
"Published 8 January 2020

Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through"

So either:
A) H&M panicked and issued their statement way too premature and without consulting the palace first. - That is more than ill-advised IMO! Any competent advisor should IMO have counseled against such a move.
B) Or and that's pretty ominous, H&M lost patience and tried to force events in their desired direction. That would IMO be a very unwise move because in that way they have angered not only the BRF, but the British population in general as well? (Britons here can answer that question better than me.)
  #272  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Clearly something happened. I am not saying I disagree with you but for them to do something this drastic says something was not right. The aids were just saying they were in many meetings yesterday. Was it about this? Many questions. This didn't just happen overnight and despite the spin... I doubt anyone in the family are that shocked they wanted to walk away.
See what the bbc said. They knew for about a week but no decisions actually had been made.
  #273  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,795
And the Government with all that ?
I mean, can you just make up unilaterally a website claiming you'll be a semi-royal or whatever, minding your own business in the US but pop up occasionally to represent the UK overseas ?
I guess the Government has a say, or worse, is maybe fed up with yet another royal antics in the let's say current challenging times.
  #274  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Cheers mates, we don't have to pay for you! Brilliant!
If they honestly think the British Taxpayer is in any hurry to cough up to fund a Couple widely seen as recklessly extravagant, already 'rich as Croesus', and horribly 'woke', they are even more out of touch than I thought..

That it now appears they have done this thing without consulting ANY of those most closely affected by it, puts 'the Tin lid' on any popularity they once had..

As the Times Columnist, Iain Martin puts it : Takes quite a special sense of narcissistic self-indulgence to treat the 93 year-old Queen, with a husband in failing health, the way Harry and Meghan have today.
  #275  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
This is such a mess of...epic proportions. It's a manipulations of so many different people and different scenarios.

They included the bit about being "financially independent" in hopes it would curry support from British Taxpayer. (Cheers mates, we don't have to pay for you! Brilliant!)

They made their announcement, without seemingly having an actual plan in place with the Royal Family (who seem honestly blindsided, and now trying to save face)... and in doing so, meant they get to keep their titles and HRH for the time being. Because now, if the palace comes out and tells them, "You want to be independent, be independent, but do it without being a Duke of Sussex or an HRH." They look retalitory.

This whole thing looks like a couple of petulant, over indulged teenagers who want to have their cake and eat it too.

Reminds me of a Panorama interview........
  #276  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,074
Silly question, but how would Harry and Meghan live and work in Canada for an extended period of time ? What would their immigration status be ? I am assuming neither one is a Canadian citizen.
  #277  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:39 PM
duchesschicana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London, United States
Posts: 288
..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
They seem to think that they will continue carrying out oversees trips representing the Government. Have they not noticed that those trips are only taken by senior members of the family? When for example did Beatrice and Eugenie go on a royal tour in the last few years as 'other royals with financial independence'?
Beatrice has done tours similar to royal tours, all done privately rather than behalf of HM. She was in Laos from October 18-25, 2018. Her main purpose there was to promote UK in LAOS and she was there as a witness to sign letters of intention to establish the first "New Generation School" in Laos. UK in Laos promoted the tour, she met representatives, mayors etc. There is a bunch of lovely photos from that trip..

Also on, October 2016, Princess Beatrice went on a South Asia tour that lasted nine days. She was visiting Nepal, India, and Bhutan on Behalf of the Franks Family Foundation (FFF), Jamgon Kongtrul Eyes Centere’s- A free micro-surgical cataract program, is in technical collaboration with Nepal’s Tilganga Eye Centre under the direction of the esteemed Dr. Sanduk Ruit.

She also spent spent 2 hours at a orphange buying the kids lunch, etc.

Supposedly, while she was there she met the royal family of Bhutan. She seems to do these tours on Behalf of the Franks Family Foundation.

Eugenie has visited India And both York Princesses visited Germany in 2013.

I’m sure The Sussexes will still do tours officially or not as Beatrice seems to do similiar tours
  #278  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
And the Government with all that ?
I mean, can you just make up unilaterally a website claiming you'll be a semi-royal or whatever, minding your own business in the US but pop up occasionally to represent the UK overseas ?
I guess the Government has a say, or worse, is maybe fed up with yet another royal antics in the let's say current challenging times.
Harry and Meghan can state they are still available for the Government to go on royal tours; however, it seems very unlikely that the government wants to send a half British/half American couple with professional careers of their own to represent them. And if they would want them to, they would have to ask the Sovereign as the only reason would be that they are still her family members - but I don't see her agreeing on that, now they have decided they are no longer interested in the role that was prepared for them and in which they were given a lot of opportunity to take on a huge Commonwealth role.

Harry and Meghan can easily continue with their private charitable causes but I am curious to see how their Commonwealth roles (that seemed to have been a way to provide them with a clear and interesting path of their own within the institution but that apparently wasn't 'enough' for them) will play out...
  #279  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
You know this is one of two things.

1. Like everyone says. Tanturming teens.

2. Two people who are actually spinning out of control and need support more than anything else

Because this done calmly would have been a brief statement announcing a resigning from public duties, continuing to be in the family, yaga yaga.

But this is none of those things. It is volatile and quite frankly a little scary. I don't know whether to despair at them or worry about them profoundly.
  #280  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
Beatrice has done tours similar to royal tours, all done privately rather than behalf of HM. (…)

I’m sure The Sussexes will still do tours officially or not as Beatrice seems to do similiar tours
Their website suggests that they expect to do royal tours representing the government. That's what seems highly unlikely in their 'new working model'. The relevant bit is:
Quote:
Why do they carry out official overseas visits and who pays for it?
The Duke and Duchess proudly carry out official overseas visits in support of Her Majesty The Queen at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)(…). The length and location of these tours are determined by the FCO (…). All Official overseas visits are in support of Her Majesty’s Government’s objectives and paid for by The Sovereign Grant (…)
But yes, I fully assume that as part of their new charity/celebrity status they will still do visits to various countries attracting lots of media attention.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020 Dman The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1150 09-06-2020 07:30 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america american archie mountbatten-windsor baby names biography british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house cpr daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii family life fashion and style general news thread george vi gradenigo harry and meghan hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg hypothetical monarchs jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king willem-alexander list of rulers mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise queen victoria resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spain speech suthida thailand thai royal family uae customs unfinished portrait united states welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×